PDA

View Full Version : General Questions about Living in Argentina

Jackson
01-01-07, 02:00
Thread Starter.

Globetrotter69
10-22-07, 16:35
To all memebers, can you please let me know if it is very complicted to live in BA for an American. I have been there numerous times on business and loved the lifestyle but am interested in knowing what is it like to be living there from a first hand perspective.

I have beeen living in Quito Ecuador for 4 years but because of the current economical and political situation here I have decided to move to another country, BA is my 1st choice.

Any suggestions as to possibility of getting a decent job there?

How much should I consider enough to be able to live decently, luxury not necessary?

I have read the postings regarding getting visas and need to know, can I decide to proceed with the processing of the visa if I spend the 1st 3 months getting to know the lay of the land before deciding.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Goodman 31
10-23-07, 13:08
I would like to see a break down of a retirees monthly cost to live in BA.

Redondo
10-23-07, 17:11
I would like to see a break down of a retirees monthly cost to live in BA.1500-2000 dollar gets you a decent life.

Master J
10-26-07, 22:21
I recently heard about a barrio called Adroque, which about 23 KM from downtown, I believe in the area or province of Almrante Brown. The images of the place look very nice, cobbled street, etc. Was wondering if anyone there had any information about what this area would be like ie safety, living, etc. Much thanks in advance.

Redondo
10-26-07, 23:16
I recently heard about a barrio called Adroque, which about 23 KM from downtown, I believe in the area or province of Almrante Brown. The images of the place look very nice, cobbled street, etc. Was wondering if anyone there had any information about what this area would be like ie safety, living, etc. Much thanks in advance.It's near Quilmes and La Plata.

Like everywhere in the south it depends a lot where you live, so it's hard to say about safety.

La Plata is close, BA not to far but you probally won't travel every night. If you have enough about going out 2,3 times a week, it could be your place.

I heard there is a nice disco in Quilmes, Bosque, that is nice on Sunday but I never go to the south for the night life because it's different and more dangerous then in Capital, especially for a foreigner

Aqualung
10-27-07, 00:49
Adrogué is relatively near Quilmes but it's about twice or three times as far to La Plata as it is to Buenos Aires. Not nearly as easy to get to as Quilmes from town as it's far from the highway. The train is dangerous any time of day and buses are dangerous at night. A cab would cost about 60 pesos and take about 40" to an hour depending on traffic.

It has a very nice residential area. Fine for a family with work and schools in the area.

Like all of Greater Buenos Aires (not only the South) it's not recommendable for foreigners alone wanting to play unless you know your way around and have a good command of the language.

El Bosque is quite a good discotheque and there are a few clubs for mongering in the vicinity much cheaper than in Buenos Aires but I wouldn't recommend them if you don't speak Spanish and don't wish to get into fistfights with the local versions of rednecks.

Exon123
05-07-08, 23:27
What are you hearing about the volcano in Buenos Aires?

Exon

Dickhead
05-08-08, 01:46
I heard Bush went to go see it but he couldn't tell the ash from the hole in the ground.

Tessan
05-08-08, 02:36
What are you hearing about the volcano in Buenos Aires?

ExonThis is the latest news. The ash will go in whichever direction the wind blows.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Direct Link: http://www.mercopress.com/vernoticia.do?id=13355&formato=html

Ash from the erupting Chaiten volcano in Chilean Patagonia has continued to advance into Argentina and the Southern Atlantic Ocean blanketing the city of Bahia Blanca (800 kilometers south of Buenos Aires City) and adjacent areas in the south of the province of Buenos Aires.

The long dormant volcano located 1.300 kilometers south of Santiago became active last Friday with a 20 kilometers high plume and raining ash over its surroundings forcing the evacuation of an estimated 5.000 people in a radius of 30 kilometers, according to Chile's Emergency Office.

But on Tuesday the dense high plume of ash took a northeasterly turn after moving southeasterly and blanketing with volcanic ash several Argentine cities in the province of Neuquen close to the Andes.

In its new direction ashes reached Bariloche, Argentina's most famous ski resort in the province of Rio Negro and then continued north towards Buenos Aires.

Rodrigo Rojas from the Chilean Emergency Office said that following Chaiten's thundering and double eruption Tuesday, on Wednesday "there have been no reports of significant changes in seismic activity or emission of ashes".

However flights from Buenos Aires were cancelled to most of the major southern Argentine cities because of ash in the air.

"The airports are open but the airlines cancelled flights because the volcanic ash gets in the airplane turbines and could cause material damage," said an aviation official at the Jorge Newbery airport north of Buenos Aires.

One of the main challenges faced by emergency authorities is drinking water because water sources have been contaminated by the volcanic ashes, which has also become a serious problem for livestock and wildlife.

Argentine Environment minister Romina Picolotti who was visiting the areas most affected said that the volcanic ashes "are not toxic" but insisted that all residents must wear dust masks that are being supplied by local and federal relief authorities.

Most schools in many rural areas which had been closed down were gradually reopening and in some locations classes have been suspended until next Friday.

In Chile the evacuees are lodged in Army barracks and school gymnasiums while trucks are distributing drinking water among residents in small locations.

The Chilean Emergency Office has also called on vets to help round up and care pets and other animals which were left behind by fleeing residents from the ash covered towns.

Chilean and Argentine presidents Michelle Bachelet and Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner were on the phone early morning Wednesday to agree on a joint coordination of efforts with the consequences of the volcanic eruption.

Tessan
05-10-08, 15:55
By Antonio de la Jara

PUERTO MONTT, Chile, May 9 (Reuters) - A towering plume of ash from an erupting volcano in Chile's remote Patagonia could rain down on the surrounding area and cause devastating damage, a volcano expert warned on Friday.

Luis Lara, a scientist with the government's geology and mining agency, said the column, which has soared 7.5 miles (12 km) into the air, was at a critical stage.

An abrupt descent would blanket vast areas with deadly hot gas, ash and molten rock, he said.

Authorities have evacuated thousands of people from the immediate vicinity of Chaiten volcano, 760 miles (1,220 km) south of the capital Santiago, and are forcing people within a 30-mile (50-km) radius to leave.

Chaiten began erupting eight days ago for the first time in thousands of years.

"We are at a critical point of this phase given the characteristics (of the eruption) have remained the same for several days," Lara said.

"The volcano is now at its limit and one possibility is that the column could collapse quickly, generating flows of ... material down its ravines," he said.

The column might descend gradually and do little damage. But in the worst-case scenario, the ash and fiery material would engulf the town of Chaiten, just 6 miles (10 km) from the volcano, and the areas around it.

Lara said the volcano could rumble on for years and suggested that the town, which is now deserted, be moved.

SOUTH ARGENTINA ALSO HIT HARD

The cloud has also caked towns on the Argentine side of the border with ash. Satellite images show a white stripe smeared across the southern part of the continent.

Ash that had drifted as far as Buenos Aires dissipated on Friday, and some airlines that had canceled flights overnight resumed service.

But towns in Argentine Patagonia were badly affected, with residents complaining of sore throats due to ash inhalation and being forced to pay exorbitant prices for bottled water because ground water had been contaminated.

Views of dramatic Andean peaks that serve as a natural border between the two countries were obscured by clouds of ash in the Argentine settlement of Trevelin, a popular tourist spot about 60 miles (100 km) from the volcano.

Shop owners put wet cloths and cardboard on the doorsteps as doormats to stop prospective customers from tracking ash into their premises. But they were losing the battle.

Some residents wore masks, but many did not.

"We keep cleaning, but still everything gets dirty at the same time. The dust and ash gets everywhere," said a hotel employee named Alejandra.

Back in Chile, many evacuees had no idea when they might be able to return to their homes and lives, and their frustration was mounting.

"We've been here so many days and no one tells us anything," said Iluminada Ide, who was evacuated to the southern Chilean town of Puerto Montt. "We can't go on like this." (Additional reporting by Jorge Otaloa in Trevelin, Karina Grazina in Buenos Aires) (Writing by Simon Gardner; Editing by Xavier Briand)

Gandolf50
05-11-08, 21:20
I would like to see a break down of a retirees monthly cost to live in BA.It depends on where you want to live and how you want to live. I live in a rural area (45 km to the west of the city) I live on 500 to 600 a month comfortably. This does not include going to the puterias or eating out every night. I have my own place, not very grand compared to US house, but very livable. Of course the capitol is a lot more expensive! Other estimates of around 2000 monthly are probably close to the mark unless you want to live in a shit hole.

Billyboy69
08-03-08, 09:46
What kind of businnes is possible to do in Argentina right now?

Not only in the Capital but also other area.

How much is the minimum to invest to start a businnes?

Yes yes. I'm confused but very very bored of my life in Europe.

I'm Italian, 25% Argentinian. My father is. And I have on zona sur one sister, but I'm Italian born here on EU.

I'm fluent spanish, I know what quilombo is Argentina.

But my juvenile idea to escape is never died jajajajajaja.

Anyway.

Mike Cockburn
08-03-08, 21:53
That is my impression too. The last years were indeed very good,

Argentina had an outstanding growth. But now we are going into a recession. It will not be another crash, but it will be worse.

There are a lot of opportunities in Argentina. No doubt about it. After each crise, new opportunities follow. But right now, one should wait, because it is getting worse. Look out, there are infinit ways of getting screwed. The argentinians seldom hold their word.

You will waste time and much money.

The economy is turning down and will worsen.

