PDA

View Full Version : El Alamo

Jackson
09-06-05, 11:18
El Alamo

Uruguay 1175, near Santa Fe.

They cater to Americans and Europeans. They are a sports bar on the lower floor and a finer restaurant upstairs. They have Direct TV. They have a NFL Package covering games on Sunday, Monday, and Thursday nights. They receive 2 MLB games each night and will get the NBA. Also, 2 Bloomberg stock market channels, not CNBC or FOX. They have a long ''happy hour''.

- All major sports events including NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL
- College Football on Saturdays / NFL on Sundays
- Sunday and Monday night Football
- Open 24 hours a day
- Major Credit Cards accepted

Thomaso276
09-19-05, 00:46
Today, Sunday, September 18, I spent the whole afternoon there watching games, eating and hanging out with other NFL fans. I met some guys not from the board who were also looking for a place to hang out on Sunday. I think this place is a winner for those who want a little USA flavor during the season.

Overall a great day, except my Packers suck this year (so far)

Exon123
09-19-05, 12:02
I was there most of the Day myself,

Great Place, the food I had was great, I had the Pork Tenderloin for lunch, which I will repete.

The Owner, who's name is Peter, an American, Had read our friend DickHeads post below and told me how sorry he was about DickHeads experience. He explained that they had only been open a day or so the day DickHead had dropped in and his staff had not been trained.

Moreover, the staff was not aware of the pricing sturcture and DickHead had been over charged and promised me that if he returned he'd make it right.

All that being said I want to Fuck the Manager, "Monica", and if she would agree, I'd double her salary for life and promise never to fuck any other Chica again, EVER.

Finally, Peter stated that sometime in the next week or so he was installing equipment that would bring every US TV cable channel into the Bar. This would mean I could drop in for lunch and watch CNBC, the Financial News Channel and "As The World Turns", (My two favorite's) live and in color while drooling over Monica.

Look For Exon in El Alamo, a two thumb's up.

Exon

Thomaso276
09-26-05, 11:10
Spent all afternoon at the Alamo Sunday watching NFL games. First of all, my Packers are in trouble, so it will be a long season. The early games were lightly attended while my girlfriend and I ate a nice lunch. The 5pm games really picked up. What I liked was the ambiance of 25 - 30 people each cheering on their respective teams. Alot of emotion added to the feeling that this was a great place to be on Sunday.

Plenty of regular board members were there and I particularly enjoyed interacting with other folks from around the USA who were visiting. Nothing like the NFL to facillitate a conversation. I talked with a couple from Mississippi who knew Brett Favre and we agreed this was his last year. What really made it for me was the young guy with the Charger (BREES) jersey who came in for the night game. Man he was excited. Felt like I was back in my favorite local place on Sunday watching the games.

The place has been opened three weeks now and as with any new restaurant has worked out the kinks. Food, service and drinks were just fine (In any event, I never had any problems before) The owner - Peter - is a great host who spends alot of time making sure everyone is enjoying themselves. I missed out on the Saturday college games but may stop in next week to catch one.

Jackson
09-26-05, 11:41
Greetings everyone,

I had a great time at El Alamo yesterday afternoon. Different NFL games on TVs around the bar and restaurant area, so everybody got to see their favorite game.

The food and service was great. I think Peter had one employee there for every customer. It was also great to eat some American food. I had the American Breakfast, which is similar to a Denny's All American Slam: Real link sausages, real bacon, fries and three eggs actually cooked sunny side up with toast for sopping up the yoke. Perfect!

One guy ordered his eggs over easy, and the chef misunderstood and scrambled them. They were only too pleased to re-cook his order, and it certainly wasn't anything that anybody might get belligerent about.

Peter also had an array of Sunday newspapers for everyone, and the two-computer "internet cafe" is now available for checking email, perusing internet chicas, etc. No need to feel embarassed by shoulder surfers here.

I also gave Peter some suggestions for new menu items, including a real Ceasar salad with real croutons, and perhaps real chili con carne. I'm sure well be seeing these on the menu in the near future.

I rate the place a "Two Thumbs Up!"

Thanks,

Jackson

Metkim
09-26-05, 13:40
I concur with Jackson, I was there for 9 hours watching 3 games. I think it is great to come to a place that is different from all the other bars and restaurants you find here in BA. I actually felt like I was state side yesterday. I found Peter to be a great host and very receptive to new ideas. Lets hope he has buffalo wings in the near future. I ate the all-american breakfast and it was huge. For dinner, I had the fajita, and it was quite yummy. They actual made it with an Asian twist. All in all, a great place to watch a game.

Exon123
09-26-05, 16:38
They've Got Beefeaters Too.

