PDA

View Full Version : Captain's list of exciting non-pro bars in BA

Member #3320
09-24-08, 17:29
Ocho Siete Ocho.
878 Thames.
Palermo Soho.
4773-1098

Beyond cool, 878 is currently in vogue as the city's hippest, formerly underground, nightspot. The bar doesn't have a sign on the door, but if you ring the doorbell of 878, a waitress will let you into an expansive room with high ceilings with exposed beams. Despite its secret, almost speakeasy entrance, the atmosphere inside isn't intimidating. The bar's drink menu is practically a bible. If you can't pick your poison, one of the bartenders will serve you up something delicious.

Bangalore.
Humbolt 1416
Palermo Hollywood.
4779-2621

An English-style pub, Bangalore serves up authentic Indian food, cold drafts and enough good cheer to put any weary monger back on his feet. Particularly popular with long-term expats, the bar brings in a good mix to its picnic tables that straddle the sidewalk out front. Located around the corner from Niceto Club, the pub is a great place to start off a Buenos Aires night of debauchery.

Bar 6
Armenia 1676
Palermo Viejo.
4833 6807
http://www.barseis.com/

Good drinks, an intimate space, and located in the heart of Palermo, Bar 6 is a classic. Its high-ceilings and big windows compliment the posh vibe that comes with the elegant and attractive clientele. Start here with a few friends from AP and a few cocktails and groove to the DJ's beats.

Bar Abierto
J.L. Borges 1613
Palermo Viejo
4833-7640

While its food is fairly mediocre, the drinks are good and the space itself is very bright and welcoming during the day or the long Buenos Aires nights. Bar Abierto is a good place to go to indulge in some casual beers with your buddies from AP.

Bar Seddon
Defensa 695
San Telmo
4342-3700

A pharmacy in the nineteenth-century, today this classic Buenos Aires cafe, restaurant, and bar is open for lunch, dinner, and late into the night. The live music is standard, good techno beats and remixed pop, the ambiance extremely friendly, with lots of hostelers and Argentines, and the food excellent; three reasons that this is one of the must see bars in San Telmo.

La Cigale
Av. 25 de Mayo 722
Centro
4312-8275

A supposedly French-themed bar, La Cigale, which means cicada (you know, the bug) is more reminiscent of a lounge bred with a grungy LA bar. Cultural confusion aside, this is the place to be on Tuesday. The cocktails are strong and the DJs on the weekends mix until the small hours. Red leather booths let couples get cozy. A long bar provides intimate attentions from the bartenders.

Note: the lines here can wrap around the block.

Green Bamboo
Costa Rica 5802
Palermo Hollywood
4775-7050
http://www.green-bamboo.com.ar

The cocktails at Green Bamboo are so undeniably inventive and luscious that even dedicated wine worshipers get loopy on ginger, mint, and lemon concoctions. A tiny spot, the superchic resto-bar has the perfect vibe for a dinner for two. Take your new/current girlfriend ( non-pro ONLY please).

Gibraltar
Peru 895
San Telmo
4362-5310

A sister pub to Bangalore, Gibraltar is one of the most English pubs in Buenos Aires. Its hugely popular with expats but sees a fair share of Argentine regulars. The Indian food is spicy, the barman speaks English and there's a pool table. Crowded and loud, there isn't much room to maneuver, but who needs to maneuver when you are sandwiched between good looking chicas from Australia and South Africa?

Le Bar
Tucuman 422
Centro
5219-0858

The hottest new bar in town. A martini lounge and restaurant, this ultra-chic hot spot was started by two French expatriates to introduce high-end French food to Buenos Aires. With sunken seating, a roof top terrace, towering ceilings and deluxe design, Le Bar is the sophisticate's choice.

Utopia Bar
Serrano 1590
Plaza Serrano, Palermo
4831-8572

One of the many bars situated along the plaza, Utopia has a quirky exterior ambiance as well as good food,the hamburgers and the pizzas are particularly worth a try. It is good place to relax with a friend from AP and a beer or two as the sun sets on the plaza and portenas wait for the dinner hour to commence. Go for people watching Saturday and Sunday, when the fair covers the plaza.

