PDA

View Full Version : Business atire?

Ben There
04-29-07, 04:37
I am coming for 5 days, most of which is business meeitngs. I am coming from a country that is pretty informal in business and particularly since I am in the Tourism trade we don't do suits. Whats the attire in general in BA? Also what about dining out is BA formal. Not? Thanks for the input.

AllIWantIsLove
04-29-07, 11:47
I can't address attire for business meetings. As for dining out, I've often seen older gentlemen in suits and ties on the weekends and in the better resturants. But in general I do not see guys in suits and ties. That's in better resturants. I don't have experience in the best resturants. I recall once walking by that group of upscale resturants near the Four Seasons and I think that I saw a lot of suits and ties in those places.

Bob

BA Luvr
04-29-07, 13:39
It depends on what your company is used to. If business casual is the norm at your company, and the Argies travel and know the corporate customs, then business casual is OK in BA too. (My company is all business casual, but no jeans. For dinner, my company locals will wear a sports jacket but no tie, which is a safe bet almost anyplace.

There are some countries where tie and jacket are expected, but even they make allowances for Americans who are notoriously informal. I think it depends on the industry, though. Finance and Investment Banking are probably more comfortable with ties. Manufacturing is probably more business casual, and Software is very casual. I would expect Tourism to be business casual.

I have never felt out of place without a tie except maybe at the opera house. Hope this helps.

Aqualung
04-30-07, 00:26
Old school places like the American club or the Yacht club expect you to wear a tie (they usually have a few you can borrow) otherwise the best bet in Argentina is a blazer and slacks - you'll never be out of place wherever you go.