Exon

Bowdie
09-26-05, 21:44
Dear Ladies and Gentelmen.

I have been sitting in quitely for a couple of months now and I must say that this thread has been the balls to follow over the last week.

First off DickHead's coments about Monica tells me I need to meet this women.

And Exon's claim that she is his furthur indicates I must.

Second the Packers are the greatest football team to ever exist and I come from Boston. I am pretty sure that they are still the only team to ever have won three concecutive super bowls. Yes Brett is done but it won't take them long to come back.

Third I will be at El Alamo for lunch on Thursday hopfully with Ana and would like to meet some of you.

Exon123
09-28-05, 11:41
Nice lunch their with MoonDog & Others including "El Jackson"

Exon

Daddy Rulz
09-28-05, 14:05
From reading the posts about this place after having been there I think I'll talk the rich prospective father in law into opening a restaurant down there. Beng an actual resident of the Lone Star State I have no doubt what so ever that I can kick their asses.

Here is my vision, if it's a sports bar it will be full of TVs, not just two little ones over the bar. For BBQ I will take the awesome beef that we have ALL come to love and offer it cooked both on an Argentine grill and smoked from a 55 gallon drum. There will be spicy BBQ sauce available. Bar stools will be saddles and tractor seats. Shiner and lone star will be avalable but no fucking coors because all real Texans fucking hate Colorado. There will be real pico de gallo for fajitas even if I have to grow Jalapenos myself on the roof. They will be served on a sizzling platter as God himself intended. There will be NO semi-fag waiter allowed but only VERY cute girls in denim mini skirts and cowboy boots named Loretta. Shirts will be sports gear depending on the season cut short and scooped low. We will bake our own croutons.

American coustoms will apply including a big assed bell behind the bar to ring for good tips and nobody has to remove their spurs. There will be at least one fight every night arising from a debate as to who is the best football team ever.

Do I have your support?

And of course there will be an on-premise manicurist so Exon can get a handjob whenever he wishes.

Hi Daddy Rulz,

Actually, Peter just recently added two new TVs in the dining room to supplement the two over the bar. All the TVs are independently controlled, so that provides the potential to view 4 games simultaneously.

Given the 10,000 to 15,000 peso price tag on wide screen TVs in this country, I can understand why Peter hasn't rushed out to buy one, but I'd bet that he probably would if he got a little prodding.

Thanks,

Jackson

Anna Luna
09-29-05, 00:58
I was asking in the Alamo if they cook at any time, my clients sometimes want to eat lunch or to have dinner before going to the airport and the Argentinean restaurants they are closed, it is good to know that there is an available cook at all times!

Thursday at noon I will be eating lunch there with Bowdie!

Bowdie
10-02-05, 16:47
Gentelman.

Between Mar Del Plata and Washington had a few hours to spend at El Alamo with Ana and we had a very nice meal'

Papa and Peter were there and had good conversation but I had to settle for Monica's sister as the only thing other then beautiful Ana to look at, short, blond, nice tits but I don't beleive a chica.

Exon you must have had Monica for lunch last Thursday!

Bowdie the fish Monger

Dickhead
10-03-05, 11:45
"Hi Stowe,

I have no idea why you would think that El Alamo "ain't doing it right".

1. American owned."

Their website says they are Argentinean owned and operated.

Stowe
10-04-05, 02:08
Yeah "American" owned but with Argentine service. Also, how could I not think they are doing it right when the manager is such a hot pussy.

After all, there are so FEW hot ladies in Buenos Aires that I must stay there all the time to look at her and hope to fuck her. And since it is so hard to find hot chicas there that are willing to let me fuck them, she is my only option.

Of course, the only reason I go to a bar / restaurant is for the hot chicas working there--Piola's not included:-)

This is the ONE time I will let my big head make the decision rather than the little head:-) Mark this day down that the big head actually made a decision.

Suerte,

Stowe

Moore
10-10-05, 21:56
After reading 3 pages of heated debate I had to try this place out. I was hungry thinking I would like to have some authentic American grub. Before arriving I was expecting an American restaurant and was already deciding - what should I have - baby back ribs, cole slaw, fajitas, salad with ranch, loaded baked potato, etc? Iced tea for sure.

What a disappointment! This place is about as American as IHOP is Argentine. Yes they do have a few American items listed like a club sandwich, American breakfast, and chips & dip. Thats it.

So I ordered one of the few American delicacies at this 100% Argentine restaurant offers - the "club" sandwich. It is exactly the same as a chicken "panini" you get at a Recoleta Village bar / pub like Bullers - a plain tasteless chicken breast sandwich.

