PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining a Paraguayan Visa

Rock Harders
10-10-07, 05:08
Mongers-

I recently obtained a Paraguayan visa in advance of my planned trip next week and I figured I would chronicle the experience for the forum membership in case anybody felt the desire to visit Paraguay. The consulate is located at Viamonte 1851, about a half a block from Callao. I arrived at about 9:30am (consulate open 8am-3pm) and the place was filled with Paraguayans trying to sort out their various problems. I did a bit of research on the ISG previously and found the information conflicting and inaccurate. At this time, all that is needed to get the multi-entry tourist visa are ONE passport-sized photograph, $65 USD CASH ONLY, and your passport. When you enter the building, go to the first window on the left, there will be a printed sign that says VISAS / PASSPORTS. The attendant will give you two forms, one of which I filled out completely, the other I left half blank as it had questions I had no answers for. After a wait of about 15 minutes, the attendant called our names, we paid the $65, and that's that, the visa is ready at 9am the next morning. NO airline tickets, copies of anything, credit cards, hotel reservation, etc were requested as previously reported on the ISG. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the visa has a validity of the life of the passport (in my case 7 years).

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

El Perro
10-10-07, 09:56
Thanks for taking the time Dirk. Look forward to hearing about the trip.

Rock Harders
10-10-07, 20:34
Alan,

I edited my original post to answer your question.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

El Perro
10-26-07, 11:31
For anyone looking to spend some time in Ascuncion, Dirk has posted a nice summary of his recent trip on the ISG.

Thanks Dirk.

Ben There
10-26-07, 12:51
Do you know if I need a visa if I am crossing between Iguazu Foz and Paraguay?

Thanks.

Alan,

I edited my original post to answer your question.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Lexton
10-26-07, 13:54
It used to be that the area within a 30km radius of the bridge Foz-Cuidad del Este was considered a "free zone" by Paraguay and pretty much by Brazil also. I actually crossed without a visa in 2004 from Paraguay into Brazil.

Today, I would just go and get a visa and not risk it, even if it looks possible. Brazil has closed their side of the border completely as I understand it, and are even giving the Paraguayans a hard time, looking for products from Paraguay. There have been a lot of delays in customs and other problems with the bridge. If Brazil stamps you out on their side, you will want the Paraguay stamps when you return. If you exit somewhere else, you have to have the visa and entry stamp. If Brazil does NOT stamp you out, you could have big problems trying to get back to Brazil now. They fined Nibu I think 800 Real for not having an exit stamp on one trip.

If you run into any sort of problem in Paraguay and have entered without a visa and passport stamp, your options will be very limited. You can only exit if you can EXIT AGAIN WITHOUT THE STAMP. But if Brazil has stamped you out, you will have a hard time getting stamped back to Brazil without Paraguay stamps.

The whole risk just isn't worth it. There is a Paraguay Consolado in Foz where you can get the Paraguay visa if you have the Brazilian visa.

If you are going to visit, I suggest reading my report on Cuidad del Este in ISG. There really isn't all that much there, especially now that they are giving more problems with taking electronic products out of Paraguay. Paraguay is trying to negotiate a new deal with Brazil to allow the "sacoleros" to continue operating in a more limited way. They were shut down completely for a while, and IIRC the news, are still having many problems.

By the way, on my last 2 land border crossings from Paraguay to Argentina, Argentine customs was looking closely for electronics imported from Paraguay. They keep closing the border tighter all the time, because the damned merchants in Argentina are complaining to the government. They tell me the poor Argentines are limited to about 1 bag of 150 pesos / month. At the same time, the same Argentine merchants are bragging in the press about how the wealthy Paraguayans are forced to come to Argentina and pay inflated prices at the top of the line shops to get quality merchandise, because there isn't any in Paraguay (especially of clothing and jewelry) More rich beating up on the poor.

El Aleman
10-26-07, 16:12
I spent a weekend with a brazilean lady in Puerto Iguazu in July of this year. At night, we went to Foz, and the next day to Ciudad del Este. The only ones who did any checking were the Argentineans - they stamped me in and out every time. On the Brazilean side of the Brazil - Argentina border, no official was seen within miles.

