PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar Bar- A beer destination?

Smuler
08-29-08, 01:02
Greetings,

Since we are speaking so well about craft beers in Buenos Aires.

This location has popped up in some beer homework that I have been doing.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this place?

I think the address is in San Telmo:

Peru 895

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/gibraltar-bar-buenos-aires.html

Best Regards.

Smuler

El Perro
08-29-08, 09:49
Greetings. Since we are speaking so well about craft beers in Buenos Aires.

This location has popped up in some beer homework that I have been doing.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this place?

I think the address is in San Telmo:

Peru 895

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/gibraltar-bar-buenos-aires.html

Best Regards.

SmulerSmuler-I go to Gibralter alot. Unfortunately, I'll drink pretty much any beer put in front of me, so I'm no expert. But, they have a wide range of brew on tap and by the bottle. There is stout, a pale ale of sorts and many others. In addition, its an interesting place, with good food, good music and a pool table. The clientele tends to be pretty young in general but with oldies mixed in. I would recommend a Sunday as it is less crowded and more laid back. Friday and Saturday nights can be madness with a line to get in after 10:30 or 11. They open at 6 every day.

Julio
08-29-08, 10:32
Unfortunately, I'll drink pretty much any beer put in front of me, so I'm no expert. But someone told me Budweisser was your favorite beer... :)

Smuler
08-29-08, 11:13
Thanks Dogg.

Looks like another location that I can check out, along with Cruzat.

Any other places that you can think of?

Best Regards.

Smuler

El Perro
08-29-08, 12:02
But someone told me Budweisser was your favorite beer.:)I forgot about that. Well, I will drink Bud if there is absolutely nothing else to be had. For a really bad time, drink Bud and smoke the local weed.;)

El Perro
08-29-08, 12:09
Thanks Dogg.

Looks like another location that I can check out, along with Cruzat.

Any other places that you can think of?

Best Regards.

SmulerGibralter is my favorite in San Telmo. There have been alot of new places opening in the past few months, but I haven't sampled many of them. If I find a diamond I'll let you know. I did drop in to a new place recently on Pasaje San Lorenzo that featured a gorgeous 20 year old Brasiliana behind the bar. The brew wasn't anything special though.

Smuler
08-29-08, 12:27
Please let me know if you find any other quality beer destinations.

I went to Van Koning in Las Canitas last time, (actually hoping to hook up with some smoke) They had some microbrew quality, and since this place was only a couple blocks from my apartment, I gave it a shot.

You ever been there Dogg?

Best Regards.

Smuler

El Perro
08-29-08, 12:51
Please let me know if you find any other quality beer destinations.

I went to Van Koning in Las Canitas last time, (actually hoping to hook up with some smoke) They had some microbrew quality, and since this place was only a couple blocks from my apartment, I gave it a shot.

You ever been there Dogg?

IBest Regards.

SmulerI was at Van Koning maybe close to two years ago. I don't get out to Las Canitas much. There used to be a restaurant / disco across the street that was done up to resemble a USA style disco from the 70's. Something "Orange" or "Orange" something, I forget. It had a "Mod Squad" motif with a cheeky, afroed black chick as a hostess. Interesting place but gone with the wind.

Smuler
08-29-08, 15:07
Dogg,

You sure that it wasn't Soul Cafe?

I am actually looking on a bulletin board in my office at the sticker.

I went there with Badman last year.

Best Regards,

Smuler

El Perro
08-29-08, 16:16
Dogg.

You sure that it wasn't Soul Cafe?

I am actually looking on a bulletin board in my office at the sticker.

I went there with Badman last year.

Best Regards.

SmulerYeah, that's the place. Where did I get "orange" from? Its closed though, right? Maybe I'll have to trek on over to that neck of the woods again.

As for more beer joints, there is another place, on Estados Unidos, between Bolivar and Peru. Very close to Gibralter. I forget the name. It's run by a guy from Germany but has lived here for a long time. He speaks some english. Lotsa brews. A place to do a looksee if you are in the neighborhood. You can't miss it, its the only bar on that block.

Smuler
08-29-08, 16:30
Dogg,

Soul Cafe.

Baez 246

4778-3115

Since I am sitting in NYC, maybe you can check to see if indeed they are dead.

