PDA

View Full Version : RODI BAR--Ayucucho y Vincente Lopez

Miami Bob
09-03-07, 14:42
Gerardo, my regular english speaking taxi driver introduced me to this place a few years ago. It is down the block from El Yugo and would be a roughly simular type of place.

Rodi bar has a wider menue--salads, fish[excellent salmon when it is fresh], grilled meats--the lomo is as good as the high end places. There is a little controversy about the pasta:

I have eaten here with chicas a number of times who raved about the home made pasta and the wonderful souses.

I ate there a few weeks ago with Jackson, who knows and likes his pasta. Jackson was served the wrong shaped pasta with bolognese sauce which appeared greasy and was without tomato. This is the only time I have witnessed a valid complaint about this place.

500grams of lomo for 28 pesos, de-boned chicken breast 14 pesos, many green veggies,lunch specials and good choice of salads. This is one of the few places that I will eat fish in bs as. Maybe, I tip well and go often enough that the waiters tell me the truth about what is fresh and good.

It is one block away from the McDonalds and generally, except for the one mishap with the pasta for my friend, better priced and better food than in the village or the Junin strip of tourist places.

Very little english is spoken. This is a local place for people in the neighborhood.

Rockin Bob
09-03-07, 16:20
Rodi Bar. It's a Recoleta favorite, very popular with the locals. Friendly staff, good food, lower prices, you can't go wrong.

I just wanted to add that the kitchen stays open all day so you can get lunch at 4:30 in the afternoon.

StrayLight
09-03-07, 16:28
Shhhhhh...don't tell Moore. LOL!

I like Rodi Bar, too (certainly more than El Yugo). For a while I made it a point to go to Recoleta almost every Saturday afternoon for lunch at Rodi's. After I started breaking out in hives at the thought of another bife de lomo, I ceased going as often, but from time to time I'll drop in for old time's sake.

If you ever find Rodi's too crowded (which can happen fairly often) take a walk over two blocks to Uriburu, between Vicente Lopez and Las Heras. On the east side of the street there's another little mom-and-pop type place that I found to be an acceptable fall back when Rodi's was full. I can't remember the name, but I think it's bright yellow.

Hound
09-04-07, 00:02
I, too, frequent Rodi Bar but not for beef. I seem to remember the waiter, responding to my question, telling me the beef was not cooked 'al carbon' but la plancha. If this is not the case someone please square me on the truth. A few steps down as the posters know is Yugo where the prep is 'al carbon'. Also Yugo has a pretty fair salad bar, kind of a rarity in BA.

Knob and Tube
03-03-08, 22:03
Went here a couple nights ago. It was near empty except for 2 or 3 tables.

Ordered a lomo and agua sin gas. Water arrived promptly. So did the bread. After 15 minutes, I asked about the steak. Waiter asked me if I wanted it al punto. No, jugoso like I ordered it the first time. 10 minutes later I got up and said fuck this shit. Left 5 pesos for the water and told the mozo to get fucked. Went done the road to El Yugo and got served promptly with a nice juicy ojo de beefe for 10 pesos less.

Rockin Bob
03-04-08, 16:42
Knob and Tube:

As somebody who recommends the Rodi Bar I take full responsibility for your bad experience! I'm sorry!

Normally the service is great.

What time did you go? Any night of the week the place is packed.

Sounds like somebody dropped the ball. You were right to get annoyed.

Also the steaks are better at the Yugo, it's a parilla. Rodi Bar the meat is cooked on the plancha, as the reports say.

Knob and Tube: stick the name of a rust belt state in front and you've got a publicly traded company?

Miami Bob
11-30-08, 16:24
This is not a parrilla. They do serve good, but not great meat. You must ask the waiter what meat to order or it may not be very good or not ready quickly.