Dickhead
08-04-08, 05:21
But now we are going into a recession. "We"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? You said you were European. On 30 July you posted: "I am from Europe."

So post something useful about pussy, or shut the fuck up. I don't think you've had any pussy since pussy had you.

El Perro
08-04-08, 10:15
"We"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? You said you were European. On 30 July you posted: "I am from Europe."

So post something useful about pussy, or shut the fuck up. I don't think you've had any pussy since pussy had you.This Cockburn reminds me of Mr. Pee You Ropa. I ain't saying that he is a direct reincarnation, but there are some similarities.

Caveman01
08-04-08, 16:27
This Cockburn reminds me of Mr. Pee You Ropa. I ain't saying that he is a direct reincarnation, but there are some similarities.Seems like he'd done some bad bussines lately, and he's a little touchy.

Skifozo
08-08-08, 14:15
I have some colleagues in The USA that have active private and public companies of which of course sell shares.

They have alot of AR Resident prospective clients that have interest in purchasing said shares. The difficulty arises when AR citizen trys to wire money to the USA business acoount. The banks act as if its legal apart from enormous amount of paperwork, but reality is the wires go from the bank to central bank and back and nothing really happens and they give up.

Some have had success sending draft cheques through Banco Piano, but after about 10 clients succeeded in this, Piano also said no mas.

Does anyone know of any other sources or establishments similar to Banco Piano where one get get a draft cheque made out to a USA company frrom a AR Citizen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Facundo
12-04-08, 07:23
Bank workers are set to strike December 11, 12, 16, and 17. I'm not sure how this will impact the ATM machines. It might be a good idea to accumulate a few pesos before the strike starts.

http://ar.news.yahoo.com/s/03122008/59/n-politics-1076932-habra-cuatro-dias-paro.html

Daddy Rulz
01-06-09, 18:47
What is the name they use to get shirts starched at the cleaners.

Also, the name of starch at the Supermercado.Sid I don't think they have it, I've tried asking a lot of people about this very thing.

Modelo Vip
01-06-09, 19:05
Starch is "almidón" and you can ask the (usually) Japanese guy at the cleaners to "almidonar" your clothes. Or you just say "Con almidón, por favor". I hope this helps you,

Chanel.

Jackson
03-01-09, 20:20
Greetings Everyone,

I have moved the discussion regarding Public Wheelchair Accessibility to a new thread.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5336

I have also moved the discussion regarding Street Protests on Avenida Puyeredon to a new thread.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5337

Thanks,

Jackson

Gato Hunter
03-03-09, 14:34
After hitting some apartments this morning I was crossing Nueve De Juilo and this teen aged kid ran across Pelligrini against the light and just about got plowed by a taxi, screeching and smoking tires etc.

One of the PFA's on the corner started blowing his whistle and grabbed the kid by the arm and was laying into him something in Spanish. He then pulled out his ticket book and started writing what looked like a ticket. I did not stick around to see how it ended.

Was he writing a Jay walking ticket? I would have never thought they would write one of those here of all places!

Aqualung can you add some input from your point of view?

Daddy Rulz
03-03-09, 17:03
After hitting some apartments this morning I was crossing Nueve De Juilo and this teen aged kid ran across Pelligrini against the light and just about got plowed by a taxi, screeching and smoking tires etc.

One of the PFA's on the corner started blowing his whistle and grabbed the kid by the arm and was laying into him something in Spanish. He then pulled out his ticket book and started writing what looked like a ticket. I did not stick around to see how it ended.

Was he writing a Jay walking ticket? I would have never thought they would write one of those here of all places!

Aqualung can you add some input from your point of view?My guess would be a time and place thing. Major street, tourist area, almost caused a wreck ect. I would have thought a smack across the chops and not a ticket though.

Facundo
03-03-09, 21:39

Aqualung can you add some input from your point of view?Here in Buenos Aires Jaywalking is called "acción de cruzar imprudentemente". The person that stopped the jaywalker is part of the "guardia urbana". There are 400 of them all over the city. They were recently empowered to levy fines to jaywalkers, drivers not using their seatbelts, talking on the phone, motorcycle drivers not using a helmet, etc. Currently the form given to each violator with the infraction listed is being used by the city to compile statistics as to the type of violations pedestrians and drivers are committing.

The city has adopted a rigid approach in order to reduce the slaughter of pedestrians and drivers. This year the city government adopted a point system and hefty fines for violations. I drive all over the city and I can say drivers and pedestrians are the worst I've seen in travelling and driving in other countries. It's just as bad as my country, Italy. It's one of the worst in South America and the world.

Aqualung
03-03-09, 22:45
Here in Buenos Aires Jaywalking is called "acción de cruzar imprudentemente". The person that stopped the jaywalker is part of the "guardia urbana". There are 400 of them all over the city. They were recently empowered to levy fines to jaywalkers, drivers not using their seatbelts, talking on the phone, motorcycle drivers not using a helmet, etc. Currently the form given to each violator with the infraction listed is being used by the city to compile statistics as to the type of violations pedestrians and drivers are committing.

The city has adopted a rigid approach in order to reduce the slaughter of pedestrians and drivers. This year the city government adopted a point system and hefty fines for violations. I drive all over the city and I can say drivers and pedestrians are the worst I've seen in travelling and driving in other countries. It's just as bad as my country, Italy. It's one of the worst in South America and the world.You are right except that theoretically it has always been possible to give a ticket to a jay walker and not just now. Also, schoolteachers, priests / ministers etc. etc. can give out a traffic ticket or at least write down the details of the infraction and hand them over to a policeman to write out the ticket though I have never seen this happen.

For the last thirty years, about three people every two days have been killed in accidents on the streets of BsAs. This is only the Capital City. I have no clue as to Greater BsAs. This doesn't include how many of the eleven people injured daily that die a week or more after the accident.

Facundo
03-03-09, 23:10
You are right except that theoretically it has always been possible to give a ticket to a jay walker and not just now. Also, schoolteachers, priests / ministers etc. Etc. Can give out a traffic ticket or at least write down the details of the infraction and hand them over to a policeman to write out the ticket though I have never seen this happen.

For the last thirty years, about three people every two days have been killed in accidents on the streets of BsAs. This is only the Capital City. I have no clue as to Greater BsAs. This doesn't include how many of the eleven people injured daily that die a week or more after the accident.In Argentina approximatley 8760 die per year and over 120,000 are injured from car accidents. A high percentage of the injured long term care. Due to these injuries and fatalities the annual loss to the economy is in eccess of 10 billion dollars.

Argentina is a country that has a population 1/10th the size of the USA. In the USA approximately 44,000 people die from car accidents per year. If Argentina had the same population as the USA than we can estimate that approximately 88,000 people would die from car accidents every year in Argentina.

Jackson
03-03-09, 23:26
In Argentina approximatley 8760 die per year and over 120,000 are injured from car accidents. A high percentage of the injured long term care. Due to these injuries and fatalities the annual loss to the economy is in eccess of 10 billion dollars.

Argentina is a country that has a population 1/10th the size of the USA. In the USA approximately 44,000 people die from car accidents per year. If Argentina had the same population as the USA than we can estimate that approximately 88,000 people would die from car accidents every year in Argentina.The disparity in these statistics is further magnified by the fact that there are fewer vehicles per capita in Argentina, and those vehicles are driven fewer KM.

In other words, I'm suggesting that the vehicle deaths / accidents per vehicle KM could easily be 3 or 4 times higher in Argentina as opposed to the USA.

Aqualung
03-03-09, 23:29
In Argentina approximatley 8760 die per year and over 120,000 are injured from car accidents. A high percentage of the injured long term care. Due to these injuries and fatalities the annual loss to the economy is in eccess of 10 billion dollars.

Argentina is a country that has a population 1/10th the size of the USA. In the USA approximately 44,000 people die from car accidents per year. If Argentina had the same population as the USA than we can estimate that approximately 88,000 people would die from car accidents every year in Argentina.It's very bad but be careful with the numbers for the country. There aren't statistics available for most provinces. The numbers given out by ISEV or Luchemos Por La Vida are not 100% trust worthy. They have reasons to inflate the numbers. When I was in actively involved in this I was acutely disliked by these people for showing them their errors! Hahahahahahahaha

Gato Hunter
03-03-09, 23:39
What would happen if a foreigner gets a jay walking ticket here?

I jay walk all the time but not into oncoming traffic. I may go to Madahos but I am not that dumb lol.

Aqualung
03-03-09, 23:54
What would happen if a foreigner gets a j walking ticket here?

I jay walk all the time but not into oncoming traffic. I may go to madahos but I am not that dumb lol.Exactly the same as if an Argentine got one - Nothing!:)

Jackson
03-04-09, 00:18
What would happen if a foreigner gets a jay walking ticket here?

I jay walk all the time but not into oncoming traffic. I may go to Madahos but I am not that dumb lol.I've lived in Recoleta for 6 years. I've seen people shot, killed, assaulted, robbed, arrested and run over, but I've NEVER seen anyone stopped by a cop, much less ticketed, for their pedestrian behavior.

Thanks,

Jackson

Daddy Rulz
03-07-09, 18:53
(Jax if I'm breaking a rule here please delete this post and accept my appologies)

I ran across this other forum about expats living in Argenitna and found some usefull stuff.

http://baexpats.org

I registered and posted directions to the black market cambio I used touse in Galaria del Sol. Their rates were allways higher and never any trutcho. I posted then immediatly got banned for life. It was a mystery to me why I was, I dropped them an email asking for an explanation. All in all some useful stuff that you don't see here, it's not a mongering board but their auto banner has to go!

