PDA

View Full Version : Bringing computers and electronics through customs

Admin
01-01-00, 01:00

Damman
08-11-08, 15:03
Have read where bringing in computer stuff / electronic equipment can be of some concern through customs. Specifically, home wifi thing: LINK. Bringing an old lap top and Iphone and can use them both with the LINK thing. Am told the apartment has Internet and not so sure of what type connector, but cross that bridge when I get there. What the hell did I do before the Internet?

Thanks

Punter 127
08-11-08, 15:52
Have read where bringing in computer stuff / electronic equipment can be of some concern through customs. Specifically, home wifi thing: LINK. Bringing an old lap top and Iphone and can use them both with the LINK thing. Am told the apartment has Internet and not so sure of what type connector, but cross that bridge when I get there. What the hell did I do before the Internet?

ThanksI bring all that stuff plus, all they have ever ask is if it was for me, when I replied it was for my use, they waved me on. I've taken all my addictive electronics into Argentina about 15 times now.

I think when they see 2 or 3 or more of the same thing then they may push the issue.

Daddy Rulz
08-11-08, 22:44
Was a desktop with monitor, 2 laptops, a razor, 2 wireless playstation controllers and about 20 USB memory thingys. The guys asked me what it was, I said it was mine. Off I went.

You can also try another trick I have used several times. If the light is red and they direct you to the scanners, look for the one where the chabon looking at the screen is checking out the ass of the girl working next to him and just walk right through. I've never once been stopped doing that but my plan was to be the stupid Norte Americano that doesn't understand Spanish if anybody said anything.

I swear, not that I would advocate it, but you could bring 500 lbs of crank through EZE and nobody would notice, customs is a joke.

You can buy any connectors you need at the Galaria at Tucoman and Florida.

Mike Cockburn
08-11-08, 23:06
I have brought 2 notebooks, and some electronic equipment (router wifi, palms, etc) I think you can bring how much you want, as long as the stuff is yours and is not new (unopened)

When I went to Ciudad del este (a tax free city in Paraguay). They told me to throw away the box of the camera I bought, In a way to evade the border-tax. (the free limit is quite low). They can't charge border-tax on stuff that isn't new.

Lunico
08-12-08, 01:09
The first time I came to BA I had a laptop, cell phone, handicam, digital camera, tripod, and a tickle me elmo (thats a long story) Customs guy asked me where I was arriving from, Los Angeles, and where I was returning too, Los Angeles, and what was the nature of my visit, tourist. Then he waved me through.

Next time I come down I'm bringing a whole bunch more that that! Heh.

MCSE
08-12-08, 02:40
You can also try another trick I have used several times. If the light is red and they direct you to the scanners, look for the one where the chabon looking at the screen is checking out the ass of the girl working next to him and just walk right through. Hehe! That one always works!

Damman
01-23-09, 14:33
Thanks for the info. Now, if anyone has any creative ideas to get a flat-screen to AR, I am all ears. The last time I went through customs they did not even look at the monitor when my luggage went through the screener. Missed opportunity.

Seaman
01-23-09, 14:54
Thanks for the info. Now, if anyone has any creative ideas to get a flat-screen to AR, I am all ears. The last time I went through customs they did not even look at the monitor when my luggage went through the screener. Missed opportunity.You can bring one down as long as it fits in your suitcase;)

BUT. If you want to be able to hook it up to the cable TV system here, make sure the tuner supports PAL-N / PAL-Nc. The problem is that only Argentina and Uruguay are using these standards, and that a lot of TV's available in the rest of the world are not supporting it. A lot of "multi-system" TV's support it, but only on the external input, the tuner does not.

Looking at the current prices it makes more sense to buy a TV locally then bringing it down. Why? Well, take a US$1000 TV. Shipping (oversize bag or whatever) US$100+ import duties (if they catch you) 50% of US$1000 (if you are lucky)* US$500 = US$1600. The TV has to support the local TV standard and not break down. If it breaks down, expect to pay a premium to get it repaired down here.

Depending on the size for US$1600 which is ~AR$5500 you can get a decent TV here, with local warranty, and with the guarantee it will work here.

---------

* If you are unlucky the customs agent will not accept your receipt of the TV and will use their standard list with their standard pricing. Most likely the list has the MSRP of the TV. If the MSRP is US$1500 you will pay 50% of that figure.

Damman
01-23-09, 15:11
Seaman: thanks for the sound advice. Will play this one by the numbers. Was in Costco yesterday measuring flat-screens and then over to the luggage department. Back and forth. It was quite a sight. Got to the point where the floor guy was trying to help me with what would work. Customer service at is best.

