PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3g in Argy?

Mejorahora
07-14-08, 08:34
Has the iphone 3g arrived and available in Argentina yet? Also does anyone know the price plans etc?

I am coming back to Argy in a month or so and want to know if it is best to hold off getting one of these until I get there.

Cheers

Schmoj
07-14-08, 12:32
Has the iphone 3g arrived and available in Argentina yet? Also does anyone know the price plans etc?

I am coming back to Argy in a month or so and want to know if it is best to hold off getting one of these until I get there.

CheersDon't even think about buying electronics here. Most products cost more than in the US or Europe.

Mejorahora
07-14-08, 19:41
Don't even think about buying electronics here. Most products cost more than in the US or Europe.Yeah, but with the iphone 3g I think it is going to be different. The actual handset is supposed to be a fixed maximum price of $199 wherever in the world. I know that Claro is the distributor in Argentina. Was just interested if anyone had seen their price plans for them yet.

Chowder
07-14-08, 20:21
Yeah, but with the iphone 3g I think it is going to be different. The actual handset is supposed to be a fixed maximum price of $199 wherever in the world. I know that Claro is the distributor in Argentina. Was just interested if anyone had seen their price plans for them yet.I don't know about that $199 price whereever in the world. I do know that's the price in the US, because AT & T is subsidizing the phone with a two year contract. In the US you have to sign the contract and activate the phone at the store. I don't have an iPhone, but I've been reading about it for the last month.

Chowder
07-14-08, 21:03
Yeah, but with the iphone 3g I think it is going to be different. The actual handset is supposed to be a fixed maximum price of $199 wherever in the world. I know that Claro is the distributor in Argentina. Was just interested if anyone had seen their price plans for them yet.PS. I don't mean to imply that the iPhone won't be cheaper here in Argentina, but that it may not be the $199 price which is the Apple / ATT neogiated price. The phone could be more or less than $199.

Thomaso276
07-14-08, 22:35
Don't forget to add the 21% VAT to the phone and the contract! And I cannot see how the phone cost will not include import duties.

Rock Harders
07-15-08, 00:50
Mongers-

I can almost guarantee that there will be no $199 USD I-phone for sale in Argentina. There is a 50 % import tax on ALL electronics that are not made in Argentina. Products from Mercosur countries are taxed less but often retailers jack up the prices to match other imported electronics. My guess is that the smallest I-Phone (8GIG) will go for somewhere between $1800- $2000 AR at a minimum, plus the data plans ($60 AR per month is what they charge for the BlackBerry) plus the usual phone minutes. The even worse kicker here is that Claro (formerly CTI) has the exclusive contract and they are the worst service provider in Argentina (Movistar and Personal are much better) In addition, most people are not going to even need or use the 3G network, so go buy a first generation I-Pod, update it to the 2.0 firmware, unlock it, and you have the same thing as the new 3g IPhone minus the 3G network. You can easily get an unlock I-Phone in Asuncion (I bought one back in April)

Suerte,

Rock Harders