PDA

View Full Version : Bringing LCD TV to Argentina

Metkim
09-14-07, 09:39
Hi Guys,

I plan on bringing a LCD TV to argentina. The TV will be part of my baggage during my flight. Not sure how I might be able to avoid paying duties at the airport. With that said, I believe on the customs forms, it states anything over $300 us will be charged a 50% duty fee. Can someone tell me if this is a fact? Don't want to haul this TV only to find out that there is the duty fee + IVA. If I do pay duties, how would they appraise the value? Would they take my receipt and process it with this.

Also, I have read that TV's from the US might not function in Argentina due to video transmissions. US TV's are NTSC based, while TV's in Argentina are PAL N.

Any help woud be much appreciated.

Miami Bob
09-14-07, 09:52
You have a legitimate reason to bring the tv in for busness use only and are planning upon leaving the country with it and can prove this to the argentine customs agents at the airport.

There are LCD tv's sold in the USA which also use Pal-n. The last time I researched this issue--Philips and Sony sold a few models that had the capacity to function as world sets. Look on the manufacturer's websites for more technical info and contact the manufacturer's customer service and technical suport. Will your warrantee cover repares in Argentina and are parts available in Argentina.

I am not an expert on this stuff, but did a research project 2 years ago with success. At that point it made sensed to bring in a 26 inch Philips lcd. I don't know if it makes sense today.

Thomaso276
09-14-07, 10:47
You are correct on duty - 50% - for everything over 300, they will ask for the receipt. This is on new items only.

The TV must be trinorma, I believe most of them made today are. A friend brought one in a couple of years back and it would not work with the cable here - at that time cable was analog and tv was digital! That does work with direct tv down here - it is a digital feed. Plus if you bring a brand that is not sold here how do you get it serviced? You also need a transfomer for power.

Prices have dropped considerably on electronics, here is webpage for the equivalent of Best Buy in BA: http://rodo.com.ar/ But USA is still cheaper.

You might want to load up on a lot of smaller items that can save you money like non-asprin, over the counter meds, vitamins, sneakers, jeans, golf shirts, that will not get attention of customs.

StrayLight
09-14-07, 11:25
You should also consider warranties and repair. If something goes wrong with the TV, will you be able to get it repaired here? Will the warranty apply?

The question I have found it most prudent to ask when it comes to buying things here, be they lighting fixtures or appliances or whatever, is "What happens when something goes wrong?" And this would also apply to bringing things in. You really need to think some of this stuff through in ways you wouldn't necessarily have to in the U. S.