PDA

View Full Version : ByT Argentina

Moore
05-03-08, 22:10
I used this company based on a recommedation by Judd. They have a quite extensive listing of apartments in various neighborhoods and of various sizes/prices on their website with extensive details and photos for each one. Mine was a 70m2 one bedroom in Recoleta for USD 320/week. It was fully furnished, very clean, and exactly as it appeared in the photos. The reservation, check-in, and check-out processes were very smooth and the central office quite attentive.

You can check availability online - it seems most good apartments are fully booked about 6-8 weeks going forward.

The only gripes I have are that the landline did not allow calls to cellphones and having to pay the rent and deposit in cash USD (exact change) - but it is Argentina.

I highly recommend this agency.

http://www.bytargentina.com/

Miami Bob
05-03-08, 22:46
Their customer service is not like an USA company. I telephone repeatedly and end up getting good service. When I had a dishonest owner, BYT did the fighting for me. Reynolds is also a quality operation. These two companies act like they are in business for the long run.

Renting from Jackson or Barts or Argentine Rentals is really dealing with an American company. A higher level of service, but sometimes at a slightly higher price. You will not have non-working internet, except for an act of god. The apartment owners are really in control. You can only go with quality to avoid a dishonest owner. This is random luck with some of the agencies.

Member #2041
05-05-08, 20:42
I used them for two separate 1 week rentals during my recent Argentina trip.

The first, was for a large studio on Corrientes & Callao, for $300/ wk plus their $35 booking fee, which served me well as a base from which to learn my way around BA and it's transport system.

The second, a very nice 1 BR in Recoleta on Vincente Lopez for $325 + $35 booking fee, was a great value, once I already knew my way around the city and could use the collectivos (buses) to get around to my favorite privados. This second place was really excellent, and I could see about 1/3 of the cemetary from my balcony.

My only issue with this agency is that you need to keep on them to make sure that they do your check-out and check in appointments at the correct times. But the apartments were honestly represented and quite good deals

Ben There
05-06-08, 06:01
I used MCSE apts once and BYT the second time. I won't go back to BYT. I got a place that was no comparison to what MCSE offered. The internet didn't work, the tv in the bedroom didn't work, the couch was old. There was no way I was going to have a girl over. I called byt to resolve and they only said it was buyer beware and that they had no control. Not good customer service at all. Like using my old aunts apartment and the old lady across the hall came to give me the key.

Miami Bob
05-06-08, 11:34
I hook up to the internet before paying unless I've delt with the owner before.

How many towels are in the apartment?

Any problem with the internet, I don't pay without the owner bringing in a techie. Only two towels, no go.

I am always prepared to spend a night in a cheap hotel if necesary. This creates motivation: an empty apartment and a complaint to the tourism police--a very interesting and little know Argentine government service to prevent from theft from tourists.

Some of the cheaper internet services require that my computer's ip address is registered with the service provider---=easy for a spanish speaking techie and near impossible for me. 40 or 50 pesos to a techie will do the trick. The owner's cash on the table and a call to the techie makes me more comfortable. Some of the DSL and USB hook-up's require that software is loaded onto your computer--again easy if you know what you are doing, impossible for an over tired traveler without locale knowledge and a copy of the software.

When an apartment has a rental price too low, there is usually a reason. Always be thinking while looking at photos on the internet, the photos always show the apartment at it's best--do I want to stay here. Would I rather pay us$325 per week for a nicer place rather than us$250 for something that looks questionable. If you reserve early, there is little reason to pay over us$75 per night, unless you want luxury and / or the security of a top firm or dealing with Jackson who would not take advantage of you and offers only top luxury apartments. Sometimes you get what you pay for!

I am still comfortable with Reynolds and BYT, but you must be prepared to telephone repetedly and constantly to obtain good service.

Exon123
05-06-08, 15:44
I hook up to the internet before paying unless I've delt with the owner before.

How many towels are in the apartment?

Any problem with the internet, I don't pay without the owner bringing in a techie. Only two towels, no go.

I am always prepared to spend a night in a cheap hotel if necesary. This creates motivation: an empty apartment and a compalint to the tourism police--a very interesting and little know argentine government service to prevent from theft from tourists.

