PDA

View Full Version : Shi Yuan

Hound
12-16-07, 13:58
Tagle 2531- enter at at the 2700 block of Las Heras. It's either in Recoleta or just on the cusp. Lunch and 8-midnight.

4804 0607

When I arrived last night I was the only non-Chinese in the place, usually a good sign. Menu has 13 appet. And 6 soups. I had the won ton (5) for $6p.

Entree items number close to 70 choices. I pigged out and chose two--the first was a mariscos fried rice which can be described as light, airy and fluffy containing shrimp, scallops mussels $18p. The second was the calamares al picante which was the spiciest dish I've had in BA but far from 'hot' at $20p. The sauce was accompanied with slices of red and greed peppers. Currys are offered including an ap of curry empanadas. Peking duck was presented at two different tables and the chef carved it up tableside, priced at $68P--this may require a day ahead notice?

Large Quilmes at 6 p. No cubierto. Soy sauce not on any of the tables.

Location is hard to beat for all those fans of the Recoleta neighborhood. No need to hike out to Belgrano for this kind of fare.

BundaLover
12-16-07, 16:06
Whenever I see curries offerred in a chinese place I know they are low end. Its like Italian places with hamburgers and fries.

Phu Bai
12-16-07, 18:40
Ask for Salsa Chino (soy sauce).

Miami Bob
12-17-07, 02:22
At least in my humble opinion. Far above anything I've experienced in Belgrano's China town. I've eaten here 3 times and each time it was very good. I'm a pain in the you know where because I'm on a sugar-free diet. These folks bent over backwards to meet my needs--they re-made the pre-made sauses without sugar for me. The duck is as good as I've eaten anywhere.

DickGrande
06-03-10, 05:13
At least in my humble opinion. Far above anything I've experienced in Belgrano's China town. I've eaten here 3 times and each time it was very good. I'm a pain in the you know where because I'm on a sugar-free diet. These folks bent over backwards to meet my needs--they re-made the pre-made sauses without sugar for me. The duck is as good as I've eaten anywhere.Yes, this is the best Chinese restaurant in town. The duck is pretty good, almost as good as the ones you get in LA, I mean, close. The service is so so. If you know what to order, they do have a few good dishes on the menu.

I am a Chinese food expert from California. You have to call one day earlier for the Peking duck. Local Argentinians who really know Chinese food (the ones have to visit China for business) like to go there.

By the way, do not order curry. Start with a few cold dishes, like cold Tofu & green onions, cold beef, and cold veggies (only here in Argentina) then Peking duck with a cheap bottle of wine (very small selection of wines) or beer.

Have fun!