Crossing into Paraguay, there was nothing on both sides. Some Paraguayan police or militia standing around with guns, but no document check at all (not us, and none of the cars within sight before us) On the way back to Brazil, it seemed that they pulled out cars with brazilean license plates, Argentineans got waved through.

We used the service of an Argentinean remis, and it seems that our driver Walter knows his way around very well, and is on good terms with many of the officials, so he would probably have been able to sort out any upcoming problem. And, I do not need a visa for any of the countries involved. If somebody is interested in Walter's contact, please pm.

These are just personal observations, certainly not an advice.

El Alemán

Lexton
10-27-07, 16:18
Me and my big mouth. I go to answer a question and am then stuck defending and further defining what I said, for no particular good purpose. And I have better things to do.

This damned bridge and crossing between Cuidad del Este and Foz is a constant source of irritation between Paraguay and Brasil, just as is the crossing between Encarnacion and Posadas for Paraguay-Argentina. They are in the news frequently, with many threats, periodic closings, strikes, delays and what have you on both sides. The issue is when one side wants to cross over and buy something cheaper on the other side. And it can go in either direction, depending on the commodity and other factors.

The certain thing is that control is getting tighter at all points. The bridge CDE-Foz has been in the news the last 3 months in Paraguay yet again. Below is an article from SEP 21, 2007 VANGUARDIA (the weekly newspaper of CDE) that talks about the completion of the new control on the Brazil side that they intend to have control 100 percent of the bridge traffic. From the article, it should be ready by the Christmas shopping season. This year Brazil had already announced the 3rd consecutive Christmas shopping prevention plan. Argentina will probably do something again also.

So, what has gone on here, and will go on here, and might be going on here when you cross is a matter for conjecture and your luck. Brazil has been threatening a wall along the river for 1.5km of their side, and I think they actually started it once, but Paraguay keeps gettng it delayed. I think they partly use it as a threat to keep traffic down. The article says that the new facility will use wire fence to block the get-around.

I haven't crossed in CDE personally for 3 years, so I am going by the news. From what I have seen of the situation over the years, I stick by what I said. Don't fuck with it. It isn't worth the risk. Just go to the Consolado and get the visa if you need one. And I wouldn't recommend crossing without the stamps even if you don't need the visa. But whatever you do, make sure the stamps are balanced exit-entry. You don't want to wind up with only half a stamp for a country. But from the article, you soon won't have a choice, if there is one now. And bear in mind the situation can change in a day if there is a delay or enforcement program of some kind.

When I went to Brazil, I stamped out of Paraguay, but did not stamp into Brazil because I had no visa. When I tried to re-enter Paraguay, they refused to stamp me in, since I had no stamp for another country (this would in effect give me a new 90 day entry) After talking a while, they Cancelled my exit stamp, thus leaving me with the original Paraguay entry. If the problem had been on the Brazil side, I don't know what they might have done.

As to Encarnacion-Posadas, I just crossed that again Oct. 18, 2007. Argentina now has it totally rigged out with grease pits for looking under cars and all. And they are inspecting all bags. It took me about 40 minutes to cross by taxi. Puerto Falcon to Clorinda has had xray machines for at least 2 years for looking at bags. Argentina is definitely looking for electronics.

So try to look for the news before you cross. Asking locals and or cabbies may help. And you should always be ready to tolerate a delay in these crossings. Don't do it with a tight plane to catch.

VANGUARDIA article folows:

VANGUARDIA- Ciudad del Este.

INTERNACIONALES21/9/2007

Brasil busca control total en la frontera.

Las obras de modernización de la aduana brasileña está en fase de culminación. Con ello se buscará un control efectivo del ciento por ciento en la frontera.

Se edifica igualmente un mirador con el objetivo de recuperar el atractivo turístico del Puente de la Amistad, de acuerdo a las explicaciones de los funcionarios de la Receita Federal (Secretaría de Ingresos Federales) del Brasil.

