PDA

View Full Version : Penalty for overstaying 90 day visa

Mpexy
07-20-07, 07:46
During my entire 1.5yr stay in Argentina, I usually took a trip out to Colonia for a same day in / out renewal of my 90day tourist visa a few days before it was due to expire.

However, my last time I was late and was on day 95 or 96, forgot which. I wondered what would happen when I took my flight out of EZE, and long story short - it was a 50 peso fine. And everyone there treated it as totally routine.

The details - when I showed up at EZE, the United initial check-in girl noted my visa had expired but otherwise did nothing and waved me to the counter line. Same thing when actually checking in and getting my boarding pass. However, after paying airport exit fee and going through the first security check to the immigration room, the guy there said my passport was out of order and I had to go downstairs to talk to the actual immigration office.

So I had to exit back out, only hassle there is the security check wants to see your boarding pass to leave as well as enter, then went downstairs, and with some direction from the Info kiosk, found the immigration office in one corner of the airport. Office is actually misleading - its a little open wall window with a little counter ledge in front of it.

No line when I got there and when I stepped up starting to try and explain why I was there, that I'd counted wrong on my days left, blah blah - the woman there didn't care and didn't even want to see my passport - so for all she knew, I was 5 days expired, or 5 months expired. She never looked. All she did once she heard I had been sent down because my 90day visa was expired was hand me a form that had 4 identical copies to be filled out.

All the info required was my name, that's it. I put down my passport number but no one seemed to care about that either. The immigration office lady told me to now go to the Banco Nacion just around the corner and present that to the bank for my penalty payment, then come back with the stamped copies they gave me. So I went to the bank, and again, the guy there didnt even want to see my passport - so again, far as he knew I was overstaying my tourist visa by years and that didnt seem to change the penalty cost - he just automatically stamped 50 - 50 - 50 -50 on all my copies and asked for 50 pesos. So I paid, and he stamped all four copies again as paid, kept 2 copies and gave me back the other 2.

I went back to the immigration office, the lady added an approval for exit stamp, kept one copy and gave me the last and final one, and told me to now go back to the regular immigration check upstairs.

So I went back up top, gave the immigration check guy my passport and my penalty paid form, and he stamped me out with the usual lack of attention and boredom as any other time I've exited Argentina.

Oh, before all that happened, none of the banks or cambio stations in the airport would exchange any of my pesos to dollars or any other currency because they said my passport was out of order and supposedly they are not allowed to process anything without a valid passport.

So my take away from all this is that the argentines are rabidly strict about the 90day limit (whereas in many other countries I've travelled to, I'd never paid a penalty and just got waved out with a don't do it again frown) - but as long as you go through their little bureaucracy they don't give a damn whether you overstayed days, months, or years.

Maybe there's some counter in their system that tracks how many times you've overstayed, but as far as this first one, no one in that entire chain of getting a stamp to exit bothered or even wanted to take my passport - it was just the form in quadruplicate, payment stamp, then exit stamp.

Esten
07-20-07, 22:09
Thanks for the detailed info. 50 pesos isn't much of a fine.

Facundo
07-21-07, 07:04
During my entire 1.5yr stay in Argentina, I usually took a trip out to Colonia for a same day in / out renewal of my 90day tourist visa a few days before it was due to expire.

However, my last time I was late and was on day 95 or 96, forgot which. I wondered what would happen when I took my flight out of EZE, and long story short - it was a 50 peso fine. And everyone there treated it as totally routine.

The details - when I showed up at EZE, the United initial check-in girl noted my visa had expired but otherwise did nothing and waved me to the counter line. Same thing when actually checking in and getting my boarding pass. However, after paying airport exit fee and going through the first security check to the immigration room, the guy there said my passport was out of order and I had to go downstairs to talk to the actual immigration office.

So I had to exit back out, only hassle there is the security check wants to see your boarding pass to leave as well as enter, then went downstairs, and with some direction from the Info kiosk, found the immigration office in one corner of the airport. Office is actually misleading - its a little open wall window with a little counter ledge in front of it.

