PDA

View Full Version : Protesters

Exon123
03-26-08, 18:07
I'm frankly amazed that none of you guys have mention anything about last nights demonstrations or the reasons why.

The whole city was out banging pots & pans together, one very impressive show of force. These people are not happy down here and theres going to be bloodshed.

Exon

MCSE
03-26-08, 18:28
I'm frankly amazed that none of you CockSuckers have mention anything about last nights demonstrations or the reasons why.

The whole city was out banging pots & pans together, one very impressive show of force. These people are not happy down here and theres going to be bloodshed.

ExonI was fucking in an hotel last night and I was scared thinking that her boyfriend discovered us and hired a lot of mob to punish our love. Switching to the news while making love it's definetly a turn-off. So she turned it off, I never found the reason why people were protesting but I had a juicy blow job, because I kept concerned about the protest and she was trying to answer the reasons while sucking. So if protest equals juicy blow job, Viva la revolucion!

Hobby Fan
03-26-08, 19:27
Apparently the protest is in favor of farmers who oppose government (usually blaming the Kirchners) interference in the food commodities markets. There is a delivery slowdown or stoppage going on, and the capital has been low on beef as a result.

The farmers object to government control of pricing and / or limits on and taxation of exports. The government threatens to stop meat exports to keep prices down for domestic consumption. That is prior Kirchner move and part of the effort to keep the 'basic food basket' inflation rate down. They know it is bad economics but defend it at times as necessary; Argentines cannot and will not suffer austerity indefinitely.

The government reported inflation of 1.4% for the first two months of 2008 (under 10% per year) and everyone I have talked to thinks it is much higher.

The latest round of protests started with a large export tax imposed on soy and sunflower oil. Prices are way up and the government wants part of the "windfall."

At least one Argentine I talked to told me that a lot of the protest is generated by wealthy agri-business types who have brand new $ 50,000 cars, adding that a lot of the difference between the limited amounts that they receive for beef and what it sells for in the supermarket ends up in government hands. He added that there is a general anti-inflation sentiment in the protest, even though it is a ultimately a protest against inflation control policy. Kind of a "its all messed up" theory.

Anyone have stronger information? This is chit-chat from the street and web-blogs.

Sinistra
03-26-08, 19:36
Find a sector of the economy that's working just fine (in this case Agriculture) then find a way to kill it. I think most of the people are supporting the strike as more of a general "we're sick of this" than really understanding the implications for the economy as a whole. If the economy were deregulated, prices would skyrocket. In the short run it would hurt a lot of people, but in the long run it would benefit the whole economy. But still, I think it may get ugly and there may be minor bloodshed before it's done. In the meantime, does Ramiro still have meat?

Tessan
03-26-08, 20:01
If this keeps up, the will be little meat left even in the restaurant. I was in the supermarket today, only thing they had was sausage and chicken. So I brought a lot of chicken, and froze it. Also brought rice and stuff that can keep a while.

Facundo
03-26-08, 20:31
If this keeps up, the will be little meat left even in the restaurant. I was in the supermarket today, only thing they had was sausage and chicken. So I brought a lot of chicken, and froze it. Also brought rice and stuff that can keep a while.Tessan, the restaurants have their own suppliers of meat and some of them actually have cattle. However, in talking with a few of the owners of popular restaurants they related to me they can last about one more month before their supply runs out. Also, they raised the menu prices about 6 % these past few days.

The other day I was in Mataderos, this is the area where they bring cows in to be slaughtered-----It was spooky, not a truck full of cows to be seen, not even a mooooo sound.

The comedores (soup kitchens) I know near or in the villas have not received any food or support from the government. They are turning kids away who need food.

El Aleman
03-26-08, 21:06
I would highly recommend Mrs. Fernandez to work in the administration of a farm for some time. And maybe do some get-your-hands-dirty work in between.

Costs of operatng a farm are in Pesos, "Argentine costs"?

- Agrochemicals are paid in Dollars, they are related to petroleum prices.

- Massey Fergusson or John Deere equipment is paid in Dollars.

- Netafim irrigation stuff coming from Israel is paid in Dollars.

- Energy costs are paid in Dollars.

- the list is expandable.