Before reading the menu I asked the waitress in Spanish what bottled beers they have. The answer was an enthusastic "todas!" (that means "all of them" for zero-Spanish guys) Great! Amstel Light please. "Todas" meant all the five or six standard beers that every other place in the country has (Corona, Bud, Quilmes, Iguana, etc.

Don't get me wrong, this place seems to be a nice ARGENTINE restaurant with a good ARGENTINE menu and the prices are reasonable. The Bondiola dish on the menu looked like it would be quite good. Great location. I might go back some day, maybe with a chica, for a nice ARGENTINE dinner with some classical music in the background. Never again for US grub or atmosphere there.

Kansas is the only American restaurant I know of in Argentina (see Kansas thread) You will actually find great American food (and setting) there. As posted before, there is a large bar area there with several TVs. I have mostly seen soccer being played, but never asked to change the channel. I'm sure that a few gringos chugging beer and spending a few bucks would have no problem watching NFL / NBA / MLB / college there. The only setback with Kansas is that, being in Palermo, its not within walking distance from Recoleta.

Incidentally, I think I briefly met the owner at Alamo, and he is American. But, for reasons shockingly obvious to anyone that has visited the place, I strongly doubt that his intention is to have an American-style restaurant / bar.

Bowdie
10-18-05, 17:20
Were all down to dicussing and complaning to each other about our favorite beers / ales / stout and we all know that a mans favorite beer is his choice and is nobody elses concern.

Dickhead why don't you head out on the town and find another resturant / bar that completly gets you pissed off again.

I'll have the Fire Dept. On stand-by just in case!

It appears that all the fuss in the begining has really had a good effect on El Alamo and Peter. I found the restaurant very nice, the food was good and the Bud was very very cold. BC did lose the game that day and I missed Monica but plan to return to watch the Super Bowl.

Bowdie.

The Fish Monger

Jackpot
10-19-05, 19:13
I just had the American Breakfast at the Alamo.

The breakfast was awful!

I ordered 3 eggs over easy - soft. I got 3 eggs sunnyside up and cooked hard as nails. Said "eggs" were lumped on a pile of greasy fries under which were 3 skinney strips of bacon, burnt on the ends. All this was on one plate.

So it was difficult to sort the mess into edible groups. The orange juice seemed un-fresh and un-natural.

What was good was the toast and butter. The ambience was very good.

As was the service. I explained eggs and bacon on one plate, potatoes on another. We'll see if this message is transmitted to the management.

American hash browns or home fried potatoes would be REAL American.

Potatoes!

Will not repeat!

Sorry to bum-rap an American enterprise but you got to get it right.

Jackpot

Moore
10-20-05, 00:02
Jackpot,

Your opinion is similar to mine. El Alamo is not bad as long as you don't consider the food. American food anyway.

Did I mention that the ketchup they served me for my fries was in disposable packets like you get at McDonalds? (And it was that nasty sweet ketchup like you get in the UK)

Did I mention that when I went (about 7pm midweek) that I was the only customer in the place?

Did I mention that the televisions I saw in the eating area were strategically placed at waist level so that you can't see them whenever someone walks by? Not a single one of them was on anyway.

Did I mention that the "American" food I ordered there sucked as well?

I went to Kansas recently and got a real American meal at a much better restaurant / bar. Unfortunately they do not carry Amstel Light.

Sky Ryder
10-30-05, 15:14
Thomas, Papa Benito, Lunico,

It was great to visit for a while yesterday, along with Roxana's first visit to Alamo. It was too bad that "Wilma" was still raising havoc with ESPN's game plan in BsAs. It is funny to me to see so many Americans, still passionate about their college football so far away from home. You can count me in for a bit of that craziness as well.

I enjoyed the omlette and a couple of beers, and had a great visit. I doubt that Monica or Silvia will ever be on the "program", but it does create an interesting "dream".

Hunt99
11-21-05, 13:23
I was there all day yesterday. Along with 100+ other customers, watching the NFL, drinking, socializing, and having a good time.

I sampled a number of dishes, both my own and from friends' plates. Steak sandwich, hamburger, steaks, fries, salads, quesadillas, beer (Quilmes on tap) a couple of other things I forget about now. All good. My total bill for two, including meals, snacks, and booze for several hours came to a whopping 72 pesos.

Wonderful place. Just like a sports bar back in the U.S. Spent a long time talking to the owner. A great guy, whom I instantly took a liking to. I very much hope he succeeds in his business. Friendly waitstaff, and unlike many waitstaff I run into in Buenos Aires, they were working.

I would place people who want to slag off this place in one of three categories:

1. They caught the place on a bad day (which can happen in any bar / restaurant)

2. They just don't like the idea of an American-style sports pub in Buenos Aires showing something other than soccer 24/7 (of which this is the only example)

3. They're just being contentious assholes for the sake of being contentious assholes (of which we have a few on this board)

Two thumbs absolutely up. And no, I don't have a dime's worth of a financial stake in the place, the owner has enough juice to buy and sell all us mongers and doesn't need or want anything other than create more and happier customers. Which he is succeeding in doing, judging from what I personally saw yesterday.