Master J
03-08-09, 00:36
Long shot here but I believe there is a 5k womens race Sunday. Anyone know where it starts / finishes? I saw a billboard but can't seem to find more info at Nikecorreo. Thought it might be a nice sight.

Thanks

Joinem
05-22-09, 11:18
The Smithsonian Magazine for June 2009 has a marvelous article about BA!

Many excellent photographs to inspire anyone who hasn't been back there in a while! A lot of insight about the international nature of BA.

Judd
10-13-09, 02:42
Hola Dudes,

The weather services online seem fairly general with lows in the 40's and highs in the mid 70's. Is that about right?

Thanks,

Judd

El Queso
10-13-09, 03:37
Hola Dudes,

The weather services online seem fairly general with lows in the 40's and highs in the mid 70's. Is that about right?

Thanks,

Judd2:35 am it's about 55 f. Today it almost got up to about 68 f. It's gotten up over 70 a couple of times this spring. Warmer weather coming real soon.

Wild Walleye
10-13-09, 10:44
2:35 am it's about 55 f. Today it almost got up to about 68 f. It's gotten up over 70 a couple of times this spring. Warmer weather coming real soon.It will be hotter than balls.

El Queso
10-13-09, 22:59
Daily Weather Report:)

Today was a bit on the warm side, about 75 or so, few clouds, reasonable breeze. Right now, 10:00 PM, between 65-70 degrees and a slight breeze.

I eyed that pool all day today while I was working - soon! Soon!

TejanoLibre
10-14-09, 01:54
Hola Dudes,

Thanks,

JuddThe weather in BA is worse than the poverty, crime or inflation!

Picture Houston, Texas in July without A / C!

Too hot to fuck!

Almost!

At least the Chicas do NOT wear clothing on the streets!

TL

Myomy
10-14-09, 13:15
Is there such a thing as a cute Spanish language teacher with benefits? I'll be in town for two weeks and need some good lessons. Really. If no one knows of one, someone might suggest it to one of their madam friends as a new twist.

Good idea or not, what do you think?

Wild Walleye
10-14-09, 13:31
Is there such a thing as a cute Spanish language teacher with benefits? I'll be in town for two weeks and need some good lessons. Really. If no one knows of one, someone might suggest it to one of their madam friends as a new twist. Good idea or not, what do you think?Several excellent instructors for Russian, French and Greek in Bs As, although 90% of them only speak Spanish.

Check the forum for member recommendations of English speaking chicas. They will be happy to try to speak Spanish with you. However, if you are looking for formal training, you may want to look at the threads on local instruction.

Buckinup
10-14-09, 14:57
Latuna,

Anina on Platynum speaks excellent English and is pretty much up for anything as long as you are paying. She'll show you around, take you shopping etc. Also.

SteveC
10-14-09, 16:29
If you're serous about learning some Spanish, I'd recommend you keep them separate. If you're thinking about fucking her during the language lesson, you'd be wasting the lesson. I had to change my teacher once, I couldn't concentrate.

Judd
10-15-09, 02:22
Thanks for the weather update.

BadMan
10-15-09, 05:08
We are all impatiently waiting.

:|

Regards,

BM.
I eyed that pool all day today while I was working - soon! Soon!

Myomy
10-15-09, 22:05
What US condoms are the best, most sensitive for the man? I used AR ones last time I was down south, felt like a Michelin.

Lysander
11-16-09, 14:46
Although I've been here several times, I have never actually spent Christmas and New Year here. So I am wondering whether to stay here or plan to go somewhere else for the Christmas period. What's the chica scene like then? Do privados stay open? Do the triangle clubs operate as normal or does everything die? Does night life continue as normal?

Any advice?

Lysander

El Queso
11-16-09, 15:53
Many of the foreign workers will go home to see family over the holidays. Leave something like the middle of December and return the middle of January or later, depending on their situation.

On the actual night of Christmas (even Christmas Eve, if I remember) things will be pretty much shut down with the exception of eating places, where it seems like 1/2 the people in the city go to have dinner.

You are generally getting into the time of summer vacations. Many Argentinos will go find a house in the country somewhere for a month to three months, take off from work or commute in if they aren't too far and need to work some.

Times are slow at this point for working girls, except for the foreigners coming in. I think there will be fewer available, but there also won't be as many locals either.

So you might find it slower, but I doubt dead.

Jackson
11-16-09, 20:44
Come on Guys,

It took me about 3 seconds to find this using the Forum's Search function to search for the word "Christmas".

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5199

Thanks,

Jackson

SunSeeker
07-22-12, 12:32
Ok, is there anything for the dryer like anti-static sheets? I've looked in Disco and now Carrefour since arriving and haven't seen a thing. In Rio everything was hungup to dry.

Gandolf50
07-23-12, 07:19
Ok, is there anything for the dryer like anti-static sheets? I've looked in Disco and now Carrefour since arriving and haven't seen a thing. In Rio everything was hungup to dry.Hell! If you have a electric or gas dryer here your living in the lap of lujo! I can't even find one out where I live. But to answer your question I have seen them in Jumbo. But with all the restrictions from the "Tres Chifilados" they might not be available now.

SunSeeker
07-23-12, 09:11
Hell! If you have a electric or gas dryer here your living in the lap of lujo! I can't even find one out where I live. But to answer your question I have seen them in Jumbo. But with all the restrictions from the "Tres Chifilados" they might not be available now.Thank G50, there is a washer and dryer in the apartment building that I live in. 5 pesos per wash and 5 per dry. Hardest part is getting enough 1 pesos or 25 centavo coins as that is all the machines will accept.

Mpexy
08-17-12, 08:07
Was happily surprised to see Galeria Pacifico and other malls open last Sunday. Not sure when that shifted to US norms but couple years ago they mostly used to be closed Sundays.

Least I can now get shopping done on otherwise slow Sundays

Chicago Guy
10-08-12, 14:52
I've heard a lot about the level of crime in Buenos Aires. When I was in Argentina over the summer, I didn't get robbed. I felt safe most of the time, but perhaps I was just lucky and naive?

I'm worried about getting robbed on the street / in a private apartment on my next trip to BsAs. How likely am I to meet one of these fates? What can you do to reduce your risk of something like that happening? Or is it just random?

Dickhead
10-08-12, 16:12
I've heard a lot about the level of crime in Buenos Aires. When I was in Argentina over the summer, I didn't get robbed. I felt safe most of the time, but perhaps I was just lucky and naive?

I'm worried about getting robbed on the street / in a private apartment on my next trip to BsAs. How likely am I to meet one of these fates? What can you do to reduce your risk of something like that happening? Or is it just random?I lived there for a total of six and a half years and I walked around drunk and fucked up a lot, and I never got robbed. I SAW several robberies, though. Also one time two guys started to chase me and I'm pretty sure they meant to rob me but I outran them. And a guy tried to pull my backpack out of my arm while I was sitting in Retiro, but also failed. I have heard of two privado robberies but they did not rob the customers.

I think you must be from Skokie or someplace like that and not Chicago. The dangerous areas in Buenos Aires are outside the centro. It is kind of the opposite of Chicago in that regard.

Daddy Rulz
10-08-12, 19:30
As a former criminal I can tell you low hanging fruit is the key. Appear to be too much trouble for value and few will chose to invest energy for meager return. I've never (knock on wood) been robber, accosted, molested (Jessica and Romina excepted) or other here but I pretty much always look like a bum unless I'm going some place.

Member #3320
10-08-12, 20:03
While I was eating my breakfast I noticed she was shedding bucket of tears in the kitchen.

So I walked to her and asked her as to what happened and the reason behind her tears.

She started crying at top of her voice and told me her story.

It seemed while she was talking on the phone on the road, two men crept up on her on a motor cycle, un-noticed by her as she was on the phone.

It seemed that they first punched her in the solar-plexus a few times, before whisking off with the phone. ( By the way, it was very cheap phone costing 100 pesos more or less)

It was quite a ghastly story, the kind which makes you cringe.

BA is clearly not for the faint hearted monger!

You need to be ready to prepare the worst if you are visiting here or living here.

Incidentally my cook is very fit girl. She tells me she does 300 squats every 3rd day. Despite the blows she received on her stomach, she still came to work and cooked my meals. A ordinary person may be lying on the road waiting to be transported home or to the hospital.

A newbie monger reading this board, may go back home unscathed but do not take your safety for granted in this city. Be forewarned. And if all you want to do is mongering in BA, their are safer choices in Sur America. Believe me!

Hope this story would be of some kind of guidance to the newbie mongers.

Cheers.

Dickhead
10-08-12, 20:34
What places in SA do you perceive to be safer for mongering? Because I can't think of a single one. Mendoza maybe is marginally safer but I don't think anyone would go there to monger. Any place else I can think of is MORE dangerous than BA.

El Queso
10-08-12, 21:23
Crime is on the rise here, but it's always been somewhat unsafe anyway.

She got hit by motochorros, a not uncommon event here.

I saw one go down at Uruguay and Paraguay (a place some on the board know about) once, about a year ago. It's a safe part of town. An old woman was walking on the sidewalk, near the street, and two guys rode by on a motorcycle and grabbed her purse, which was on her shoulder toward the street. The force of the grab spun the woman around and knocked her to the ground, where she hit her head and cut herself real good. Blood all over the place. The motochorros didn't even slow down.