La segunda fase de modernización de la aduana brasileña está en su etapa de culminación. La gigantesca infraestructura sería habilitada a fines de año, de acuerdo a los datos. Después se iniciará la tercera why última etapa, que se ejecutará en la zona secundaria del Puente de la Amistad. La primera etapa de la modernización fue habilitada a fines del año pasado, why allí se realiza el control de personas why vehículos que ingresan desde el Paraguay. Ahora se está terminando la segunda etapa, que es el sector donde se controlan a las personas why rodados que salen de territorio brasileño rumbo al Paraguay.

CINCO MILLONES.

El objetivo es realizar una fiscalización efectiva del ciento por ciento, de acuerdo a lo afirmado por los responsables de la Receita Federal. Se han invertido cerca de 5 millones de dólares en las obras, de acuerdo a los datos.

Actualmente el control de los vehículos why personas que cruzan desde el Paraguay, no llega al 20 %. Mientras que los que salen del Brasil, no alcanzan ni el 5% , de acuerdo a las estimaciones de la propia Receita, publicadas por medios de prensa del país vecino.

Para conseguir la fiscalización total, la Receita igualmente aumentará considerablemente el número de fiscales en la frontera.

Una vez que culminen las obras de la aduana, habrá sectores especiales para la fiscalización de los camiones con carga de exportación, de los colectivos de turismo, de los denominados sacoleiros why de los vehículos particulares.

SEGURIDAD REFORZADA.

Todo el esquema de seguridad fue mejorado sustancialmente, de acuerdo a lo que se pudo observar. Alrededor de la denominada zona primaria fue colocado un sistema de alambrado especial para evitar que se burlen los controles. Igualmente fueron construidas dependencias especiales para la Policía Federal why para la Policía Rodoviaria Federal, de acuerdo a los datos.

La tan publicitada construcción de una muralla para evitar que se burlen los controles anticontrabando brasileños, fue suspendida.

El Aleman
10-27-07, 19:41
Lexton,

It was in no way my intention to put you into a position to defend yourself. What I did is just report one experience I had myself in this "triangle" about 3 months ago, and that runs down to while the Argentineans checked seriously, Brazil was very relaxed about everything coming from Argentina, and Argentine transit at the border to Paraguay. And Paraguay probably did not want to keep anybody from leaving their money in the country.

As you say, things can change within days, and especially Brazil (with even higher import taxes on electronics than Argentina) might try to get a tighter grip on things.

I have crossed a lot of borders in South America, and could write a book on my adventures between Argentina and Chile. For an European, who lives on a continent full of borders that are hardly recognizable these days (the worst is usually a bored officer that just looks if you have something looking like a passport or ID card) all this seems to be from another planet.

One thing you say is certainly right: keep your entry / exit stamps balanced. I once met a Swiss couple at an Argentine border post to Chile who wanted to go back into Argentina. They left via another pass over the Andes that has no Argentine checkpoint, you have to go to the police station in the nearest village - which they just did not know. And the Chileans stamped them in and out without problems. The Argentineans then tried to explain them that they could not let them into the country, because they never left it. They also did not want to them to leave their checkpoint. I don't know how that ended, This border post is the worst I have ever seen, full of idiots, They gave me 2 1/2 hours of hard time because somebody has given me the wrong form for my car. 3 earlier checkpoints just had ignored that fact, saying something about the stupidity of some of their colleagues.

So much,

El Alemán

El Queso
10-27-07, 20:04
I just wanted to confirm the posting by Dirk on the Paraguayan visa issue. I should have posted before myself, as I got one about 5 months ago, and the process was pretty much identical, except I had to visit the window on the right first to get papers - they may have changed procedures a little.

Also, there is some sort of Paraguayan agency right next to their consulate (to the right as you face the building) where you can get photos taken for 10 pesos. At least it was 5 months ago when I got my visa.

By the way, get there before noon if you can, and the consultate stops allowing people in at 2:00, although they allow you to finish your business if you get in before then.

My visa is for multiple visits, unlimited time, 9 years, again the life of my passport.

Queso

Redondo
12-06-07, 17:07
EU pasport holders don't need a visa for Paraguay right?