Thanks

Kevins
01-24-09, 15:12
While the information on PAL is very true it also is relative.

If when here you are going to hook up to direct tv then any tv from the states will connect and work fine.

If you go Multicanal, Cablevision then you will need PAL N but not for direct tv which for a foriegner is probably a better choice any way,

Only with NFL, CNN English and you can contract full NBA and baseball.

Hubbster
08-25-09, 19:33
Thanks for the info. Now, if anyone has any creative ideas to get a flat-screen to AR, I am all ears. The last time I went through customs they did not even look at the monitor when my luggage went through the screener. Missed opportunity.I have a company I use that does audio video install and can get foreign stuff in at decent prices.

http://www.ociopro.com/ociopro.swf ask for Hernan.

As for laptops the trick is to say that you are either a tourist or its for business use.

Damman
05-14-10, 13:05
Arrived yesterday, EZE, and the lines through customs was a cluster fuck. Two inspection terminals were OOS. Custom agents probably have court dates. Now see where there are few changes taking place, everyone has to go through customs: no green light, no cell phone use. Streamlined Argentine style.

http://momento24.com/en/2010/05/13/goodbye-to-the-green-lights-on-customs/

Silver Star
05-15-10, 15:45
Arrived yesterday, EZE, and the lines through customs was a cluster fuck. Two inspection terminals were OOS. Custom agents probably have court dates. Now see where there are few changes taking place, everyone has to go through customs: no green light, no cell phone use. Streamlined Argentine style.

http://momento24.com/en/2010/05/13/goodbye-to-the-green-lights-on-customs/How long did it take you to get through everything and finally get to the public area at EZE? I usually have to wait around 45min-1 hr when I have a pickup from the states. I heard it was getting BAD. I see a lot of Argentines coming in with gigantic flat screen TV´s too, wondering how much they have to pay, and how it can still be worth it.

Fred

www.silverstarcar.com

Sportsman
05-15-10, 17:54
I see a lot of Argentines coming in with gigantic flat screen TV's too, wondering how much they have to pay, and how it can still be worth it.There is a $300 tax free exemption and 50% inport tax on the remainding value. For expample, the inport tax for a $1000 TV is:

($1000-$300)*50%=$350.

In my one experience, the value of the item was based on the invoice I provided to the custom official.

Damman
05-15-10, 18:13
How long did it take you to get through everything and finally get to the public area at EZE? I usually have to wait around 45min-1 hr when I have a pickup from the states.

www.silverstarcar.comTook about 90 minutes. The real problem was with the Divas and their ten tons of luggage. They could not lift shit. They were helpless.

Northsider
09-10-10, 01:08
Just my take on things, but I'd think it wouldn't be too wise to include any small gadget with a battery in your checked bag. It's likely going to be x-rayed along the way, maybe get the attention of the attendant, and maybe the matter will be resolved by the gadget changing ownership;^)

I figure the idea of locks and plastic wrap isn't so much about protecting the stuff inside (sure, easy enough to cut the bag open etc) but about detecting obvious tampering: your bag comes off the belt, you see the lock has been cut or the wrap torn off, you can immediately cry foul to the airline etc.

I usually use small Master-brand luggage padlocks (non-TSA, I figure anyone with connections could get a copy of the key) but sometimes I use small cable ties and cover them with a patch of duct tape.

Wild Walleye
09-10-10, 01:19
In my one experience, the value of the item was based on the invoice I provided to the custom official.I would suspect that a resourceful fellow can provide an invoice that suits his purposes. If the invoice is all english, what % of the customs agents are fluent?

What is the tariff if bring in a used item?

Jaimito Cartero
09-22-10, 20:36
When I came through EZE last week, I was asked repeatedly if I had any NEW computers with me. Looks like they're really trying to keep these out of the market, or at least want some duty out of them. Even asked for make / model of cell phone too.

Wild Walleye
09-23-10, 12:18
When I came through EZE last week, I was asked repeatedly if I had any NEW computers with me. Looks like they're really trying to keep these out of the market, or at least want some duty out of them. Even asked for make / model of cell phone too.Has a section on cellphones. I usually travel with three or four and have been waiting for them to inquire but they haven't yet.

SunSeeker
05-29-12, 11:24
I read online last night that searches at the airport have been stepped up recently due to expats bringing in electronics to sell. Can anyone that went through AEP recently let me know if this is the case and how long did it take to get through the process? I'm arriving next week and as I plan to stay awhile want to bring a lot of my personal things, mostly electronics. Printer, inks and paper, external hard drives, etc. All have data on them and are not new (most at least 3-4 years old).

