PDA

View Full Version : Carrying ID in Argentina

Jackson
01-01-06, 02:00
Thread Starter.

Dickhead
02-12-06, 15:12
Although my understanding is that the law technically requires that you carry the physical document, a photocopy of the declaration page is accepted UNLESS the cop wants to shake you down. That's a pretty big "unless" I'm thinking.

I don't know how much the fines are, though. On the trains, the fine is 7 pesos for not having a ticket and 4 pesos for underpaying (like going to Tigre with a ticket to Vicente Lopez). Maybe the buses are the same? Or different.

But train, bus, or Subte, save your stub until the voyage is over.

Moore
02-12-06, 17:49
I always carry several versions of the physical document at all times, never leave home without it. My Argentine passport, the Juan Manuel de Rosas document, is accepted by most cops for most situations/shakedowns. In the case of an EXTREME emergency, my US passport, the Ben Franklin document, will get me out of ANY police situation.

Rock Harders
02-12-06, 18:41
Moore-

I am in total agreement with you in this regard. Although the law does require carrying identification at all times- the PFA can stop anyone at anytime and demand ID- and bring you in for questioning if you fail to produce it- in practice, this is a complete joke. Personally, I never carry any identification on my person in Buenos Aires unless I plan on using plastic to carry out a large transaction at a retail establishment (clothing, shoes, etc) In my experience, 99% of restaurants will not require "documento" to use plastic to pay for purchases.

As for the PFA- these guys make so little money through salaries (I was told the starting out patrolmen make $300 AR a MONTH! That the only way they can survive is by earning coimas in exchange for not reporting minor infractions. Essentially, you can bribe your way out of anything here for almost no cost to you. Two examples from personal experience:

I was at a fiesta in a really ritzy area of Belgrano back in the Argentine Spring, this party was rocking, a big four story house with a pool on the roof, and there was a buffet of liquor, beer and wine and over 300 people at this house (birthday party for a girl I didnt know) Anyway, the cops came on a noise complaint, and because somebody on the roof was throwing bottles at pedestrians on the street below. In the house, there were people blowing lines and smoking joints in several areas of the house. As soon as the cops rolled up, somebody (not the owner) went to the gate and gave the cops $50AR- one for every person he told the cops was inside- and the cops left and that was it.

Another time, in early December, I was smoking a joint with my Argentine lady friend at a park on Marcelo T and Rodriguez Pena, and a PFA guy walked up and starting saying something, and my friend instructed me to give him $10 AR and he would go away, and sure enough, I gave him a "lo siento" and a handshake with the $10AR in it, and he walked away.

Moral of these stories- CARRY CASH, NOT YOUR PASSPORT.

Suerte,.

Dirk

Andres
02-12-06, 21:58
I always carry several versions of the physical document at all times, never leave home without it. My Argentine passport, the Juan Manuel de Rosas document, is accepted by most cops for most situations / shakedowns. In the case of an EXTREME emergency, my US passport, the Ben Franklin document, will get me out of ANY police situation.Moore:

I don't know if it is constitutionally enforceable, but Police ask for ID anyway.

What I do is to carry a Cedula de Identidad, a document that I believe anyone having a DNI or a passport can ask at the PFA Documentation Dept located at Chile St and Azopardo St (close to Puerto Madero) It cost a few pesos and has the size of a driver's license.

CdI is accepted for many ID requirements (although not all) and, if lost or stolen, it is easy to get a replacement.

I would STRONGLY recommend not to carry a passport.

Andres

Moore
02-12-06, 22:44
Andres,

I'm not sure if you understood my post. The Rocas document is a Peso20 bill and the Franklin document is a US100 bill.

I never carry a passport. And yes the cedula is the most convenient since it fits it your wallet just like a creditcard and the DNI does not (its like a small passport) Ive never had the cedula rejected anywhere as legal ID. Hell you can even travel internationally on it (no passport required) within Mercosur countries.

For guys with no Argentine ID - you probably won't have any problems. I remember once, a while back, I was in a taxi that was stopped at a police checkpoint. I only had my US drivers license and I remember that the cop told me I should always have at least a copy of my passport with me. But that was it, no fine, no bribe, no jail, etc.

Andres
02-13-06, 10:03
Andres,

I'm not sure if you understood my post. The Rocas document is a Peso20 bill and the Franklin document is a US100 bill.

I never carry a passport. And yes the cedula is the most convenient since it fits it your wallet just like a creditcard and the DNI does not (its like a small passport) Ive never had the cedula rejected anywhere as legal ID. Hell you can even travel internationally on it (no passport required) within Mercosur countries.

For guys with no Argentine ID - you probably won't have any problems. I remember once, a while back, I was in a taxi that was stopped at a police checkpoint. I only had my US drivers license and I remember that the cop told me I should always have at least a copy of my passport with me. But that was it, no fine, no bribe, no jail, etc.LOL.

I see. I didn't get it.

As for the Cédula, some bank transactions such as accessing your safe vault or cashing a check require DNI by law, and Cédula is not accepted.

Andres

Thomaso276
02-13-06, 20:05
My girlfriend says you need a permanent DNI (Not the temp foreigner one being issued, which is permanent after a couple of years) for Cedular.

I might go check it out someday.

Moore
02-13-06, 21:09
My girlfriend says you need a permanent DNI (Not the temp foreigner one being issued, which is permanent after a couple of years) for Cedular.

I might go check it out someday.I'm 90% sure thats true.

It's also logical, since the Cedula, just like the passport, is valid for 5 years while a temporary DNI/visa is valid for only one year.

Also regarding the DNI/Cedula for foreigners - as mentioned you can travel on it (w/o passport) within Mercosur countries, unless that country requires a visa from your country of citizenship. Thus, a US national still needs his US passport and a visa to enter Brazil regardless of his residency status in Argentina. I had a permresident friend get nabbed on that once.

Maybe these recent posts should be moved to the visa/ID section.