Some of the cheaper internet services require that my computer's ip address is registered with the service provider---=easy for a spanish speaking techie and near impossible for me. 40 or 50 pesos to a techie will do the trick. The owner's cash on the table and a call to the techie makes me more comfortable. Some of the dsl and usb hook-up's require that software is loaded onto your computer--again easy if you know what you are doing, impossible for an over tired traveler without locale knowledge and a copy of the software.

When an apartment has a rental price too low, there is usually a reason. Always be thinking while looking at photos on the internet, the photos always show the apartment at it's best--do I want to stay here. Would I rather pay us$325 per week for a nicer place rather than us$250 for something that looks questionable. If you reserve early, there is little reason to pay over us$75 per night, unless you want luxury and / or the security of a top firm or dealing with jackson who would not take advantage of you and offers only top luxury apartments. Sometimes you get what you pay for!

I am still comfortable with reynolds and byt, but you must be prepared to telephone repetedly and constantly to obtain good service.We're on the same page Miami Bob,

I prefer to give my business to my friends Roxana or Jackson, if their booked I go to Reynolds Properties located on the 3rd floor above Jacksons on Junin. They speak perfect English and run the business as close to Americanized as your going to find in Argentina. But your still at the mercy of your Argentine landlord. So no matter how tired you are from the flight, check the internet conection and the hot water before you pay any money.

A couple of trips ago they were booked and I ended up in a Shit hole place at Junin & Juncal for a week waiting for "Easy Go" to move out of Roxana's place and become available for me. Just about runined my trip.

Long story short, Jackson sat me down and we had "Church" together. The jist of the conversation was, "Listen you cheap CockSucker, You fly all the way down here and end up in a "Flea Bag" apartment and it fucks up your trip". Arge's have no conception what class and comfort is, they just want your money.

You know, I got to thinking about that and the CockSucker was right. The difference between "Chicken Shit" & "Chicken Salad" is a little bit of money. Jackson was right, by saving 5 or 6 hundred dollars on housing you "Fuck Yourself". Its much better to have a comfortable place with reliable internet and phones than to save a few hundred dollars.

Now, moving right along.

Jackson's apartment on Junin is ideal. Location, Mongering, Taxi's, Restuarants everything. But whats really cool about the Junin apartment is communication. His high speed internet is going to work and its fast. But over and above that, Jackson's phone system is the best I've found in Argentina. Yea he has a free cell phone, not a big deal for me. But what he does have is free Vonage phone service and a phone system thats not blocked for out going cell phone calls. What this means is you can sit at the desk, surf the internet for Chica's and not have to use a cell phone to call them. Plus you call also sit there with a Vonage phone and its just like your sitting home in your office, its great.

Now for Roxana's apartment.

I love this woman dearly and we've been close friends for years. She always has first look at my business, even to the point that I will book my lodging around her open dates to fill in her vacancy's. I love the quite location on Guido and of course its just half a block from "Checkers Pub", my favorite.

But Roxana has the "Shitiest Phone System in Argentina". Anyone that has ever stayed their will know what I'm talking about. (Love you Roxana)

I have asked Roxana to raise the rent and include a new phone system similar to Jackson's. She needs an extention on the night stand and one on the desk, plus a Vonage set up. It needs to be able to make free cellular call's without dialing a million numbers since its impossible to make a cellular call from inside the apartment.

So Roxana, Mi Amor, raise the rent $10 or $15 bucks a day and include these new features. The Mongers with pay it because its worth the convienance of not having to leave the apartment to set up a date with your chica.

Exon

Member #2041
05-06-08, 16:50
You know, I got to thinking about that and the CockSucker was right. The difference between "Chicken Shit & Chicken Saliad" is a little bit of money. Jackson's was right, by saving 5 or 6 hundred dollars on housing you "Fuck Yourself". Its much better to have a confortable place with reliable internet and phones than save a few hundred dollars.I have to say that I disagree with this. This is the 21st century - It's very easy and cheap to be entirely self-sufficient on phone and internet technology without being constrained in the slightest by the limitations of the place you stay.

I don't even care what the phone system or the internet access is of the apartment I am staying in. I have my own world-compatible cell phone which is my number, and which I buy a local SIM wherever I go, and I don't even travel with a laptop anymore, because I don't find it to be worth the hassle - given the air security issues and the ever-tightening baggage limitations the airlines are implementing. Internet access in BA costs 2-3 pesos an hour, on virtually every street in the entire city. This is also true in most any city I travel to. There is no way that I would pay $50+ a week premium for high quality phone and wireless internet access. They are, frankly, almost completely worthless to me.