Any shared experiences appreciated.

Silver Star
05-29-12, 16:03
I read online last night that searches at the airport have been stepped up recently due to expats bringing in electronics to sell. Can anyone that went through AEP recently let me know if this is the case and how long did it take to get through the process? I'm arriving next week and as I plan to stay awhile want to bring a lot of my personal things, mostly electronics. Printer, inks and paper, external hard drives, etc. All have data on them and are not new (most at least 3-4 years old).

Any shared experiences appreciated.I just got back from the states, arrived at EZE, and yes, customs was very tight. You should be OK with any clearly USED items, especially if one of each item and it looks like the item is for personal use. I also expect AEP to be less stringent than EZE, as there is less smuggling potential coming in from AEP. It is also common to ¨grease¨customs discreetly if there is a minor problem.

Fred

Damman
05-29-12, 17:32
Through EZE this AM. Just long lines, too many people not enough staff: EZE SNAFU. Not many electronics, just a truck load of stuff from Trader Joes, no problems. Thought for sure it would raise an eyebrow or two, passed without incident or questions.

SunSeeker
05-29-12, 17:43
Thanks for the info. I'm going to see how much it would cost to ship the stuff here as well. I plan on staying at least 1 year so I want to bring my pc / photography stuff.

Gato Hunter
05-29-12, 22:40
When I came in a few weeks ago they were tearing apart the Argie bags. The chica asked me where I was from and in perfect english I said United States using no spanish. They waved me through and I had two ipads, a laptop and three iphones. In other words they don't care about the gringos bringing their shit to an extent. When in doubt play a stupid gringo.

On the way out I got the good ol "SSSS" on my boarding pass. Before boarding the plane they briefly looked through my bag and had me take my shoes off. I think the guy had a foot fetish cause he smelled my shoes LOL.

Jackson
05-30-12, 01:52
I returned to BA a few days ago. The scene at Immigration and Customs was a cluster fuck. As usual, the tourists were lined up at the kiosk to buy pesos at 3.38, even in spite of the monitors everywhere (including directly above the exchange widow) advising them in English that they could get 4.45 at the Banco National just outside the exit doors.

Anyway, I had several pieces of electronics. 3 cellphones, a laptop, a bunch of odd things for the house, and a pair of 32" TVs. I filled out my customs form showing the cost of the TVs ($298 inc tax for both) , plus $100 of "cositas". At the Xray I volunteered that I had the 2 TVs, the lady asked to see my receipt (in hand) and after a moment's inspection, waived me through.

GatoHunter's advice is correct. Always act like a tourist and only speak English at customs, even if you're a resident.

Thanks,

Jax

Silver Star
05-30-12, 02:18
I returned to BA a few days ago. The scene at Immigration and Customs was a cluster fuck. As usual, the tourists were lined up at the kiosk to buy pesos at 3. 38, even in spite of the monitors everywhere (including directly above the exchange widow) advising them in English that they could get 4. 45 at the Banco National just outside the exit doors.

Anyway, I had several pieces of electronics. 3 cellphones, a laptop, a bunch of odd things for the house, and a pair of 32" TVs. I filled out my customs form showing the cost of the TVs ($298 inc tax for both) , plus $100 of "cositas". At the Xray I volunteered that I had the 2 TVs, the lady asked to see my receipt (in hand) and after a moment's inspection, waived me through.

GatoHunter's advice is correct. Always act like a tourist and only speak English at customs, even if you're a resident.

Thanks,

JaxGreat job Jackson, I tried the same strategy, but gust busted with car parts (a new manifold for my Town Car) , then they saw some (not much electronics). I would have made it if for not the manifold. Had to pay fine.

SunSeeker
06-07-12, 15:53
Arrived at AEP yesterday afternoon from Rio and had no problems coming in with a couple of laptops, cell phones, external hard drives etc. No questions, nada.

Brad Pito
06-23-12, 19:59
When I came in a few weeks ago they were tearing apart the Argie bags. The chica asked me where I was from and in perfect english I said United States using no spanish. They waved me through and I had two ipads, a laptop and three iphones. In other words they don't care about the gringos bringing their shit to an extent. When in doubt play a stupid gringo.