Facundo
12-06-07, 18:55
EU pasport holders don't need a visa for Paraguay right?No, you don't need one.

Redondo
12-07-07, 23:00
Can somebody advice a semi decent hotel in Asucion, about 80 to 120 dollars a night.

Like a bit below Sheraton

Rock Harders
12-08-07, 12:13
Redondo,

Look under the Asuncion thread on the internationalsexguide.info webpage for information on this stuff. I post on that site as.

Rock Harders and I wrote an extensive report on all the information you are asking back in October 2007. You got screwed on the airfare, you should have flown GOL, its about $150 USD round trip.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Pishqa
12-08-07, 20:10
Right downtown there are numerous nice hotels such as Las Margaritas and Sabe Plaza Hotel. I have stayed in both and enjoyed both. Both offer free Wi-Fi on all floors as well as included breakfast. Full rack rates are around $100 so you can get better rates through a wholesaler or possibly a website.

Sportsman
03-11-10, 02:45
Punter 127, Exon, and I went to get our visa for Paraguay at the consulate on Viamonte this week. We arrived at 10:00 am on Monday. We needed a passport size photo so we went to get them from the document and photo store few doors down from the consulate. There were a line of about 15 people stretching outside the store onto the street. Punter waited in line and I went to the consulate for the visa application and health questionnaire forms. I went to the window immediately to the left after entering the consulate front door. The visa application can be downloaded from the Paraguay embassy.

http://www.embaparusa.gov.py/visas_english.html

A copy of it is attached here. So you can fill it out ahead of time. I was told bring the filled out forms to Caja 1. (This step is different from the last time when I got the visa two years ago).

After I got the forms, I went back to the document / photo store. Punter and Exon are still waiting in line and it seemed it hadn't moved at all. I went inside the store just wanted to confirm they could take the photos for us. They told me yes and we could come right inside the store and by-pass the line. The cost was 11 pesos for 2 photos minimum even though only one photo was needed for the visa. We got them within 5 minutes.

Exon suggested go to a café around the corner for a cup of coffee and sit down to fill out the forms. Once we were done, we returned to the consulate and went straight to Caja 1. Good thing that was the caja for us because there was no line at all as compared to around 30 people in caja 2. The guy took our forms, passport, and 65 USD application fee – by the way they can provide change since all their transaction are in USD. We were provided a receipt and were told to return the next day to the first window after 9:00 am to pick the passport.

On Tuesday, again we arrived to the consulate around 10:00 am. The consulate again has wall to wall people waiting in different lines. We went to the first window, only one person was in front of us. In two minutes we got our passport back with multiple entries visas good for the life of the passport.

It was a painless process since we didn't have to wait inline at all.

Jaimito Cartero
03-11-10, 13:08
Crap. Looks like Paraguay is going to be ruined now, for sure.

Thanks for the info, though. Are you flying on Gol?

Sportsman
03-11-10, 18:59

Thanks for the info, though. Are you flying on Gol?I haven't set a date for my travel yet. But seems like Gol is the airline of choice.

Master J
03-11-10, 19:22
I was wondering can I apply for a visa for Paraguay while I am still in the US?

I am not sure if I will be traveling from here or from BA.

Thank you in advance.

Tequila Tim
03-11-10, 19:43
I was wondering can I apply for a visa for Paraguay while I am still in the US?

I am not sure if I will be traveling from here or from BA.

Thank you in advance.MJ,

I got mine at the Paraguayian Embassy in Washington DC, took a few days but overall a breeze. If you live near a city with a Paraguayian Embassy nearby you can take this route.

Punter 127
03-11-10, 21:10

Thanks for the info, though. Are you flying on Gol?Yes, I'm booked on Gol.

Rock Harders
03-11-10, 21:25
Mongers,

It looks like the process for obtaining the Paraguayan visa has not changed at all since I got mine back in October 2007. Flying on GOL is the best option to Asuncion, as it is the cheapest, non-stop, uses new 737-800 aircraft, and now you can earn AAdvantage miles on GOL flights.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Master J
03-11-10, 22:01
MJ,

I got mine at the Paraguayian Embassy in Washington DC, took a few days but overall a breeze. If you live near a city with a Paraguayian Embassy nearby you can take this route.There is one in NY for my region. I am correct that you send the original passport to the embassy? That looks like an accident waiting to happen?

