PDA

View Full Version : Renewing your USA Passport

Jackson
01-01-07, 01:00
Thread Starter.

Mpexy
11-05-07, 13:55
Anyone have a location of a photo lab or camera store where they can take and print on the spot passport photos?

Preferably not that far from Recoleta.

Renewing my passport via the embassy and it seems like a lot more convenient to go through the 10day process here then the 6+ month wait some folks are going through with the massive delays back in the states.

Rock Harders
11-05-07, 18:25
Mongers-

There is a camera shop on Uruguay between Santa Fe and Marcelo T that can take instant passport photos for 12 pesos for 4 photos. It is located on the right side of the street if you are coming from Santa Fe.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

=================================================

Greetings everyone,

The street address for the photo store that Dirk is referring to is...

Uruguay 1036

4815-8455

Thanks,

Jackson

Jaimito Cartero
11-06-07, 00:23
Renewing my passport via the embassy and it seems like a lot more convenient to go through the 10day process here then the 6+ month wait some folks are going through with the massive delays back in the states.There is no longer a 6 month wait in the US. Most times are back in the 3-6 week range. I got some passport photos for a Brazilian visa in Ecuador. Most camera shops have them there, you just need to tell them the size, and you'll have them in 5 minutes or so. I'm sure you can find similar places in BA.

Mpexy
11-07-07, 20:12
Thanks for the tips on pm and forum, I used the camera shop Dirk posted near Santa Fe and Uruguay. Only needed 2 photos for passport renewal so was 10p and about a 30min wait to pick them up after getting the pic taken.

Just for the heck of it I decided to go pick up a passport renewal form in person rather than download and print the one you can get online because I've never been to the US Embassy here.

Not odd but felt a little wrong, I'm used to seeing US Embassy locations guarded by the US Marines. Here, it was a private security firm. Guess it makes sense to use the locals outside and I'm sure there's still a marine detachment inside, but I always liked seeing the marine blues and color guards whenever visiting an embassy abroad. Felt odd not to see it here.

This afternoon there was only a small line, about 5-6 ppl to screen you at the outside window booth before letting you in. A few minutes wait then I was buzzed in on presenting my US Passport and intention of why I was there, for a renewal form.

Note for others - when they buzz you in and you get past the metal detectors (they take all your electonics and keep them until you pass back out to claim with a ticket they provide) they tell you to go out, on the walkway to the next building, enter and take a number. But really, that's a waste of time if you're a US citizen. I sat there for a few minutes before realizing everyone taking a number for windows 1-14 were for all non-US citizen matters. And for that matter, each window has a separate take a number ticket thing.

If you're there only for american citizen services from their ACS unit run out of only window #15 (the last window #16 is only for social security) you just take a number from that window or just stand right in front so the clerk can see you obviously waiting. Every other window had a line of ppl waiting or sitting on the chairs for their turn but the ACS window was just empty till I stood there long enough for the clerk who was somewhere else to realize there was actually a US citizen needing services and came over from somewhere else to staff that window. It's only my first time but somehow I got the sense demands on the ACS unit here is pretty low, so I'm betting there's never a line. Reinforced that when I saw the appointment book where my name was on for this Friday to process my passport renewal, there seemed to be huge gaps of free time all ovre the place for the week.

Anyway, got my form and going in Friday to get my passport renewed. I'm told its a $97 US processing fee, and that I'll get it mailed to my local BA address within 10 days by the local DHL courier which has a small office right there in the embassy.

The only thing I'm curious about is how they will handle my stamps. I entered Argentina after my Uruguay trip so I have an entered Argentine stamp valid for 90days stay, but when I get my new passport it will be blank. I'm assuming they will either get the Argentines to re-stamp it, or give me back my old passport as well. I can't quite remember what happened to my old passport when I last renewed 8 years ago.

Alan23
11-07-07, 20:47
The only thing I'm curious about is how they will handle my stamps. I entered Argentina after my Uruguay trip so I have an entered Argentine stamp valid for 90days stay, but when I get my new passport it will be blank. I'm assuming they will either get the Argentines to re-stamp it, or give me back my old passport as well. I can't quite remember what happened to my old passport when I last renewed 8 years ago.Mpexy,

They will return your old passport upon application - but with two holes stamped through the entire passport including the machine readable data in page one, and marked "Canceled". It is your responsibility to deal with Argentine immigrations on the way out (of course nothing more than showing them your old entry stamp, if they ask)

May I ask why you are giving up 2 years of your passport validity by renewing 2 years early?

The ACS unit here at the BsAs consulate is exceptionally good and efficient. I have been very impressed with their level of customer service.

Regards,

Alan

Moore
11-08-07, 02:09
Certain visas in your expired passport may be valid, such as a 5 year Brasil visa, which is good for that term regardless of when the passport it's in expires. In that case you still must carry your canceled passport to enter Brasil.

Mpexy
11-09-07, 11:53
Some countries require a certain number of blank pages in your passport before allowing entry, although my sense is that even those that have this rule hardly ever enforce it, but better safe than sorry.

As I've been traveling quite a bit I was down to my last 2 pages and I would have had to go in to either get more pages put in, or renew, so since I was just under 2 years left and I'm planning on being abroad or on the go for at least the next couple years, I figured I might as well get my renewal done now.

