PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks

Sinistra
07-26-07, 07:25
Not exactly the same topic, but. I love Argentina, but I hate the coffee there. Truly, it's bad. Helpfully, Starbucks will open a few shops there and probably charge an hours worth of sex at a cheap privado for a large latte. Frankly, I'd rather have the latte.

http://tinyurl.com/ywhbfe

El Perro
07-26-07, 13:09
Maybe 5 ounces! Yeah right! C'Mon Starbucks, destroy these Argie ripoffs!No! Keep the cocksuckers out! And, yes, burn the McDonalds!

StrayLight
07-26-07, 17:04
Not exactly the same topic, but. I love Argentina, but I hate the coffee there. Truly, it's bad. Helpfully, Starbucks will open a few shops there and probably charge an hours worth of sex at a cheap privado for a large latte. Frankly, I'd rather have the latte.

http://tinyurl.com/ywhbfeNo offense, man, but statements like that flabbergast me.

To me this is like the last best place on earth precisely because there are no Starbucks. Bad enough there are Mickey Ds and a TGIF. And now you want Starbucks? Shit!

I mean, half the charm of this place is the local little neighborhoody places on every block, on every street. I can't stand seeing the slow growth and encroachment of chains: Havanna, Martinez, New Gardens. If a Starbucks ever opens, I would hope that the portenos would simply ignore it until it went under.

In my mind the question is...if the coffee is bad, what could a Starbucks do that any other coffee establishment could not do if they tried? Is it the quality of the beans? Is it the roast? If it's the beans, do you suppose there is enough of a market for so-called "good" (i.e., Starbucks) coffee to justify the price increase? And if there is, why can't some other place do it? If it's the roast, have you tried getting coffee at one of the four Establecimiento General de Cafés? They have a variety of beans, and will both roast and grind them to your specs if you ask.

C'mon...surely a marginally better cup of coffee isn't worth one more step in the McCulturalization of this last great town.

MiddleAgeGuy
07-26-07, 17:45
First I cannot believe anyone would think Starbucks makes better coffee than is made in Argentina. Then I read Sinatra say a Latte. If you like the Latte style ask for cafe con crema, not leche, and you will get the big dollop of rich creme on top. Therfore, I do not think it is the coffee flavor you crave but the additions to the coffee.

Starbucks would get creamed, no pun, in no time as 20 expats would be the only customers.

Sort of like that big Pizza franchise Boston Pizza I think, that tried to make a go of it in Argentina or like Dunkin Dounuts. Both were gone in months due to an endless variety of higher quality existing competitors.

Jackson
07-26-07, 18:35
First I cannot believe anyone would think Starbucks makes better coffee than is made in Argentina. Then I read Sinatra say a Latte. If you like the Latte style ask for cafe con crema, not leche, and you will get the big dollop of rich creme on top. Therfore, I do not think it is the coffee flavor you crave but the additions to the coffee.

Starbucks would get creamed, no pun, in no time as 20 expats would be the only customers.

Sort of like that big Pizza franchise Boston Pizza I think, that tried to make a go of it in Argentina or like Dunkin Donuts. Both were gone in months due to an endless variety of higher quality existing competitors.Hi MAG,

Not that I give a damn about Dunkin Donuts, but I do know a number of Portenos who expressed to me the Dunkin Donuts stores here were rather popular.

Anyway, I don't think that your statement that they were drived from the market by an "endless variety of higher quality existing competitors" is exactly accurate given that I've NEVER seen anything resembling a donut for sale anywhere in BA either before, during or after the time that Dunkin Donuts was doing business here.

The devaluation and related problems with doing busines in Argentina was what compelled Dunkin Donuts to withdraw from the Argentina market.

Thanks,

Jackson

Rainot
07-26-07, 19:13
Which coffee shops do you think sell bad coffee? I think that coffee just can't be bad everywhere. Your statement is too wide.

Do you think Starbucks, if it ever establishes here, will bring the beans from Colombia or whatever? No, they will use the same beans they use in other coffee shops. You'll just like the coffee there better just 'cause it's a "Starbucks". Come on.