Also does it seem that there is a heightened interest in Paraguay perhaps from having nice experiences from those providers in BA?

When those who mention GOL airlines do they fly from South America or US as well.

Does anyoneone have any recommendation for a nice hotel. I do not think I want the Sheraton or any other chain, but I did start off well in BA 7 years ago at the Hilton for $112 a night!

I am starting to look foward to this one.

Jaimito Cartero
03-11-10, 22:42
GOL is a low cost carrier out of Brazil. As far as I know, they don't fly out of South America. I think they took over some of the assets of the big Brazilian airline that went under (Varig), so their routes have expanded a bit of late.

I've only taken them within Brazil in 2006 or 2007. Service seemed fine.

There have been some trip reports of Paraguay, so I'd recommend starting there.

The airport code is ASU. I don't know of anyone flying direct there from the US. I checked from NY and MIA and neither showed any direct flights. I'd guess those would be the two cities most likely to have service. I'd guess you have to connect through Brazil for many trips.

Schmoj
03-11-10, 22:49
There is one in NY for my region. I am correct that you send the original passport to the embassy? That looks like an accident waiting to happen?Pretty much standard procedure for acquiring any visa. If you live near the consulate / embassy of country x, you can usually deliver it in person.

Facundo
03-11-10, 23:23
Do you know if I need a visa if I am crossing between Iguazu Foz and Paraguay?

Thanks.If you are crossing from either Brazil or Argentina into Paraguay you will need a visa if you are using an American passport or other passports that require a visa. Also, Canadians, Australians, and New Zeleanders need visa to enter Paraguay.

Suerte

Gabar
04-10-10, 09:38
Sportsman posted last month that he obtained a Paraguay visa for the life of the passport. I've got an Australian passport. I've obtained a tourist visa with multiple entries on 3 occasions in Buenos Aires, paid the $65, and the visa lasted only 3 months each time. Am I doing something wrong?

Westy
04-10-10, 12:27
Sportsman posted last month that he obtained a Paraguay visa for the life of the passport. I've got an Australian passport. I've obtained a tourist visa with multiple entries on 3 occasions in Buenos Aires, paid the $65, and the visa lasted only 3 months each time. Am I doing something wrong?Gabar, I believe you're reading the visa right.

My experience is a few years old, but it started with an official visit with a brown (Government Official) passport, then continued with several more "tourist" visits with my blue passport. Each visa says the same thing - "valido por 90 dias a partir de su ingreso al Paraguay" (valid for 90 days after your entry to Paraguay) My colleagues on that trip, both of them holding all-but-diplomatic status as liaison officers between our agency and Paraguay's corresponding service, told me they have to get fresh visas every 90 days. They figured it's worth it - as a matter of fact, the three of us went back together as "tourists" on the following New Year's holiday, and had a rollicking good time.

To support that 90-day limit, the visa application includes the question, "Have you ever been in Paraguay before?" Since I answered "yes" every time since the first, I believe that the Consulate would have told me if my visa was still valid.

What the heck - it's a small thing, about as much trouble and expense as a visit to a BsAs privado (if you're going from BsAs) Not as pleasurable, of course, to be "screwed by the government", but it's part of the price.

Sportsman
04-10-10, 23:01
Gabar,

I think your visa has a limitation of length of each visit, which in your case is 90 days. Since you have a multiple entries visa, the visa is still valid after the first visit. There should be issue and expiration dates (fecha) on your visa. I guess is you do not need to get a new visa each time, but verify that with the embassy / consulate.

My visa says "valido por 09 años a partir de su ingreso al Paraguay" and another line for the expiration date which is the expiration of my passport. My take is I can stay in Paraguay as long as my passport is valid – no limitation for the length of each stay.

