PDA

View Full Version : Tandoor - Indian Restaurant

Member #3320
08-24-08, 00:50
I got to know about this somewhat new Indian Restaurant and decided to check it out. Here is my review:

NAME: Tandoor.

TELEPHONE: 4821 -3676

GETTING THERE: By Taxi, Total cost ARS 18 from Las Canitas.

FIRST IMPRESSION: Good, Restaurant was absolutely crowded, not a single seat empty on a Saturday evening.

AMBIENCE: Quite nice. Nothing extraordinary. However, it had a nice lighting and a nice feel to it.

QUALITY OF FOOD: I ordered Seekh kebab as appetizer, Garlic Naan, Chicken Tikka Curry as main course All the 3 items had very authentic taste. They were not very spicy and not lacking in Indian taste. I will give it 7.5/10 for authenticity in serving real Indian food.

Normally, I avoid Deserts but out of curiosity I ordered "kheer". It was quite excellent too.

QUANTITY OF FOOD: Quite decent. The appetizer and main course were both in good quantity and could easily be shared by 2 people.

SERVICE: The service was just about Ok. I found the waiter serving me a bit aggressive & rude but perhaps the pressure of the crowd took the better of him. He even demanded a tip even before I paid the bill! This is the first time, I ever experienced being asked for a tip directly by the waiter after having traveled over 100 countries.

They had all men serving as waiters. This i found negative. In hotel industry and in a country like Argentina, its best to have beautiful polite girls as waitresses.If the waitresses are nice and pleasant, it helps in overlooking ordinary food!!

CROWD: Lot of locals, lot of American & Europe expats. Did not see anyone from Asia at all.

OWNER: He seemed to be a young smart guy on his feet all the time taking care of each of the customers personally.

OVERALL RATING: Good.

PRICING: My overall expenditure was 103 ARS. This included 2 cervezas.

TRIVIA: Had a extensive menu of wines and Indian drinks.

WILL I EAT THERE AGAIN?

Yes, definitely. Absolutely no issues with food. The food was fresh, hot, well cooked.

WILL I RECOMMEND THIS PLACE?

Hmm, only if you have experience of eating Indian food or you like food which is spicy or you just want to try out authentic Indian food at least once.

This place is NOT recommended for Mr MCSE.

ENJOY BA

Gipse
08-24-08, 17:33
Mr. Capitan,

I have walked by this place a couple of times but decided not to go in. The ambience looked great but the size of the place and the crowd discouraged me from partaking. Both times I ended up at Kutmandu. The food, the place, the service is always to my liking.

After reading this report I may yet true it. Can you please compare the two place (Tandoor & Kutmandu) for me.

Thanks

Member #3320
08-24-08, 18:25
Mr. Capitan,

I have walked by this place a couple of times but decided not to go in. The ambience looked great but the size of the place and the crowd discouraged me from partaking. Both times I ended up at Kutmandu. The food, the place, the service is always to my liking.

After reading this report I may yet true it. Can you please compare the two place (Tandoor & Kutmandu) for me.

ThanksGipse,

I have not eaten in Kathmandu as yet. However, I have eaten in "Mumbai", the sister restaurant of "Kathmandu". I have even posted a review of "mumbai".

All in all, food of "tandoor" is far superior in taste than that of "Mumbai". The prices of Tandoor are higher than Mumbai. The ambience of tandoor is better than Mumbai.

However, the waiters and staff of Mumbai are 10 times more polite than than that of Tandoor.

Hope this helps

Argento
08-25-08, 10:06
Gipse,

I have not eaten in Kathmandu as yet. However, I have eaten in "Mumbai", the sister restaurant of "Kathmandu". I have even posted a review of "mumbai".

All in all, food of "tandoor" is far superior in taste than that of "Mumbai". The prices of Tandoor are higher than Mumbai. The ambience of tandoor is better than Mumbai.

However, the waiters and staff of Mumbai are 10 times more polite than than that of Tandoor.