What I care about in an apartment is really very simple:

1) Location.

2) How nice is the Bedroom and the Bathroom of the place, and were the photos of the place accurate?

3) Is the place secure?

4) Is the cost appropriate for the size and location?

5) Towels.

Jackson's place is no doubt very nice, but it is twice the size I look for, and as a result, it costs too much.

The place I stayed in Recoleta through BytArgentina was a much better deal, for a single traveller.

http://www.bytargentina.com/re/propview.php?&ano_ing=&dia_ing=&mes_ing=&ano_sal=&dia_sal=&mes_sal=&apartmentclose=&view=1487

Jackson
05-06-08, 16:55
I have to say that I disagree with this. This is the 21st century - It's very easy and cheap to be entirely self-sufficient on phone and internet technology without being constrained in the slightest by the limitations of the place you stay.Hi Member #2041,

Not withstanding the accuracy of your comments, but there are a few things to consider:

1. Many internet chicas will insist as a security issue that you call them from a land line telephone in the apartment where you want them to meet you.

2. Some apartments like Roxana's (My Dear, I love you too) are in the middle of the building and cannot connect to the cell phone systems because the signal is too weak.

3. For international calls, it's hard to beat the virtually free (for the guest) calls to and from the USA via the Vonage telephone. I don't know what you're paying for international calls from your world-compatible cell phone, but I doubt that it's zero.

Thanks,

Jackson

Jackson
05-06-08, 17:09
A couple of trips ago they were booked and I ended up in a Shit hole place at Junin & Juncal for a week waiting for "Easy Go" to move out of Roxana's place and become available for me. Just about runined my trip.Exon,

BTW, why don't you tell everybody who was the good friend of yours who recommended and steered you to the "Shit hole place"?

Thanks,

Jackson

Benjoe
05-06-08, 17:12
I have to say that I disagree with this. This is the 21st century - It's very easy and cheap to be entirely self-sufficient on phone and internet technology without being constrained in the slightest by the limitations of the place you stay.

The place I stayed in Recoleta through BytArgentina was a much better deal, for a single traveller.

http://www.bytargentina.com/re/propview.php?&ano_ing=&dia_ing=&mes_ing=&ano_sal=&dia_sal=&mes_sal=&apartmentclose=&view=1487Do you ever have problems getting your security deposit back when dealing with ByT?

Exon123
05-06-08, 18:55
Exon,

BTW, why don't you tell everybody who was the good friend of yours who recommended and steered you to the "Shit hole place"?

Thanks,

JacksonYou know she was CockSucker and she probably got a "Kick Back" on it. Thats the Argentine way of doing things you know.

You do have the best internet and phone systems in town though. Its important to me since I don't like getting up, leaving the house to make a cellular call or read the internet. I personally don't want or use a cell phone, hell one of my "Rented Friends" might call me.

And one more thing, Chica's rarely have any minutes on their cell phones. Often times they'll need to check in with a baby sitter or such, their very appreciative of a phone they can call check in with. Plus its cheaper than giving them the $20 peso's their gona ask you for so they can buy a new cell card.

Exon

Member #2041
05-06-08, 20:12
Hi Member #2041,

Not withstanding the accuracy of your comments, but there are a few things to consider:

1. Many internet chicas will insist as a security issue that you call them from a land line telephone in the apartment where you want them to meet you.

2. Some apartments like Roxana's (My Dear, I love you too) are in the middle of the building and cannot connect to the cell phone systems because the signal is too weak.

3. For international calls, it's hard to beat the virtually free (for the guest) calls to and from the USA via the Vonage telephone. I don't know what you're paying for international calls from your world-compatible cell phone, but I doubt that it's zero.

Thanks,

JacksonIn close to 10 YEARS of travel, I have NEVER needed to make a land line call to book a chica in any country ever. I don't book apartments that are in the middle of a building - as I said, location IS important. As for international calls - I rarely if ever make them when I travel, but when I do, I use a pre-paid calling card that costs me 15-25 cents a minute depending on which country I am calling. I did not say that Vonage capability was totally worthless, I said NEARLY worthless to me. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $10-20 a week for it, in and of itself.