A guy I know who used to come down here was walking down Callao around Vicente Lopez and two guys came up on a motorcycle, slowed down, one jumped off and hit him in the back of the head and ripped his watch off his wrist, got back on and they sped away. That was about a year and a half ago.

Both of these took place in broad daylight on a weekday.

It is said that home invasions are up, robberies are up, but it's all "perceived." I. E, the official numbers don't show it (which doesn't mean anything. The government doesn't even try to make its lies believable here). This is all anecdotal evidence, but it's a fact the economy is faltering and people here are a bit insecure. Amongst many locals there is a feeling of impending crisis.

However, I have never been robbed in the 6 years I've lived here. All of my family members have, but I don't know too many expats who have been. Not sure why that is, except maybe the areas they frequent (aside from my wife and sister-in-law who live with me, the rest of the family is poor and don't live all that well). Although, a recent article in one of the local papers mentioned a rise in reported home invasions in Recoleta, which s very close to one of the largest slums in the city.

Personally, I don't feel BA is particularly unsafe, but I also don't go out on the street flashing my cellphone or jewelry, dressed to the nines, and walking around without paying attention to what's going around me. BA is not a bad place to visit in relation to crime, in my opinion. Certainly there are many other places worse.

LukeSkywalker
10-10-12, 03:19
I heard from a few bros, The Pole Dance Party is pretty boring.

Anyway someone can record the event and send some videos to Youtube to dispel the ugly rumor?

POLE DANCE PARTY this FRIDAY!

I am hosting a Pole Dancing Party at the AP House in Recoleta this Friday evening.

We've got a professional stage, pole, lighting, special effects, mirrors and sound system!

Full Nudity Warning: These parties tend to get naked and wild.

Friday Night from 10 pm to 12 midnight.

Reservations are necessary to keep things under control.

There is a $300 pesos cover charge to pay the strippers who (big surprise) will not shake their ass for free.

Because we need a room full of guys to complete the scene and motivate the strippers, I have decided to make.

Any contributions to cover the expenses entirely VOLUNTARY and I will cover the difference personally.

Please RSVP via Private Message or call me at 15-4048-2827. Thanks, Jax.

(There is a $300 pesos contribution to cover expenses.)

SunSeeker
10-10-12, 10:24

Anyway someone can record the event and send some videos to Youtube to dispel the ugly rumor?

I am hosting a Pole Dancing Party at the AP House in Recoleta this Friday evening.

We've got a professional stage, pole, lighting, special effects, mirrors and sound system!

There is a $300 pesos cover charge to pay the strippers who (big surprise) will not shake their ass for free.

Because we need a room full of guys to complete the scene and motivate the strippers, I have decided to make.

Any contributions to cover the expenses entirely VOLUNTARY and I will cover the difference personally.

(There is a $300 pesos contribution to cover expenses.) This Friday will be my first one. I have read about some good ones, and I have read about a boring one as well but I think it depends on who is supplying the chicas and what he can get them to do.

This party is free and you can "pay what you think it was worth", so why not go, meet a few people and see with your own eyes."What is boring to one may not be to you."

Whiskas
10-10-12, 15:08
What places in SA do you perceive to be safer for mongering? Because I can't think of a single one. Mendoza maybe is marginally safer but I don't think anyone would go there to monger. Any place else I can think of is MORE dangerous than BA.Since I live in México I can tell you, virtually any place north of Guadalajara, Aguascalientes or San Luis Potosí in México, the northern part of the country is like the wild west and especially avoid the border cities like Juárez, State of Tamaulipas and just in case Monterrey. In my state a couple years ago they closed all the lap dance bars because of shootings, beheadings, blackmail, etc. So no más mongering here. No offense guys but I remember walking at night in Microcentro in BsAs in 2004-2005 and I felt like a king, even if today it is more dangerous than then believe me you ain't seen nothing yet!

México City is fine as long as you stay in tourist places not just for mongering but also for going to theathers, dining, etc.

Dickhead
10-10-12, 19:07
OK, so here is a geography lesson: México is not in South America. The Dominican Republic is not in South America. So where in South America is safer for mongering than BA?

Member #2041
10-10-12, 20:01
OK, so here is a geography lesson: México is not in South America. The Dominican Republic is not in South America. So where in South America is safer for mongering than BA?Santiago, Chile is probably safer, but the mongering is absolute shit.

Dickhead
10-10-12, 20:59
I'm not sure I agree Santiago is safer although right now maybe it is. I definitely agree the mongering is shit. So I think about other mongering DESTINATIONS in SA and you have Asuncióand, Río de Janeiro, Lima, Medellíand, Cartagena, and Quito. I don't think any of those places is safer than BA, although I have not been to Cartagena. For that matter I have not been to Río either but SO many people I know have been robbed there that I would reject out of hand any notion it is safer than BA.

Also there is safe as in not getting robbed, and then there is safe as in not getting killed. BA you might get robbed, but probably not killed. Lima they would kill you as soon as look at you and same for Medellíand.

¡Mátenlos en caliente, ése!

Member #3320
10-10-12, 21:12
OK, so here is a geography lesson: México is not in South America. The Dominican Republic is not in South America. So where in South America is safer for mongering than BA?Love your comments! .

Always so strict but so true!

Enjoy reading them.

Gandolf50
10-11-12, 19:29
I'm not sure I agree Santiago is safer although right now maybe it is. I definitely agree the mongering is shit. So I think about other mongering DESTINATIONS in SA and you have Asuncióand, Río de Janeiro, Lima, Medellíand, Cartagena, and Quito. I don't think any of those places is safer than BA, although I have not been to Cartagena. For that matter I have not been to Río either but SO many people I know have been robbed there that I would reject out of hand any notion it is safer than BA.

Also there is safe as in not getting robbed, and then there is safe as in not getting killed. BA you might get robbed, but probably not killed. Lima they would kill you as soon as look at you and same for Medellíand.

¡Mátenlos en caliente, ése!In BA latley they kill you for a pair of sneakers or a cell phone. It does not take much. Be safe! Don't flash. Dress down.

Member #3320
10-11-12, 19:45
In BA latley they kill you for a pair of sneakers or a cell phone. It does not take much. Be safe! Don't flash. Dress down.Bad things happen to me all the time in this city but I have got used to it and love it as the way it is.

Be safe guys. Don't take it for granted.

TejanoLibre
10-11-12, 19:56

(There is a $300 pesos contribution to cover expenses.)

This is the wrong thread but I will try to explain a few things to you and I also encourage you to show up one day.

The House Rules and some of the girl's rules do not allow us to record images and although we have had a lot of good ones there was an occasional bad one , always better than the club scene in various manners.

It absolutely depends on the girls more than anything else.

You can invite wannabe Pole Dancers from any club that just want to take the money and run and you can invite regular girls that get turned on when they strip for a room full of men and forget what time it is and dance for 5 hours . Those Private parties were the best !

The Mercenaries are or may be nice to look at but they are usually shallow, conceited and heartless souls.

Bring on the girl next door that has a fantasy to strip for men and you get a winner.

Every time.

The best one of all times jumped off of my balcony and she is the perfect example of a girl next door that gets turned on as an exhibitionist.

At least when the "elexir of love" is involved.

They all do.

TL

P.S - Sometimes you never know what to expect .

Hound
10-12-12, 12:59
Lima they would kill you as soon as look at you and same for Medellíand.Absolute bullshit. Where do people come up with this trash. Fucking histrionics. I mongered 3 months ago, July, in Lima, went to parts of the city in the daytime I certainly wouldn't return to at night, walked around centro at night with never so much as anyone getting intentionally close enough to say Hello, used public transport without incident. Yes, the city's largest chongo is located in an unfavorable zone. Just don't go there or have a local take you. Whenever and wherever you go don't look like a mark, keep your wits about you and you'll be fine in Lima.

Mongered in Med in August of '11. Same deal. Sure, centro after dark can be dicey. Lots of mongering in Med without going to centro after dark. And parts of centro are just fine after dark. For this monger, no incidents in Med either.

For mongering my vote goes to Med over Lima, more variety. For food it's Lima.

Dickhead
10-12-12, 20:26
Well, I was in Medellin for six weeks and I got mugged and robbed once, attempted to be robbed another time and hassled by cops for resisting, and given counterfeit money by a taxista who then called the police on me. In Lima the taxistas would not even take me to half the places I wanted to go, and twice guys reached in the windows of cabs to try to grab shit. Peruvian food can be very good but you have to be very careful because there is little refrigerated transport. I always get sick no matter how careful I am, and once it was quite serious. This is why Peruvians only eat fish for breakfast. All the intercity buses have armed guards riding on them and you are thoroughly physically searched before getting on. Lima is my least favorite South American city.

Gandolf50
10-13-12, 06:54
Medellin is without doubt one of the more dangerous citys in south america. One of my employees live there. He hates going home. Its even worse when you are almost 6 feet tall with blue eyes and blond hair. You stick out like a sore thumb and everyone knows you are a gringo. Kidnapping for money is a rt there.

Wild Walleye
10-14-12, 03:20
Medellin is without doubt one of the more dangerous citys in south america. One of my employees live there. He hates going home. Its even worse when you are almost 6 feet tall with blue eyes and blond hair. You stick out like a sore thumb and everyone knows you are a gringo. Kidnapping for money is a rt there.That is one of the things that I like about Argentina, I can blend in (as long as I keep my mouth shut).