Hope this helpsThe food offered at both restaurants is just passable with a push. Both wouldn't know a sophisticated Indian dish if it introduced itself. Neither of them would survive outside of Argentina with the food they serve. It is bland, presentation is so precious and the portions are ridiculously small. (note the way the rice is presented if at all) The rule of thumb always applies in this city. Eat local food items in neighborhood restaurants. You will get bored for sure but it beats the hell out of eating mediocre food at ridiculous prices and going home hungry.

Argento

Member #3320
08-25-08, 12:36
The food offered at both restaurants is just passable with a push. Both wouldn't know a sophisticated Indian dish if it introduced itself. Neither of them would survive outside of Argentina with the food they serve. It is bland, presentation is so precious and the portions are ridiculously small. (note the way the rice is presented if at all) The rule of thumb always applies in this city. Eat local food items in neighborhood restaurants. You will get bored for sure but it beats the hell out of eating mediocre food at ridiculous prices and going home hungry.

ArgentoDamn! It sounds as if you lived all your life in India eating Indian food! Wow, you seem to be a master of Indian food!

Gipse
08-25-08, 14:44
I wouldn't know authentic tasting Indian food even if it hits me in the mouth. My palate for Indian food was developed later in life from eating in Indian restaurants in the west. So for my money, the food at these restaurants tastes pretty good.

Jackpot
08-25-08, 21:38
Very well stated Argento!

The two are a TOTAL ripoff for substandard indian food.

Save your money and buy a bag of curry powder and go to.

A Tenador Libre and chow down.

Bon Appetite.

Jackpot

Rock Harders
08-26-08, 02:37
Mongers-

I ate at this establishment about 2 weeks ago and I found it to be a nice dining experience with an impressive level of spiciness. I ordered a fish appetizers and had a chicken dish for the main course, and I requested that both be made to the maximum level of spiciness. Both dishes were quite delicious, and spicy enough that I had to drink water afterwards. I also thought the pricing was quite fair, and definitely did not find the waiters offensive or inadequate. I met the owner (an Indian guy) before at my office and he is a nice guy running a fine establishment in my opinion.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Gato Hunter
08-26-08, 05:52
I ate at Mumbai, about 2 weeks ago.

It was like the McDonald's of Indian food.

There are not enough Indians, or Chinese in BA to make good food. I had the same problem in Salt Lake City trying to find good Chinese food.

I have many friends that are Seik Indians, yes they carry a small dagger. I eat a good home cooked vegetarian Indian meal about once every few weeks.

When in Rome do you eat Chinese? Eat a steak.

The best places I think are the Indian places that have been certified Kosher.

I trust the Rabbis more than I would trust any food inspector, and I am not a Jew.

MCSE
08-27-08, 00:50
I ate at Mumbai, about 2 weeks ago.

It was like the McDonald's of Indian food.

There are not enough Indians, or Chinese in BA to make good food. I had the same problem in Salt Lake City trying to find good Chinese food.

I have many friends that are Seik Indians, yes they carry a small dagger. I eat a good home cooked vegetarian Indian meal about once every few weeks.

When in Rome do you eat Chinese? Eat a steak.

The best places I think are the Indian places that have been certified Kosher.

I trust the Rabbis more than I would trust any food inspector, and I am not a Jew.I agree again!

Aqualung
08-27-08, 02:21
I wouldn't know authentic tasting Indian food even if it hits me in the mouth. My palate for Indian food was developed later in life from eating in Indian restaurants in the west. So for my money, the food at these restaurants tastes pretty good.I have also never been to or eaten in India and my first experience with Indian food was at an Indian restaurant in Bangor North Wales in the late 60's so I can't argue with you "experienced" guys.

All I know is that I enjoyed what I paid for so as far as I'm concerned and in my ignorance - What the fuck!

BadMan
08-27-08, 02:53
Amen brother,

I have had Indian cuisine, in Northern California, I have never once been to India and have never had authentic Indian cuisine there either. So how the hell would I know, If I like what was served, that is all that matters.

Regards,

BM.
I have also never been to or eaten in India and my first experience with Indian food was at an Indian restaurant in Bangor North Wales in the late 60's so I can't argue with you "experienced" guys.

All I know is that I enjoyed what I paid for so as far as I'm concerned and in my ignorance - What the fuck!