Member #2041
05-06-08, 20:15
Do you ever have problems getting your security deposit back when dealing with ByT?My only issue was getting them to show up at the right time to check me out. They tend to show up EARLY - as I said, I found that it was necessary to keep on them by phone to confirm the time of the check out appointment. But refunding the deposit in it's entirety has never been an issue. But I am very easy on the places I rent - Basically, other than normal maid service for the place, they never need anything else.

Kleinberg
05-08-08, 05:06
Plus their $35 booking fee.Booking is now on 45 bucks (+29%)

Sportsman
05-09-08, 14:39
Booking is now on 45 bucks (+29%)It went up from $35 to $40 only about 2 months ago. Antoher increase since then. That's two increases in less than 3 months.

Jackson
05-09-08, 14:46
I guess I'd better get with the program. I don't even have a "booking fee".

Punter 127
05-10-08, 00:20
I guess I'd better get with the program. I don't even have a "booking fee".I'll pay you the $40 booking fee if you'll match the price of the last apartment I had in BA. :rolleyes:

Snowbird
09-26-08, 13:35
I have rented with By T numerous times. I have only had one problem up to this time which was something the owner needed to take care of and I did not hold By T repsonsible. Unfortunately this time there was a complete misrepresentation of the apartment as shown on their website. I mean to call the place a shit hole would be an insult to shit holes. The representative took me back to their office after I told him there was no way that I could stay there. They kept telling me that since I was cancelling their would be a fee and I said I was not cancelling that the place was a shit hole. We kept arguing and I told them if they had current pictures of the apartment no one would rent the apartment. They were not much help and kept saying saying they would have their quality department go back and look at the place. My only thought was where the fuck was there quality department when this place became a shadow of its former self. They did recognize that I was a long time customer with over ten rentals to my credit and they gave me the standard high level of Argentine service. That means they did not do shit. I did get a manager to go back over and look at the entrance to the place which looks like it is out of war zone. It was priceless in that he did get a look of disbelief but continued with the company policy. If you decide to rent with them make sure you take a camera with you. I wish I had because I would have posted the pics on numerous websites showing the reality and what they advertised.

Snowbird
10-06-08, 23:57
By T has contacted me after my numerous e-mails and says there quality department has inspected the unit and they will refund the majority of my money.

It leaves me holding the bag on the rental fee and about $20.00 for the unit.

Although better than their original offer the unit on their website needs the pictures updated because their is no comparison between the pics and the reality.

Sportsman
10-07-08, 00:12
By T has contacted me after my numerous e-mails and says there quality department has inspected the unit and they will refund the majority of my money.

Although better than their original offer the unit on their website needs the pictures updated because their is no comparison between the pics and the reality.Care to share with us which apartment it is so we know to aviod it?

Thanks

Joe Vato
10-07-08, 02:18
In January I made a deposit for an apartment in Recoleta. In April I was contacted by them that the owner wanted the apartment back. I really doubt this since I think they were able to rent it for more since apartments were a little scarce during the July time frame that I needed. They offered me other apartments but we are talking about several hundred dollars more in price. I think they run a scam this way. No problem getting the deposit back since I contacted my credit card company. If I had sent cash then I think it would of been a different story. BTW, never send cash to anyone in Argentina. Avoid this company. I recommend BA home rental. Great apartments all over town at good prices. Have rented from them several times in the past and never a problem.

MCSE
10-07-08, 03:40
I recommend BA home rental.I recommend BARTS. I would never, ever, contact any other rental agency when staying in Buenos Aires

Member #3320
10-07-08, 03:43
In January I made a deposit for an apartment in Recoleta. In April I was contacted by them that the owner wanted the apartment back. I really doubt this since I think they were able to rent it for more since apartments were a little scarce during the July time frame that I needed. They offered me other apartments but we are talking about several hundred dollars more in price. I think they run a scam this way. No problem getting the deposit back since I contacted my credit card company. If I had sent cash then I think it would of been a different story. BTW, never send cash to anyone in Argentina. Avoid this company. I recommend BA home rental. Great apartments all over town at good prices. Have rented from them several times in the past and never a problem.What is BA home rental?