Ok, salaries are paid in Pesos. They make up for 25 to 33% of a farm's operating costs, depending on the crop produced. The rest is directly or indirectly linked to the world market, payable in foreign currency.

Argentina is the only country I know that imposes export taxes, basically killing the only sector of their economy that brings foreign currency into the country. As long as this tax is a few % , it is bearable - this is compensated by the cost benefit due to cheaper labour, compared with producers in other parts of the world, especially the U. S.

An export tax of 45% onto soybeans or soybean oil just kicks the Argentine producer out of the market. People in Iowa or Illinois certainly love Mrs. Fernandez for taking care of their competition in such a beautiful way.

Now, what are the implications for the world market of, say, soybeans? Taking away a substantial part of the world's supply in a situation that is already characterized by an overdemand (be it real or speculative) with associated high prices, will only drive prices up even more - maybe to a level where the Argies again become competitive. The real windfall goes to producers elsewhere, and even more speculators. The bill is finally paid by consumers all over the world. Including Argentina, because producers won't sell their product cheaper locally than abroad. The competition is not the other Argie Soybean farmer, but the guy from Des Moines.

Farmers, by the way, nead a windfall from time to time. They also occasionally get a hailfall, or similar bad luck. Farming business has to be profitable on a multi year average. And I did not hear anything from the Argentine government to compensate me for the 2/3 of my crop that have been killed during the frost of last July (the day when it snowed in Buenos Aires, the first time since 88 years)

2 centavos from.

El Alemán

El Perro
03-27-08, 10:28
Looks to me like CFK has got herself in a bit of a corner with this mess. She's going to have to make a move one way or the other soon, elsewise face the populace getting more up in arms due to increasing lack of foodstuffs. The common folk may not have much in common with some of the big time agri boys, but they won't put up with lack of food and inevitable major price increases. So CFK either must take this head on with force (not likely) or negoitiate a settlement re the export tax. She clearly made a mistake with her demeaning speech the other day and I think miscalculated what support she might receive. No matter how it ends up she is going to be left with either alot, or a little, egg on her face. Many folks are also weary of seeing the government call out their hired thugs (D'Elia) to intimidate the protesters. D'Elia is a piece of slime and certainly has no rightful place in anybody's government, much less one who ostensibly is about righting grave wrongs, both in the distant past and present.

My too hard to find centavos.

MCSE
03-27-08, 20:35
The thing it's: If you make money, you'll be prosecuted and squeezed. (and if you don't, you'll be ignored) This kind of attitude happens in almost every country.

However: yesterday, and today, people still protesting in the streets and at their own homes in some neighborhoods in the city. I've took advantage and I'm protesting too! Two sticks and an empty paint case (sounds very hard) and no one can complain. Revolution!

Tessan
03-28-08, 01:53
I am hearing on TV that the farm strike might be over, since there going to be talk, but on the net, it says talk rejected. Guess I get more info in the morning.

Jaimito Cartero
03-28-08, 04:54
My nearest supermarket is out of most luncheon type meat, and all beef, except for some expensive cuts. The shelves were full last weekend.

I went to a local place yesterday, and got a take out menu. The prices were cheaper for delivery, so I called to order a 14 peso Bife de Chorizo tonight, and was told it was 20 pesos now. Sheeeeeit, don't hand out price lists, then.:)

Rioman
03-28-08, 15:50
I grew up on a farm too and guess I would pay twice as much for food here if knew it was going to farmer. By the way the restaurants I been going to have had no change in prices and quantity / service / selection is as good as ever. The implied price of soybeans here yday (before futures in US tanked today) would have been not even $8/ bus. If I was a farmer I would be some pissed off and since you can leave the crop out here without worrying abt losing quality and just delaying next planting I hope they stick to their guns. Do think though that if you believe that this thing ends soon the o / c-n / c sb spread looking like a very good sale.

Monger514
03-28-08, 16:52
Fuck, it's spelled "Protesters", not "Protestors". Who started this thread? Oh, of course, it was Exon.

Tessan
03-28-08, 16:55
Local Spanish TV channel just said the farmers strike will be suspended for 48 hours starting tonight, to give talks a chance. Starting around 17 hr.

ComeOnDown
03-29-08, 02:15
I hope this ends soon as my Argie friends are getting grumpy. This just shows how essential beef is to their daily food intake. Its weird to see sodas and juices in the shelves reserved for meat products.

