PDA

View Full Version : Electronic or T. V. Question

Sky Ryder
05-15-07, 10:37
I brought a televison from the EeUu here and when I bought it the package said it would support a PAL signal as well as NTSC. I now find out that it was "mislabeled" and this particular model only supports the NTSC signal. I tried using it as a monitor and using a local VHS tape player as the tuner, thinking that maybe that would solve the problem, but no luck. I am hoping that one of you enterprising mongers might know if I can buy an adapter or some type of signal transformer to make this thing work with the local signal. I can get the picture in black and white, but it doesn't fit the screen. Any info and ideas where I might purchase such a unit would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sky

Seaman
05-15-07, 12:18
Is it a flat panel TV? Then you might be lucky if you can change the software to an European version.

Hardware converters do exist, but to get a good enough quality out of the TV you are spending more on the converter then on a new TV.

MCSE
05-15-07, 12:42
If is a new LCD, you can try http://directv.users.wiroos.net/home/index.php direct tv, the signal supports NTSC format, call 011-41312280 and talk to Brenda from customer support. I tell you this because I had a similar problem.

BadMan
05-15-07, 12:57
MCSE is 100% correct,

I have a 42 inch flat screen from the US, I cannot use the local cable channels with it, so I called DirectTV and they hooked me up. I can get 100% better cable from DirectTV, than with any other cable company and they have no problem with NTSC. The only problem you might encounter is you won't be able to view certain dvd's on it, but Cable TV should be no problem.

Check them out, the full HBO, Cinemax, Adult package is about $140 pesos a month.

Bad

Rock Harders
05-15-07, 19:03
Mongers-

Directv is definetly the answer here because it can be hooked up to the tv unit using the RCA plugs (white, red, yellow) instead of a coaxial cable as would normally be the case with standard cable setups. Playing DVD's has nothing to do with whether a NTSC or PAL signal is used; DVD's are coded for regional use, and assuming you are coming from the USA, North and South America are in the same DVD region, so there will be no compatibility issues. Europeans are in a different coded region and therefore will have compatibility issues with DVD's.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

BadMan
05-15-07, 20:14
I have a Canadian DVD player hooked up to my US flat screen, I can play ALL the US dvd's I want. BUT, I have had several issues with Argentine dvd's, I go to the local video store often, I am practically a platinum member. 9 out of 10 dvd's give me NO problem, but there are certain dvd's that do. I am speaking from personal experience only. I have gotten a total of maybe 10-15 dvd's I have not been able to play on my dvd player, out of 100-120 I have rented. All my European dvd's don't work at all, but I can easily play them on my laptop.

I hope you don't have any problems with your US equipment as far as dvd's are concerned but I have had some problems.

Bad

Alan23
05-15-07, 21:52
There is some incorrect information regarding regions in this thread. See the map attached below or consult the link below for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

By Google searching: your DVD model number and the word "Hacks" you may well find the simple "entries" necessary to convert your region specific player to "Region 0" - which is non-region specific, allowing all discs to be played.

With regards to NTSC / PAL / SECAM, most recent DVD players will allow you to "select" the type of "color system" that is outputted to the TV. Thus allowing various combination of systems to work together.

In the last couple of years Sam's Club / Walmart was selling a progressive scan DVD player that was multi-voltage, easily converted to "Region 0", selectable color system output, and all for $30 USD.

Hope this helps,

Alan