Randy Farang
11-24-05, 13:03
Some people are NEVER happy. As my old Gunny used to say, You can always tell an asshole, you just can't tell'em much!

Wish I could join you for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Randy

Exon123
11-25-05, 20:48
All You Mongers owe Peter at El Alamo a Big "Thank You Peter"

The Man put on a beautiful dinner for all the Mongers & Chica's, Comp'ed it Free to everyone and not one Fucking word of a Thank You From This Board.

"CockSuckers" all of you that attended.

Everyone that attended this should personaly post a "thank You Peter" on the El Alamo thread.

Moreover everyone should go down their and spend a few bucks.

"Peter Thank You For a beautuful Evening, Your A Great Host"

Exon

Capt Dave
11-25-05, 22:03
ABSOLUTELY!

THANK YOU PETER, and the whole staff at El Alamo. It was all the more spectacular with the short notice you had to put it together.

That was an example of the spirit of Thanksgiving that you seldom see anymore!

David

Special K
11-25-05, 23:18
Agreed, we owe Peter a huge thanks for his special hospitality (quite unheard of) I will definitely make it out to his restaurant for another night out.

Barney Lobo
11-25-05, 23:55
Thank you Peter, the cranberries were excellent. I was checking out the menu on-line, I'll have to try the other items. Thanks again, I drank alot of booze not knowing it was going to be gratis.

Fred88
11-26-05, 11:06
It's hard to imagine how such a relatively disparate group of expats, visitors, and locals could have had a more enjoyable evening in each other's company than at El Alamo on Thursday eve. Thanks certainly go to Peter and all the fine staff at the restaurant for making it such a pleasant evening for all, even including the guy who tried the old "pull out the tablecloth from under the plates and glasses" trick and failed miserably!

And I remain amazed that Peter would comp all of us to that fine repast. I managed to leave some moderately significant tips scattered among the hardworking staff, but not one of the women asked me for a date.:)

A noble effort, for which also thanks to Jackson and all the AP people who pulled it together.

Peter (aka Fred88)

Thomaso276
11-26-05, 12:40
As always, Peter goes the extra step to make folks feel comfortable in his place. Comping the whole party was above and beyond. The food was great, the staff excellent. Thanks Peter, see you Sunday when my Packers lose again!

Tom

El Greco
11-26-05, 16:14
That means "thank you very much " in my idioma.

Everything was really great.

A great thank goes to Jackson and captain Davis too who made the arrangements.

Thank you guys it was great.

El greco

Roxanne
11-29-05, 10:21
Hi Gentlemongers,

I want to add my Thanks to Peter and Jackson for the great American Thanksgiving Party in Buenos Aires!;)

El Alamo is a great place to recommend for the American visitors and the others too!;)

I'm happy that I met a lot of old friends and new ones too that felt welcomed in Buenos Aires.;)

Kisses,

Roxanne

MoonDog
11-29-05, 14:19
I was not even there, but I would like to say thanks for providing a spot where we can watch American Sports on the weekend. It's great to be able to watch the NFL. NBA, or MLB and your favorite teams while traveling.

Thanks Peter,

Moondog

Hunt99
12-16-05, 11:53
11pm last night, I poked my head in, and saw a couple of nice looking girls, already previously engaged in conversation with customers. Not sure if they were hostesses or simply regular customers. But not a bad start, I should say.

Hunt99
12-18-05, 13:20
I spent yesterday at El Alamo watching football. Outstanding food, as always, friendly company, and the best owner in Buenos Aires.

Quester3
12-30-05, 06:05
Anyone know if El Alamo is open on New Year's Eve? Not for like a New Year's Eve celebration, just regular business mid day to late afternoon'ish.

I'm landing in BA on 12/31 and just realized that likely many places will be closed and before crashing to sleep off the jet lag I'm going to need to eat and figure out shopping for groceries next day. Might as well watch an NFL game if I can while eating.

Thomaso276
12-30-05, 10:09
Alamo is open 24/7/365

Norman Stormin
12-30-05, 23:28
Since this thread has so much action, and I had nothing better to do today, I dropped in to see what all the hub bub was about.

I approached from the opposite side of the street and was quite set back by such a beautiful house which had been converted. The double front doors were open and inviting me in.

I came in and Sat near the front. There were six old ladies seated near me. There were three old ladies seated further back near the bar. One guy was seated stage left with a lot of papers. I sat long enough to have a cigarette but there was no sign of a waiter. I went to the bathroom which was beautifully done by some architecht who was taller than 4 foot 5. I noticed the chalk boards announcing all the football games but only one TV was on.