TAZZ
Serrano 1556
Plaza Serrano, Palermo
4833-5164
http://www.tazzbars.com/

Reminiscent of a 50's diner, the walls of TAZZ are lined with vinyl booths but the menu is mostly Mexican. The center of the bar is full of pool tables, all of which will be full by 11 pm on a Friday or Saturday night.

Voodoo
Baez 340
Palermo
4772-2453

Somewhere between a club and a bar, Voodoo has DJs from beyond Buenos Aires and an atmosphere of true cool. It is a place to see people and been seen, whether that be at the bar, on the dance floor, or in one of the lounge chairs.

Sullivan's
El Salvador 4919
Palermo
4832-6442

A huge bar, Sullivans is a two-story Irish pub within stumbling distance of Plaza Serrano, the citys open-air party spot. The size of the place means seats are usually available. BTW, the chocolate pie is excellent.

The Temple Bar
Marcelo T. De Alvear 945
Retiro
4322-0474

One of the many Irish pubs in Buenos Aires, this one is actually worth going to by virtue of its English and Irish beers on tap and its pool table and darts. The waiters do both bar service and table service, so when things get hectic, it can be a bit hard to get a pint or a plate of food. However, the staff and the crowd is friendly and it gets packed on weekends.So be prepared to que at times.

Palermo

Unlike the majority of Palermos bars, Post is small and low key. The walls are covered in sketches and graphic art done by a slew of local artists. Drinks here are extremely reasonably priced for a bar so close to Plaza Serrano and the supply of popcorn is never ending.

The Red Door
Piedras, next to the Tango Hostel at 680 Piedras
San Telmo

Despite the fact that this bar has no sign out front and no name, you can still easily find this bar by its bright red door. Ring the bell and ascend a long staircase to get to this hip little lounge over San Telmo, where you can play pool and chill on comfy couches. It doesnt get crowded until after three am, and when it does its a mix of foreigners and locals in the know. The drinks are good, but dont order the mediocre house wine.

Soul Cafe
Baez 246
Las Canitas
4778-3115

As the name suggests, this bar is home to 70's funk and soul. Attracting a slightly older crowd, this is a place to go if you want to listen to some boogie music with friends and soak up some retro decor. Its got a great, and different vibe from the rest of the bars on Baez St, making this a favorite. The sushi is supposedly pretty good here.( I personally dont do Sushi)

Milion (Captain's personal favorite)
Parana 1048
Recoleta
4815-9925
http://www.milionargentina.com.ar

Tucked away from the street, this turn-of-the-century mansion is an enduring favorite for its elegance, backyard courtyard and terrace and extraordinarily perfect cocktails. With narrow hallways, creaking wood floors and softly lit lighting, Milion is a classy retreat from the masses.

Plaza Dorrego.
Defensa 1098
San Telmo.
4361-0141

As traditionally Argentine as it can be, this classic and historical bar on Plaza Dorrego has a portrait of tango crooner Carlos Gardel, a national hero, on the wall and the names of countless tourists engraved into the woodwork. Right on the corner of the plaza, the bar is an ideal place to stop for a pint during the San Telmo fair on Sundays.

Well, this list basically covers the bar / pub happening scene of BA.

Hope this helps? Looking forward to feedback ( hopefully positive feedback!!). Also detailed reports from you guys on any of these bars if you have already visited or will visit after reading this, will be highly welcome.

Enjoy BA

Dickhead
09-24-08, 18:24
You went to all these places?

Member #3320
09-24-08, 18:37
You went to all these places?I went to many more than these.

Let me guess? You live here 365 days a year and allegedly speak very fluent Castellano, but have not heard or been to most of these places? :-)

Never mind, better late than never.

In my bid to give my return to this forum for the extreme benefits I had from the information here before visiting BA, I will continue providing this forum information on many new night spots in BA.

