PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Vasco Frances (French Basque Club) - Moreno 1370

StrayLight
06-27-07, 18:23
This place kicks ass.

It's a social club, with a pretty big restaurant upstairs. If you have the opportunity to wander around, the social club aspects of it are pretty interesting. I guess there was a pretty big and pretty active French Basque community in the early-20th century.

Anyway, the food and dining room are great. The dining room is a grand cavern that was clearly very elegant in its heyday, although it's still pretty impressive.

You can see the menu here: http://www.rvascofrances.com.ar/

As is typical (in my experience) with Basque food, there is a heavy emphasis on seafood, and lots of garlic.

I went with three other people, and between us we ordered four different appetizers and four different main courses. All of it was very, very good: calamari...clams...rabbit...paella...white salmon...a few other things I can't remember. It was just about the only time I've seen a group I was with uniformly agree that literally all the food was good.

The menu may seem pricey, and I guess it is by Buenos Aires standards. But the portions are big, and if you're on a date or whatever, there's no reason why you can't split things. Even the 1/2 portion entries are big enough to split if you're having other stuff.

And the service was excellent.

All in all, I'd recommend this place highly. It's different, and it's good.

El Perro
06-27-07, 20:55
And Inaki is a stones throw away on the same block of Moreno. A nice block to know.

El Perro
11-03-08, 14:22
I made it here the other night with a fellow monger. Impressive place with a grand dining room. Packed. Unfortunately, I ordered the Paella Mixta, which was tragically overcooked. All of the wonderful ingredients with close to zero taste. The rabbit tasted like the shrimp and vice versa. Judging from other reports just an unlucky night for me.

I expect I'll make it back here but with Inaki on the same street, I'll be tempted to go there.

KeithEdwards
11-03-08, 19:22
I owe you some money. Will you be at Madeleine any time soon?

El Perro
11-03-08, 19:37
I owe you some money. Will you be at Madeleine any time soon?KE-check your PMs. Small bills only. 5, 10 and 20 denominations. Don't make me check to see if they are bogus. I don't like that.

Argento
11-22-08, 18:02
I made it here the other night with a fellow monger. Impressive place with a grand dining room. Packed. Unfortunately, I ordered the Paella Mixta, which was tragically overcooked. All of the wonderful ingredients with close to zero taste. The rabbit tasted like the shrimp and vice versa. Judging from other reports just an unlucky night for me.

I expect I'll make it back here but with Inaki on the same street, I'll be tempted to go there.I was there 2 weeks back and the meal I had was OK. My guest's meal was in-edible and my desert was a play on a Creme Brulee and was an absolute dud. Over-hyped and over-priced.

Argento