Jaimito Cartero
03-29-08, 03:28
I have yet to go to a restaurant that didn't have some cut of beef in stock. One was out of Bife de Chorizo a couple of days ago, but had Lomo. I'm sure we'll see some big increases in prices soon if this crap doesn't shut down.

Tessan
04-02-08, 17:58
GUALEGUAYCHU, Argentina: Argentine farmers on Wednesday suspended a 21-day national strike over export taxes that had stripped store shelves of produce and meat.

T farmers warned they would renew the strike in a month if the government does not make serious concessions on the increase in soybean taxes from 35 percent to as much as 45 percent, and on new duties for other farm exports.

From.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/02/america/LA-GEN-Argentina-Farmbelt-Rebellion.php

Monger514
04-03-08, 14:09
She could eliminate all the taxes on farmers. That would create an economic boom in that sector. Then she could eliminate all the other taxes, as well, and that would create an economic boom in all sectors of the economy. To pay for all "public" services (i. e. services that the government maintains a forced monopoly on) she could privatize them. Argentina could become a model of Hong-Kong style capitalism (though even better) The phrase "rich as an Argentine" could return to popular usage.

Of course, then she wouldn't have a job, and the proud Argentine people would have to let go, once and for all, of the idea of conquering the sheep herders on the Falkland Islands (whoops - I mean, Malivinas).

Well, she could of course get a job in the newly thriving Argentine economy, just not one that pays as much or puts her face on the front page of the paper every day. But that Falklands thing would still be dead.

Aqualung
04-16-08, 21:32
'Will the K's crack or worse?''I'm afraid it will be the second option!

The cops in Corrientes are on strike! They K's can't afford to give in. If they do protests and strikes will run like wildfire. They will turn to any method possible to crush the protests (legal or not)

Tessan
04-18-08, 02:44
http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=382992&postcount=10

Caveman01
04-19-08, 07:11
She could eliminate all the taxes on farmers. That would create an economic boom in that sector. Then she could eliminate all the other taxes, as well, and that would create an economic boom in all sectors of the economy. To pay for all "public" services (I. E. Services that the government maintains a forced monopoly on) she could privatize them. Argentina could become a model of Hong-Kong style capitalism (though even better) The phrase "rich as an Argentine" could return to popular usage.

Of course, then she wouldn't have a job, and the proud Argentine people would have to let go, once and for all, of the idea of conquering the sheep herders on the Falkland Islands (whoops - I mean, Malivinas)

Well, she could of course get a job in the newly thriving Argentine economy, just not one that pays as much or puts her face on the front page of the paper every day. But that Falklands thing would still be dead.Never in my life heard so funny interpretation of Argentine situation.

Seems like an Adam Smith essay adapted for Dysneyland.

What on earth makes you think, Monger, that "eliminating all the taxes will create an economic boom", when in almost 200 years of Argentine history every profit farmers ever had was for investing in foreign banks, as quickly as they could?

What makes you think that we, argentines, want to be (God don't permit us) like Hong-Kong? Perhaps some other countries, I mean big countries who want cheap labour exchange. But sure not we, argentines.

And last, but not least, why we "the proud argentine people" should let go "once and for all" the idea of conquering the sheep herds (do you mean the kelpers?) of the Malvinas (whoops- I mean Falklands)?

Read a little more about our country, Monger, or keep on writing about night clubs and gatos and not mess with our problems unless you're a little more informed about.

Monger514
04-19-08, 13:32
If you find the last 200 years of Argentine history to be pleasant, suit yourself. I guess you're not one of the naive young men who went down on the Belgrano, trying to extend Argentine sovereignty over a some remote Atlantic islands (oh, how the Argentine people would be so much better off today if they had been successful - perhaps the air in BA would be breathable?), or else you would not be here today to put me in my place. Please. Maybe I am the one who should ask you to crawl back into your cave.

