PDA

View Full Version : Does it Snow in BA?

El Perro
07-09-07, 18:22
Yes, right now.

Sportsman
07-09-07, 20:37
I left 95F tempearture for snow in July? I'm outta here.

PS: Posting from EZE.

Punter 127
07-09-07, 20:54
What have you guys been smoking? Snow in BA?:confused:

Sportsman
07-09-07, 21:01
On the way to EZE, I actually saw some snow accumulation on the grass.

El Perro
07-09-07, 21:13
Apparently the first snowfall in BA since 1918.

Sportsman
07-09-07, 22:04
All the US bound flights just got canceled for the night including mine until sometime tomorrow night due to no de-iceing equipment. Time for me to fucking scramble. :mad:

El Perro
07-09-07, 22:13
All the US bound flights just got canceled for the night including mine until sometime tomorrow night due to no de-iceing equipment. Time for me to fucking scramble.:mad:Now that IS bad timing. Suerte.

Thomaso276
07-09-07, 23:14
Jesus what will that do to my flight for Wed night?

Thomaso276
07-10-07, 00:44
I checked online and it looks like all inbound flights from Miami, NY were also cancelled tonight - gonna f'up things tommorrow.

Member #1164
07-10-07, 08:40
I have lived here almost 4 years now and yesterday was the first time it snowed in BA. Was nice to see snowfall since I like the winter time.

German Azis
07-10-07, 09:42
Yes, and its was very rare but wonderfull!

Its the first time in more than 70 years that snowed in BsAs!

Besides that, there were snow in a lot of other cities in Arg that didnt ever snowd!

Cheers!

German "the cat" Azis

Punter 127
07-10-07, 11:41
Any updates on todays flights?

Coach 245
07-10-07, 11:46
I know the chicas are freezing now and will need lots of help warming up!

Coach

Sportsman
07-10-07, 12:23
I'm back to EZE this morning at 8:00 am. United will use the plane that arrived this morning, turn it around to fly us out since it does not need to be de-iced. The plane that was here last night will be used for tonight's flight. Both planes are sitting on the tarmac now. My flight is scheduled to depart at 11:30 am but it still hasn't begun to board yet.

Punter 127
07-10-07, 12:30
I'm back to EZE this morning at 8:00 am. United will use the plane that arrived this morning, turn it around to fly us out since it does not need to be de-iced. The plane that was here last night will be used for tonight's flight. Both planes are sitting in the tarmac now. My flight is scheduled to depart at 11:30 am but it still hasn't begun to board yet.Good luck getting out Buddy, have a safe trip.

El Queso
07-10-07, 13:48
Hope you got out alright Sportsman. Tough luck coming in and going out, eh?

Not only did it snow, but it was some of the thickest snow I've seen in a winter in St Louis. I'm a Houston boy originally, so I don't have a lot of experience with snow. But at one point it was snowing so heavily the building a block away, over the parking garage next door, was partially obscured.

It snowed for hours.

Tiger
07-10-07, 14:00
Its been over 100f in most of the states in the USA and its snowing in B. A. Last time it snowed it was 80 years ago. I hope you all have you snow chains on.

Tiger

Hlover
07-10-07, 22:41
Buenos Aires Gets First Snow Since 1918

By BILL CORMIER, Associated Press Writer.

Monday, July 9, 2007

(07-09) 19:35 PDT BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) --

Thousands of Argentines cheered and threw snowballs in the streets of Buenos Aires on Monday as the capital's first major snowfall since 1918 spread a thin white mantle across the region.

Wet snow fell for hours in the Argentine capital, accumulating in a mushy but thin white layer late Monday, after freezing air from Antarctica collided with a moisture-laden low pressure system that blanketed higher elevations in western and central Argentina with snow.

"Despite all my years, this is the first time I've ever seen in snow in Buenos Aires," said Juana Benitez, an 82-year-old who joined children celebrating in the streets.

Argentina's National Weather Service said it was the first major snow in Buenos Aires since June 22, 1918, though sleet or freezing rain have been periodically reported in decades since.

One man stripped to his shorts to welcome the snow. Children scraped snow off cars and threw snowballs. Motorists honked horns, some with small snowmen on their hoods. Some fender benders were reported on slick suburban streets.

The storm struck on Argentina's Independence Day holiday, adding to a festive air and prompting radio stations to play an old tango song inspired by the 1918 snowfall, "What a night!"

"This is the kind of weather phenomenon that comes along every 100 years," forecaster Hector Ciappesoni told La Nacion newspaper. "It is very difficult to predict."

The snow followed a bitter cold snap in late May that saw subfreezing temperatures, the coldest in 40 years in Buenos Aires. That cold wave contributed to an energy crisis and 23 deaths from exposure.

Two more exposure deaths were reported on Monday.

Schmoj
03-17-08, 04:45
I'm back to EZE this morning at 8:00 am. United will use the plane that arrived this morning, turn it around to fly us out since it does not need to be de-iced. The plane that was here last night will be used for tonight's flight. Both planes are sitting on the tarmac now. My flight is scheduled to depart at 11:30 am but it still hasn't begun to board yet.Hey, I was on that flight. The one that made it half way through Brazil and turned back because the bathrooms weren't functioning. 48 door to door from BsAs to California.