No line when I got there and when I stepped up starting to try and explain why I was there, that I'd counted wrong on my days left, blah blah - the woman there didn't care and didn't even want to see my passport - so for all she knew, I was 5 days expired, or 5 months expired. She never looked. All she did once she heard I had been sent down because my 90day visa was expired was hand me a form that had 4 identical copies to be filled out.

All the info required was my name, that's it. I put down my passport number but no one seemed to care about that either. The immigration office lady told me to now go to the Banco Nacion just around the corner and present that to the bank for my penalty payment, then come back with the stamped copies they gave me. So I went to the bank, and again, the guy there didnt even want to see my passport - so again, far as he knew I was overstaying my tourist visa by years and that didnt seem to change the penalty cost - he just automatically stamped 50 - 50 - 50 -50 on all my copies and asked for 50 pesos. So I paid, and he stamped all four copies again as paid, kept 2 copies and gave me back the other 2.

I went back to the immigration office, the lady added an approval for exit stamp, kept one copy and gave me the last and final one, and told me to now go back to the regular immigration check upstairs.

So I went back up top, gave the immigration check guy my passport and my penalty paid form, and he stamped me out with the usual lack of attention and boredom as any other time I've exited Argentina.

Oh, before all that happened, none of the banks or cambio stations in the airport would exchange any of my pesos to dollars or any other currency because they said my passport was out of order and supposedly they are not allowed to process anything without a valid passport.

So my take away from all this is that the argentines are rabidly strict about the 90day limit (whereas in many other countries I've travelled to, I'd never paid a penalty and just got waved out with a don't do it again frown) - but as long as you go through their little bureaucracy they don't give a damn whether you overstayed days, months, or years.

Maybe there's some counter in their system that tracks how many times you've overstayed, but as far as this first one, no one in that entire chain of getting a stamp to exit bothered or even wanted to take my passport - it was just the form in quadruplicate, payment stamp, then exit stamp.I don't believe they track how many times people overstay their 90 day visa. I once overstayed my 90 day visa by almost three months and twice by a week or so. They only made me pay the 50 peso fine once, the other two times they signed the form and told me the fine was on them.

Jackson
07-21-07, 16:13
Greetings everyone,

I think that many of you are missing a major issue here.

The issue is not how small the fine is and / or how easy it is to pay it.

The issue is that you have now officially violated their immigration laws. Now, if you ever have a real immigration issue or if you wish to apply for permanent residency, they will see this on your record.

It's kind of like receiving speeding tickets. You pay the first one because it's easy, but then it really makes it difficult at a later date for your attorney to defend you against the 2nd ticket, which in combination with the first violation begins to present compound problems (license suspensions, increased insurance costs, restricted employment opportunities, etc)

And for the record, they don't need to keep a separate record of your violation, because it's already recorded in your passport.

In other words, I wouldn't be so cavalier as most of you about ignoring their immigration laws and overstaying your visa.

Thanks,

Jackson

Rioman
04-22-08, 21:21
Because of a scheduling thing it would appear that I will not get out of here until day 94. This would be first time overstaying and of course do want to be coming back. Note the cmmts below on this and guess my inclination is to just pay the fine as long as it no more complicated than this. Guess if anybody done this recently and there any other steps to consider or if Jackson had anymore comments on possible repercussions of this it would be good to hear. Thx.

Facundo
04-25-08, 09:13
Because of a scheduling thing it would appear that I will not get out of here until day 94. This would be first time overstaying and of course do want to be coming back. Note the cmmts below on this and guess my inclination is to just pay the fine as long as it no more complicated than this. Guess if anybody done this recently and there any other steps to consider or if Jackson had anymore comments on possible repercussions of this it would be good to hear. Thx.The consequenses are small, however, I think it's best to just go to the Department of Immigration in Retiro and pay a 100 pesos for a 90 day re-newal. Recently, while, having some documents processed, the person pulled up from the computer every entry / exit and every visa renewal I ever made in Argentina.