Thanks for the information regarding the other bar.

Smuler

Jes1959
08-30-08, 00:00
These two bartenders are hot, proficient and I heard them both speak basic english to some tourists. Did I say hot. Spinners. Damn.

I arrived around 6 pm, cost me 12 pesos by taxi from tucuman y montevideo. Not many people there. Beautiful lass with negro pello pointed out it was happy hour. I drank what I could. They ran out of several drafts during the night and they were not replaced. Did I mention how nice those two bartenders asses were making change in the register.

Looked at my watch and it was 7 pm, and the line for beers was 5 deep. The two lasses with the nice asses, they kept me busy.

Had the red curry noodles for 20 pesos. Nothing to write home about.

The strongest beer was listed at 6%.

This place filled up quickly with locals and tourists. Good ambiance, happy hour every day until 10 pm. What is not to like. It is out of the way for me so I probably will not return. Did I mention, two hot bartenders.

Jes

El Perro
08-30-08, 00:20
These two bartenders are hot, proficient and I heard them both speak basic english to some tourists. Did I say hot. Spinners. Damn.

I arrived around 6 pm, cost me 12 pesos by taxi from tucuman why montevideo. Not many people there. Beautiful lass with negro pello pointed out it was happy hour. I drank what I could. They ran out of several drafts during the night and they were not replaced. Did I mention how nice those two bartenders asses were making change in the register.

Looked at my watch and it was 7 pm, and the line for beers was 5 deep. The two lasses with the nice asses. Kept me busy.

Had the red curry noodles for 20 pesos. Nothing to write home about.

The strongest beer was listed at 6%.

This place filled up quickly with locals and tourists. Good ambiance, happy hour every day until 10 pm. What is not to like. It is out of the way for me so I probably will not return. Did I mention, two hot bartenders.

JesGeez, did I forget to mention the sweet little dewdrop bartenderesses?;) In addition to everything else about the place, there are some local chicas and backpacking chicas looking for some action. Many of them at a tender age for Doggboy, though I have got lucky there before.

5 deep at the bar. Like I said, avoid Friday and Saturday nights unless you like waiting and getting sardined. Early Friday night also attracts some irritating, happy hour yuppie types who can't shoot pool or drink beer.

Jes1959
08-30-08, 00:29
There is a pool table? Damn those two bartenders. Sweet. Dulce. Spinners. Ojos grandes. I need to look in the corners next time.

El Perro
08-30-08, 00:38
There is a pool table? Damn those two bartenders. Sweet. Dulce. Spinners. Ojos grandes. I need to look in the corners next time.If you walk back through the kitchen there is large room with a pool table, tables, chairs and smoking allowed. Beyond that is an fairly small outdoor area where you can eat if you like, and whisper sweet nothings in the ear of the big eyed girl of your choice.

BTW-the prices listed for happy hour in your picture have nearly doubled in less than three years.

I take that back-they have definitely doubled.

Smuler
08-30-08, 02:06
Look what a little beer talk can getcha?

Other than bicycling and smoking, that is what I look for in a vacation destination. Along with chicas.

Can you locals please comment on San Telmo @ night?

I only went there on a Sunday afternoon for the fair.

I know it was touristy. But it was my 2nd day in BA last year, and I liked the area. But I (probably mistakenly) understood that it was dicey in the dark.

Best Regards.

Smuler

El Perro
08-30-08, 11:33
Look what a little beer talk can getcha?

Other than bicycling and smoking, that is what I look for in a vacation destination. Along with chicas.

Can you locals please comment on San Telmo @ night?

I only went there on a Sunday afternoon for the fair.

I know it was touristy. But it was my 2nd day in BA last year, and I liked the area. But I (probably mistakenly) understood that it was dicey in the dark.

Best Regards.

SmulerHey Smuler,

Sorry to half monopolize the thread, but I have lived in San Telmo for quite awhile. IMHO it is not dodgy at night and hasn't been for the past few years. In fact, the more popular areas in San Telmo are full of people at night, so you don't contend with empty streets and bad apples lurking in the alley. There are a number of hot spots in San Telmo with the intersection of Chile and Defensa being one, and the area surrounding Dorrego Square another. But those don't comprise all the places you would want to try out. Though a good place to start. And yes, there are tourists here, but locals make up most of the nightlife.