I had eggplant Napoletana. Made with light breading in olive oil; then layered with ham and cheese with a marinara souce. Wonderful and 17 pesos. The lunch special a few days ago was lomo with a tomatoe salad for 22 pesos. The lomo was roasted in an oven and then finished on a the gas parilla with wood on top of the gas. I asked how is it cooked and they told me. I knew that I was not getting lomo the way a parilla would prepare it. The roast meet was very good but not parrilla style. Had the salmon special the other day. Great.

I eat salads here regularly.

I have been eating here for 6 years after a taxi guy recommended it. The place is jammed for dinner with locals who know quality and value. You must talk to the waiters. There is an huge menue and not everything is the freshest nor best.

The waiters here know my face and that I give a 10% tip for good food and 0 to %5 for anything that is not just right. I'll also send some thing back--I orderred the bife de chorizo when marcelo the waiter said not to do so. He was right. Marcello is my regular waiter and he takes good care of me. you must ask.

if you cannot talk to the waiters, do not go to this place. there is almost zero english here. i ate lunch here once with a friend who did not ask about how they made a sauce and he was disappointed with the style of the plate, not the quality of the food.

Bob

Miami Bob
08-30-12, 01:36
If you want to eat like it's the USA, do not go here. If you have no one in your party who can do communication in basic spanish, do not go here.

This is a very good restaurant del bario. A neighborhood place that is not set up to please anyone other than the portenos who live in the neighborhood. Stopped by with two north americans. Warned them-huge menue and not everything is great. The waiter's know that yanquis tip and they will not mislead you. This is porteno it is not a parrilla-there is no wooden fire here. The steaks are cooked on a gas grill or roasted in the oven. They make their own pasta and the bread is the best.

Salads great, when they have fresh fish-yum. You must ask, do not order fish here without asking if it is fresh-delivered yesterday or today. I have had great trout and salmon. I do not generally eat fish in this town. Period.

Had grilled chicken and a side of sauted kale w / garlic in oilive oil[acelga con ajo]. One of our party had fresh made beef stroganoff with knoki[spell]-delish. Ask the waiter re steaks-this is not a place really for grilled meat. Meat from the oven is good+. One guy have a piece of roasted beef from the oven and was happy-he was not expecting meat grilled on a wooden fire.

If you think of eating hamburgers in a foreign country, this place is not for you. I am in Argentina a limited amount of time and want to try different things. This place is great for a person who thinks like myself or the locales who jam the place during normal porteno dinning hours.

Corner of ayacucho why vincente lopez about one block from newport

SnakeOilSales
08-30-12, 01:55
If you want to eat like it's the USA, do not go here. If you have no one in your party who can do communication in basic spanish, do not go here.

This is a very good restaurant del bario. A neighborhood place that is not set up to please anyone other than the portenos who live in the neighborhood. Stopped by with two north americans. Warned them-huge menue and not everything is great. The waiter's know that yanquis tip and they will not mislead you. This is porteno it is not a parrilla-there is no wooden fire here. The steaks are cooked on a gas grill or roasted in the oven. They make their own pasta and the bread is the best.

Salads great, when they have fresh fish-yum. You must ask, do not order fish here without asking if it is fresh-delivered yesterday or today. I have had great trout and salmon. I do not generally eat fish in this town. Period.

Had grilled chicken and a side of sauted kale w / garlic in oilive oil[acelga con ajo]. One of our party had fresh made beef stroganoff with knoki[spell]-delish. Ask the waiter re steaks-this is not a place really for grilled meat. Meat from the oven is good+. One guy have a piece of roasted beef from the oven and was happy-he was not expecting meat grilled on a wooden fire.

If you think of eating hamburgers in a foreign country, this place is not for you. I am in Argentina a limited amount of time and want to try different things. This place is great for a person who thinks like myself or the locales who jam the place during normal porteno dinning hours.

Corner of ayacucho why vincente lopez about one block from newportI've been to this place a few times and I concur mostly with what Miami Bob said. This place has been around for many years and the local antiquated Recoleta crowd obviously patronize it on a regular basis. However, the food is pretty mediocre IMO and is not particularly inexpensive. I would say that the La Madeleine on Santa Fe has significantly better food, for example at a similar price point.