Enjoy

Dickhead
09-24-08, 18:44
Dang. I haven't been to that many bars in my whole life (okay, I have)

El Perro
09-24-08, 19:51
Damn impressive Captain. I didn't know anybody knew about The Red Door but me.:) Between fucking and hitting bar / restos you are one energetic motherfucker!

Dickhead
09-24-08, 21:49
Well, I live here 300 or more days a year but I am just too old for the bar scene any more (even though I think maybe I'm younger than Doggboy, or somewhere close). I don't know that my castellano is "very" fluent (it's fluent) but that's not a factor. Plus I don't live in the city. When I lived in the city I went to more bars. Truth is, I don't know Palermo all that well. I know most of the bars you posted in El Centro and maybe half the ones in San Telmo. I look at your list and in five years I've been to maybe one out of every three. I used to go to Millon a lot when I lived near there and I still go to Temple Bar since when leaving the Triangle the bus stop to go home is right in front of it and the gravitational pull is strong. I don't like the techno music at night there, though. Some of the Exedra hookers are in there now if anyone cares.

Good job, Captain! Not seeing much competition for the Newcomer of the Year award, right now. Here is my list of good bars in my current neighborhood:

(none)

El Perro
09-24-08, 22:19
Well, I live here 300 or more days a year but I am just too old for the bar scene any more (even though I think maybe I'm younger than Doggboy, or somewhere close) I don't know that my castellano is "very" fluent (it's fluent) but that's not a factor. Plus I don't live in the city. When I lived in the city I went to more bars. Truth is, I don't know Palermo all that well. I know most of the bars you posted in El Centro and maybe half the ones in San Telmo. I look at your list and in five years I've been to maybe one out of every three. I used to go to Millon a lot when I lived near there and I still go to Temple Bar since when leaving the Triangle the bus stop to go home is right in front of it and the gravitational pull is strong. I don't like the techno music at night there, though. Some of the Exedra hookers are in there now if anyone cares.

Good job, Captain! Not seeing much competition for the Newcomer of the Year award, right now. Here is my list of good bars in my current neighborhood:

(none)Yep, it is tough to keep up with the young bucks anymore. Plus, the late night BA hours can bury me the next day. The nights of two to three martinis to get started, followed by a six pack chaser and acting like a maniac have been over for awhile. Even so, I like checking out the new bar talent.

So, keep those reports coming Captain! Let me know the next time you are browsing San Telmo. And, I believe DH is considerably younger than I am. Just because I maintain my matinee idol good looks doesn't mean I'm not falling apart otherwise!;) And DH, thanks for the Temple Bar / Exedra tip. I looked in there last night but it was early. Nothing happening but alot of shitty tunes.

Smuler
09-24-08, 22:59
Captain. Quite a list of places you have visited. I was wondering what you were doing other than the chicas.

Soul Cafe- I liked the place also, but I thought it was closed? Obviously not.

The listings in San Telmo intrigue me. I will certainly have to check it out.

Thanks for The Palermo lists also. As it shouldn't be far from where I will be staying.

Did you go to Van Koning in Las Canitas- Dutch bar. Decent brews.

I also went to Bar Uriarte a couple times.

Best Regards.

Smuler

Member #3320
09-24-08, 23:03
Captain. Quite a list of places you have visited. I was wondering what you were doing other than the chicas.

Soul Cafe- I liked the place also, but I thought it was closed? Obviously not.

The listings in San Telmo intrigue me. I will certainly have to check it out.

Thanks for The Palermo lists also. As it shouldn't be far from where I will be staying.

Did you go to Van Koning in Las Canitas- Dutch bar. Decent brews.

I also went to Bar Uriarte a couple times.

Best Regards.

SmulerSoul Cafe is still open!

I have been to Van Koning, but didnt find it worth mentioning in this list.