Sportsman

Gabar
04-11-10, 10:18
I just checked my passport and all 3 visas definitely say "valido por 90 dias a partir de su ingreso al Paraguay", with everything from dias on already typed in, and with an expiry date 3 months after the date I told them I was going there. I think Sportsman got lucky when he got got a 9 yr one. Not to worry, a few days in BsAs visiting Gysells every time I visit isn't hard to take.

Exon123
04-11-10, 11:57
I just happened to be with Sportsman when I got my Paraguayan visa, along with Punter 127.

The process is very simple, all you need a is $65 USD and a passport photo.

The next day when we picked up our US PassPorts, the visa's are glued inside the pass port. The first thing we checked was length of time the visa was good for.

All three of us, the visa was good for the length of time the US PassPort was good for.

In my case, since the passport was less than a year old, was 9 1/2 years. The Paraguayan visa expires the exact day my pass port expires.

Exon

Gestardo
04-12-10, 02:20
I am a seldom poster but avid reader. My Paraguayan passport was issued in Washington and is good until my passport expires (in 2013) I cannot remember the fee, but the $65 mentioned earlier seems in the ballpark.

El Queso
04-12-10, 17:53
I also have a passport lifetime visa.

""Valido por 9 anos dias a partir de su ingreso al Paraguay."

"Fecha de expedicion 02 Mar 2007"

"Fecha de vencimiento 23 Ago 2016"

Notice that it says "9 anos dias." In my visa, the "9 anos" was handwritten in and "dias" is after the blank. But the date of expiration (fecha de vencimiento) is when my passport expires.

I don't know why some of you have gotten less than these lengths on your visas. Everyone I've ever known to get a visa has gotten one for the life of the passport.

El Queso
04-12-10, 17:58
Now, I do have entry stamps in my passport of 90 days, but only one actual visa. The wording on the entry stamps are "Valido por 90 dias" but doesn't say anything about "su ingresso al Paraguay."

The visa, as Exon mentioned, is a piece of paper that is glued onto one of the passport pages with a lot of information, very official with watermarks and a silver strip on the left side.

Do you have a pasted-in visa on a page or is it only a stamp?

Westy
04-13-10, 01:41
Now, I do have entry stamps in my passport of 90 days, but only one actual visa. The wording on the entry stamps are "Valido por 90 dias" but doesn't say anything about "su ingresso al Paraguay."

The visa, as Exon mentioned, is a piece of paper that is glued onto one of the passport pages with a lot of information, very official with watermarks and a silver strip on the left side.

Do you have a pasted-in visa on a page or is it only a stamp?I have pasted-in visas - one in my old brown "official" passport, three in my still-current "tourist" passport. Each of them says "valido por 90 dias a partir de su ingreso al Paraguay." The "90" is hand-written, but "dias" is hard-printed on the visa sticker. Overstamped with the Embassy seal.

No "fecha de expedicion" or "fecha de vencimiento". Just the "fecha" when the passport-control officer stuck the sticker into my passport.

Maybe this is a "gringo-buster" thing up here in Washington, DC. Maybe I'd have gotten a "life of the passport" visa if I'd gotten it in Buenos Aires, or in Montevideo?

Gato Hunter
05-28-10, 14:03
I went for my visa yesterday and picked it up today. I received the multiple entry visa good for the life of the passport. I was with a friend who had done it before, so I had help. There are two forms to fill out. I filled them out on the wall of the building outside. My handwriting sucks and it looked like a doctor filled it out. I could not even read it but apparently the Paraguayans could or they just did not give a shit.

When you show up get the forms from the girl in the information booth. Fill out the forms. And then you go to Caja 2 pay 65U$D fork over your passport and you get a receipt and are told to come back tomorrow. Caja 2 is usually the shorter line.

I had passport photos taken at kinkos back home but they were not the correct size. I had to go a few doors down and get photos taken for 22 pesos that were the correct size. In hindsight I should have just paid the woman to use the tool to cut the photos to trim the ones I had.

One thing I picked up on is the fact that cutting in line is no big deal. When we dropped off the forms people cut in front of us a few times. When I picked my passport up today I walked right up to the window and slid my receipt under the glass in front of about 7 people. Not a peep was said. I was in and out today in under 2 minutes.

