PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest flight from Central America?

Gomi01
04-10-08, 23:49
I'm planning a trip to BA for my first monger adventure. I qualify for a free trip to Central America with my UA miles. I was wondering what would be the best way to go from Central America to BA? Anyone have any advice on that?

Alternatively I can get a free trip with miles left over to any US city, then grab a flight to BA from there. I was thinking Miami or somewhere in Florida would make the most sense?

Jaimito Cartero
04-11-08, 01:20
Most fights from Central America will cost more than flying from the US. A trip within South America might work out, so a cheaper trip to Colombia or Peru might work.

You might apply for a UA credit card and just get the extra miles you need for the trip from the USA.

Gomi01
04-11-08, 16:17
I would have done that but I've tapped that source out a long time ago=) I may just buy some miles to reach 50k, seems to be the cheaper route. Time to brush up on my non-existent Spanish.

Sportsman
04-11-08, 20:54
I may just buy some miles to reach 50k, seems to be the cheaper route.Before you spend any money to buy enough miles for an award ticket on UA, make sure that it is available on the dates you plan to travel. In my experience, I need to book saver award busniess class ticket to EZE on UA months ahead of time. Coach ticket is a little bit easier.

Jaimito Cartero
04-11-08, 21:00
Yep, good advice, as reward tickets are only going to be getting more difficult with the belt tightening going on. If UA and CO merge, then they might even reduce flights to EZE, and drive prices up even more, and really reduce the amount of reward seats available.

El Nica
04-13-08, 13:07
I'm planning a trip to BA for my first monger adventure. I qualify for a free trip to Central America with my UA miles. I was wondering what would be the best way to go from Central America to BA? Anyone have any advice on that?

Alternatively I can get a free trip with miles left over to any US city, then grab a flight to BA from there. I was thinking Miami or somewhere in Florida would make the most sense?If you are getting a free trip to Central America, go to Panama. From there, COPA flights direct to EZE. The fair should be more reasonable.

Good Luck

SmokersRule
04-13-08, 14:37
My first adventure was to BA. Don't get me wrong--I was awesome. Not to rain on your BA parade, but a newbie with a free ticket to Central America might do better just going to San Jose. Depends on your preferences, but I'd rather spend the extra $$$ it would take me to get to BA from Central America on a room at Zona Blue and get my $20 sessions.

Jaimito Cartero
04-13-08, 16:18
If you are getting a free trip to Central America, go to Panama. From there, COPA flights direct to EZE. The fair should be more reasonable. Guess again. A Copa flight PTY-EZE costs over $1000. You could save $100 by going on Avianca, but not sure how nice their flights are.

You can find flights to EZE from the US for about the same price if you look around a bit.

$861 from NYC.

$695 from MIA.

$973 from LAX.

Tiny12
04-13-08, 16:22
If you are getting a free trip to Central America, go to Panama. From there, COPA flights direct to EZE. The fair should be more reasonable.

Good LuckCopa's fares out of PTY can be higher than what you'll pay from, say, SJO. But Copa has the only nonstops from Central America. Jaimito is probably right, if Gomi01's primary consideration is price, it should be cheaper going directly from the U. S. Maybe using frequent flyer miles to get to Miami or wherever. But if he wants to see a little of Central America and values convenience, Panama would be the best choice.

(I posted before seeing Jaimito's fares below -- I shouldn't have written that he's probably right -- he's definitely right.)

Gomi01
04-14-08, 01:07
Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep Costa Rica in mind if I can't get the miles for Argentina. It's just that those pictures from the BA websites are luring me in. I also get the impression BA would be more newb friendly.

I'm also considering doing a trip to Europe instead of BA. I'm just more interested in traveling there for non-mongering activities. I haven't decided yet, and I'm flexible on my travel schedule. Argentina just seems to be the best in terms of bang for the buck and convenience.

Jaimito Cartero
04-14-08, 01:25
Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep Costa Rica in mind if I can't get the miles for Argentina. It's just that those pictures from the BA websites are luring me in. I also get the impression BA would be more newb friendly.

I'm also considering doing a trip to Europe instead of BA. I'm just more interested in traveling there for non-mongering activities. I haven't decided yet, and I'm flexible on my travel schedule. Argentina just seems to be the best in terms of bang for the buck and convenience.Argentina is a fair deal, but of course if you've been coming for more than a couple of years, you'll just compare it to then when prices were much lower. When 150 pesos bought you a real stunner, and 13 pesos bought you the huge steak at El Yugo.

Much of Europe is much more expensive than Buenos Aires. So factor the prices of everything you'll do, before choosing.