PDA

View Full Version : Best Empanadas?

Charbuck
11-04-07, 23:40
I'm on a personal quest to find the best empanadas in the city. So far it seems that the fast-food type places are pretty much crap, but I've really liked the ones at El Sanjuanino at the corner of Callao & Posadas in Recoleta. Thoughts anyone?

Orang05
11-04-07, 23:59
I'm on a personal quest to find the best empanadas in the city. So far it seems that the fast-food type places are pretty much crap, but I've really liked the ones at El Sanjuanino at the corner of Callao & Posadas in Recoleta. Thoughts anyone?Try the empanadas (and tamales and humitas) at the Sunday fair / market at Matadeiro. They are all tasty, but the best -- anywhere, in my book - are at the middle stand to the right of the main stage. You cannot miss it - it's the one with the "priority number dispenser" and the huge line (Ha - "unruly crowd" is more like it) in front. Two empanadas, dos tamales e un beer = 9.50P. The shopping, music and dancing out there ain't too shabby, either.

Andres
11-05-07, 09:16
I'm on a personal quest to find the best empanadas in the city. So far it seems that the fast-food type places are pretty much crap, but I've really liked the ones at El Sanjuanino at the corner of Callao & Posadas in Recoleta. Thoughts anyone?You'll find many places all around the city with names such as "El Candil". "La Querencia", etc, decorated with Nortern Argentina artcrafts and posters. Usually, there are very good.

In Recoleta, you find one at the corner of Juneín and Juncal.

As of "best", its hard to say since there are many types of empanadas (tucumanas, salteñas, etc) and ways to prepare them.

La Americana at the corner of Callao and Peron (or Callao and Bartolomé Mitre) serves great empanadas of almost any kind, but the place isn't classy or trendy.

I heard of a place at Rivadavia and Mariano Acha, very very far from downtown that serves excellent empanadas tucumanas.

I would also follow the advice of Orang05.

Enjoy,

Andres

Hunt99
11-05-07, 12:28
The steakhouse chain "El Mirasol" has some excellent empanadas. I always have one before I order my ojo de bife. In fact, one could go to Mirasol and just dine on their excellent appetizers - salad, empanada, provoleta, and chorizo.

El Queso
11-06-07, 16:38
I don't like the empanadas at El Quartito or La Americana (not much flavor in my opinion) but the pizza is great at both places.

Also try Pizza Bum - the carne picante empanadas are not real spicy (as almost nothing here is) but have some good flavor and they also deliver. There's one in Recoletta on Las Heras near Puerrydon (one or two blocks away, going toward Callo on Las Heras) but I don't remember exactly which street. One building off the corner of whatever street it's on (I don't spend too much time in Recoletta any more)

El Queso
11-06-07, 20:12
I was out and about today and got over-heated (very warm day! When I decided to stop at a little corner cerverceria to cool off. I ordered a ham and cheese empanada and a beef empanada to go with my beer as I sat and watched all of the beautiful women passing by.

This place is right on the corner of Santa Fe and Uriburu. It has some nice tables outside, and the walkway is cutoff from traffic with thick plantings of Ficus tress and some other kind of ornamental trees, so there is some barrier between the street and the table as far as noise goes. Very comfortable and shady.

The ham and cheese empanadas were pretty good - they didn't use that white cheese that everyone uses here for most stuff - it was yellowish, perhaps gouda? They were baked and tasted good.

The carne empanadas were very good. Pieces of steak, not hamburger meat, with a flavorful sauce - very juicy. The beef empanadas were fried. They had a very good flavor, though not spicy.

I enjoyed my time there.

TejanoLibre
11-07-07, 23:16
Lálliance at Cordoba 945 has excellent hand made empanadas. (using lomo that is hand cut.

However, we can put whatever you'd like in the damn things!

I made some mushroom cream sauce empanadas and some beef stroganoff empanadas the other day. Awesome little fuckers!

Good Luck,

Ramiro

Dominicfla
11-08-07, 00:51
Interspersed around town, with a red and yellow motif, I have sampled 2 locations of this outfit and the empanadas are particularly good.

Charbuck
11-08-07, 17:05
My base of reference were some outstanding empanadas I had at the La Bamba estancia a bit ago. I think I scarfed down a dozen of those each day. Anyway, here's the list so far.

Querencia (Junin & Juncal): 4 out of 5 - The pastry was tasty and complex without being too dry. The filling was quite good. I asked for "muy muy picante" on the carne and it actually almost warmed my mouth.

Costumbres Criollas (Esmerelda & Libertador) 3.5 out of 5 - Fillings were just as tasty as La Querencia, but the pastry was a bit more bland and a little too bready. The dough should be flaky, light and not get in the way of the filling.

Cumaná (Rodriguez Peña near Santa Fe) 3 out of 5 - pretty good, though clearly inferior in both filling and pastry to the ones above.