Went in today to renew and pretty easy process - handed in my old passport with application, turned out fee was $67 US which I paid in pesos, and after a wait of about 30min I was called back to the window and told my passport renewal was approved, and given the option of either DHL to my local address here or just come by the embassy again in 10 days to pick it up. I chose the pickup option just to be safe.

And yes, I did get my old passport back with cancelled stamp and holes punched through the data sheet front cover.

Daddy Rulz
11-09-07, 12:20
Not odd but felt a little wrong, I'm used to seeing US Embassy locations guarded by the US Marines. Here, it was a private security firm. Guess it makes sense to use the locals outside and I'm sure there's still a marine detachment inside, but I always liked seeing the marine blues and color guards whenever visiting an embassy abroad. Felt odd not to see it here.Next time you go climb the fence instead of using the metal detector, I reckon you might see the Marines most riki tik. Maybe wrap a towel around your head and wear a backpack, screaming Allah Akbar at the top of your lungs. You could be the first Asian American Islamic Jihadist. You could found a new movement for world wide liberation, the AAIJ. Just let us know so we can snap some pics for the photo gallery. This could be more fun than a cat fight at Exedra. You would for sure be in the news and make your folks proud.

Sorry for the digression from an otherwise informative thread, I just couldn't escape the image and wanted to share it.

Jaimito Cartero
11-09-07, 14:46
You can easily add pages for free, it usually takes 30-60 minutes. My rule of thumb is if you have a year or less, get a new one, otherwise just add pages. You can request a 48 page passport, but the new style passports don't always seem to allow this option right now.

Sportsman
11-26-07, 20:49
Today I went to the US Embassy near Plaza Italia to add extra visa pages to my current passport for the second time. I got the initial info from the Embassy in BsAs website on office hours, location, and filled and printed out the online application form.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/passports.html

I called last Wednesday to confirm the office hours and no appointment was needed. When I arrived at 8:30 this morning, there was a line of 30 or so non-US citizens waiting to get inside. There was no line for US citizen. Then I followed the sign for passport service. I walked into a room where about 70 more or so non-US citizens were waiting for visa applications. The line for US citizen passport service and social security had 2 people in front of me. When they called my number, the staff reviewed my application and passport, told me this would be the last time I am allowed to add more pages to this passport since it was the second time. After I went to the cashier window to get a no-fee ticket, I sat down and waited for my passport. It was ready in about 30 minutes later. The whole process from the time I arrived to the Embassy until I walked out of the Embassy front door was exactly 60 minutes. It was a painless process, the staff was helpful in directing me where to go in each step. BTW, I asked about time required to re-new a passport. I was told about 10 days since it would have come from the states.

Sportsman
11-26-07, 20:57
You can request a 48 page passport, but the new style passports don't always seem to allow this option right now.That is correct according to note to here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/add/add_850.html

Jaimito Cartero
11-27-07, 02:24
When they called my number, the staff reviewed my application and passport, told me this would be the last time I am allowed to add more pages to this passport since it was the second time. I would take the "Can't add more pages again" with a grain of salt. I know people who have passports with way over 100 pages. For people who are traveling all the time, a 72 page passport might not even last a year. My passport is two years old (48 page) and it's already 2/3 full. No RFID for me, yet.:)

Mpexy
12-01-07, 07:11
Today I went to the US Embassy near Plaza Italia to add extra visa pages to my current passport for the second time. I got the initial info from the Embassy in BsAs website on office hours, location, and filled and printed out the online application form.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/passports.html

I called last Wednesday to confirm the office hours and no appointment was needed. When I arrived at 8:30 this morning, there was a line of 30 or so non-US citizens waiting to get inside. There was no line for US citizen. Then I followed the sign for passport service. I walked into a room where about 70 more or so non-US citizens were waiting for visa applications. The line for US citizen passport service and social security had 2 people in front of me. When they called my number, the staff reviewed my application and passport, told me this would be the last time I am allowed to add more pages to this passport since it was the second time. After I went to the cashier window to get a no-fee ticket, I sat down and waited for my passport. It was ready in about 30 minutes later. The whole process from the time I arrived to the Embassy until I walked out of the Embassy front door was exactly 60 minutes. It was a painless process, the staff was helpful in directing me where to go in each step. BTW, I asked about time required to re-new a passport. I was told about 10 days since it would have come from the states.Passports issued at / from US embassies or consultates abroad are prepared right there - it doesnt come from the states. There might be some coutries where the US doesnt maintain a full embassy / consulate, but for most countries we'd be in your passport is issued locally.

I carried a passport for about 10 years that was same day issued and listed as being issued from Frankfurt, Germany - back in the day when they showed issuing location and not the general State Department tag they just put on now.

Sportsman
07-19-10, 23:11
Effective since 13 July, US passport application and renewal fee has increased to $110 (I believe it used to be $65). What really bothers me is to add visa pages to existing passport, it went from free to $82.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

Wild Walleye
07-20-10, 12:55
I am not sure but you might get a different response from a passport office in the US rather than the embassy. Of course, the first thing I would do (if you need more pages) is go right back to the embassy and see if you can slide through with your existing passport. One CSR's brushoff may not speak for all.

As for the RFID, if your concern is someone spoofing your data, I don't think that is still a major problem so long as you maintain possession of your passport. However, if you are concerned that someone could spoof it while it is in your pocket, buy a faraday shield bag or use the one that a piece of hardware came in. When you are not using your passport to go through immigration, or for some other purpose, keep it in the bag.