I travel to nations with developing economies with some frequency. I learned (back in the 80s, how to keep a low profile). For one, I don't wear or carry branded items that confirm my gringo-ness.

Way back when I lived in Italy, wearing Nike sneakers was a dead give away that you were American (of course with a few exceptions). The only potential clothing hints are my jeans, although I only bring jeans that don't have outward markings (Lucky). I don't wear any jewelry, except watches and cufflinks. Depending upon my destination, those things may get left at home.

Wherever I am (No Am, So Am, Asia, Africa, Europe) , I commit to memory the basic layout of the city, the 'borders' and 'markers' that exist (that aid in orienteering) so that I can generally get around without ever taking the map out of my pocket. I also use two mapping aps on my phone and the integrated GPS.

In places like Dar es Salaam, it is a little more difficult for me to blend in.

Wild Walleye
10-14-12, 03:25
Well, I was in Medellin for six weeks and I got mugged and robbed once, attempted to be robbed another time and hassled by cops for resisting, and given counterfeit money by a taxista who then called the police on me. In Lima the taxistas would not even take me to half the places I wanted to go, and twice guys reached in the windows of cabs to try to grab shit. Peruvian food can be very good but you have to be very careful because there is little refrigerated transport. I always get sick no matter how careful I am, and once it was quite serious. This is why Peruvians only eat fish for breakfast. All the intercity buses have armed guards riding on them and you are thoroughly physically searched before getting on. Lima is my least favorite South American city.That is very interesting. I have not spent time in Peru and didn't have any clue as to the potential dangers. I'd like to think that I am careful enough not to get sick. However, I know that no matter how careful you are, sometimes it happens. I'm fastidious about potential contamination, however, I have managed to ingest some virulent stuff. Giardia is lots of fun.

Dickhead
10-14-12, 03:33
You know how in Buenos Aires you see those empanadas on display and they are neither heated nor refrigerated? Pretty much everything is like that in Perú. And you almost never see hot water in the bathrooms, leading me to wonder if they have it in the kitchen. That is why I finally started eating the cui; they kill it right before your very eyes. I should add that I did not get sick in the highlands, only in the jungle and on the coast. It was not giardia. I have had that and it is terrible but goes away within a week. After my longest trip to Perú I had the shits for a full six months.

Everyday Colombian food sucks. 'Bandeja paisa' = whatever leftover rotting bullshit. 'Arepa' = tortilla that would get you shot in México. 'Aguardiente' = if booze is a crutch this shit is a wheelchair. And don't get me started about the tapioca spit drink.

Hound
10-15-12, 14:04
This is why Peruvians only eat fish for breakfast. All the intercity buses have armed guards riding on them and you are thoroughly physically searched before getting on.Wrong and wrong. As I posted I was there in July, boots on the ground. I traveled intercity and interdistrict by bus. While those security checks were a reality mid 80s-mid90s they no longer exist. The SL and MRTA have been effectively denuded and emasculated. Guzman is on ice. No need now for that level of security. What they do, and 'they' meaning bus line employees, is take a panoramic of all seated passengers before commencing travel. Reputable bus lines don't stop to pick up locals and buses are GPS equipped so that company OPS knows exact locations at all times.

The only ones having fish for breakfast are those who can't afford Dunkin Donut / McDonalds breakfast sandwiches, can't figure out how to operate a waffle iron or scramble eggs or don't like fruit loops. My observations.

Wild Walleye
10-15-12, 14:41
You know how in Buenos Aires you see those empanadas on display and they are neither heated nor refrigerated?Just thinking about it loosens my bowels. The 4-hour rule, once it is cooked, it needs to 1) stay hot (at least 135F) .2) be consumed, or 3) refrigerated, within 4 hours. If none of 1-3 apply, it needs to be thrown out.

Pretty much everything is like that in Perú. And you almost never see hot water in the bathrooms, leading me to wonder if they have it in the kitchen.In situations like that (where I am fairly certain of unsanitary conditions abound) , I want it piping hot (Locro, soup, etc.). I'll take a pass on the fresh fruits and veggies.

That is why I finally started eating the cui; they kill it right before your very eyes. I should add that I did not get sick in the highlands, only in the jungle and on the coast. It was not giardia. I have had that and it is terrible but goes away within a week. After my longest trip to Perú I had the shits for a full six months.That stinks (pun intended).

Everyday Colombian food sucks. 'Bandeja paisa' = whatever leftover rotting bullshit.That is a great translation.

'Arepa' = tortilla that would get you shot in México. 'Aguardiente' = if booze is a crutch this shit is a wheelchair. And don't get me started about the tapioca spit drink.Frenet is originally Peruvian (isn't it?). You have to wonder about places that need beverages that taste like gasoline to stand up to its food.

Member #3320
10-15-12, 15:05
Wrong and wrong. As I posted I was there in July, boots on the ground.

The only ones having fish for breakfast are those who can't afford Dunkin Donut / McDonalds breakfast sandwiches, can't figure out how to operate a waffle iron or scramble eggs or don't like fruit loops. My observations.I second Hound's opinion on Peru.

Aqualung
10-16-12, 02:21
Going back to the origin of this post. Ten years ago I would tell foreigners visiting Argentina that Buenos Aires was probably the safest 'big' city in the World and that they could stroll around down-town or Palermo or Recoleta whatever time it was without the least worry of something happening to them.

Five years ago I would tell them that BA was still very safe but they shouldn't carry their passports around with them or any valuables more than the cash they thought they may need at the time and one credit card.

Today. Hmm, I don't know what to say. You may stumble around drunk at any time of the night and nothing happens, you may have your pockets picked at 3pm and you may be shot or knifed at 10am.

Years back a pick pocket didn't carry any sort of weapon because if, in his worst case scenario, he was caught his sentence would only be light. Today all or at least most pick pockets carry at least a blade.

Years back a pick pocket was just that. He prided in his 'profession'. Today drugged up kids roam the streets looking for any chance of making some money, be it picking a pocket, snatching a bag, robbing a kiosko or mugging a guy just walking out of a bank.

Those kids you see on the parks in the middle of the 9 de Julio will just as easy stab you for your cell phone as beg a coin from you. It mostly depends on how high they are at the time you cross their paths.

27 cops have been killed this year in Buenos Aires and I really don't know how many civilians as the government hides the real amount from us. In my calculations it's about between 20 and 30 a month.

Buenos Aires is still safer than most big cities in Latin America and many cities in the US come to think of it. But it's not much of a comfort to know that you were the only one killed in a robbery in BA on that day.

Of course, about three people are killed every two days on the streets of Buenos Aires in traffic accidents and still not much of a comfort to know you were the only one run over.

So keep your eyes open, watch the traffic lights and use your common sense.

TejanoLibre
10-17-12, 16:43
Going back to the origin of this post. Ten years ago I would tell foreigners visiting Argentina that Buenos Aires was probably the safest 'big' city in the World and that they could stroll around down-town or Palermo or Recoleta whatever time it was without the least worry of something happening to them.

Five years ago I would tell them that BA was still very safe but they shouldn't carry their passports around with them or any valuables more than the cash they thought they may need at the time and one credit card.

Today. Hmm, I don't know what to say. You may stumble around drunk at any time of the night and nothing happens, you may have your pockets picked at 3pm and you may be shot or knifed at 10am.

Years back a pick pocket didn't carry any sort of weapon because if, in his worst case scenario, he was caught his sentence would only be light. Today all or at least most pick pockets carry at least a blade.

Years back a pick pocket was just that. He prided in his 'profession'. Today drugged up kids roam the streets looking for any chance of making some money, be it picking a pocket, snatching a bag, robbing a kiosko or mugging a guy just walking out of a bank.

Those kids you see on the parks in the middle of the 9 de Julio will just as easy stab you for your cell phone as beg a coin from you. It mostly depends on how high they are at the time you cross their paths.

27 cops have been killed this year in Buenos Aires and I really don't know how many civilians as the government hides the real amount from us. In my calculations it's about between 20 and 30 a month.

Buenos Aires is still safer than most big cities in Latin America and many cities in the US come to think of it. But it's not much of a comfort to know that you were the only one killed in a robbery in BA on that day.

Of course, about three people are killed every two days on the streets of Buenos Aires in traffic accidents and still not much of a comfort to know you were the only one run over.

So keep your eyes open, watch the traffic lights and use your common sense.Nice Post.

I have 2 questions for you :

A friend of mine was stabbed by his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend while he was in his car waiting for her to get off work.

They had to open him up with a zipper to look around inside and patch him up.

The police let the ex-boyfriend go because he claimed it was a crime of passion because he was jealous.

Does that sound like a true story?

What about premeditation or attempted murder, etc?

But he is in the Police system now so he can't even fart without going to jail.

And secondly, what are your thoughts about carrying a knife, pistol, mace, cane with a hidden sword or a WMD?

TL.

I have been a victim of violent crime once in my bedroom and almost twice on 9 de Julio at 4am by the same 3 crack heads!

Aqualung
10-20-12, 00:56
Nice Post.

I have 2 questions for you :

A friend of mine was stabbed by his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend while he was in his car waiting for her to get off work.

They had to open him up with a zipper to look around inside and patch him up.

The police let the ex-boyfriend go because he claimed it was a crime of passion because he was jealous.

Does that sound like a true story?

What about premeditation or attempted murder, etc?