El Cuartito (Talcahuano near Paraguay) 2.5 out of 5 - go there for the pizza. The empanadas are palatable, but why waste room when the pizza is so good.

Vitrea
12-14-07, 21:57
I tried at several locations. Most of them are not worth writing about, except the London City Cafe on Florida. This place is next door to Aerolinas Argentina on the corner of Peru 2. Using the rating below, I would rate them 4.5 out of 5. The bread is flakey, the meat is fresh, moist and not greasy. Lost.5 points because it was not spicy enough for my taste.

Argento
12-14-07, 22:16
would rate them 4.5 out of 5. The bread is flakey, the meat is fresh, moist and not greasy. Lost.5 points because it was not spicy enough for my taste.Hard to get a bad empanada. Those that want spice and chile need to buy at the few outlets that specialize in the cuisine of the Northern provinces such as Salta and Jujuy. Ask for 'picante'. Other issues are oven-baked or deep-fried, which changes the whole experience. The tapas manufacturers have a different style of pastry (masa) for each. And the taste is different.

My local corner store in Colegiales, PETACA'S, Zapiola 1305, is fantastic and he makes a mildly spicy and certainly not hot, 'Arabie' on Saturdays. Very highly recomended. Pizza is the best I have ever eaten.

Phu Bai
12-14-07, 23:32
However, we can put whatever you'd like in the damn things!

Walnuts, blue cheese, Cognac infused pear.

Pancetta with foie gras , or eggplant with goat cheese and walnuts with sun dried tomato.

Power Rangers
01-24-08, 12:32
Finally had my very first try at the famous Argentine empanadas. Boy was I surprised at the variety of fillings presented to me. I was so overwhelmed that it took me five minutes to decide what I wanted, and to think that this is just meat pies. Well, decided on the ham & cheese, beef and corn. Who would have known that they can make empanadas out of corn. Only in Argentina.

Overall, it was an authentic Argie experience, it also helped that as we ate hundreds of beautiful girls were passing in front of us.

BadMan
01-24-08, 13:45
I'll go ahead and add the link. They Deliver.

http://www.empanadasgourmet.com.ar/

I have actually heard a few good recommendations and plan to finally try them soon.

Thanks,

BM.

Finally had my very first try at the famous Argentine empanadas. Boy was I surprised at the variety of fillings presented to me. I was so overwhelmed that it took me five minutes to decide what I wanted, and to think that this is just meat pies. Well, decided on the ham & cheese, beef and corn. Who would have known that they can make empanadas out of corn. Only in Argentina.

Overall, it was an authentic Argie experience, it also helped that as we ate hundreds of beautiful girls were passing in front of us.

BadMan
01-24-08, 13:52
Are the deep fried beef empanadas @

El Mirasol de la Recova.

Posadas 1032 - Ciudad de Buenos Aires.

Tel: 4326-7322/23

Recoleta.

BTW, they deliver in Recoleta.

There is also a branch in Puerto Madero (I've never eaten there ) .

ComeOnDown
03-09-08, 00:57
Permit me to add to the long list of BA's best empanadas. I finally found what may be the best meat empanada in town. In this restaurant it is called Tucumana, it is the cuchillo type of filling (shredded meat) The filling is on the creamy side so be careful because you might spill some of the juice on your shirt. It is a bit on the small size so you may have to eat at least three to fill yourself up. The calabreza empanada is not bad too, unlike the others this one is round and big. Which complements our waitress' tits, both in shape and size.

It is located in Mendoza st. No 2320 in the Belgrano neighborhood. This is a block away from that famous privado located in the same street so you may want to eat here after that exhausting session.

Aqualung
03-10-08, 02:47
it is the cuchillo type of filling (shredded meat) The filling is on the creamy side so be careful because you might spill some of the juice on your shirt. That is what is called here "empanadas de piernas abiertas" open legged empanadas meaning that when you eat them you have to sit hunched over with your legs open so they don't drip on your pants!;)

ComeOnDown
03-10-08, 22:28
That is what is called here "empanadas de piernas abiertas" open legged empanadas meaning that when you eat them you have to sit hunched over with your legs open so they don't drip on your pants!;)I've always fantasized seeing my mini skirt wearing portena secretary with legs wide open. Yabadabadoo, I think I finally found a ploy to fulfill my fantasy, I'll bring her along next time I eat one of those creamy empanadas. I just hope she lives up to her being portena and eats the Argentine way with legs wide open.

Aqualung
03-10-08, 22:36
I've always fantasized seeing my mini skirt wearing portena secretary with legs wide open. Yabadabadoo, I think I finally found a ploy to fulfill my fantasy, I'll bring her along next time I eat one of those creamy empanadas. I just hope she lives up to her being portena and eats the Argentine way with legs wide open.And her skirt hitched way up!;)