El Perro
04-19-08, 14:29
If you find the last 200 years of Argentine history to be pleasant, suit yourself. I guess you're not one of the naive young men who went down on the Belgrano, trying to extend Argentine sovereignty over a some remote Atlantic islands (oh, how the Argentine people would be so much better off today if they had been successful - perhaps the air in BA would be breathable? Or else you would not be here today to put me in my place. Please. Maybe I am the one who should ask you to crawl back into your cave.What does the Malvinas / Falklands mess have to do with smoky BA? Perhaps were it not for the USA's more disastrous venture in Vietnam there wouldn't be windblown smoke from the Everglades over Miami. After Iraq the house might be on fire. Would it be ok if an argentine monger posted on a USA board about Vietnam and Iraq? Caveman01 is a good buddy of mine who I have introduced to many visiting mongers to BA. He ordinarily displays much tact and patience when having to listen to the many benighted opinions uttered by dumbfuck mongers norteamericanos.

Caveman01
04-19-08, 14:42
If you find the last 200 years of Argentine history to be pleasant, suit yourself. I guess you're not one of the naive young men who went down on the Belgrano, trying to extend Argentine sovereignty over a some remote Atlantic islands (oh, how the Argentine people would be so much better off today if they had been successful - perhaps the air in BA would be breathable? Or else you would not be here today to put me in my place. Please. Maybe I am the one who should ask you to crawl back into your cave.There are some brief argentine history books for children that perhaps you can read.

There isn't too complicated.

And no,

The "naive young men who went down with the Belgrano" weren't trying "to extend Argentine sovereignity over some remote Atlantic islands". They were trying to RECOVER a piece of land.

But then again,

If you are so worried about Malvinas (whoops, I mean Falklands) read something about its history and perhaps you'll undestand that not all in the world means bussiness.

It's hard, but you could undestand it,

Some things like honour and pride you can't find it in the stock market.

Not here.

Not even in Hong Kong.

Flexible Horn
04-19-08, 15:05
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Falkland_Islands

There are several nations to have laid claim to the FALKLANDS over the years.

The above is a short, condensed version.

Caveman01
04-19-08, 18:47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Falkland_Islands

There are several nations to have laid claim to the FALKLANDS over the years.

The above is a short, condensed version.Yes, imperialism is everywhere.

The thing is on what basis do they claim their ownership.

Look at any South American map and search for the sea platform of Argentina.

Then find out where Malvinas Islands are (whoops, I mean Falklands)

Flexible Horn
04-20-08, 15:41
Yes, imperialism is everywhere.

The thing is on what basis do they claim their ownership.

Look at any South American map and search for the sea platform of Argentina.

Then find out where Malvinas Islands are (whoops, I mean Falklands)And your point being?

Caveman01
04-20-08, 15:47
And your point being?Historyc and geographyc, buddy.

Read again what yourself have mention.

Flexible Horn
04-20-08, 15:52
Historyc and geographyc, buddy.

Read again what yourself have mention.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire#The_Falklands_War

You could read this when you have some time

Monger514
04-20-08, 16:04
What does the Malvinas / Falklands mess have to do with smoky BA? Perhaps were it not for the USA's more disastrous venture in Vietnam there wouldn't be windblown smoke from the Everglades over Miami. After Iraq the house might be on fire. Would it be ok if an argentine monger posted on a USA board about Vietnam and Iraq? Caveman01 is a good buddy of mine who I have introduced to many visiting mongers to BA. He ordinarily displays much tact and patience when having to listen to the many benighted opinions uttered by dumbfuck mongers norteamericanos.Doggboy,

I've met you personally a couple of times, and I'm surprised you would call me a dumbfuck, which, most assuredly, I am not. I've never met Caveman (at least, not that I know of) so I only have his posts to go by.

Please point me to where I have ever stated that the US in Vietnam was anything other than disastrous (not to mention, immoral, and a lot of other things).

What does the Malvinas / Falklands mess have to do with smoky BA?Exactly. Nothing. Maybe the Argentines should figure out how to deal with real problems, and not worry about who reigns over the Falkland Islands. By the way, (lest someone jump in and put words into my mouth) I don't think the British should be ruling them either. "Ruling" just means, collecting taxes. Here's an idea, let them rule themselves. Crazy, huh? War is crazy. Nobody should be fighting a war over the Falklands, Vietnam, Iraq, or anywhere else.

Monger514
04-20-08, 16:08
almost 200 years of Argentine history every profit farmers ever had was for investing in foreign banks, as quickly as they could?You would too, if you thought your national government might freeze your bank accounts at any time. Is that covered in any of your Argentine history books for kids?