Cheers

El Perro
09-25-08, 15:25
We appreciate your list. I have been to few of them because of their distance from the more Monger frequented bars of Recoleta, Barrio Norte, and Micro Center. I have been to: 1. Sullivan's--I rate as average at best, with poor service. 2. Temple Bar-- I rate as below average with loud music, older women, and bad food. 3. Milion--A special case = full of dates doing dinner, many Argie cliques, bad service, but beautiful, and not a pick-up place. A better place, nearby is El Living. Some others you might try previously reviewed bars, Shamrock, Gran Bar Danzon, El Encuentro, Junin 1771, Puerto? Near La Lopez) and The Spot. Personally, I favor El Alamo and the Casa Bar.Yes, an update on The Spot would be nice. I haven't been there in a long time. I always had the impression they would not be around for long, but very little overhead. There used to be a smattering of little dewdrops there, and the barkeep was pretty accomodating. The proverbial hole in the wall with some decent tunes at times.

I still keep and eye on The Shamrock as I pass by the intersection of Arenales and Rodriguez Pena. Still packed to the gills. Strikes me as the Alamo crowd but with a few more years on them and a little more money.

Member #3320
09-25-08, 17:29
Sidney,

I am not sure what exactly you want to say by "we appreciate your list"? Damn!!You almost sound like my ex- School Principal or CEO of a company, I may be working "under"!! :-)

Jokes apart, my list is basically for 27-47 age group on visiting mongers, who may be into pub crawling and want to know about the currently happening "non-mongering" places in Buenos Aires. I personally like to visit non-mongering non-pick-up joints as well, and assume their may be other mongers visiting BA with similar interests & tastes as me and hence I posted the list for them.

I have been to most of the places you mentioned but didn't consider them worth mentioning as some of the places are meant either for teenagers (late teens / early 20's swarming in to get free beer) or absolutely empty pubs for older men (55+) who like it quiet and slow or these places were just not up to the mark as per my viewpoint to make into that list. Or I perhaps forgot to mention them in the list.Or I just didn't get time to visit it.

Nevertheless, I never said that ALL these places have great service or great food or are pick up joints. However, it does not necessarily mean that they are not worthy of being among the top BA pubs, cos of this reason alone.

You are welcome to create your own advisory list & recommendations.

Thanks,

Captain

Gauntlet77
09-28-08, 21:11
Kudos, my friend.

Hopes yo livah holds out!

Glad to see you mentioned the TAZZ in Plaza Serrano. Rockin Bob and I like to go there, shoot pool, guzzle beer and ogle the cute young Portenas leaning over the tables. But I suspect Rockin Bob's biggest reason to go there is to hassle the DJ into playing his favorite makeout music from his misspent youth. Most of his choices make my eyes glaze over. However we both agree on the eternal unrequited love sentiments of "Walk Away Renee" and "Pretty Ballerina" by The Left Banke.

I will always associate the latter song with blue balls and a girl I dated who grew up to become a headline stripper and bit actress. Her boobs have a walk-on part in Good Luck Chuck. No, I'm not referring to Jessica Alba.

Also I should suggest inclusion of my friend's place, the Truman Bar on Bonpland which is re-opening after renovations on October 1. If they're having an opening party, I'll try to get you an invite.

Neo5235
10-06-08, 14:45
Kudos, my friend.

Hopes yo livah holds out!

Glad to see you mentioned the TAZZ in Plaza Serrano. Rockin Bob and I like to go there, shoot pool, guzzle beer and ogle the cute young Portenas leaning over the tables. But I suspect Rockin Bob's biggest reason to go there is to hassle the DJ into playing his favorite makeout music from his misspent youth. Most of his choices make my eyes glaze over. However we both agree on the eternal unrequited love sentiments of "Walk Away Renee" and "Pretty Ballerina" by The Left Banke.

I will always associate the latter song with blue balls and a girl I dated who grew up to become a headline stripper and bit actress. Her boobs have a walk-on part in Good Luck Chuck. No, I'm not referring to Jessica Alba.

