PDA

View Full Version : Is there a South American Train?

Tigre
08-18-07, 02:38
If I want to take a train / bus from say, Bogota to BA, where would I go about finding these, except for asking the nearest cabbie where the trainstation is? Anyone know anything specifically about trains between the north of south America and BA?

Just in case I want to take a S. A. Tour.

Ciao Suerte , un Abrazo amigos:P

Facundo
08-18-07, 10:12
If I want to take a train / bus from say, Bogota to BA, where would I go about finding these, except for asking the nearest cabbie where the trainstation is? Anyone know anything specifically about trains between the north of south America and BA?

Just in case I want to take a S. A. Tour.

Ciao Suerte, un Abrazo amigos:PTigre, try calling FERROBAIRES at 4304-0031 or 4304-0038 and they should be able to provide you with some information. Also, I would strongly recommend you read one of the great travel books, "The Patagonian Express" by Paul Theroux on his travel by trains from Chicago, Illinois to Patagonia, Argentina. I believe the book is still in print.

Chau, suerte.

BadMan
08-18-07, 10:50
There is a link you can read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Andean_Railways

It seems a fully operational and modern trans-continental railway system does not exist in South American. But if you just like traveling by train each individual country has many miles of passenger lines you can take between individual cities, though possibly taking bus transfers from country to country.

Not to get off subject but have you considered traveling by bus? They have very modern and comfortable double decker bus lines that DO travel throughout South America and Latin American. I actually once tried this and was pleasantly surprised. I started off in Chile, wound my up through Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Finished off in Venezuela. This same line then would wind itself through Brazil and end up in Argentina, though I didn't take it all the way. The views were spectacular, the facilities were spacious and comfortable. The price was reasonable and food, in general wasn't an issue. Just make sure you go with a reliable company that has modern buses, certified drivers, and a well proven track record. The best part is, since these companies have buses going out weekly. You can stop somewhere for a few days to a week, then catch the next outgoing bus and continue your travels. I found this to be incredibly inexpensive and a great experience overall.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Bad

Tigre
08-18-07, 16:39
You guys are awesome.

I'm not in S. America at the moment. Stuck here in El prision sexo. But hopefully soon I can take a train throughout the South.

I suppose if the Bus is going thru Brazil, I will need to have my Brazilian visa and vaccinations ahead of time. Does Bolivia req gringos to have a visa also?

The other thing is, is the bus ticket alone enough to satisfy customs that I'm not going to overstay in their country?

Thanks.

StrayLight
08-18-07, 18:09
The other thing is, is the bus ticket alone enough to satisfy customs that I'm not going to overstay in their country? First of all, if there were a requirement regarding overstaying in the country, I'm pretty sure it would be Migraciones, not Customs, that would be responsible.

Second, when you enter as a tourist, you get a 90-day tourist visa. It's your responsibility to either get that visa renewed by (1) leaving the country and coming back, or (2) going down to Migraciónes and paying your $100 pesos or whatever for a renewal. If you overstay your tourist visa, you get a fine.

There is what I can only consider a scam being implemented by several airlines in several locations in which they tell passengers that they cannot fly into Argentina on a one-way ticket due to Argentine law. That is total bullshit. The only thing Argentina generally requires is a valid passport to enter the country.

Yes, if you get off the plane with matted dreadlocks and in obvious need of a bath...wearing filthy threadbare blue jeans...reeking of patchouli oil...carrying bongo drums as your only visible baggage...and only have a dollar to your name...they might not let you in.

But the myth that the Argentine government requires some sort of ticket out to prove you are not going to overstay is just that...a myth.

That said, I believe the airelines are responsible for ensuring that all passengers have proper documentation and entry requirements before boarding. If an airline chooses to say you need a ticket showing you are leaving the country within 90 days, there's not much you can do about it.

Your best bet is to call the airline you are planning on flying and seeing what they require.

Tigre
08-18-07, 20:57
OK, Straylight, I wasnt familiar with the way things work down there. In most "western" shitholes, if you arrive at the port of entry with a one-way ticket, they simply kick your ass back to where you came from. I hear they even do this to businessmen in Britain.

Sportsman
08-18-07, 21:12
OK, Straylight, I wasnt familiar with the way things work down there. In most "western" shitholes, if you arrive at the port of entry with a one-way ticket, they simply kick your ass back to where you came from. I hear they even do this to businessmen in Britain.Passport controls (immigration) in all the ports of entry I've been to had never asked to show them my return trip itin. Only thing they wanted to see were my passport and visa if required.

Tigre
08-19-07, 00:34
Do they ever ask which hotel you are going to be staying in? I got that one in Costa Rica. She wanted to see I had a reservation. I don't think they even asked me that in Germany either time I went there.

Speedyg50
08-22-07, 20:20
This might help you in Colombia and I understand the route is being extended south through the Amazon. Good luck.

http://www.goodtimebob.com/monorail.htm