On the way out I got the good ol "SSSS" on my boarding pass. Before boarding the plane they briefly looked through my bag and had me take my shoes off. I think the guy had a foot fetish cause he smelled my shoes LOL.I never had a problem when I tell them I live in the US until my last visit at the end of May. The X-ray customs guy made me take out my laptop and iPad and looked them up and down for a good 5 minutes, he even stared at the serial numbers for a good minute. I offered to turn them on to show they were mine and he said no it is ok just go ahead.

California Jay
09-26-12, 12:10
Is there any restrictions on what I bring?

Thanks for your help.

SunSeeker
09-26-12, 12:40

Thanks for your help.I brought 2 cell phones and 2 laptops through AEP in June and didn't have a problem. In March I was asked about the mini laptop and I said it had my music and spanish lessons on it. Guy then waved me through.

Easy Go
09-26-12, 15:39
If they are personal use, you shouldn't have a problem. If they decide to check you (unlikely but possible) , you'll have a problem if they are new and in the box. Plead ignorance and you are likely to get off with just paying the duty (50% of the value as determined by customs).

Mpexy
09-26-12, 18:42

Thanks for your help.1. Odds are you won't even be checked.

2. If checked, very cursory bag scan in machine

3. If personally opened, pretty vague eyeball look. So just don't have all your electronics in one huge stash in one part of bag, split them up.

4. If asked, be reasonable and never had issue with multiple electronics:

A) as mentioned, never bring in new box, have all unwrapped and with cords folded not new-like twist tied

B) 2 phones is easy. One is my USA phone, other local Argentina number.

C) 3 phones also easy, two of them identical iPhones. One is my work / company issued phone, other personal, third local Argentina phone.

Never brought in two laptops so that seems harder to reasonably explain as personal use. Maybe just say one personal, one business issued. But that may bring up whether you have visa to work in Argentina. Personally I've made 10-12 entry trips into ezeiza since 2005 and never really ran into a guard that cared beyond scan my bag in machine or not.

Gandolf50
09-26-12, 20:11
Two are not a problem. If they even notice, just say one is yours and one is for work. BUT! Two new laptops in their original wrappings. Hopefully no one is that stupid.

Gato Hunter
09-27-12, 00:29
Put iPhones in pocket speak only English, I had my work think pad, an eeepc, ipsd2 iPod iPhone 3, iPhone 4s and a 36 inch flatscreen in the box, no problems. In July.

Ralphy Boyy
12-04-12, 15:22
I read about some of you guys bringing electronics in through EZE customs. Were these things in their original boxes? I'm bringing a new ipad in and I want to keep the box it came in.

Toymann
12-04-12, 15:51
I read about some of you guys bringing electronics in through EZE customs. Were these things in their original boxes? I'm bringing a new ipad in and I want to keep the box it came in.The only problem with having argentine friends is that you end up being a full time electronics mule. LOL. I end up bringing stuff down every trip for my buddies or their families. Have brought down several tablets or the years. My strategy has been to put the tablet in my handheld carry on and the corresponding box in my checked luggage. That said, and maybe I have been just lucky, I have never been questioned at EZE. That said, I travel light with one small bag and a carry on man purse. LOL. My record was bringing down 2 iPads and 1 HP tablet in the same trip. If you unpack the tablets I think you will be fine as it presents the appearance that they have been used. Hope this helps. Toymann

Ralphy Boyy
12-05-12, 13:35
The only problem with having argentine friends is that you end up being a full time electronics mule. LOL. I end up bringing stuff down every trip for my buddies or their families. Have brought down several tablets or the years. My strategy has been to put the tablet in my handheld carry on and the corresponding box in my checked luggage. That said, and maybe I have been just lucky, I have never been questioned at EZE. That said, I travel light with one small bag and a carry on man purse. LOL. My record was bringing down 2 iPads and 1 HP tablet in the same trip. If you unpack the tablets I think you will be fine as it presents the appearance that they have been used. Hope this helps. ToymannThat's a good idea. And even if they do give me a hard time for some reason, I could turn it on for them to show that it's been used. Thanks

Daddy Rulz
12-05-12, 14:04
That's a good idea. And even if they do give me a hard time for some reason, I could turn it on for them to show that it's been used. ThanksIn the last 11 years I've brought enough electronics here to start a small store. I don't bring boxes, just the item, no matter what it is or how many I have I say they are for me. I have had my luggage opened a couple times (when you have a computer in one bag and the keyboard and monitor in another, it's going to show on the XRAY) but I mumbled the first couple line of God Bless America and just stumbled through.

One tip, if you get selected for screening look for the machine with the HOTTEST chick. Then choose the machine to either side of her. There is ZERO chance the chabone on your machine will be watching his screen and not the tits, ass, legs, face of the girl next door.