Also I should suggest inclusion of my friend's place, the Truman Bar on Bonpland which is re-opening after renovations on October 1. If they're having an opening party, I'll try to get you an invite.This is a a place for the newbies to check out some local scene either before a night of naughtyness or just a change of pace for the night. We went last night as a pre game and was suprised to see so much in the square like utopia and a few others. We wrote down the addresses of a few places then realized they were all right there. Tazz has a great feel and who doesnt like a pool stick and a cold one now and then. Its nice to pay decent prices for a drink and a good time. We went on Sunday because we wanted to go out and knew the game would suck anyway so we planned to pull a girl somewere else late. There were about 6 knockouts in here. All with their little boyfriends but hey it was Sunday and that proves its a good area. I think the bar security was intimidated or something by me though. He kept staring at me regardless of my initial greeting. I think he was waiting for me to do something stupid. I'm a gringo by far though and fairly young plus we were throwin em back pretty good. Had a great time though. THANKS CAPTAIN we followed your guide to cover yet another slice of our pie while on vaca will go to more.

Joe Hernandez
06-24-09, 20:51
Any input on new bars or hot spots?

Lennylennon
09-08-09, 12:01
The Red Door.

Piedras, next to the Tango Hostel at 680 Piedras.

San TelmoIt's called "La Puerta Roja" and it's on the calle "Chacabuco" (733 to be exact)

Member #3320
09-08-09, 15:49
It's called "La Puerta Roja" and it's on the calle "Chacabuco" (733 to be exact)Enjoy!:-)

Mika75
05-09-10, 16:44
Hi,

I'm wondering if this list is still up to date or if there is anotherone on this site (didn't find any but never know).

Member #3320
05-10-10, 19:06
Hi,

I'm wondering if this list is still up to date or if there is anotherone on this site (didn't find any but never know)You would have to check them out and let us know!

Most of them should still be there!

Mike Hunt
05-11-10, 12:02
Drove past in a taxi looking for Millon, Parana 1048 Recoleta, but appears to have closed down. I then went around the corner to Sahara, a bar cum disco near Hippopotamus, for a couple.

After this I went into the Newport but this is a pro bar, beers 30 pesos I should have known!

I have found Kilkennys to have a few freelancers in there several times a week, pints of guiness p39 just about fell off the chair when they told me! This place has not changed much still dark and dreary, different bar flys though.

I will report on any others as they come to light.

Mike

El Perro
05-11-10, 12:52
Drove past in a taxi looking for Millon, parana 1048 Recoleta, but appears to have closed down. I then went around the corner to Sahara, a bar cum disco near Hippopotamus, for a couple.

After this I went into the Newport but this is a pro bar, beers 30 pesos I should have known!

I have found Kilkennys to have a few freelancers in there several times a week, pints of guiness p39 just about fell off the chair when they told me! This place has not changed much still dark and dreary, different bar flys though.

I will report on any others as they come to light.

MikeMilion is definitely still open, I was just there last week. Remember, there are no flashing neon lights.

On the other hand, I walked by The Museum twice recently and have seen zero activity there.

Butcher
05-11-10, 16:14
Voodoo.

Baez 340

Palermo.

4772-2453

Somewhere between a club and a bar, Voodoo has DJs from beyond Buenos Aires and an atmosphere of true cool. It is a place to see people and been seen, whether that be at the bar, on the dance floor, or in one of the lounge chairs.Name is no longer Voodoo. Changed to Kandy, about 5 years ago, and it's currently a restaurant. Kandy was very cool, but they closed last year.

TejanoLibre
05-11-10, 16:27
Hi,

I'm wondering if this list is still up to date or if there is anotherone on this site (didn't find any but never know)Just go to:

Gran Bar Danzon - Wed and thurs.

Museum - Wed.

Milion - any day.

Opera City - Wed night before 9 pm. 940 Alsina.

Fuck the Rest!

TL

Mika75
05-20-10, 20:47
Thank's.

Buenos Aires' tango sceen is quite boring these days and I hope these are good places to go even alone;-)

Didn't find any info on the net about "Opera City" it's new or they keep on changing names?

M.