Coming back from the toilet I looked in the kitchen. There were 7 or 8 men in there. I went to the bar with no bartender. There was one customer at the end of the bar eating. I walked out and found my way upstairs. A beautiful dining room. There was a woman with a lot of papers but she didn't bother to ask if she could help me. I just wandered around and helped myself. Beautiful place.

I'll have to come back and try the food sometime.

Exon123
01-01-06, 18:10
Happy New Year to Peter and Staff of El Alamo.

And Thank You.

From Exon

Capt Dave
01-04-06, 03:31
Hey guys.

Anyone thinking of stopping by El Alamo tomorrow (Weds) will have a chance to meet a group of young ladies Peter has invited just to brighten up the place for the Rose Bowl.

They have been selected by me from a list of women who answered one of my ads, and I although some I haven't met yet, the couple that I have were quite exceptional.

David.

BTW, this is a labor of love on both our parts - neither Peter or I have any interest other then to make El Alamo an even more fun place to hang out, and to meet some of these ladies ourselves.

Member #1164
01-04-06, 16:58
Just wanted to see who is pulling for who in the Rose Bowl I for one am from Los Angeles and have been a fan of USC football for like the past 15 years GO SC.

Moore
01-05-06, 06:07
Hook'Em Horns!

The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon Us

JengisKhan
01-05-06, 14:36
I have a few beefs with this place.

1) The TVs are all tiny. They have a few of them, but they are all 20" sets.

2) Last night we had to wait literally 2 1/2 hours for our food last night. The place was packed last night for the game, but after that kind of wait no matter what the excuse I would expect a little ass kissing. But no. No visit to our table by the manager, no free bottle of wine, no free dessert, no nothing. Just a shrug of the shoulders everytime that we asked him where the fuck our food was.

3) When it finally did come, and I'm not exaggerating about the 2 1/2 hours wait, they brought three dishes out of four. So my buddies girl had to wait another fifteen minutes. Basically we were so hungry that we ate our food and when we were finished hers arrived.

4) The food was cold when it arrived.

Other than that it was great! YMMV.

Moore
01-05-06, 17:40
JengisKhan,

When you say you have a "few beefs with this place", I think you mean Argentina and not El Alamo specifically. Although food is taken seriously here and restaurants are generally quite good, Argentina is not a customer service oriented place like USA. If you're an unhappy customer or have a suggestion nobody cares - like dealing with a government agency. You're going to encounter that kind of service and attitude often here. As for the TVs I have to agree with you there. Again Argentina is generally not going to have the huge appliances / cars that we have, but even my shithole boliche Envidia now has a large plasma flatTV (actually located at viewing level) and its not even a "sports" or "American" bar!

JengisKhan
01-05-06, 17:58
To Mr. Moore.

Well I would say yes and no. I have been here a while and have never experienced waiting 2 1/2 hours (I shit you not) That being said the other complaints are pretty much what is to be expected here except for the food being cold. Getting comped anything is not likely, but oh well, I was just explaining while Ill never eat there again, and what could have saved the day at little expense to them, despite the absurdly slow service.

Oh, and the food was average at best. Besides being cold it was overcooked even though I asked for it jugoso (rare)

Once again, YRMV.

Moore
01-05-06, 18:14
JoeNasty,

OK Ive never waited 2.5 hours but very recently (New Years Eve) I was at a place where I waited 20 minutes for another beer. And this place, located in Recoleta Village, was full but not overloaded. Common sense would tell you to have a couple extra servers / staff working that shift since you know that the extra demand will be there. But here you don't think like that - you don't prepare or organize in advance knowing full well that you will have a clusterfuck as a result. And make the same exact lazy "mistake" next time.

Belmont Too
01-06-06, 04:38
Did some one say that? I'm arriving on 2/5 and hope there is a Super bowl party. Can the regulares allow a newby to Ba to join the party?

I'm arrivng at 10: AM, first time and can use the advise.

Thanks,

Belmont Too

Jaimito Cartero
01-10-06, 03:20
I stopped in the other night for the first time, and it seemed like a nice place. It was during the Redskin / TB game, and there were some enthusiastic expats there. Pricing seemed good, and I could see myself dropping by here from time to time.

Mpexy
01-11-06, 20:58
Stopped by on Sunday to watch a couple NFL games and happened to run into the board owner, Jackson.

Nice chat and very friendly.

El Alamo itself is a nice hangout for watching games and when talking full speed english is a nice break from trying to constantly learn my spanish skills.

