PDA

View Full Version : Hassle of purchasing things

Monger514
10-19-07, 20:04
I love Lindt chocolate. My favorite is the pistachio bar. I know I shouldn't buy it here on principle because it's 2 1/2 times what it costs me in the States, because of the idiotic tariffs. Also, it's hard to find it. That Norte store near Jackson's apartment has it. But I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Today I discovered the liquor store at Santa Fe and Esmeralda, literally 1/2 block from my apartment, has it. I picked up one bar of Pistachio and one of Orange. About $5.00 USD apiece. Crazy.

Then the clerk looked up the price on his computer. He had to find both flavors in his list. What's a UPC code? They don't know, apparently. Once he did that he handed me off to the cashier. Why does it take two people to sell me something? I don't know.

So much time passed while I waited for this transaction to occur that common sense got the better of me and I walked out.

Thomaso276
10-19-07, 20:40
They believe in giving jobs to everyone, as well, they think this system of only one person handling the money reduces theft.

Geo Eye
10-19-07, 20:50
WELCOME TO THE INCOMBENT WORLD OR BUENOS AIRES.

This same thing a number of others similar stories have happen to me.

Argentine got to be the most closed-minded people I have ever met.

I have been saying this for a long time.

I give them a piece of my mind, everytime I have a problem, including getting in to a fist fight with one of the hotel people and a bouncer at a club.

90% of argentine people are ignorant and live in a box.

Still I have losers like that wally foot who take shot a me for putting Argentine down.

He is an idiot anyway.

Monger 514 be suspious and wary whenever you deal with the Argentine service people.

El Perro
10-19-07, 21:08
As has been posted on many occasions, this lack of decent service in restaurants, shops etc, is not limited to Argentina but is found spread through much of South America, Central America and much of the Caribbean. We can blast the Argies, but this is a widespread cultural issue that is definitely not limited to Argentina. And, it's a helluva lot easier to get laid here.

Hlover
10-20-07, 15:29
Who cares?

Good Customer service and efficiency is an American business attitude which may or may not be emulated globally.

Just enjoy BA and stop quibbling with small stuff -- yes, it tests patience but channel it to subsequent chicas.

Guiller
10-20-07, 21:54
Argentina is not the US! Enjoy whatever is good here. The US is excellent in commerce, finance and everything related to making money. Argentina excels in other stuff: human (private, not commercial) relations and above all, a real sense of freedom that on the large scale puts everything on the border of anarchy. Well. It's the price to pay. I've got an "uncertainty principle of quality of life" based on my living experiences that I'd like to share: it states that the product of the quality of public life times the quality of private life is a universal constant. In Argentina the first factor is very small. In other countries, it is the second one that is small. In yet another countries both are comparable. Take your pick!

All the best