PDA

View Full Version : Duties on Laptop computer

Big Nose
05-24-07, 19:00
I can buy a new laptop in California for US$400.

I want to send it to a friend in Buenos Aires.

Anyone know how custums duties work on this?

Thanks.

By the way, please answer fast, This deal won't last.

JengisKhan
05-24-07, 19:26

Thanks.

By the way, please answer fast, This deal won't last.If by send you mean ship, then I think you will have problems. Sorry, I can't be more specific, but as far as I know you would need to pay a very large customs duty, and pick it up at ezeiza, as well as paying for international shipping. I wouldn't be suprised if getting it here cost you as much as the laptop itself.

Exon123
05-24-07, 20:58
Your going to have to carry it down personally Big Nose.

Exon

Ampfofu
05-24-07, 21:21
I shipped some things to my family in Argentina last year. WOW it was a hasle. I would never do it again. Let me explain: I sent some new items, the total cost here was around 150 dollars. On the shipping label you have to state the value for customs. When customs got my package they charged my family in argentina another 150 dollars for customs. Total rip off. If I did not send new items then customs has people that will put a value on the stuff and can still charge you the customs fees for that. Also remember Argentina has almost the worst mailing system ever, make sure you are sending your stuff to a good address, and be prepared for the package to be opened from customs and who knows who else.

El Perro
05-24-07, 21:26
Big Nose,

Just don't do it. It's a nightmare.

StrayLight
05-25-07, 12:47
I'm not 100% certain, but I think the customs duties are 50% of the value.

So if you are buying a decent laptop for $400, you'd conceivably end up paying $600 plus shipping. Depending on how decent the laptop is, it could still be a hell of a good deal.

SL

SteveC
05-25-07, 13:38
In my experience importing electrical goods, you'll pay 50% of the stated value, but this can vary according to the whim of the guy in the post office. And the Argentine postal system is the worst I've ever come across, full of thieves.

Master J
05-26-07, 03:43
I have been sending various boxes of gifts, toys, clothes, chocolates by the usps. I believe none of them have been opened as she reports. Does customs scan packages, or do they go according to the customs form that I fill out at the post office which I always say gift, correspondence, no value. How would they know it was a laptop. Can it be a gift?

Andres
05-26-07, 13:07

Thanks.

By the way, please answer fast, This deal won't last.As far as I remember, duties on electronics are 50%.

As other posters stated, I wouldn't send the laptop by postal mail. Too insecure and unreliable.

Bring it on your own when traveling there. If you are really really in a hurry to send it, find the local latino weekly paper (there should be quite a few on any Latin American grocery store in California) and look for ads of transportation companies. They bring stuff to different countries based on a fee per kilogram. Not sure if reliable (buyer beware) but at least not many hands involved.

I brought one on my own, they didn't ask anything. When leaving the country with the laptop again, I made it be registered on the AFIP booth in Ezeiza (located between the officers who check passports and boarding passes and the ray-scan machines) They issued a ticket with the serial # on it, what has the effect of "cleaning" the laptop for bringing it back.

As a side comment, I will post some previous experiences regarding importing stuff by mail:

- I ordered a spare part from Germany for an imported refrigerator. It ended up in the international postal warehouse (in the Retiro neighborhood, on Antártida Argentina Blvd. A one-story big depot) There, employees made me pay 40% of the invoiced price. It arrived perfectly.

- I bought some clothes from Land's End, and the shipment "ended on the same land" as the previous one. I paid something (not more than 20% , as I remember) The apparel arrived in perfect conditions.

- I bought a lot of books from Amazon US, and they always arrived directly at my apartment in 2-3 weeks. No fees, no losses, no packages open.

- I sent some CDs from the US to Argentina using regular mail (no invoices, no tracking #, no nothing) and they never arrived. Go figure.

Andres

Kevins
05-27-07, 19:46
Actually there is a way. Not the easiest but reasonable.

A company called Transexpress (www.transexpress.com) is affiliated with a courier service in Buenos Aires info@logic-pack.com.ar
(www.logic-pack.com.ar) Logic Pack srl.

Tel / Fax: (5411) 4371-2428 / 4372-2771.

Explain to them in Argentina what you want to send BEFORE and they will advise how, how much and how long BUT.

You have to make sure an invoice does go with the shipment. A 500 dollar notebook will cost about 250 to get here including taxes, but notebooks of more cost are not able to be entered via this method. Limits. Package size and no more than $1,000 including freight and tax per shipment but strange things can be done. I brought a vintage air airconditioner including radiator compessor for a Ford Falcon in 4 shipments legally and a cnc router in three shipments legally. Where this company helps is they consolidate air freight in Florida and so you have a US address to ship to and they clear it and deliver to your door. It is traceable all the way.

I am not saying they are saints and I have had a few difficulties but everything I ever shipped through them arrived at my door.

TangoManiac
05-29-07, 10:42
Try the hawala route. (paperless banking used in the Middle East for centuries that drives the US insane) Either find someone going to Argentina and have them carry it or have a senior member of this forum take it on their next trip and offer 100 bucks for a madahos chica. I'd recommend someone that posts often so that the chances of them absconding go down.

I brought a laptop once. Had it in a regular school backpack. No questions asked on the way in or out. Granted they didn't open my bags. But if you're on the 3 month tourist visa you can argue that its to check your email while you're there.

El Aleman
05-30-07, 08:32
A laptop is considered a normal "personal use" item nearly everywhere on the world, like a camera, video camera, cell phone etc. I never had any problem carrying it across a border, not in Europe, not in the U. S., nor in South America. And if it goes in without a paper trail, who cares if it comes back out?

The worst that could happen is that customs requires you to declare it in some way. In that case, of course, it should go out again - but that happened never to me, after 2 passports full of stamps worth travelling.

2 centavos de.

El Alemán

Master J
06-02-07, 00:47
I have been sending USPS express mail, I, boxes to my Fiance / Ex Girlfriend / Friend depending on the day for the past 3 years. My most recent box which was not opened until pick up, was told they would let it through this time, but next time would be a 50% duty. I have been sending clothes, CD, etc, and this was the first time the the postal marked gift as well the usual documents although I do not know if anything would have made it through? Any thoughts regarding? I will be sending something next week. Fed Ex is out of line. I wonder if regular would be the same.

Thank you.

Rainot
06-02-07, 01:55
Try the hawala route. (paperless banking used in the Middle East for centuries that drives the US insane) Either find someone going to Argentina and have them carry it or have a senior member of this forum take it on their next trip and offer 100 bucks for a Madahos chica. I'd recommend someone that posts often so that the chances of them absconding go down.

I brought a laptop once. Had it in a regular school backpack. No questions asked on the way in or out. Granted they didn't open my bags. But if you're on the 3 month tourist visa you can argue that its to check your email while you're there.ROFL, that's an offer one certainly can't deny, huh?

I too think the hawala route is the best option. I paid 100 bucks to a contact of mine here who travels to Florida regularly, on his next trip he purchased the PDA I wanted (540 USD new, in the US) and in a weeks' time I had it in my hands (670USD total) I saved over 200USD (shipping + 50% customs fee + praying they wouldn't steal it) He uses pilots and stewardesses too to bring stuff, but I don't know about laptops. Gotta ask him, cause those gadgets are big and heavy.

Jago25
11-03-10, 11:51
Know of a good hawalarer in BA though?

Jaimito Cartero
11-05-10, 18:20
They are checking computers and cell phones at customs now, at least from many Intl flights. Had a form to fill out when arriving from US, no forms when flying in from ASU.