Saddam Hussein had the right hands of merchants who accepted dollars instead of dinars amputated. What punishment would you propose for these greedy farmers who wish to keep their own money?

Caveman01
04-20-08, 16:23
You would too, if you thought your national government might freeze your bank accounts at any time. The Cibibank, do you mean? The Bank of Boston, the HSBC? No, the're aren't national banks, Monger, I don't know the owners. Do you?

Saddam Hussein had the right hands of merchants who accepted dollars instead of dinars amputated. What punishment would you propose for these greedy farmers who wish to keep their own money?Pay their taxes, as in any other country in the world.

El Perro
04-20-08, 16:25
Doggboy, I've met you personally a couple of times, and I'm surprised you would call me a dumbfuck, which, most assuredly, I am not.

Maybe the Argentines should figure out how to deal with real problems, and not worry about who reigns over the Falkland Islands. 514-my issue (other than supporting my friend) is with non argentines who seem obsessed with criticizing Argentina, the government, the people, the culture and whatever, but who will rise up in a self righteous, indignant rage if argentines (or foreigners in general) have the audacity to criticize anything about the USA. Its the arrogant, "we are immune because we are the best country in the world" mentality that I find absurd, and is ultimately leading to an avalanche of problems in the states. So, the criticism that "argentines should figure out how to deal with real problems." is a criticism that applies to most of the world, and certainly to the USA as well as Argentina. Hey, its a case of glass houses don't you know, not to mention throwing the stones.

I will retract the "dumbfuck" comment specifically for you but will keep it for those ugly americans who endeavor to glory in it at every opportunity.

Cheers,

Dogg

Monger514
04-20-08, 18:07
but who will rise up in a self righteous, indignant rage if argentines (or foreigners in general) have the audacity to criticize anything about the USARight, there are many Americans who are guilty of this obviously, but I am just as critical of my own country as I am of anyone else. I just neglect to put that disclaimer in every post.

"Retraction" accepted (heh).

Monger514
04-20-08, 18:15
The Cibibank, do you mean? The Bank of Boston, the HSBC? No, the're aren't national banks, Monger, I don't know the owners. Do you?I don't know the owners of the bank I do put my money in, and I doubt you know the owners of yours. You should not be so concerned what people do with their own money.

Pay their taxes, as in any other country in the world.Those taxes paid for the Falklands War, and the Dirty War that killed 30,000 people (and here in America, taxes pay for lots of evil things, too) If the farmers won't pay their taxes, then I assume you advocate putting them in jail? More humane than cutting their hands off; no less moral.

I'm signing off from this thread. You can have the last word.

Exon123
04-20-08, 19:36
514-my issue (other than supporting my friend) is with non argentines who seem obsessed with criticizing Argentina, the government, the people, the culture and whatever, but who will rise up in a self righteous, indignant rage if argentines (or foreigners in general) have the audacity to criticize anything about the USA. Its the arrogant, "we are immune because we are the best country in the world" mentality that I find absurd, and is ultimately leading to an avalanche of problems in the states. So, the criticism that "argentines should figure out how to deal with real problems." is a criticism that applies to most of the world, and certainly to the USA as well as Argentina. Hey, its a case of glass houses don't you know, not to mention throwing the stones.

I will retract the "dumbfuck" comment specifically for you but will keep it for those ugly americans who endeavor to glory in it at every opportunity.

Cheers,

DoggDogg,

Why are you retracting the comment, he has certainly earned that.

Exon

El Perro
04-20-08, 19:41
Dogg,

Why are you retracting the comment, he has certainly earned that.

ExonJust doing my little bit to keep the karma in the straight and narrow.:) Off to Gibralter for a few beers. You fellows play nice now.;)

Caveman01
04-20-08, 20:10
I don't know the owners of the bank I do put my money in, and I doubt you know the owners of yours. You should not be so concerned what people do with their own money.

Those taxes paid for the Falklands War, and the Dirty War that killed 30,000 people (and here in America, taxes pay for lots of evil things, too) If the farmers won't pay their taxes, then I assume you advocate putting them in jail? More humane than cutting their hands off; no less moral.

