PDA

View Full Version : Can you deposit checks from US accounts?

Member #3319
10-30-07, 06:24
I am sure this may seem like a naive question to some, but is there anyway to deposit checks from US accounts into any banks in Argentina?

I am trying to find a way that I could have access to the money from checks I receive while in BsAs. The money I receive always comes in the form of a check, so there is no good way to have the money deposited in the US first.

And if I were able to deposit in a US account first, is there anyway to wire the money to an Argentine bank without holding an account there? I understand there are fees, and conversion costs, but is this how people keep their money in the white when they decide to purchase homes, or make deposits on long term rentals?

(I would like to note, I have used the search function, and there is alot of good information, but there still seems to be some ambiguity on some of these issues.

Thanks,

Andres
10-30-07, 08:17
I am sure this may seem like a naive question to some, but is there anyway to deposit checks from US accounts into any banks in Argentina?

I am trying to find a way that I could have access to the money from checks I receive while in BsAs. The money I receive always comes in the form of a check, so there is no good way to have the money deposited in the US first.

And if I were able to deposit in a US account first, is there anyway to wire the money to an Argentine bank without holding an account there? I understand there are fees, and conversion costs, but is this how people keep their money in the white when they decide to purchase homes, or make deposits on long term rentals?

(I would like to note, I have used the search function, and there is alot of good information, but there still seems to be some ambiguity on some of these issues.

Thanks,

TryanI know at least 2 ways, but you may have to be introduced to get those services (none of these places is open to the public, only by invitation)

1) The former BankBoston had a Private Bank branch only open to those holding USD 100K or plus. They opened an account at a Miami branch and deposited the check for you. I don't know about bringing money (since Argentineans want to take it out, not to bring it in) but may be possible.

2) International banks have "secret bunkers" in the City (the financial district circled by Bartolomé Mitre St, Corrientes Ave, Paseo Colón Ave and Maipú St) where you can perform transactions hidden from the eyes of the Argentine authorities. Needless to say, hard to get in if you are not introduced.

3) If you have an account at a US bank, you can send your check to a processing center there (I did it myself and worked) Just send a certified letter through Correo Argentino (it always involves a risk) and take out your money through a cash card such as AAA Visa or your debit card.

4) Open an account at the Montevideo or Colonia branch of your bank in the US and perform transactions there once every 90 days.

As of purchasing homes, it's a 100% cash transaction in Argentina.

Hope this helps,

Andres

Aqualung
10-30-07, 10:03
I usually cash the American checks I receive at an exchange house (Forestcambio) but they must know you there.

If you use an exchange house with any regularity ask them.

Member #3319
10-30-07, 10:46
3) If you have an account at a US bank, you can send your check to a processing center there (I did it myself and worked) Just send a certified letter through Correo Argentino (it always involves a risk) and take out your money through a cash card such as AAA Visa or your debit card.

4) Open an account at the Montevideo or Colonia branch of your bank in the US and perform transactions there once every 90 days.Well, I can't say I have 100k to deposit, so even with an introduction, it seems that the Bank Boston route is closed for me.

Are the Uruguay banks linked with their American counterparts? If anyone has any particular recommendations, I. E. HSBC vs Citibank, I would love to hear your experiences.