Jackson is right, maybe there aren't any consequences for over-staying one's visa, but one day the information collected could be used against you.

Jackpot
05-05-09, 18:38
Yo Sydo,

Just think, if you overstayed 6 months this would be equivalent to two Visa runs to Colonia. So your peso fine was less than the total costs of two trips to Colonia and far less painful.

Many thanks for running the gauntlet.

Jackpot

Jackson
05-05-09, 20:00
Yo Sydo,

Just think, if you overstayed 6 months this would be equivalent to two Visa runs to Colonia. So your peso fine was less than the total costs of two trips to Colonia and far less painful.

Many thanks for running the gauntlet.

JackpotExcept for the fact that he is now on record for having violated Argentina's immigration laws, which may or may not be an issue in the future.

I wonder how many guys would be so cavalier about this if they thought it might jeopardize their ability to return to Argentina? Imagine being denied entry into Argentina at the airport because your passport number was "red flagged" for previous visa violations?

Think it can't happen? The US Immigration Dept denies border entries and visas renewals all the time for exactly the same violation.

You guys think that this is just a matter of paying the fine, and it isn't. It's more like receiving your first speeding ticket. You pay the fine and forget about it, but then when you get the 2nd ticket, all of the sudden that first speeding violation has new implications.

Thanks,

Jackson

Rock Harders
05-05-09, 23:22
Mongers,

I completely agree with Jackson on this issue. In my opinion, overstaying the tourist visa for reasons of laziness or convenience is just plain stupid. Although there are seemingly little or no consequences now, if things go wrong the shit could hit the fan. For example, if you are arrested for some reason, you will be in the country illegally and will not have the same rights as someone holding a valid tourist or other visa. You could be detained for an extended period of time awaiting a hearing in a very unpleasant Argentine jail conditions. Or, as Jackson suggests, you could be denied a residence visa at some future time for violating Argentina's immigration laws.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Member #3320
05-06-09, 14:54
Mongers,

I completely agree with Jackson on this issue. In my opinion, overstaying the tourist visa for reasons of laziness or convenience is just plain stupid. Although there are seemingly little or no consequences now, if things go wrong the shit could hit the fan. For example, if you are arrested for some reason, you will be in the country illegally and will not have the same rights as someone holding a valid tourist or other visa. You could be detained for an extended period of time awaiting a hearing in a very unpleasant Argentine jail conditions. Or, as Jackson suggests, you could be denied a residence visa at some future time for violating Argentina's immigration laws.

Suerte,

Rock HardersI agree 100% on this one with Mr Jackson & RH

Wild Walleye
05-06-09, 16:10
A quick visit to a nearby foreign port of call gives you all more mongering ops to report upon so that us less well traveled, less worldly folks can make an objective decision about other interesting places to visit and sample local fare.

Daddy Rulz
05-06-09, 16:40
Being Argentina not all immigration officers use the same stamp upon arrival. Some use a "90" day stamp and others use a "tres meses" stamp, look in your passport you will see what I mean. Once at Tigre while making the visa run to Carmello I tried asking about this.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: I've noticed that some of my stamps are different, could you please tell me if a tourist visa is good for 90 days or 3 months.

Idiotic Argentine Imigration Official (IAIO): Yes.

Me: But 3 months and 90 days are not the same thing, 3 months could be 91 or 92 days.

IAIO: Yes.

Me: So is a tourist visa is good for 3 months?

IAIO: Yes 90 days.

(This particular stamp was good for 3 months from 20 Nov. So it should have been good until 20 Jan. I went a couple days early at 89 days)

Me: So I could have stayed until 20 Feb.

IAIO: No that would be more than 90 days.

Me: But my visa says three months.

IAIO: Si noventa dias.

Me: Gracias che, buen dia, chau chau. (I got on the fucking boat)

Thomaso276
05-06-09, 23:23
And their two week vacation rentals at resorts are for 15 days.

They splitr the month.