I'm signing off from this thread. You can have the last word.So, I should presume you have the habit of retiring of a discussion when you don't have the answers. It's a pity for one who once sounded so proud and sure at the beginnig of this thread. But yes, making absurd statements about things you don't even half known usually carries to that sad kind of conclusions.

My reference to the banks was not because I care or not care about the owners of the ones I have the money in, but because the banks here mention had a lot to do with the freezing accounts you mark.

The reference to the taxes (or, as I try to understand, TO NOT PAYING THEM (¿?) is so nonsensical that I'll refrain myself of any comment. So, I suppose, that you are in favor, in a world where 4/ 5 can't cover their basic needs, that this 1/ 5 that holds the money don't be forced to pay their taxes to cover at least part of those needs. Very ethical of you.

But as I wrote some post ago, keep on writing about the things you care and don't have to use your brain on and overall don't pay any taxes: night clubs, gatos, etc.

Bye.

Monger514
04-20-08, 21:11
I didn't see the point in going on and on. I graciously gave you the last word, and you handled it with your usual class.

Caveman01
04-20-08, 21:38
I didn't see the point in going on and on. I graciously gave you the last word, and you handled it with your usual class.Thank you,.

I didn't know I had the class, also.

Tessan
05-13-08, 20:00
From bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aPF48pLoBNAQ&refer=latin_america

At ports on the Parana River, where most of Argentina's grain exports originate, only two cargo trucks arrived overnight, compared with 5,969 on the same day a year ago, the Rosario Board of Trade said today on its Web site.

From Latin Businuess Chronicle Uruguay. http://www.latinbusinesschronicle.com/app/article.aspx?id=2371

The opposing banks of the River Plate are contrasts in style. They were always that way. Buenos Aires was usually metropolitan and bright, while Montevideo was provincial and sullen.

Argentine farmers and international grain companies are descending in hoards to buy up fertile farmland and escape the export tariffs on the other side of the river. The price of farmland spiked four-fold in some parts of the country. Likewise, building developers are transforming the skylines of Punta del Este and Montevideo into the Riviera of the South Atlantic. The massive capital inflows forced the Uruguayan peso to appreciate and international reserves to soar. It also helped overheat the Uruguayan economy, pushing the inflation rate to 8 percent. However, the massive mobilization of resources is allowing Uruguay to overcome the loss of competitiveness and emerge as one of the more affluent societies of Latin America.

From http://www.mercopress.com/vernoticia.do?id=13401&formato=HTML

Cordoba and Santa Fe provinces support farmers' claims.

Argentine striking farmers confirmed on Monday a powerful supporter in their conflict with the President Kirchner administrations over the grains and oil seeds export taxes controversy.

Juan Schiaretti the governor of the province of Cordoba, one of the country's richest, called on the federal government to lower the tax system and also requested that farmers put an end to their protest mobilization.

Farmers' representatives and governor Schiaretti, who belongs to the ruling party in Argentina, met for over an hour on Monday. Farmers described the meeting as "productive" and said the governor "ratified" his position regarding the export levies sliding system.

"He told us that the issue of the export levies must be reviewed and a way to lower it to ensure the profitability of the farming sector must be found. We believe the camp has confirmed a very strong supporter in governor Schiaretti", said Fernando Gioino, head of Coninagro one of the farmers' organizations.

In a release following the meeting governor Schiaretti, who has repeatedly proclaimed his support for President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, said that farmers and the federal government must return to the round of negotiations. He also asked farmers to definitively lift the protest strike next Thursday and revealed that "on the same Monday", he had requested authorities in Buenos Aires to modify the export levies system, originally announced March 11 and which triggered the ongoing conflict.

Schiaretti as well as other governors and provincial elected officials and members of Congress are feeling the pressure from voters who elected them just six months ago. Cordoba in particular has a strong thriving manufacturing sector, linked to agriculture equipment as well as a significant farming sector.

Farmers next Thursday will be meeting with Santa Fe governor Hermes Binner, who belongs to the opposition Socialist party. He strongly supports farmers and has repeatedly asked for dialogue resumption and a review of the farm export taxing system.

Other Argentine governors and members of Congress are known to support the farmers' position but so far only Schiaretti and Binner have done so openly.

