PDA

View Full Version : Specialty food and beverage stores

StrayLight
06-18-07, 23:56
Thread starter.

StrayLight
06-18-07, 23:57
This is a cool little shop on Arenales between Callao and Rodriquez Peña. They carry a small selection of those things that make being in France so great: baguettes...nice cheeses...terrines...pates...rillettes...mousse...tartes...and a bunch of other nice things to nibble on. Based on several visits now, my own views are as follows:

Baguettes: Would not pass the muster in Paris, but a welcome relief here.

Rillettes of rabbit: Very good. Sometimes could use a little more seasoning, but you can do that at home.

Terrine de campagne: Very good. Made me realize that the lame terrine de campagne at Granda's was not a result of their being in Argentina.

Creamy goat cheese: Excellent. I've had two or three different types now, and all have been superb.

Fruit tarts: Excellent.

Brownies: Very good.

To be sure, this is not Parisian-quality food. But...it actually beats the hell out of what I've been finding in so-called "French" restaurants around town to date. And it sure as hell provides a welcome relief from The Master Menu.

StrayLight
06-19-07, 00:08
This is a really nice little indoor market of about 20 or so little stalls of cheeses, seafood, meat, poultry, produce, etc. A porteno friend told me that it used to have twice to three times as many operating stalls as it has now, but even now it's worth a visit if you're looking to make a meal that's a little off the beaten track.

My favorites are a butcher who specializes in pork products, and two poultry stalls that have wild duck, quail, and a bunch of other birds that you won't find in Coto, Jumbo, or Disco. There's also a fresh produce stall that has a handful of little things that you don't normally see around town.

If you have a kitchen and are into cooking, this is definitely a place you will want to know about and visit every now and again.

CarneValistico
07-12-07, 22:28
Hi All!

Where can I find my beloved smoked blackforrest ham?

Regards,

Carnevalistico

Andres
07-12-07, 22:29
Hi All!

Where can I find my beloved smoked blackforrest ham?

Regards,

Carnevalistico2 Suggestions:

- There is a famous butchery at Benavidez (40 km from Capital) called Fiambrería Alemana (or El Alemán, something relatred to Germans) You can find a branch in Palermo, close to Cabello St and Lafinur St (if I remember well) Very expensive but very good.

- There is an INCREDIBLE butchery store at km 165 of Route 205, El Hornero (if I remember well) It takes a long ride from BA, and buying 10 kg of different pork products could cost USD 100. But believe me. It's worth the ride.

Hope this helps,

Andres

CarneValistico
07-12-07, 22:30
Hi Andres,

Thanks a lot, while I am into cooking, this is realy a good advice!