But he is in the Police system now so he can't even fart without going to jail.

And secondly, what are your thoughts about carrying a knife, pistol, mace, cane with a hidden sword or a WMD?

TL.

I have been a victim of violent crime once in my bedroom and almost twice on 9 de Julio at 4am by the same 3 crack heads!Obviously something is not quite right with your friend's story. First, the cops don't let you go. The court does. The judge must have considered the knifing as "lesiones" (injury) and from there on there are a pile of situations that can modify this such as injuries in a fight or a crime of passion and / or a pile of other situations. Also the fact he was let out doesn't mean he was let free. It means the judge didn't consider him a risk or that he was clearly the guilty party. It takes about two or three years to go to trial for something here. Once he's tried and found guilty he will get the real sentence. In the case of simple injuries the penalty is about three years imprisonment but as any sentence under three years (if it's the first time) doesn't require real jail time he won't go behind bars.

True, he's in the police system so he has to keep his nose clean.

Attempted murder is a different story. In that case the penalty can be up to three quarters the sentence for murder. Premeditation, stalking, lying in wait etc all add to that.

As you know I was attacked a year ago by a a drug addict who cut my throat and stabbed me repeatedly in the abdomen and chest cutting my trachea, my intestines and damaging my vocal chords. I am still alive because I got to the hospital in less than ten minutes and was operated on for 8 hours the first day and then the next day I was taken by helicopter to my hospital and operated on another two times in the first week. I have to live with a mesh holding my guts in for the rest of my life and I have a serious speech impediment that will never get better. The crack-head's in jail. And I mean jail not locked up somewhere in some police station and probably will be there for the next 12 or 14 years.

Carrying a weapon or not is a big question. To get a permit to carry a fire arm is not easy. Knifes are illegal to carry if they have blades over 4 centimetres long. Those swords in walking canes are also illegal and good for nothing. By the time you pulled it out you've been shot ten times or stabbed a dozen.

If you kill someone with an illegal weapon your going to go to jail for homicide. You will probably get the lower end of the sentence but you are going to do some real time and Argentine jails aren't pretty even less if your a Gringo. If you have a legal weapon you had better be able to prove that killing the person was absolutely necessary or you are in big trouble.

I'm totally against having mace or gas cans. I can tell you many tales of arguments getting really ugly when one of the parts pulled out a mace can. Even as protection against rapes, many women have ended up seriously injured or killed for having used mace. In many, many cases all it does is just infuriate the crook.

It is all a question of whether it's your time or not. I have carried a gun or even two for the last 35 years and I am highly trained in using one. The day I was attacked it was outside my house at midday while I was getting into the car to pick up my grandson from school and I didn't even have a nail clip on me.

The only advice I can give is that each one does what he thinks correct or best for him taking in account the consequences for his decisions.

Silver Star
10-20-12, 01:36
Obviously something is not quite right with your friend's story. First, the cops don't let you go. The court does. The judge must have considered the knifing as "lesiones" (injury) and from there on there are a pile of situations that can modify this such as injuries in a fight or a crime of passion and / or a pile of other situations. Also the fact he was let out doesn't mean he was let free. It means the judge didn't consider him a risk or that he was clearly the guilty party. It takes about two or three years to go to trial for something here. Once he's tried and found guilty he will get the real sentence. In the case of simple injuries the penalty is about three years imprisonment but as any sentence under three years (if it's the first time) doesn't require real jail time he won't go behind bars.

True, he's in the police system so he has to keep his nose clean.

Attempted murder is a different story. In that case the penalty can be up to three quarters the sentence for murder. Premeditation, stalking, lying in wait etc all add to that.

As you know I was attacked a year ago by a a drug addict who cut my throat and stabbed me repeatedly in the abdomen and chest cutting my trachea, my intestines and damaging my vocal chords. I am still alive because I got to the hospital in less than ten minutes and was operated on for 8 hours the first day and then the next day I was taken by helicopter to my hospital and operated on another two times in the first week. I have to live with a mesh holding my guts in for the rest of my life and I have a serious speech impediment that will never get better. The crack-head's in jail. And I mean jail not locked up somewhere in some police station and probably will be there for the next 12 or 14 years.

Carrying a weapon or not is a big question. To get a permit to carry a fire arm is not easy. Knifes are illegal to carry if they have blades over 4 centimetres long. Those swords in walking canes are also illegal and good for nothing. By the time you pulled it out you've been shot ten times or stabbed a dozen.

If you kill someone with an illegal weapon your going to go to jail for homicide. You will probably get the lower end of the sentence but you are going to do some real time and Argentine jails aren't pretty even less if your a Gringo. If you have a legal weapon you had better be able to prove that killing the person was absolutely necessary or you are in big trouble.

I'm totally against having mace or gas cans. I can tell you many tales of arguments getting really ugly when one of the parts pulled out a mace can. Even as protection against rapes, many women have ended up seriously injured or killed for having used mace. In many, many cases all it does is just infuriate the crook.

It is all a question of whether it's your time or not. I have carried a gun or even two for the last 35 years and I am highly trained in using one. The day I was attacked it was outside my house at midday while I was getting into the car to pick up my grandson from school and I didn't even have a nail clip on me.

The only advice I can give is that each one does what he thinks correct or best for him taking in account the consequences for his decisions.Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

TejanoLibre
10-20-12, 02:18
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6You will read about the lunatic on top of the Obelisco that guns down the proteastants.

(Protesters)

Just popping speed and shooting Demonstartors!

I have a dream!

TL

LukeSkywalker
10-20-12, 02:51
In any country, people who cause injuries, with passion or not, have to pay for it with a sentence.

If a resident was stabbed repeatedly in front of his house then violent crimes in BA has crept up.

What are the statistics compared to other large cities?

Obviously something is not quite right with your friend's story. First, the cops don't let you go. The court does. The judge must have considered the knifing as "lesiones" (injury) and from there on there are a pile of situations that can modify this such as injuries in a fight or a crime of passion and / or a pile of other situations. Also the fact he was let out doesn't mean he was let free. It means the judge didn't consider him a risk or that he was clearly the guilty party. It takes about two or three years to go to trial for something here. Once he's tried and found guilty he will get the real sentence. In the case of simple injuries the penalty is about three years imprisonment but as any sentence under three years (if it's the first time) doesn't require real jail time he won't go behind bars.

Aqualung
10-20-12, 03:05
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6Everyone has his little pet phrase but life hardly ever gives you such black or white options. I've seen cases where a simple fistfight ended up with a gun toting idiot overpowered and shot dead with his own gun by someone that had no intention of killing him at first. I've also seen cases where another gun toting idiot shot and killed and innocent bystander either by accident or by mistaking him for someone else. The 27 cops killed this year in Buenos Aires all carried guns. Most of them killed off duty. Some of them I know would have just surrendered their cars and wallets and walked home and still be breathing today if they hadn't been carrying guns.

These stupid little Clint Eastwood phrases really piss me off especially when used by little men who don't have the slightest clue what it's like in real life when you are in deep shit and have and have to pull out a gun.

Dickhead
10-20-12, 03:05
In any country, people who cause injuries, with passion or not, have to pay for it with a sentence. If a resident was stabbed repeatedly in front of his house then violent crimes in BA has crept up. What are the statistics compared to other large cities?You are a pedophile. We are not into screwing young girls here as you have twice posted about.

Your post from 9-28-12: 'I screw of lot of cute young girls'

Your post from 10-5-12: 'The pics show many good-looking young girls'

So go fuck yourself.

Aqualung
10-20-12, 03:29
In any country, people who cause injuries, with passion or not, have to pay for it with a sentence.

If a resident was stabbed repeatedly in front of his house then violent crimes in BA has crept up.

What are the statistics compared to other large cities?Real statistics are really hard to come by. As the government can't deny the insecurity questions they brought out some bullshit a few weeks ago that robberies had risen but murders had gone down. If this is correct it means crap because each and every robbery is a potential murder. All it means that people are more concious of that and offer less resistance.

Compared to other cities? Probably still safer than (or should I say less dangerous) than many other places. Others have commented on different cities in Latin America such as Bogotá, Rio, Lima or Mexico City. I don't have statistics from any of them to compare to the (incomplete) statistics I have from Buenos Aires but my impression is that they are worse.

Some cities in the US are also very dangerous. I have a fluid contact with law enforcement in the US and I know the problems they have with drug and gang wars in many places. The biggest difference I see is that they are confined to killing each other rather than ordinary citizens.

Violent crime has risen in Argentina to the same degree as drug usage. Especially by an increasingly younger age group. Extreme overcrowding in jails have lead to more and more suspended sentences giving the feeling of leniency. Most crooks that end up murdering have a long list of suspended sentences.

Tres3
10-20-12, 14:15
The most popular drug in Argentina is Crystal Meth. It is cheap to make, the ingredients are easy to come by and readily available, it is very addictive, and, unfortunately it will get you crazily high. I think that the craziness caused by Crystal Meth is one source of the sharp increase in violent crime in BA. A drug crazed criminal does not care what weapon his target may have. Until the government institutes a sharp crackdown on the sale of pseudoephedrine (a popular over the counter decongestant and the main ingredient in Crystal Meth) the use, and associated violent crime, of Crystal Meth will increase.