But on Monday also, Buenos Aires province governor, Daniel Scioli, who was scheduled to meet farmers, at last moment alleging that they had anticipated his support, had the delegation meet with his cabinet chief and ministers of Economy and Agriculture following the formal structure of the dialogue round with the central government in Buenos Aires city.

Mr. Scioli, former vicepresident has a strong reputation but no personal political backing, and depends entirely on the Kirchner's. Buenos Aires province in the heartland of Argentina's fertile pampas and efficient agriculture but is also home in the suburban areas of the power base of the hegemonic Justicialista party, currently, --since 2003--, under the Kirchners.

Tessan
05-14-08, 23:45
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=akjRl2GZWX9s&refer=latin_america

Tessan
05-15-08, 18:09
Soybeans Fall as Argentine Government, Farmers May End Dispute

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601012&sid=a9qsCrElk16Q&refer=commodities

Argentine Food Companies, Banks Rally as Strike Concern Eases

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aaNEZnmCez7A&refer=latin_america

With Fernandez's speech late Wednesday prompting investors to return to Argentina's beaten-down asset markets, a warning from a senior farm leader during the last hour of trading did not prevent local equity and fixed income markets from closing higher.

Whereas the President had called for dialogue and the unity of her country - now bitterly divided over the two-month battle over a soybean export tax - Argentine Agrarian Federation leader Eduardo Buzzi said farmers needed to see "concrete results" before they could call off their strike.

Buzzi made these comments one hour before he and the leaders of three other farm groups were to announce their decision on whether to continue the halt in grains sales they announced last week. Thursday was the deadline for this decision on whether to extend what initially was a conditional 8-day strike.

http://www.fxstreet.com/news/forex-news/article.aspx?StoryId=530acdbc-2280-4598-8cf1-7dee86e0824b

Tessan
05-16-08, 02:33
May 16 (Bloomberg) -- Striking farmers in Argentina are counting on the plunging popularity of President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner to help force the repeal of higher export- taxes that have disrupted grain shipments.

Farm-group leaders extended their protests yesterday for at least another six days, after the government failed to renew talks over the taxes. Farmers won the support of governors of agricultural provinces Santa Fe and Cordoba and pledged to continue to block grain trucks from ports and withhold crops.

The escalating dispute has sent the president's positive image to 23 percent from 30 percent a month ago, pollster Jorge Giacobbe said. Fernandez, who took office five months ago with a 42 percent rating, is the most unpopular president since Fernando de la Rua raised taxes in 1999, Giacobbe said. De la Rua quit two years later amid a financial crisis.

'Confidence in the president is falling quickly,'' Giacobbe said yesterday in an interview from Buenos Aires. 'If she doesn't want more conflict, there won't be any more. It's all up to her.''

The president hasn't directly addressed the farmers in public speeches since April 1, increasing public concern that the escalating conflict may hurt Argentina's economy, the second- largest in South America, Giacobbe said. He polled 1,000 people between April 30 and May 13 and the results have a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

'Urgent' Meeting.

The protesters have requested an 'urgent'' meeting with Fernandez, said Mario Llambias, head of the Argentine Rural Confederation. The farmers plan to meet on May 21 to evaluate the progress of the protest, which resumed May 7 after a one-month pause failed to result in an agreement, Llambias told reporters yesterday in the city of Santa Fe.

The government must produce 'concrete measures'' before farmers will return to talks aimed at ending the strike, said Luciano Miguens, head of the Rural Society, the country's biggest farmers' union.

Cabinet Chief Alberto Fernandez, Interior Minister Florencio Randazzo and Justice Minister Anibal Fernandez all declined to comment, according to their press offices.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aYsoT8pLdp_Y&refer=latin_america

Tessan
05-19-08, 14:22
Soybeans Plunge on Speculation Argentine Farm Strike Will End.

By Jeff Wilson.

May 19 (Bloomberg) -- Soybeans fell the most in seven weeks on speculation that Argentine farmers will halt their nationwide strike to clear the way for talks with the government aimed at repealing increased agricultural taxes.

Leaders of the four main farm groups plan to meet today in Buenos Aires to determine how to proceed with the protest set to end May 21, Eduardo Buzzi, president of the Argentine Agrarian Federation said today. The strike, which began May 7, has brought exports of farm products to a standstill and helped boost U. S. Soybean prices 5.3 percent before today.