Schmoj
05-28-10, 15:37
Gato,

Did you have to pay in USD? Or were you able to pay in pesos argentinos?

Gato Hunter
05-28-10, 15:49
Everything is in USD, even the Paraguayans were paying in USD.

Chica Seeker
03-05-11, 18:31
I got my Paraguayan visa earlier this week and wanted to provide an update. Thanks to the previous posts in this thread, it made the process a lot easier. As mentioned earlier in the thread, ignore the line up outside the Consulate and go directly inside to caja 1 where there probably will be no line up at all. (there will be a very long lineup for caja 2). You show your passport and receive an information sheet along with an application form and health questionnaire.

You then go to the store a couple of doors down where you get the visa photos which will cost 22 pesos for 4 photos (although only one is required). Again ignore the line up as they will take the photos right away.

You then take the completed forms, photo, passport and $65 back to caja 1, the forms will be checked, you will be given a receipt and told to return the following day for your visa which will be attached to one of the pages in your passport.

Canadians, in addition, have to provide a photocopy of an airline ticket, bus ticket, etc. As well as a copy of documentation showing financial solvency (bank statement, credit card, debit card or cash). I provided copies of my airline email confirmation and a recent bank statement. This is all set out in the information sheet mentioned above. The visa will only be valid for 3 months although a multiple entry visa can be obtained for $100, which will also only be valid for only 3 months.

Eo Daman
09-05-11, 19:37
Chica Seeker,

That was one valuable post! I just may still make it to Paraguy this trip! If I had read your post prior to hitting the Embassy & then the consulate this morning, I could have submitted my passport at Caje numero over to the photo place (got a card this morning) and been on my way tomorrow. I will try again at 8am. I may make it to Asuncion on this trip yet!

I wish I had read it last night, but just did not see it. Thanks again for your help!

Mil gracias Che!

Eo Daman

Eo Daman
09-05-11, 20:36
Just to bump up the address of where you would get a visa for Paraguay here in Baires;

Consulate is Viamonte 1851 (at Av Callao)

"Agencia Paraguay" (for your photos) is 1821 Viamonte.

Both open at 8am

Sportsman
09-18-14, 22:19
I noticed in the US State Department website the following requirement:

USA Citizens arriving by air may obtain a "Visa en Arribo" (visa upon arrival) at Silvio Pettirossi International Airport in Asuncion. The current fee is $160, payable in USA Currency (credit cards not accepted). If not arriving at Silvio Pettirossi International Airport, prior to traveling to Paraguay, you must apply for a visa in person or by secure messenger at the Paraguayan Embassy in Washington, DC, or the nearest Paraguayan consulate, and you must pay a fee.

This is a change from before when US citizen had to get a visa ahead of time. I wonder how long the Visa en Arribo is good for. My visa is good for multiple entries for the life of the passport.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/paraguay.html

Troyster
09-18-14, 22:46
This is a change from before when US citizen had to get a visa ahead of time. I wonder how long the Visa en Arribo is good for. My visa is good for multiple entries for the life of the passport.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/paraguay.htmlGot one last year at this time. Don't remember the cost but it was multiple entries for 90-days. And take note that if you happen to be on a flight with a handful of people who need one, it is a slow process. They use technology from the early 90's to do it. Or just make sure you are first in line.

HotRod11
09-19-14, 02:11
All US citizens need a visa to enter Paraguay. This is the catch. You can buy it at the airport upon arrival For $160.00 cash and its good for 90 days but if you buy it at a Paraguay consulate or embassy in the USA its still $160.00 but its good for the life of your passport. If you are making a connection in MIA its possible take public transportation to the Paraguay consulate and get back to the airport for a late flight out.

Dickhead
09-19-14, 03:28
If I were in Buenos Aires and wanted to go to Paraguay, I would go to the Paraguayan Embassy to get my visa just because the women working there are so smoking hot. They are very nice, too.

I have been to 43 countries and nothing fucks like a paraguaya.