PDA

View Full Version : El Desnivel at 855 Defensa

Aussie Marc
04-22-08, 20:19
Has anyone eaten at this parrilla.

It gets a good write-up in the copy of "Travellers Guru" that I picked up from the airport this week. The writer claims to have eaten there 30 times!

I gather that it is targetting the "cheaper" end of the market ie. Backpackers and other budget-conscious travellers.

If I have time I will try it out by the end of the week.

Aqualung
04-22-08, 23:36
It was originally a place where the van and bus drivers from the nearby Tango shows would meet and eat (well and cheap) then it became popular with backpackers and now it's clients are mostly pseudo-bohemians and arty-farty type. It's still supposed to be good and inexpensive.

Smuler
04-23-08, 00:11
I ate there on a Sunday, last year. It was my second day in Buenos Aires. And I attended the " Sunday Fair " in San Telmo.

It was very good and the people were very nice.

If I recall, I had some beef, with a side of Ravioli (I had to see if their italian food was any good)

Diet Coke with lemon. And I was out of there.

I recommend it. Sort of like a pizza place kind of decor if I recall.

Best Regards.

Smuler

Aussie Marc
04-24-08, 17:32
Guys, I had dinner there last night.

The crowd I would guess was roughly 50-50 tourists and locals, maybe even a majority were visitors. Being close to a few of the hostels in San Telmo, it attracts a fair share of backpackers - so lots of younger folk.

I have to say that my meal was pretty good! I ordered the Bife de Lomo, a side dish, an empanada, 1/8 bottle of vino, then 1/2 of the "vino de casa" (for a measly 6 Pesos!), a bottle of water, a postre and a coffee. The steak was 30 pesos and it was great. Very tender and juicy, trimmed of all fat, cooked to instructions. Not super huge, but with the side dish and the bread rolls, it left me enough room for a dessert. The dessert was huge. All up the bills was 70 Pesos.

It was busy, the service was okay - a bit slow but not too bad - and the venue had a very social atmosphere with lots of tables with groups having a good time.