Damman
06-09-09, 21:24
You live a charmed life Sid. Glad you have returned to the scene of the crime. Hope we can have that lunch. Returning next week.

On entry, I was jailed for 3 days, striped and cavity searched, attempted rape, fined $5000, $5000 more was stolen from me, was given only 1 day to finish my business, and permanently banned from AR! I am on the loose and evading them now! Scared Sid

Damman
06-10-09, 17:23
Penalty for overstaying 90 day visa: Lunch with Damman?

Maybe you should do the time.

Later

Daddy Rulz
07-30-12, 10:51
After living in Corrientes and crossing at Posadas twice I have a little different view. Seems about every single paraguayan that comes to Argentina overstays. I crossed twice at Posadas and both times the line of Paraguayans paying the fine was about a kilometer long. For the reasons listed by Jackson and rock harders, in addition to having a non mercourser (sp) passport I don't think I will change and will continue to make visa runs but I think it's fairly common to overstay.

El Perro
07-30-12, 11:43
After living in Corrientes and crossing at Posadas twice I have a little different view. Seems about every single paraguayan that comes to Argentina overstays. I crossed twice at Posadas and both times the line of Paraguayans paying the fine was about a kilometer long. For the reasons listed by Jackson and rock harders, in addition to having a non mercourser (sp) passport I don't think I will change and will continue to make visa runs but I think it's fairly common to overstay.Daddy-FYI, most of the expats I know that are here for awhile have decided to avoid the three month visa runs. The visa runs have become a bit of a crapshoot, with immigration checks increasingly unpredictable. More scrutiny for those with lots of ins and outs. You increasingly run the risk of getting the dreaded "ultima prorroga" as I did a few years ago. To each his own, but I stopped the visa runs long ago and just pay the $300p charge on the way out. No fuss and no muss.

Gato Hunter
07-30-12, 13:36
When I came back from Uruguay the other day, they argentine woman t bought my passport was not right cause I had so many Argentina stamps. Most have dates spread out months apart over years, but it was the sheer amount of pst AMPs that caught her eye.

Daddy Rulz
07-30-12, 14:47
I think that's part of what I see (IMHO) as part of the increased anti-N Americano attitudes in and around BsAs. At both Posadas and Formosa they didn't look past the last page to make sure I have a valid exit stamp. They didn't even look at the rest of the pages. I suspect, but can't prove that this is a Colonia / MV thingy. I wonder if it is happening in Tigre on the Carmelo run. Which for the value monger is a much better deal, cheaper by far and less time on the boat. You got to get up early as shit though to catch the tigre train though.

Daddy-FYI, most of the expats I know that are here for awhile have decided to avoid the three month visa runs. The visa runs have become a bit of a crapshoot, with immigration checks increasingly unpredictable. More scrutiny for those with lots of ins and outs. You increasingly run the risk of getting the dreaded "ultima prorroga" as I did a few years ago. To each his own, but I stopped the visa runs long ago and just pay the $300p charge on the way out. No fuss and no muss.

SnakeOilSales
07-31-12, 04:28
I can concur that the immigration officials are taking a HARD look at the number of entry / exit stamps at the Buquebus terminal these days. Several months ago I was hassled by the Argentine immigration official before boarding the boat and was told to get my residency papers in order. Last week, before boarding the boat in Uruguay the immigration official took a hard and look at the many stamps but did not issue any warnings. No such hassles at EZE or AEP.

Toymann
07-31-12, 04:36
I can concur that the immigration officials are taking a HARD look at the number of entry / exit stamps at the Buquebus terminal these days. Several months ago I was hassled by the Argentine immigration official before boarding the boat and was told to get my residency papers in order. Last week, before boarding the boat in Uruguay the immigration official took a hard and look at the many stamps but did not issue any warnings. No such hassles at EZE or AEP.

