PDA

View Full Version : Reserva Ecológica Castenera Sur

Rockin Bob
04-02-08, 18:38
I always thought this was just a swamp where the mob would drop off bodies or something. Today I just happened to check it out and found a number of my fellow porteños passing Malvinas Day there. It was nice.

The entrance is at the end of Vera Peñaloza (where? It's the extension of Estados Unidos in Puerto Madero: in other words, go to San Telmo and head for the river) There's a plaza there (Las Nereides fountain), the entrance to the park is to the left. It's called Acceso Brazil, don't ask me why. There's a reception area with an information booth so you can get oriented.

There are a couple of paths you can take. I would recommend going to a little grove by the river called Ponto de Encuentro. You can walk back the way you came or continue along the river and you will come out at a secondary entrance which would let you out at the very end of Av. Cordoba or whatever it's called after the Buquebus port. (You can enter there, too, it's just the other entrance would be better the first time just for the orintation facilities.)

The beach isn't more than rocks and it's not the most spectacular place, but it's nature, it has some nice spots, and of course a nice view of the river.

Warning: we're talking what could be a two mile walk depending on your route so if you don't like a long walk it's not for you. The distances of the routes are posted so you can figure out in advance just how far you want to go.

Smuler
04-03-08, 01:31
Hey Bob,

Can you tell me the condition of the paths in the reserve?

I go bicycle riding when I am in BA, and this is one place I have never been to.

Best Regards,

Smuler

Rockin Bob
04-03-08, 11:50
I forgot to mention that I saw a lot of people on bicycles and like I said, the distances are a little bit long for a walk. In other words, it's the perfect place to go for a bike ride.

The paths a more like dirt roads, to be accurate, wide enough for a car.

Smuler
04-04-08, 01:09
Thanks Bob.

Best Regards.

Smuler

WorldTravel69
04-04-08, 01:41
There is a museum there. Check the photos out, they used to swim there, long before they filled the land in. Most of the fill is from the Casas that were on 9 de Julio. It was necessary to make a wide Blvd. I am sure some of it is from other areas, of which I can not remember.

Last year in March and April, May, there were tooooo many Mosquitoes. I walked it in June and they were all dead. Great walk.

At the Cordoba entrance it has another name.

Smuler
04-04-08, 09:26
Hey WT,

I assume that when I arrive at the end of October, the mosquitos might be in full bloom?

Time for Deep Woods Off.

Best Regards.

Smuler

WorldTravel69
04-04-08, 12:10
It all depends on the Rain and weather and if they spray or not. I do not remember mosquitoes last October or November.

Hey WT. I assume that when I arrive at the end of October, the mosquitos might be in full bloom?

Time for Deep Woods Off.

Best Regards.

Smuler

Pallufo
04-04-08, 20:03
And if you go after dark you can find a bunch of travesties trying to pick up business.

MCSE
04-05-08, 17:29
Here are some pics on the area, including the entrance to reserva ecologica, the monument to Luis Viale, las nereidas fountain, and some on the field that formely was used to creamfields event.

I have more COPYRIGHTED pictures in here http://www.barts.com.ar/barts/citypics.php?location=puerto_madero

It's a very lovely area, and the only problem is the mosquitos, as the comment I've readed, never seen any form of street prostitution in the area, but I avoid going by night, while seems to be a safe area.

Redondo
04-05-08, 22:59
You can actually take a big tour through the ecologico. I would estimate it's something like 5 km.

The boulevard of costanera Sur can be used as well, many people do. The parks insite Puerto Madero are less suited.

ComeOnDown
04-09-08, 16:06
Be adviced that the park closes early. When I went there the park administration were no longer allowing people to enter at 6 in the afternoon. Also, if you need to answer the call of nature better do it before you enter (there are toilets in the administration house, just before the entrance) as the toilets inside the park are not really that clean.

I'm not really sure if this is an everyday thing, but there were bikes for hire when I went there on a weekend.

Redondo
04-09-08, 18:24
Be adviced that the park closes early. When I went there the park administration were no longer allowing people to enter at 6 in the afternoon. Also, if you need to answer the call of nature better do it before you enter (there are toilets in the administration house, just before the entrance) as the toilets inside the park are not really that clean.

I'm not really sure if this is an everyday thing, but there were bikes for hire when I went there on a weekend.You can rent bikes every weekend.