Tres3

Daddy Rulz
10-20-12, 15:10
The most popular drug in Argentina is Crystal Meth. It is cheap to make, the ingredients are easy to come by and readily available, it is very addictive, and, unfortunately it will get you crazily high. I think that the craziness caused by Crystal Meth is one source of the sharp increase in violent crime in BA. A drug crazed criminal does not care what weapon his target may have. Until the government institutes a sharp crackdown on the sale of pseudoephedrine (a popular over the counter decongestant and the main ingredient in Crystal Meth) the use, and associated violent crime, of Crystal Meth will increase.

Tres3Sorry bubba, by far the most popular drug in Argentina is weed. For what is known as Class A's in the UK coke is still way, way far ahead of crank here. I know you don't know me but trust me I know what I'm saying. Actually it's not even coke, it's Paco which is what's left from the process after the real coke is taken plus some turpentine and rat poison.

As far as the rest, given the corruption of everything down here I doubt cooks would need to start with sinus pills, they would just by bulk C10H15NO and jump start the process. Paying retail for something you only get a little out of doesn't make any sense except for a cottage setup.

I do agree with you that's its a psycho making substance though.

Aqualung
10-20-12, 15:43
Sorry bubba, by far the most popular drug in Argentina is weed. For what is known as Class A's in the UK coke is still way, way far ahead of crank here. I know you don't know me but trust me I know what I'm saying. Actually it's not even coke, it's Paco which is what's left from the process after the real coke is taken plus some turpentine and rat poison.

As far as the rest, given the corruption of everything down here I doubt cooks would need to start with sinus pills, they would just by bulk C10H15NO and jump start the process. Paying retail for something you only get a little out of doesn't make any sense except for a cottage setup.

I do agree with you that's its a psycho making substance though.Absolutely! The two most popular drugs here are weed and paco. Paco is an even cheaper version of crack. It's highly addictive and fucks up the brains of these kids really bad. Crystal meth is almost unknown. Pseudoephedrine is a big business here but for trafficking mostly to Mexico. Extasis is also widely used amongst middle or higher class kids.

Drug usage, especially paco and glue sniffing is one of the reasons for the excessive violence in crimes plus a heap of social, political, educational and economic issues.

Paladin
10-20-12, 15:52
On a more cynical note, image the electoral process with a teenage population on meth, paco, weed, and / or beer voting for the person who does not enforce any real law except when it is expedient to do so against the opposition parties or the media, or businesses that complain about the governmental draconian policies. For you younger guys and the older ones who have not lost all your brain cells by mongering down here, consider a re-read of "The Brave New World". It should be a must read every twenty years so you do not forget the possible. Soma by any other name is how a cynical government can manipulate a potentially hostile population by keeping them sedated. Just some food for thought. On that note-leave my weed alone- it is medicinal- right.

Daddy Rulz
10-20-12, 15:57
On a more cynical note, image the electoral process with a teenage population on meth, paco, weed, and / or beer voting for the person who does not enforce any real lawMy brother junkies don't vote. There is the odd exception or two but for the most part unless they change the sign from "vote here" to "free weed" one doesn't have to court the chemical set to get to 270.

Aqualung
10-20-12, 16:07
On a more cynical note, image the electoral process with a teenage population on meth, paco, weed, and / or beer voting for the person who does not enforce any real law except when it is expedient to do so against the opposition parties or the media, or businesses that complain about the governmental draconian policies. For you younger guys and the older ones who have not lost all your brain cells by mongering down here, consider a re-read of "The Brave New World". It should be a must read every twenty years so you do not forget the possible. Soma by any other name is how a cynical government can manipulate a potentially hostile population by keeping them sedated. Just some food for thought. On that note-leave my weed alone- it is medicinal- right.And they are trying to drop the legal voting age to 16!

Thomaso276
06-07-15, 13:14
A question for any folks out there who are public notaries in their respective states. Can you notarize a USA doc for me while you are physically in BA ? I can provide witnesses from USA. Thanks.

Vegas Vic
06-07-15, 20:09
A question for any folks out there who are public notaries in their respective states. Can you notarize a USA doc for me while you are physically in BA ? I can provide witnesses from USA. Thanks.It is not legal to notarize a document outside of the state limits (the specific state for which you are a notary). If you are on a ship, you are supposed to confirm with the captain that you are within that state's water boarder.

That does not mean it does not happen or anyone would know if you kept it between you and the notary. But know you are asking them to do something outside the law.

Edit: You can get things notarize in a foreign country and it is generally accepted by US courts. Just visit one of the local notary places.

Thomaso276
06-07-15, 22:13
Thanks for the info.

Gandolf50
06-08-15, 06:48
Thanks for the info.The US embassy will notarize things. You need to make a appointment on their website. Then they charge $50 for each stamp! If the document that pertains to your signature is more then one page, make sure to bring all the pages as they bind them all together.

Thomaso276
06-13-15, 14:40
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/12/state-department-passports_n_7573710.html

Passport / Visa info.

Paladin
06-30-15, 18:09
Gentlemen: For the past several weeks my Internet service with Speedy goes down from several minutes to almost an hour off and on all day... Generally it is only for 10-15 minutes but it truly fucks-up a call to the US on Skype. I live in San Telmo. Is anyone else having problems with Speedy and is Fibertel a cable internet provider. I believe that Speedy is a dial-up DSL, based on my router and no cable box... I really need some reliability now; but, is it worth the extra cost. I do not do any streaming.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paladin.

Daddy Rulz
06-30-15, 20:11
Gentlemen: For the past several weeks my Internet service with Speedy goes down from several minutes to almost an hour off and on all day... Generally it is only for 10-15 minutes but it truly fucks-up a call to the US on Skype. I live in San Telmo. Is anyone else having problems with Speedy and is Fibertel a cable internet provider. I believe that Speedy is a dial-up DSL, based on my router and no cable box... I really need some reliability now; but, is it worth the extra cost. I do not do any streaming.

Thanks,

Paladin.I've always had two connections in Argentina, one DSL and one Cable. Currently Fibertel and Speedy.

Gandolf50
06-30-15, 22:09

Thanks,

Paladin.Speedy is Telfonica Argentina, which is one of the worst phone / internet providers in the world!

ElAlamoPalermo
06-30-15, 22:36
You need to get Fibertel Evolution if you want a dependably fast, always there connection. It was recently upgraded to 50 MB/s download speed and has worked reliably with no downtime since I got it in February.

DavieW
07-01-15, 06:13
I've always had two connections in Argentina, one DSL and one Cable. Currently Fibertel and Speedy.Yup, that's what I had for the last 4 years I was there....Fibertel always the better of the two.

Paladin
07-01-15, 15:19
Thanks everyone for the info. I will check to see if Fibertel is available in my neighborhood.

Paladin.

TejanoLibre
07-01-15, 16:15
Thanks everyone for the info. I will check to see if Fibertel is available in my neighborhood.

Paladin.For many years I just locked on to the Hotel's signal that shares the walls with my building .

4 or 5 stories tall but there main unit is on the 1st floor and I'm on the second floor.

I can get a great signal from their 4th floor too.

So one day my internet went out on me so I casually walked in to the hotel and I asked the front desk clerk if they were having problems too.

He said theirs was down. I said it must be the whole neighborhood then.

A.B.D.- Always Be Downloading is my motto. Maybe 5 movies a day from Pirate Bay. Studio Screeners are the best, not the kind where you might see a Russian dude get up and go get some popcorn or hear people laughing and also have a wobbly image.

Got 3.5 Terabytes of TV series , Oscar winners , some porn got downloaded somehow.

Damn , with the hotel's signal I'm hitting 950 KB/s download speeds which to me is lighting fast. My own shitnet barely breaks 400 or 700 if there are 2000 Seeders and 900 Leachers.

But usually 285!

So Pal , have you got a hotel next door ?

TL.

Gandolf50
07-02-15, 10:23
Does any one know a good customs expediter? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Big Boss Man
09-19-15, 12:28
Can you purchase popcorn seeds at the local Disco? I snack too much and popcorn is better way in terms of calories to do it. I lost 5 lbs lately and would like to keep them off. I can buy a 10 serving bag for $1.89 at the local Trader Joes.

JuanManuel97
09-19-15, 12:40
Can you purchase popcorn seeds at the local Disco? I snack too much and popcorn is better way in terms of calories to do it. I lost 5 lbs lately and would like to keep them off. I can buy a 10 serving bag for $1.89 at the local Trader Joes.Look for "maz pisingallo". Disco and other chains surely sell it, and I am quite certain that you can also buy it at smaller neighborhood stores. Wholesale price is about 10 pesos per kilo, not sure about retail, if I had to guess, I'd say up to twice as much?

Hope this helps. Happy snacking!

Gandolf50
09-20-15, 07:24
Look for "maz pisingallo". Disco and other chains surely sell it, and I am quite certain that you can also buy it at smaller neighborhood stores. Wholesale price is about 10 pesos per kilo, not sure about retail, if I had to guess, I'd say up to twice as much?

Hope this helps. Happy snacking!In the movie theaters its about ten times as much as you pay in the super. But thats the way it is in the states too if I recall.

Big Boss Man
09-20-15, 13:26
In the movie theaters its about ten times as much as you pay in the super. But thats the way it is in the states too if I recall.My bet is that the majority of movie theaters or at least screens in Argentina are probably owned by American companies. Corporations like Cinemark, AMC and Regal are international.

Tres3
09-20-15, 13:30
Look for "maz pisingallo". Disco and other chains surely sell it, and I am quite certain that you can also buy it at smaller neighborhood stores. Wholesale price is about 10 pesos per kilo, not sure about retail, if I had to guess, I'd say up to twice as much?