Joe Vato
10-07-08, 20:52
BA home rental is a Wed site with apartments and homes to rent in Buenos Aires. Have used them a few times in the past and never a problem. Just another option to have at hand.

Zephyr
10-08-08, 01:25
I rented twice from BYT two years ago, everything was as advertised and had no problems, paid online and a car was waiting for me at the airport.

Sorry you had a bad experience, mine was great.

Zephyr

Miami Bob
10-08-08, 02:44
I rented from them maybe 5 or 6 times. All were basically very good experiences at good prices with reasonably good customer service by Argentine standards They expanded last year and moved.

The employees that I knew were gone and replaced by bozos. I stopped using them because the service went down. Expanding too quickly can do this. WE all remember what happened to apartmentsBA. But, we all wish Saint the best of luck.

None of the agencies who regularly post on this board would intentional do anything but provide good service. Sometimes shit happens, but that's when you need good customer service. Reynolds is the only service not regularly on this board that I use with confidence.

Our webmaster, JACKSON, runs an agency which provides a great organization and service and he will direct you elsewhere if he can't meet your needs. Dealing with the boss has been the most hassle-free experiences that I have had renting in BA. BADMAN and BARTS are the other obvious choices.

Moore
10-08-08, 02:59
As I posted several months ago, my single experience with BYT in April was quite positive in terms of value, quality, service and representation. But I will keep all of these comments in mind for my next trip.

Lunico
10-08-08, 03:21
As recently as a year ago I had good service and the lady who checked me out of the apt in Palermo was a hot MILF. Too bad service has gone down hill.

Snowbird
10-09-08, 23:03

Although better than their original offer the unit on their website needs the pictures updated because their is no comparison between the pics and the reality.They dropped this apartment from their website. It was on Peron.

WorldTravel69
10-10-08, 13:50
I have always used them.

I have had only minor problems, not with the company, but with cheap owners.

I stayed two months at a studio apartment on Arenales at Cerrito in March and April. It is a nice apartment and area and I had no problems.

Snowbird
10-10-08, 23:19
I have always used them.

I have had only minor problems, not with the company, but with cheap owners.

I stayed two months at a studio apartment on Arenales at Cerrito in March and April. It is a nice apartment and area and I had no problems.It is not that they are not a company that can deliver a nice apartment.

It is more a warning that if you have a problem you have to push really hard to get them to step up to the plate and make amends. It was only after my repeated efforts with them in that the apartment was no longer anything like they show on the internet and that the entrance looked really scary. If they had pictures of the entrance and the apartment as it currently appears I doubt anyone would ever rent it. Just beware if they do not show the entrance to the building there could be a good reason for this.

Zephyr
10-11-08, 03:46
Was the apartment they dropped on Peron and Talcahuano?

If so it is the one I rented, didn't look goodfrom the street but was huge inside.

Zephyr

Snowbird
10-20-08, 22:49
Was the apartment they dropped on Peron and Talcahuano?

If so it is the one I rented, didn't look goodfrom the street but was huge inside.

ZephyrYes the apartment was huge but in very poor repair and appearance.

I think most people would be afraid to go up those dark stairs to an apartment that almost looks abandoned. I cannot imagine anyone renting this apartment if they see the entrance and what it looks like now. There are to many other choices for another $30.00 USD a week that provide a real entrance, internet services, and an elevator. In addition the street that it is on appears also to be a little bit rough. Travel one block closer to the main street and the building look and related businesses look much better.

BigMic
01-31-09, 20:02
Very good experience with this first time rental. Looking at Congreso area alternatives for a last minute trip after finding out that my usual hotel was not available for all the days I wanted. Not much available so opted for this large, 400 sq. Ft. 2 bedroom unit on an historic, quiet side street built to resemble a Paris Street. Top floor unit in a gorgeous, well maintained century old building, recently upgraded for $625 per week. Easy to set up and staff very responsive and friendly. Already booked with them for my next trip. Wish I'd discovered earlier this much more quiet and private alternative to your regular hotel rooms.

WorldTravel69
12-18-14, 14:11
Over the years I have rented with this company about 11 times.

Some places were good, some were not.

They now have new short stay rentals.

http://www.bytargentina.com/newsletters/newsletter-diciembre2014_en.html

http://www.bytargentina.com/