Hunt99
01-17-06, 23:11
I'm glad to see that there is finally a graphic advertisement for El Alamo on this forum, and I wish El Alamo all the best. At least now, newcomers will know to evaluate "independent":eek: comments on this thread just as they would evaluate comments from anyone else making a sales pitch to them. Fortunately, the sales pitch is now overt and not "subliminal"!Since you apparently begrudge Jackson for making some advertising revenue to recoup some of his (substantial) costs in hosting this forum, I am sure you will be sending a voluntary contribution to him so he doesn't need the advertising revenue.

Please tell us all how much you're contributing, and if you need the address for the place to which you can send your check, let me know by PM and I will be happy to provide it to you.

Jackson
01-18-06, 13:19
Greetings everyone,

Once again, the El Alamo thread has veered away from its intended purpose of being a place to discuss the merits of the restaurant and has instead descended into a scene reminiscent of a school playground, this time apparently due to my decision to add an "El Alamo" banner to my website.

My decision to design and post an El Alamo banner to my website was entirely mine, and was made without consultation with or compensation from Peter, the owner of El Alamo. I designed and posted the banner for a very simple reason: I like El Alamo. I like the location, I like the decor and I like the sports programs. I also like the people that work there and I like the people that patronize the place. No, I don't find the food to be exceptionally remarkable, although I do like the American-style breakfast, and in my limited opinion the chicken wings are the best I've had IN BUENOS AIRES.

Nevertheless, no restaurant can possibly meet the expectations of 100% of it's potential customers. To those of you who for one reason or another may choose not to patronize El Alamo, I respect your decision. Nevertheless, there's no reason to repeatedly post and re-post your criticisms. If the place doesn't appeal to you, then I would suggest that you might consider directing your energies towards promoting another of Buenos Aires's many fine eating and drinking establishments.

Thanks,

Jackson

Exon123
01-18-06, 15:52
I'd like to Add too Jackson's comments regarding El Alamo & Peter.

Number One: I'd like to remind the criitic's of El Alamo that Peter hosted a beautiful Thanks Giving dinner for all Forum Monger's "Free" of charge, No one paid Anything, some 55 guy's. Peter paid for the whole thing including wine & booze this out of his own pocket and only about 10 people even posted a "Thank You" Peter. I'm also willing to bet that not one of thease CockSuckers in their wildest dreams would ever entertain a thought as generous as that, ever. "Classless Mother Fucking CockSuckers", that were raised in a barn and it shows with their posts.

Number Two: Moreover, Peter has built "US" somewhat of a "Club House" where we're always welcome, can all Meet and or "Hook Up", speak "Our language", Watch major American Sporting Events and all for the price of a beer and no one seams to appreciate it. Where the Fuck else in Buenos Aires can you do that? Yet We've got Assholes posting complaints from the like's of, the TV screens are to small, "my service was slow", "I didn't Like my food", Ect, Ect. Thease ungrateful CockSuckers have nothing better to post other than to Malign, Be little and Demean Peter, his business and his efforts.

Now I believe theres something Basicly wrong with that.

Exon

Mpexy
01-18-06, 18:57
Everything Exon just said, but more polite - I think as well.

I'm totally new here so I don't really even understand the history on this or want to spend the time reading it.

All I'll say as a new guy is that in the time I've been in BA, I've very much enjoyed taking a break from all things Argentina that I so far find wonderful but need a little time here and there just hanging out at El Alamo for the company, both employees who work there and fellow travelers I've met, and the bit of Americana in watching the NFL games.

Advertised or not, subtle or outright, I don't particuarly care. None of us are children (I assume) so make up your own mind and let other's do the same. A deal is a good deal as long as both parties think it is, so if you don't think it is for you, fine. But that doesn't mean you have to shout down the ones who think it is.

One Tree Hill
01-18-06, 19:02
I have not been to El Alamo, but I commned you for calling out whiners who feel compelled to nit pick and then argue about it. I have no problem with facutal info. But the TONE of some is mind boggling.

That's the problem with forums. Everyone suddenly feels empowered and somewhat obligated to shepard the masses.

If you like it - go.

If not - don't.

It's obvious there are those on both sides. THATS LIFE!

Ampfofu
01-25-06, 18:57
I just got back from spending a month in Argentina. I visited The Alamo a few times. I will say this. Every time I went their I loved the food. I loved the atmosphere, and the staff was great. I forget what me and my date ate the first times their but the last time I had the lomo. The Lomo was great. This restaurant is on my top 10 list of favorite restaurants in Buenos Aires. Not only was the food great, but the staff was very friendly. And as for the prices. NOT BAD. EVERYONE SHOULD VISIT THE ALAMO!