51 posts on the board and NOT a single chica post! In fact they are all either political or peripheral posts like your last one here on this thread. As WW says, welcome back MoveOn. I wouldn't put the slightest credibility in anything you say dude. I doubt, in fact, you have ever even been to Argentina. So much for all those passport stamps. IALOFLMAO. Happy Mongering All. Toymann

SnakeOilSales
07-31-12, 05:53
51 posts on the board and NOT a single chica post! In fact they are all either political or peripheral posts like your last one here on this thread. As WW says, welcome back MoveOn. I wouldn't put the slightest credibility in anything you say dude. I doubt, in fact, you have ever even been to Argentina. So much for all those passport stamps. IALOFLMAO. Happy Mongering All. ToymannThe idea that I am the reincarnation of MoveOn or any other previous poster is simply ridiculous. Ask Jackson to check the IP address that I post from. I've lived in Argentina for many, many years and know this place inside and out to a degree that some overly aggressive uptight chimp (who likely speaks little Spanish) could not even begin to approach. Clearly your feathers are ruffled as a result of my participation in the 2012 election thread as prior to my participation the thread was nothing except an Obama hate fest with no hard criticism of Romney (who is clearly a very flawed candidate). Politics is a two way street and both sides of an issue can be argued coherently.

Jackson, please delete this post in a few days after confirming I am not MoveOn as this post does not belong in this thread except as a response to Toymann's accusations.

Wild Walleye
07-31-12, 13:43
The idea that I am the reincarnation of MoveOn or any other previous poster is simply ridiculous. Ask Jackson to check the IP address that I post from. I've lived in Argentina for many, many years and know this place inside and out to a degree that some overly aggressive uptight chimp (who likely speaks little Spanish) could not even begin to approach. Clearly your feathers are ruffled as a result of my participation in the 2012 election thread as prior to my participation the thread was nothing except an Obama hate fest with no hard criticism of Romney (who is clearly a very flawed candidate). Politics is a two way street and both sides of an issue can be argued coherently.Both sides can in fact be argued, as can your coherency.

Jackson, please delete this post in a few days after confirming I am not MoveOn as this post does not belong in this thread except as a response to Toymann's accusations.Don't bother trying to get Jax to authenticate you. Go nail some fine local tail (female, please) and tell us all about it.

El Queso
07-31-12, 17:48
Don't do the visa run. There's a well-known immigration / naturalization lawyer who posts on BA Expats that tells all about it. You could have a charge filed against you without even knowing, try to come back in at some point, and find yourself with 10 days to get out of the country, or even be denied entrance. Pay the fine and you are much much less likely to have any problems.

Every time you pass immigrations, you put yourself in their sights. You are not renewing your visa by leaving and coming back in (according to the lawyer) , you are only getting a stamp in your passport and the immigrations officials are ignoring the violations, on government policy, not law. They are completely within their rights to cause you troubles at any point. Like most countries, you can only have 180 days a year.

If you want to renew your visa, and are planning to be here for more than 90 days but less than 180, go to immigrations and get it renewed officially. A lot cheaper and easier than going to Colonia.

Now, guys, I don't post about chicas on here, being a happily-married ex-monger. But sometimes people want information on how to get around in Argentina too.

El Perro
07-31-12, 18:23
If you want to renew your visa, and are planning to be here for more than 90 days but less than 180, go to immigrations and get it renewed officially. A lot cheaper and easier than going to Colonia.An informed post from El Queso, but be VERY careful about this. In fact, I would only renew for one 90 day extension at Immigration in Retiro, IF you are brand new in Argentina (no previous ins and outs). The bureaucrats at the immigration offices in Retiro are super hard on multiple 90 day extensions. I went there one too many times which resulted in my "ultima prorroga". Honestly, I would avoid Retiro altogether.

Maybe, as El Queso says, if you plan to leave before the 180 days is up, you might be ok. But, given the bust ass mentality at Retiro, I think you are taking a risk.

Member #3320
07-31-12, 18:24
51 posts on the board and NOT a single chica post! In fact they are all either political or peripheral posts like your last one here on this thread. As WW says, welcome back MoveOn. I wouldn't put the slightest credibility in anything you say dude. I doubt, in fact, you have ever even been to Argentina. So much for all those passport stamps. IALOFLMAO. Happy Mongering All. ToymannI always have a wry smile on my face reading posts from "mongers" on this forum, who never have posted on chicas or "paid sex" in Argentina but have long sermons / multiple posts on all other issues including elections in USA.