For you mongers who come into town and limit your rambling around to the usual suspects, you are doing yourselves a disfavor by not sampling the San Telmo nightlife. If, on the other hand, you have only interest in the more upscale, and in my opinion a little sterile, areas like Las Canitas, then San Telmo might not be for you. Hey, nothing against Las Canitas, it definitely has merit, but its a big city!

Smuler
08-30-08, 11:56
Thanks Dogg. For the reply about San Telmo.

I was going to stay @ the " Cocker" last year.

Ave. Juan de Garay 458

I found it in Conde Nast traveler magazine as one of the top 50 places to stay in the world.

I had the suite on the top floor / with my own patio.

I had dreams of fucking on the patio at night with chica visitors.

But then, the owners stated that they do not allow visitors!

I then decided to stay in Las Canitas (because of the park)

I also went to a place called Abril for lunch.

Balcarce 722

Dogg...I think that this place is close to the intersection of Chile/ Defensa ??

Great food. Too bad I had no idea what I ordered LOL.

I thought it was a dicey area, because they kept the door locked, even at lunch....you had to knock , then a waiter would come over to let you in..

Best Regards.

Smuler

El Perro
08-30-08, 12:13
Thanks Dogg. For the reply about San Telmo.

I was going to stay @ the " Cocker" last year.

Ave. Juan de Garay 458

I found it in Conde Nast traveler magazine as one of the top 50 places to stay in the world.

I had the suite on the top floor / with my own patio.

I had dreams of fucking on the patio at night with chica visitors.

But then, the owners stated that they do not allow visitors!

I then decided to stay in Las Canitas (because of the park)

I also went to a place called Abril for lunch.

Balcarce 722

Dogg. I think that this place is close to the intersection of Chile / Defensa?

Great food. Too bad I had no idea what I ordered LOL.

I thought it was a dicey area, because they kept the door locked, even at lunch. You had to knock, then a waiter would come over to let you in.

Best Regards.

SmulerRighto-Balcarce 722 is very near Chile and Defensa. As for the locked doors at lunch, I think that some of the nicer places do that to keep the panhandlers from intruding on the guests.

WorldTravel69
04-15-10, 17:41
My Profesora says it is a great Bar.

Fish and chips sounds great to me. They also have Curry.

http://argentina-travel.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_gibraltar_peru_895_san_telmo_buenos_aires

Schmoj
04-15-10, 22:27
My Profesora says it is a great Bar.

Fish and chips sounds great to me. They also have Curry.

http://argentina-travel.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_gibraltar_peru_895_san_telmo_buenos_airesI tend to drink here a lot. It's the closest thing to a "real" bar I've found in BsAs. By this, I mostly mean that you can easily sit AT the bar and get drunk.

Of course the service behind the bar is still Argentine, but the clientele is a good mix of locals (native and expat) and tourists. They have the standard middle of the road beers (Warsteiner, Schneider, etc. They have a 2-1 happy hour and if memory serves correctly, the pints are from 12-20 pesos.

The food is good. The curries are actually very spicy.

Hell, I think I'll go there now.

Cheers,

S

WorldTravel69
04-16-10, 08:26
My profesora likes the place, because most of the guys are in her age group. If you are ask for Profesora Laura, Not Laura, but Lau r'a I added and accent because that is how you say her name Argentinian name. She can teach you how to say in Argentinean Espanol. She helped me, but I am a Dummy. Check the teacher Thread.

Jackson and I got there late, we went to TL's Alliance.

Check this out Sydney is back. More to come.

I tend to drink here a lot. It's the closest thing to a "real" bar I've found in BsAs. By this, I mostly mean that you can easily sit AT the bar and get drunk.

Of course the service behind the bar is still Argentine, but the clientele is a good mix of locals (native and expat) and tourists. They have the standard middle of the road beers (Warsteiner, Schneider, etc. They have a 2-1 happy hour and if memory serves correctly, the pints are from 12-20 pesos.

The food is good. The curries are actually very spicy.

Hell, I think I'll go there now.

Cheers,

S