Hunt99
01-25-06, 19:03
Amp,

You echo my feelings exactly. The owner, Peter, is a great guy who has done some wonderful stuff for the mongering community. Food is food, but when you visit El Alamo, you know you are giving business to friends, which I like very much.

Fred88
01-25-06, 19:58
I couldn't agree more -- I get to the Alamo perhaps a couple of times a month just for a nice break, talking to Nick or Sergei, the bartenders, and with other folks just hanging out. I've always had a pleasant experience and enjoyed the place; and the Thanksgiving dinner was simply an incredibly great gesture on Peter's part. No complaints from me, only compliments and thanks to Peter and his staff!

Fred88/ Peter in Martinez

Exon123
01-25-06, 20:18
In my post below, I Forgot to mention the free computers which everyone uses.

The CockSuckers

Flexible Horn
01-25-06, 20:42
As a Brit who knows nothing about American Football I snuck into El Alamo on Sunday, to see for myself how you yanks enjoy your football.

I met a few faces from previous trips, and some new ones. I think (as a non yank) you have a great place to hang with fellow country men and the odd Brit!

On Tuesday me and a friend got caught in that rain around 6 oclock, so being near El Alamo, I suggested we had a beer in there and he could see El Alamo for the 1st time.

As we entered Peter greeted us as old friends, which personally I think is a nice touch. He told us the 2 girls at the front where available, unfortunately 1 girl was a 6/7 and 23 the other was a 4 and 36, so me and my friend where interested in the same girl. Me being of a kind nature took a backward step and let my amigo do the running for the youngster.

She sat with the 2 of us and within the time it took to drink a coffee the deal was sealed and off they went.

If Peter can attract more girls of this stature, I think El Alamo will soon be on the Mongers to visit List.

FH

El Perro
01-25-06, 22:58
I saw in an advert that Wednesday is "Ladies Night". Has that been a pull for the ladies? I'll add my 2 cents on El Alamo. I ventured in right off the plane from the states, met Peter, and briefly Jackson and Capt. Dave on their way out. They turned me on to this board, and a better thing could not have happened to me. Even if the place never turns into a chica playground it will still be a huge plus. It may not be everybody's cupatea, but it's on my regular schedule. Plus, Exedra ain't far away.

Salute,

The dog

Belmont Too
02-04-06, 01:51
So, Is kick off 9:00pm local time? Boy, that cuts into cattin time if so! Can some one confirm, as I'm arriving that day, first timer. And I have many things on my mind, if ya know what I mean.

Thanks

JengisKhan
02-04-06, 16:35
Why would you want to watch the superbowl at the Alamo? All they got is 19" or 20" tvs. I understand for college sports and stuff you can't get on regular cable, but why for the superbowl? I'm gonna be on the lookout for a big ass TV tomorrow.

El Perro
02-04-06, 16:47
Let us know what you find. I'll do the same. I heard earlier in the week that the Marriott was having some shindig with a money up front "special". God knows what that'll be. Yea, hooray for the Alamo, but bigger is better for tomorrow.

Hunt99
02-04-06, 18:28
Why would you want to watch the superbowl at the Alamo? All they got is 19" or 20" tvs. I understand for college sports and stuff you can't get on regular cable, but why for the superbowl? I'm gonna be on the lookout for a big ass TV tomorrow.Tomorrow: El Cafe de Deportes en Buenos Aires:

On our first "Big Ass TV":

3.00 pm Futbol! Newell's Old Boys v. Gimnasia!

5.30 pm Futbol! River Plate v. Estudiantes!

8.00 pm Futbol! Quilmes v. Rosario!

10.30 pm Futbol! Cordoba v. San Lorenzo!

On our second "Big Ass TV"

3.00 pm Futbol! Boca Juniors v. Tira Federal!

5.30 pm Futbol! Lanus v. Banfield!

8:00 pm Futbol! Arsenal v. Olimpo!

10.30 pm Futbol! Independiente v. Santa Fe!

What is this you are asking about the big futbol game, Senor Gringo? Of course! We have all the big futbol games on our Argentine Big Ass TVs! Just look at the schedule!

Thomaso276
02-04-06, 20:46
Saw Peter this morning, he says he is renting a widescreen projection TV for the game to be placed (probably) downstairs. Reserved seating chart being used for the game and he is getting lots of reservations. You may want to stop in and ask about the game. Wait staff is aware of the process and can show you where your seats will be.

I always watch this game at home (Since Packers vs. Chiefs when it was on two networks! Later

El Perro
02-06-06, 10:47
How was the Alamo Supra Bowl thing? I went by without a reservation, denied entrance, and watched it at the Locos for futbol place in Recoleta Village. Big crowd, lotsa expats. Won some $ on prop bets and lost on the spread.