I also wonder if these guys ever been to Argentina.

And if they have been, what are they doing on this forum.

El Queso
07-31-12, 22:37
An informed post from El Queso, but be VERY careful about this. In fact, I would only renew for one 90 day extension at Immigration in Retiro, IF you are brand new in Argentina (no previous ins and outs). The bureaucrats at the immigration offices in Retiro are super hard on multiple 90 day extensions. I went there one too many times which resulted in my "ultima prorroga". Honestly, I would avoid Retiro altogether.

Maybe, as El Queso says, if you plan to leave before the 180 days is up, you might be ok. But, given the bust ass mentality at Retiro, I think you are taking a risk.The only way I was meaning for anyone to do this would be if they are down here for a one time thing. If you are staying past the 180 days, definitely don't think about it. Just overstay.

Now, I guess I should also have added that if you have a bunch of stamps in your passport from times past and you go to Immigrations. Don't. Heh. Thinking only of someone who comes down every now and then.

Mpexy
02-13-13, 06:53
Used to do Colonia runs to get new stamp but decided to ignore and pay exit fine at Ezeiza when I leave.

Taking late evening flight at some point when I decide to leave and have read well documented process of how and where to handle the exit fine, but not found confirmation the two primary offices for handling exit fine process is open late night or 24 hours.

1. The immigration office / small window to get form and then return with proof of payment.

2. The Banco Nacional to actually pay and get proof of payment stamp on form.

Anyone with firsthand xp paying the overstay fine at late evening hours?

Emeritus
02-13-13, 12:45
1. Is the fine 300 pesos and can I pay at these small border crossing at the chile / Argentina land crossing in the Andes.

2. I hear I can cross into chile by land and not have to pay their visa entrance fee. I hear it is only charged at the airports.

OK thank for your time and information.

Daddy Rulz
02-13-13, 13:03
1. Is the fine 300 pesos and can I pay at these small border crossing at the chile / Argentina land crossing in the Andes.

2. I hear I can cross into chile by land and not have to pay their visa entrance fee. I hear it is only charged at the airports.

OK thank for your time and information.However I have crossed into Paraguay from Formosa and Posades. At both places there were LONG lines of Paraguayos paying the fine. At Posades there are so many that they pay for the bus ride across, get off at the bridge, wait in line to pay the fine, then get on a different bus to actually cross.

Silver Star
02-13-13, 16:50
Used to do Colonia runs to get new stamp but decided to ignore and pay exit fine at Ezeiza when I leave.

Taking late evening flight at some point when I decide to leave and have read well documented process of how and where to handle the exit fine, but not found confirmation the two primary offices for handling exit fine process is open late night or 24 hours.

1. The immigration office / small window to get form and then return with proof of payment.

2. The Banco Nacional to actually pay and get proof of payment stamp on form.

Anyone with firsthand xp paying the overstay fine at late evening hours?I am a professional airport chauffeur here in Buenos Aires, every once in a while I take a guest out to EZE that has overstayed, and you just go to a small window, (I believe has moved over by the blue CitiBank ATM in terminal A) you pay your fine, and are good to go, have done this at night too. I would be very surprized if they are not 24/7, and there is a Banco de la Nacion inside also, I would be very surprised if you had a problem. I do suggest leaving the city a bit early in case of a long line.

Silver Star
02-13-13, 17:02
I am a professional airport chauffeur here in Buenos Aires, every once in a while I take a guest out to EZE that has overstayed, and you just go to a small window, (I believe has moved over by the blue CitiBank ATM in terminal A) you pay your fine, and are good to go, have done this at night too. I would be very surprized if they are not 24/7, and there is a Banco de la Nacion inside also, I would be very surprised if you had a problem. I do suggest leaving the city a bit early in case of a long line.I just checked personally with immigration here at EZE, you can take care of your fine 24/7, Bank open too! Office is in Terminal A by Citibank ATM

Mpexy
02-14-13, 04:37
I just checked personally with immigration here at EZE, you can take care of your fine 24/7, Bank open too! Office is in Terminal A by Citibank ATMThank you very much Fred.