Rock Harders
07-26-07, 19:26
Mongers,

I'd bet the farm that Starbuck will be a huge success almost immediatly when they open up in Buenos Aires. The Argies will lap that shit up just like they do at McDonald's and Burger King. Going to Starbucks will be a status symbol for the "new rich" here just as going to Kansas is. Branches would succeed immediatly if opened up in Alto Palermo mall, Recoleta Village, Puerto Madero, and somewhere in the Centro. This is all assuming this current currency hicup doesnt snowball into a full blown crisis, in which case all bets are off.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

StrayLight
07-26-07, 19:29
Branches would succeed immediatly if opened up in Alto Palermo Mall, Recoleta Village, Puerto Madero...Whew! You had me scared. For a minute there I thought you were talking about Buenos Aires. LOL!

Chrisr
07-26-07, 20:49

http://tinyurl.com/ywhbfeCheck out this website, http://estcafe.com.ar/

They have a decent selection of coffee, such as; Antigua, Tanzania, Costa Rican, and several others.

El Perro
07-27-07, 20:30
Check out this website, http://estcafe.com.ar/

They have a decent selection of coffee, such as; Antigua, Tanzania, Costa Rican, and several others.Great place with a few branches around town. Unfortunately, I agree with both Straylight and Dirk. Starbucks and the like are a fucking plague, but in the right places here all the wannabees will be there.

MiddleAgeGuy
07-30-07, 11:35
Jackson, point taken, I was thinking about the pizza variety. And I think the pizza franchise flew north before 2001. Having done business in Argentina, I can well imagine "related problems" driving people out.

I asked a few Portenos about why you can't find donuts here. Any that had been to the US and had sampled them said they did not like the gooey wet dough texture. Personally I love donuts but had to stop years ago or I would be 300 pounds.

MAG

Jackson
07-30-07, 13:53
I asked a few Portenos about why you can't find donuts here. Any that had been to the US and had sampled them said they did not like the gooey wet dough texture. Personally I love donuts but had to stop years ago or I would be 300 pounds.

MAGHi MAG,

That's not a surprise to me. Argentinos like their pastries hard and dry like rocks. Yuck.

I can also tell you that I doubt that Pizza Hut would do well here because, in my personal observations, Argentinos are in many cases very narrow minded about trying out "different" foods. Again, in my personal observations, when presented with dining options that are outside their usual menu, they tend to order whatever is similar to what they're accustomed instead of trying something different.

Consider how few "ethnic" (Mexican, Chinese, etc.) restaurants there are in BA in comparison to the size of the population.

Thanks,

Jackson

El Perro
07-30-07, 14:07
Hi MAG,

That's not a surprise to me. Argentinos like their pastries hard and dry like rocks. Yuck.

I can also tell you that I doubt that Pizza Hut would do well here because, in my personal observations, Argentinos are in many cases very narrow minded about trying out "different" foods. Again, in my personal observations, when presented with dining options that are outside their usual menu, they tend to order whatever is similar to what they're accustomed instead of trying something different.

Consider how few "ethnic" (Mexican, Chinese, etc.) restaurants there are in BA in comparison to the size of the population.

Thanks,

JacksonAgreed! The lack of variety in the diet here is mind boggling. It takes alot of looking to find the variety, and then the quality is very hit or miss. One of the big downsides to living in Buenos Aires for me. My kingdom for a decent sushi restaurant with something other than salmon and whitefish!

BadMan
07-31-07, 22:03
I actually think Argentinos are very insecure and cliquish people, when something comes into town that they consider "hip" or worthwhile they will be all over it like Dickhead on cheap whores. All you have to do is package it properly and it will sell.

If none of you have ever been try Deli City, it is a widely successful General Mills owned franchise that is slowly starting to cover ALL of BA, They serve an assortment or freshly baked US style chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, donuts and bagels. Different locations have different items but this is a very western style joint that is popular with locals and expats alike. I think what is lacking is the right marketing to make a papa johns or a starbucks viable here in BA. If you have ever been to Micky D's all you have to do is look next door to the Mr Coffee to see how successful a properly marketed Star Bucks can be.

The variety in BA as far as food goes, is lacking, but it will slowly get better.

Badboy