MoonDog
02-06-06, 18:32
It was a fantastic evening watching the Super Bowl. Thanks Peter, your staff was great.

Moondog

One Tree Hill
02-06-06, 20:37
I went w / o resv and was turned away of course. Looked like a fun crowd. Perhaps next time.

Went to Recoletta and watched at Buller on wide screen in ESPN VIVO. Great game. Not a Steeler fan per se, however Cowher is an alum of my school - NC STATE! Good to see a fellow Wolf Packer do well! Go Pack!

Flexible Horn
02-07-06, 00:46
Had a very enjoyable evening watching my 1st super bowl, a very nice crowd.

Myself I'm a huge soccer fan and it was good to watch a game with no violence from the fans!

FH

One Tree Hill
02-09-06, 00:37
Must say the tex / mex nachos were delicious. Nice to have food with a kick to it. Barman and waitress very attentive and chatty.

Larger screens would be nice, but alas we are in Argentina and just having a venue for American TV -Sports is great.

Jackson
02-09-06, 01:06
Greetings Everyone,

I arrived at the Alamo's Super Bowl Party just after kickoff, generally expecting to find myself too late and standing outside the door. Fortunately, I had made a reservation earlier in the week, and sure enough my table was waiting for me.

The place was full to capacity, but not overly crowded. The staff had been taking reservations for the past week, and every table, bar stool and spare seat was neatly labeled with someone's name. Very efficient and well organized.

Peter had rented TWO high resolution projectors with 10 foot screens for the occasion, one positioned downstairs in the front bar room, and the second upstairs in the main dining room. I use these type of SVGA projectors in my seminar business all the time, so I can tell you that these were some top-of-the-line 1,600 lumen models, and the picture quality was excellent. In addition, Peter had the game piped in over their sound system, which up until now I hadn't paid much attention to, but the sound quality was also excellent.

There were also the usual number of regular TVs strategically positioned throughout the bar and restaurant, so everybody had a good seat.

Peter had the entire staff on duty, and it helped, because the service that night was great. I was casually monitoring the timing of my orders, and I never waited more than 5 minutes for my next beer to be delivered to my table.

I ordered the chicken wings, Silvina ordered the ribs, and we split a Caesar salad, which after one bite I realized had been made with anchovies. Yuck! Anyway, I told my waitress that it wasn't to my liking. No problem, she cheerfully returned with a replacement Caesar Salad within 5 minutes.

I asked for my bill just after the game was over, expecting that I'd need to wait as a lot of other customers had the same thought, but I received my itemized bill within a couple of minutes.

I took some photos of the festivities with Flexible Horn's camera, so I'll post them later when he sends them to me.

Thanks,

Jackson

Mpexy
02-10-06, 02:20
Ditto on the great superbowl party by El Alamo. I made reservations and due to a little early timing mistake on when kickoff would be, came by at 6pm. I was the first customer in the place and I saw the very neat and orderly stickers all over the place with customer reserved names on every single seat and booth, while the statff pre-tested all the equipment.

The waitress pre-apologized as she was serving me drinks while I waited for more people to arrive that once they got closer to full she wouldn't be able to pour the new drink, just deliver the bottles. I thought it was a nice gesture even though I don't really care whether they pour for you on delivery.

Order to delivery times were very good, certainly better than during the Rose Bowl, and even then unlike a prior report, I didn't think it was that long a wait during the Rose Bowl which was full house packed too.

During the superbowl itself, I thought the large screen placement and number of extra tables they had put in were balanced pretty well. Peter certainly didn't block views by over-selling seats.

The only wish-list item that I think can be better for the long term at El Alamo is the general quality of food. But then again, it might just be an Argentina thing and not a lack of cooking effort at El Alamo. For example, they had fixed-menus with no changes for that one Superbowl day only, mostly snack type foods. That part made sense and I understand why due to cooking and speed to order / delivery times, so I ordered a hot dog. It wasn't exactly great, more like an oscar meyer hotdog - makes me wonder if all beef, ballpark style hotdogs are difficult to find a supplier for in BA?

Jackson
02-10-06, 16:14
Greetings everyone,

Here are some photos of the Super Bowl Pary at El Alamo.

#1 Downstairs Bar.
#2 Upstairs Dining Room with one of the big screens.
#3 Silvina with friends.
#4 Chicken wings, ribs and Caesar salad.
#5 Upstairs Bar.

Jackson

Thomaso276
02-11-06, 00:47
"all beef, ballpark style hotdogs are difficult to find a supplier for in BA? "

There are no such hotdogs here. Mostly German style, piel or sin piel.

Charlie Horse
02-20-06, 23:36
I clicked on the pictures on the El Alamo website, and wow, some very attractive young women. Are they the program girls? If so I just moved my trip up a few months!