PDA

View Full Version : Olympics coverage in Argentina

Gato Hunter
08-16-08, 19:30
I have been watching when I can. From what I see the coverage here is very simple. Its just the games. Not all the sad sob story commentary's and the same 5 sports.

Last night I was in Newport watching womens pole vaulting. They would never show that in the US. It was giving me wood, those girls were hot.

Today I saw the 100m blow out live while eating pizza in El Cuartito. It has not even shown in the US yet thanks to the delay.

Some things are better here.

Easy Go
08-16-08, 21:45
Actually, the amount of coverage in the US is overwhelming. There's HD coverage on four channels on my cable system and many systems have two additional HD channels just for basketball and soccer.

Last Saturday, I recorded 32 hours of HD Olympic programming. There's no way to handle the load except with a digital recorder like a Tivo and heavy use of the fast-forward button. I just finished watching the Argentina-Netherlands soccer game. The biggest challenge is avoiding hearing the outcomes before I get to the recording.

Hell, I've seen far more Argentine soccer matches in the US than in Argentina (where the matches are almost all on premium channels) That's another reason that DH lives in Argentina. Less chance of accidentally seeing a soccer game:-)

Argentina is a great place but the USA leads the world in television. It's not even close.

El Perro
08-16-08, 23:12
Hell, I've seen far more Argentine soccer matches in the US than in Argentina (where the matches are almost all on premium channels) That's another reason that DH lives in Argentina. Less chance of accidentally seeing a soccer game:-)I forget what I pay to get all the local futbol matches here, but its next to nothing. In addition, the local sports channels show loads of futbol action from England, Spain, Italy, Mexico and every now and then some play from France. Its a good place to live for tv futbol.

Exon123
08-17-08, 05:07
Olyimpic T. V. Coverage down here sucks.

Exon

Guiller
08-17-08, 09:41
Hi,

My opinion is that it is an effect of market economy: little media coverage means that few people are interested in the Olympic games. Why should the average Argentinian be interested in the games? Argentina never had important athletes and the succesive governments (with the exception of Peron in the 40's) never invested any money in supporting them. The only chances for Argentinians of wining a medal in these games are, mainly, in soccer, basketball and female hockey (three, for a country of almost 40 million people). It would be interesting to have a measurement of the local audience sharing and compare that figure, say, with that of the US, where athletes are top rankend, win medals, and are popular. I guess there would be an order of magnitude in difference (say, 1% as compared to 20%)

On the other hand, the converse is true: when I went to the US for the first time in 1986 I was surprised by the amount of media time devoted to the Olympic games, that I've found so boring! The popularity of sports reflects local history and the cultural values and interest of different societies, in my opinion.

All the best

El Perro
08-17-08, 10:27
I forget what I pay to get all the local futbol matches here, but its next to nothing. In addition, the local sports channels show loads of futbol action from England, Spain, Italy, Mexico and every now and then some play from France. Its a good place to live for tv futbol.I forgot Germany.

Jackson
08-17-08, 15:57
I quit watching the Olympics live many years ago when I read that the networks specifically skewer the coverage to attract women viewers. That's why there's so much coverage of sports that are generally more attractive to women (like gymnastics and ice skating) and less (sometimes minuscule) coverage of more traditional "male" sports, like men's basketball. That's also why you have so fucking much "touchy-feeley" coverage of "the story" behind the athletes.

As one network executive put it "The guys will watch whatever we want to broadcast simply because it's the Olympics, so we design our coverage to attract female viewers."

Well, they lost me with their gynocentric coverage. Now I just wait for the highlight reels.

Thanks,

Jackson

Easy Go
08-17-08, 21:14
I'm shocked that you are so easily influenced by a story. I've told you lots of stories over the years and you usually just tell me I'm full of shit. Must have been Papa Bear that told you that one for you to believe it.:-)

Geo Eye
08-18-08, 18:21
Just one of the many stupid things Argentine do, this have to be some of the most [Deleted by Admin], [Deleted by Admin], [Deleted by Admin] people in the world.

NO, they are the most [Deleted by Admin], and they bad mouth Americans.

Goes no show you what they know.

Schmoj
08-19-08, 22:01
Didn't this chick used to work at Catto's:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/The-hot-Paraguayan-goes-cold-at-Olympics?urn=oly,101791

I'm sure she caught a lot of javelins.

Lunico
08-20-08, 02:01
Schmoj, right girl, wrong photo spread.

http://www.theimproper.com/Template_Article.aspx?IssueId=5&ArticleId=2164

Schmoj
08-20-08, 02:13
schmoj, right girl, wrong photo spread.

http://www.theimproper.com/Template_Article.aspx?IssueId=5&ArticleId=2164Damn, she's got some guns. I know I've seen 'her' at Cocodrillo.

MCSE
08-20-08, 23:48
Gold medal in VaJeline.