Member #4110
03-06-13, 21:04
My situation is different. As of March 31, I will have been in Paraguay for more than 90 days. I am just beginning to investigate the best course of action. One idea would be to go to Posadas AR for a couple days. Does anyone know if I would have to pay the Argentina "reciprocity fee" (is it $140 USA?) if I walk across the bridge from Encarnacion to Posadas with my USA passport? Actually, I would like to visit both Encarnacion and Posadas, just to see what they are like.

A fellow here in Asuncion said that Paraguay immigration might give me an extension beyond, so that is another option to look into. If anyone else has information or advice, I would appreciate it. I will post a parallel request on ISG, Paraguay, but that site has been quiet.

I will be leaving Paraguay for the States in May, but I am seriously thinking about getting a cedula for future extended trips, which takes months, so I understand. Also by the way, I have a Paraguay visa that is good for the life of my passport.

Thanks.

Damman
03-07-13, 10:30
As of January 7th, 2013, US citizens traveling to Argentina must pay the reciprocity fee online prior to entering Argentina through any of its airports or BORDER ENTRY POINTS.

http://www.clang.mrecic.gov.ar/content/reciprocity-fee-us-citizens-visiting-argentina

DrakeCapital
03-07-13, 14:43
My situation is different. As of March 31, I will have been in Paraguay for more than 90 days. I am just beginning to investigate the best course of action. One idea would be to go to Posadas AR for a couple days. Does anyone know if I would have to pay the Argentina "reciprocity fee" (is it $140 USA?) if I walk across the bridge from Encarnacion to Posadas with my USA passport? Actually, I would like to visit both Encarnacion and Posadas, just to see what they are like.

A fellow here in Asuncion said that Paraguay immigration might give me an extension beyond, so that is another option to look into. If anyone else has information or advice, I would appreciate it. I will post a parallel request on ISG, Paraguay, but that site has been quiet.

I will be leaving Paraguay for the States in May, but I am seriously thinking about getting a cedula for future extended trips, which takes months, so I understand. Also by the way, I have a Paraguay visa that is good for the life of my passport.

Thanks.Just stay over as long as you like, and pay the overstay fine when you leave. I know several people that have done it many times with zero repercussions, they just want the fees. I'll be in PY later this month.

As I understand it, crossing into Posadas with a US passport you'll still have to pay the reciprocity fee, which is much higher than PY's overstay fine, It's less than $50, and you don't have to go anywhere for paperwork, just pay at the airport when you leave. When the guy checks your passport he'll send you over to a special desk to pay, then they let you through with the receipt.

Towncryr
03-07-13, 22:17
As of January 7th, 2013, US citizens traveling to Argentina must pay the reciprocity fee online prior to entering Argentina through any of its airports or BORDER ENTRY POINTS.

http://www.clang.mrecic.gov.ar/content/reciprocity-fee-us-citizens-visiting-argentinaThanks for this info... I live in Mendoza and we've never had to deal with this before. Guess it had to catch up at some point as.

They scramble for every penny.

Looking forward to a trip to BA probably in April. TL's "Drain, Eat & Meet" tour is much anticipated... Going to bring a American buddy now living in Brazil along for his "first" BA experience. It will blow his doors off.

Thanks,

TC.

Member #4110
03-08-13, 19:28
Thanks much to DrakeCapital and Damman for the info on the Argentina reciprocity fee and the Paraguay overstay fee. I see from the link provided by Damman that the Argentina reciprocity fee is $160. The good news for me is that the fee is good for 10 years. Maybe I will succeed in having every woman between 18 and 25 years of age in Paraguay soon, so then I will have to move on.