Hope this helps. Happy snacking!"Maz pisingallo" may be Porteno for popcorn, but a company that prints its labels in proper Spanish will probably call it "maiz de palomitos" or just "palomitos". No matter which it is called, Gandolfo is correct when he says that the movie theater price is several time higher than the store.

Tres3.

JuanManuel97
09-20-15, 16:38
"Maz pisingallo" may be Porteno for popcorn, but a company that prints its labels in proper Spanish will probably call it "maiz de palomitos" or just "palomitos". No matter which it is called, Gandolfo is correct when he says that the movie theater price is several time higher than the store.

Tres3.Just to clarify, maz pisingallo is what is heated and popped to make the popcorn (maz = corn). Palomitas is a term common in Spain and Latin America, but not in Argentina where popcorn is known as "purur".

Cheers!

JuanManuel97
09-20-15, 16:41
Just to clarify, maz pisingallo is what is heated and popped to make the popcorn (maz = corn). Palomitas is a term common in Spain and Latin America, but not in Argentina where popcorn is known as "purur".

Cheers!I have just realized that for some reason, accented vowels do not show up in the text! It is not "maz" but "maiz", and "pururu".

Spassmusssein
09-20-15, 17:39
= pochoclo.

TejanoLibre
09-21-15, 22:19
Get a 2 Kilo sack of unshelled and unsalted Pignuts and you will be eating healthy , losing weight and saving chica cash .

Pure protein , heart healthy and a super food with a boner as a bonus .

$42.00 pesos ( $.50 cents a pound ) from a health food store.

Corn has zero health benefits.

Pignuts , addictive little fuckers.

Reminds me of my stay at the Homeland Defense Hotel in Texas .

5 months of nothing but peanut butter.

No bread and no jelly . Just a Spork.

Got ripped.

Just a suggestion Mr. BBM.

Avoid microwaved popcorn at least.

Poisonous !

TL.

El Greco
10-03-15, 20:29
"Maz pisingallo" may be Porteno for popcorn, but a company that prints its labels in proper Spanish will probably call it "maiz de palomitos" or just "palomitos". No matter which it is called, Gandolfo is correct when he says that the movie theater price is several time higher than the store.

Tres3.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_Time

Eat Maz pisingalo and watch Popcorn.

Simply download, install it and watch all the movies you want.

Thomaso276
07-11-17, 13:16
Just got my big delivery from butcher - https://www.facebook.com/ChalinCarnesPremium/ - price per kilo.

Bife chorizo 155.

Chicken breast 89.

Lomo 195.

Nalga 144.

Ojo de bife 159.

Full chicken 40.

Bondiola 114.

Pork chops 90.

Chicken leg 40.

My total $2814. About 28 kilos total, minimum for delivery is around $2600 . Way cheaper than supermarkets.

Bookie77
05-20-20, 21:02
Hi Guys,

I have to move in September permanent to Latin America and I have to choose between San Isidro and Sao Paulo. Money is not an issue. If you were me where would you move for the rest of your lives? TBH i am not a monger, i will go with pros at the beginning through redhead or escort websites but i hope in the long term to have a long term relationship without marriage and kids. The only thing that worries me in BsAs is how can i have US $ or Euros there? Can i have a bank account in Euros or Us $?

Wild Walleye
05-29-20, 16:09
Hi Guys,

I have to move in September permanent to Latin America and I have to choose between San Isidro and Sao Paulo. Money is not an issue. If you were me where would you move for the rest of your lives? TBH i am not a monger, i will go with pros at the beginning through redhead or escort websites but i hope in the long term to have a long term relationship without marriage and kids. The only thing that worries me in BsAs is how can i have US $ or Euros there? Can i have a bank account in Euros or Us $?San Isidro is nice and access to the city is quite easy. I like the European feel of Bs As and am biased towards the Bs As chicas (white, European-looking blonds and brunettes). I think Sau Paulo is too big and congested for my tastes. Getting around Bs As is much easier. Keep all of your money denominated in Euros or USD and keep your accounts offshore and out of he reach of the Argentine govt (same goes for Brazil). Only convert into pesos what you need. You can also use your credit and debit cards in most places.

Miami Bob
05-31-20, 16:28
Crime?

Services?

Life?

Admin2
06-02-20, 17:06
Crime?

Services?

Life?Crime? Gonna get terrible.

Services? Zero.

Life? Can't move further than 500 meters from your door.

Wild Walleye
07-29-20, 12:26
So, what's the latest on life in Bs As?

The currency has continued to decline. I am assuming that should have some benefit to the dollar. However, I am sure everyone is inflating everything. Of course, the chica websites are becoming more and more denominated in dollars. How is that translating to prices on the 'street'*?

Can you get out and about or is everyone still locked down with the Chinese Flu?

What does a coffee and demi luna cost at La Biela these days?

How about dinner at Parilla Pena?

What does an hour cost with a great looking chica?

What is happening with the pricing at the clubs?

* I use that term euphemistically, I am not really interested in street walkers.

Jackgats
05-01-21, 10:40
Crime? Gonna get terrible.

Services? Zero.

Life? Can't move further than 500 meters from your door.I'm just a lurker here for the moment, but this post is so pessimistic I couldn't resist asking whether it was meant tongue-in-cheek.

Admin2
05-13-21, 11:19
I'm just a lurker here for the moment, but this post is so pessimistic I couldn't resist asking whether it was meant tongue-in-cheek.I love Argentina, I loved it so much I became a citizen, now I live in Colombia.

I'm a citizen now so I can talk about the politics all I want. Peronism in generally has been the bane of Argentine and Fernandez is going to be judged by history OUTSIDE of Argentina as one of the worst Presidents it's ever had. The economy was fucked when he took over, Macri was a fool, then this idiot thought that the only logical response to a virus with a proven 99.74% recovery rate (don't bother arguing, I know it's a fact, you can find it by reading the CDC's web page) was to shut people in their homes for six months not allowing them to step foot outside except to go to the grocery store or pharmacy. It was great for all the state and patronage workers but now poverty is up 44% in a year, can you understand that figure? Poverty in Argentina has increased by 44% in one year?

I have a kid, he's old now, but when he was young if he was hungry and I had no food nothing stops me from sticking a gun in your face and taking your shit to feed him, nothing.

So yes, crime will be up, all the wonderful things BsAs was noted for, cafes great restaurants ect will be gone, 5 of the 40 cafe notables have closed in the last year.

Pussy and rent will be cheap but pussy and rent are cheap in Colombia as well.

It's been over a YEAR, the US is well on the way to herd immunity, people can get a PCR test in a day at CVS so somebody explain to me why tourists can't return?

He's a fucking idiot and it will take a decade at least for the economy to recover.

Gringo Verde
05-22-21, 18:19
If anyone living in Argentina comes across reliable information about when the country might reopen to tourists, could you please share it and post a link to your source? I'd like to plan my next visit as far in advance as possible.

Thanks. GV.

Wild Walleye
05-27-21, 22:28
I love Argentina, I loved it so much I became a citizen, now I live in Colombia.

I'm a citizen now so I can talk about the politics all I want. Peronism in generally has been the bane of Argentine and Fernandez is going to be judged by history OUTSIDE of Argentina as one of the worst Presidents it's ever had. The economy was fucked when he took over, Macri was a fool, then this idiot thought that the only logical response to a virus with a proven 99.74% recovery rate (don't bother arguing, I know it's a fact, you can find it by reading the CDC's web page) was to shut people in their homes for six months not allowing them to step foot outside except to go to the grocery store or pharmacy. It was great for all the state and patronage workers but now poverty is up 44% in a year, can you understand that figure? Poverty in Argentina has increased by 44% in one year?

I have a kid, he's old now, but when he was young if he was hungry and I had no food nothing stops me from sticking a gun in your face and taking your shit to feed him, nothing.

So yes, crime will be up, all the wonderful things BsAs was noted for, cafes great restaurants ect will be gone, 5 of the 40 cafe notables have closed in the last year.

Pussy and rent will be cheap but pussy and rent are cheap in Colombia as well.

It's been over a YEAR, the US is well on the way to herd immunity, people can get a PCR test in a day at CVS so somebody explain to me why tourists can't return?

He's a fucking idiot and it will take a decade at least for the economy to recover.When will Colombia open up to touristas? I'll gladly spend my gringo dollars at the mansion (or whatever the f*ck it is called) with the chickas who have been teasing me with texts for years.

Member #3320
08-19-21, 14:30
Life continues to be good in CABA.

Of course, tourists not allowed to come in ; which kind of makes its easy for us locals.

I believe key to success here is fluent Argentine Spanish, and ability to mix with locals and have local friends.. Then sky will be the limit.

Things can be pretty cheap..but going to prostitute houses is NOT the way.

Tejano Libre
08-21-21, 01:47
Life continues to be good in CABA.

Of course, tourists not allowed to come in ; which kind of makes its easy for us locals.

I believe key to success here is fluent Argentine Spanish, and ability to mix with locals and have local friends.. Then sky will be the limit.

Things can be pretty cheap..but going to prostitute houses is NOT the way.I definitely agree .

The key to having the best time possible is putting together a Little Black Book and to constantly update and recruit new additions that you can depend on to make sure that you have a great time all year round.

That's what I have been doing for about 16 years now and I never have a dull moment!

Stay Healthy.

TL.