PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry 8830 in BA?

Hobbying
03-25-08, 19:53
I'm thinking of getting one from Verizon but couldn't tell me if text msg and web surfing would work there. Anyone have experice with it?

HairBalderman
03-25-08, 21:20
Hobbying,

Verizon has an international leasing option with BB8830 you may want to consider. This may be your only option if you intend on staying in Argentina long term as it seems Verizon doesn't have any agreements with the Argentine carriers at this point. It's kind of expensive though. Check it out here: http://b2b.vzw.com/international/outside_us.html

Sinistra
03-26-08, 07:06
I have a Blackberry 8830 from T-Mobile (US) that I use all over the world. In fact, I'm Italian and I got mine in the US because the plan is so much cheaper than European ones. For just $20 I get the "unlimited international email" option and it works perfectly down here on both the Movistar and Personal networks. I don't know about Verizon, but I'd be willing to bet anything it's a lot more expensive and doesn't work with as many international networks because T-Mobile is Deutsche Telecom.

East439
03-26-08, 23:03
The Verizon 8830 does NOT work in Argentina. No email, no calls, no sms.

I learned that the hard way.

Hobbying
03-27-08, 03:03
I don't see the 8830 on tmobile's site. Is that the one you got? And can you web browse in ba?

Sinistra
03-27-08, 09:04
I don't see the 8830 on tmobile's site. Is that the one you got? And can you web browse in ba?I suppose I got all those numbers mixed up. Mine is an 8820, not an 8830, but the specs look pretty identical. T-Mobile also has the Curve. I CANNOT web browse in BsAs, but that's not important to me. Amazon. Com is selling the Curve for $99 if you buy a plan. Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/2o7mnh

From Amazon's website you CANNOT select the unlimited international email option. After you get the phone, it's easy to add via the T-Mobile website or call T-Mobile and say "I'd like to add the Unlimited International Email option for my Blackberry." It's an extra $19.99 fee.

Since I am in the United States rarely, I just got the cheapest voice plan available and then added the unlimited international email option from the T-Mobile site after I got the handset. I'm not sure what my bill comes to a month, but it's not more than $60. It's really an amazing deal.

Hobbying
03-27-08, 11:02
Thanks for the info everyone. I wanted to go with Verizon because thats who I have now and just renewed my contract 2 months ago. Their blackberry seemed to be a option because they told me I could switch from my current phone to the blackberry when I travel abroad and then back to my windows based phone which I prefer for compability and browser with flash and java support when I return to the US. I found out the hard way that verizon deletes any text message not received after 1 day and when I returned to the US bunch ppl asked me if I got their text.

Artisttyp
03-27-08, 13:01
I suppose I got all those numbers mixed up. Mine is an 8820, not an 8830, but the specs look pretty identical.If you have an 8820 you should be able to use the wifi to web browse. I've been told AT & T has service in BA through claro. Can someone verify this?

By the way I pay $65 a month for an unlimited international data plan (135 countries) which includes web surfing. I've been very happy with it.

Zappaman
03-27-08, 19:19
If you have an 8820 you should be able to use the wifi to web browse. I've been told AT & T has service in BA through claro. Can someone verify this?

By the way I pay $65 a month for an unlimited international data plan (135 countries) which includes web surfing. I've been very happy with it.For whatever it's worth - I have used my AT & T BlackBerry in BA, without problems.

Zappaman

Yoosin
07-04-08, 01:37
Anybody used an 8830 from Sprint in BA?

Possible to buy and replace SIM?

Yoosin

Dodger Bulldog
07-04-08, 03:04
I'm not familiar with the your phone, but if it is an unlocked quadband it should work fine.

I bought a sim card here for my Motorola Krzr for 50 pesos. No problems.

DB

Facundo
07-05-08, 08:22
By the way I pay $65 a month for an unlimited international data plan (135 countries) which includes web surfing. I've been very happy with it.Would appreciate it if you could please post information about the "unlimited international data plan". Name of the company and what does the plan include? Muchas gracias.