'There's speculation the farmer strike may end,'' said Jim Riley, a grain-market broker for the Linn Group in Chicago. 'Until the Argentina strike is settled, the soybean market will be held hostage to each new development.''

Soybean futures for July delivery fell 48.25 cents, or 3.5 percent, to $13.2975 a bushel at 10:36 a. M. On the Chicago Board of Trade. A close at that price would be the biggest decline since March 31. Before today, most-active futures have fallen 13 percent from a record $15.865 on March 3 on prospects for rising global production.

'We have to make it easier for discussions to take place,'' farm leader Buzzi said in a speech broadcast on television channel C5N yesterday. The protest has won wide support from provincial governors and senators, Buzzi said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601012&sid=aKjzzStwLGu4&refer=commodities

Tessan
05-20-08, 00:16
The farmers are suspending their strike On Wendnesday, to talk with the gov. The gov. Had set it as a condition of new talks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/7527235

"The decision has to do with giving the government conditions so we can sit down and talk. The farmers want solutions," said Eduardo Buzzi, another farm leader.

And from AP.

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) - Argentina's four main farm groups say they will suspend a 13-day strike against export restrictions to make way for talks with the government.

Mario Llambias is head of the Confederation of Rural Argentines. He said Monday that farmers will resume sales of wheat, soy and sunflower seeds early on Wednesday.

Farmers suspended grain sales on May 7 to protest high export taxes and other restrictions imposed by the government of President Cristina Fernandez.

Her government had declined to negotiate until the strike was suspended.

Norman Stormin
12-09-09, 19:34
I made my customary deposit in the Sperm Bank the day after the the Sperm Bank Holiday and was ready to have a nice lunch at the Plaza Austurias. Unfortunately, about 20 protesters had selected this corner to beat their drums. They were accompanied by the customary 40 journalists to account this to their countrymen, and 200 policemen to justify their existance.

I decided to go a block away to the Globo but settled on El Imparcial because El Globo no longer offers a blue plate special. I had a nice three course lunch including 1/2 bottle of Trapiche Malbec for 35p. Great service and they have a smoking room just like the Globo.

When I left, the drummers had disbursed but the police were still around. I decided to have a coffee on the corner of Ave. de Mayo and 9 de Julio. To my amazement there was an additional contingent of police parked in vans here on Lima. I decided to have a liter of beer instead of coffee as I thought it best to have a ready weapon at hand. It´s about 15:00. At 15:30 The protesters come back from lunch.

Lots of flags and drums but not a lot of people. Che Guevera seems to outrank all the others by about four to one . Then there were a lot of the the Holy Trinity: Che, Peron, and Maradonna. A few of Castro, Lenin, Uncle Joe Stalin and Chavez. But there was was one I simply couldn´t understand. It was the Socialist Worker´s Party which said Mas Capital. Now I understand that Das Capital was the work of Karl Marx and Frederich Engle. And that their work certainly did not extoll the virtues of Capital. And I understand that MAS in Spanish means MORE.

Does this mean the Socialist Workers Party wants more money or did they simply misspell Das? Would appreciate any input from our local brothers.

Esten
12-16-09, 21:21
A short sidebar in the BA Herald on Monday provided details on a planned protest against city brothels.

"Organizations that fight against slavery and sexual exploitation tomorrow will march to the General Prosecutor's Office to demand that Buenos Aires City's brothels be closed down. Several NGOs and national deputies announced they will join the demonstration that will start at 6pm from Callao and Santa Fe avenues... "

They were going to march to the prosecutor's office in Recoleta to demand the law that bans brothels be complied with.

I stopped by to have a look yesterday at 6pm. There were about 40 protestors, mostly women. They were in a group about 4 cars long on Callao behind a couple of make-shift signs being held at the front. They were also handing out an information sheet to people walking by. It looked like they had a police car escort waiting for them nearby but no traffic was blocked or stopped. I didn't stay to watch the march get going as I had an appointment to get to.

Jackson
12-17-09, 14:59
I didn't stay to watch the march get going as I had an appointment to get to.Was it an appointment at a privado?

Ja, ja, ja.

Esten
12-18-09, 22:16
At a massage place. Close enough!