PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Help- Eyeglasses

Smuler
10-05-07, 00:40
Perhaps a strange question.

I would like to replace my old frames. My lenses are still fine.

The cost in the US is a total ripoff. I knew an owner of a local NYC chain. He confessed to me that he pays 5-15 USD per frame.

Quite a markup, charging 100-150 for frames!

I want no upsell, just sell me new frames that my lenses can fit in.

Any suggestions?

Best Regards.

Smuler

Thomaso276
10-05-07, 01:03
Frames / glasses are not that cheap here. Lots of imports. Try some stores outside of tourist and high end neighborhoods.

Smuler
10-05-07, 01:36
Thanks Thomaso.

Best Regards,

Smuler

Strad
10-05-07, 05:46
Try this site: www.infinit.com.ar.

Infinit is just like Argentina wine, ignored by the rest of the world, is a pure brand name in Argentina, designed and produced.

The cost of making perscription lenses is slightly less than in the US; but in the USA, you can always go back to the place if something isn't feel right, they will correct / remake them for you. In Argentina, they are less flexilble.

The frames however are another story. I doubt if anyone can resist the look & feel after visting their site. I have two pairs, I wear them mainly for fashion statement. I have got them about two years ago in BA, met an Infinit whole-seller through a local. So there, after a couple of beers and some joints, I got them half-price, even less than the stores in Recoleta!

There are a lot of eyewear stores in BsAs, more or less each store is carring a few. The price (yr.2005) ranges are from 150p to 350p, I think. You can give them the style numbers find at Infinit website, maybe they can place an order for you.

I brought the frames back, and had the lenses made at a local store.

I hope this will help.

Strad.

Perhaps a strange question.

I would like to replace my old frames. My lenses are still fine.

The cost in the US is a total ripoff. I knew an owner of a local NYC chain. He confessed to me that he pays 5-15 USD per frame.

Quite a markup, charging 100-150 for frames!

I want no upsell, just sell me new frames that my lenses can fit in.

Any suggestions?

Best Regards.

Smuler

Smuler
10-05-07, 09:19
Thanks for the info Strad.

Maybe this wasn't a stupid question after all.

Best Regards.

Smuler.

PS- I sent you a PM

El Aleman
10-05-07, 20:20
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a lot of stupid answers.

Smuler, the area where my apartment is (a few blocks around the corner of Pueyrredon and Santa Fé) seems to pe particularly full of all sorts of health related shops, including optical. The reason is the vicinity to the medical faculty and a lot of hospitals.

I myself think of getting a pair here, any feedback from your side is welcome.

Hope that helps a bit more,

El Alemán

Smuler
10-05-07, 22:18
El Aleman. I will be there at the end of the month, and will report back. Thanks for the info.

Anyone know if I can just get my old lenses popped into existing frames?

I have done this in the US. Sometimes it involves cutting of an old lens to fit into a different frame. Certainly not rocket science!

Or will they bust my balls and tell me that I have to have a full eye exam?

Best Regards.

Smuler

El Aleman
10-06-07, 12:57
Smuler,

That depends on the geometry of the old and new frame. If they are quite equal in shape, and the new one just a little bit smaller, it should be possible. The important thing is, that the optician is able to keep the optical axis (the center of the original round lense that came out of production) at it's place centered right in front of your eye's lens, and has just to cut the edges to fit into the new frame's shape.

And if you get the complete eye's exam for free, take it. Your eyesight varies a bit over time, is different in the morning and evening, depends on the night before, etc. Etc. So, if you get several sets of results over some time, you have a chance to determine the average of your eye's values.

I am not an expert, just gone through a lot of this, and have some decent background in physics.

2 more cents from.

El Alemán

Smuler
10-07-07, 22:47
Excellent technical explanation of what it takes to get it done El aleman.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards.

Smuler

Smuler
11-04-07, 01:48
Sorry to report back. I never checked into it.

Smuler