PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Used Car

El Queso
09-24-08, 17:57
I recently bought a used car. I thought I might share a bit of my experience.

I ended up buying a 1999 Renault Megane for 27,000 pesos. The original asking price was 29,500. The price included about 600 pesos in registration fees. I bought it from Centro Automotores S. A.

I spent nearly three weeks riding in taxis all over Capital Federal looking for cars, trying to get a feel for what is available at what price. I looked at old cars and new cars, private owners and dealerships. I did look at prices in Gran Buenos Aires, and they did seem to be a bit better priced, but by the time I either rented a car or paid a remis to go look at all of them, I figured the savings would be minimal or non-existent.

Some points I discovered:

- Cars do not lose value here at the same rate they do in the States (only other country I'm experienced with buying cars) This makes cars more expensive by far than you may be ready for.

- Many cars are very well maintained, even the older ones. The car I ended up buying was owned by one guy, and he had all of his maintenance receipts going back to the beginning.

- It seems like many cars average about 15K - 20K kilometers / year.

- Many older used cars have had a paint job. Most of them are pretty good paint jobs, but may be hiding something. I came across at least half of the cars that were older than or equal to 10 years that were obviously repaired with Bondo and painted over.

- Car prices at a dealership (used only or new car dealership with used cars) were roughly the same as car prices set by individuals.

- Cars carry the "multas" or fines that are accrued by individuals. This can include speeding / traffic infractions, parking tickets and lack of any fees required to be paid. Because of this, it is very important that when you buy a car that it has no issues against its documentation. You will not be able to have the Cedula Verde (the title) to the car unless all issues have been taken care of. Some individuals will actually sell a nice car for a low sum, and note that there are issues of some sort that need to be taken care of. That will be the responsibility of the buyer in that case. Some individuals don't advertise that there are problems.

======================

Note that prices between dealers and individuals were pretty close. In addition, the issue of getting title is very important. Therefore, my suggestion is to go to a dealership for the most part. The dealerships have a better selection and you won't need to waste time going to 5 individuals when you cold probably go to a decent-sized dealership and see 5 decent cars.

Go to a larger dealership that has more than 10 cars. Ask them if they do all of the tramites for getting the car title transferred. If so, they are responsible for ensuring that the car title is clear. You may go to a smaller dealership that doesn't do all of this and are selling the car on consignment, and you won't discover the problem until you are in the buying process.

If you go to a smaller dealer or an individual, I would suggest that you hire a lawyer to ensure that everything is done correctly. Hiring a lawyer will mitigate some of the savings that you will see from dealing with an individual, but by definition an individual may be willing to discount the price more than a dealership. It depends on how much you want to mess with things.

======================

What you need:

You need some sort of a National Identification Number. I won't go into the particulars of how to get these here, though if someone needs to know, ask.

If you are a resident or have a DNI, you will need to get a CUIL (like a US Social Security Number) or a CUIT (like a corporation's Federal Tax ID)

If you are not a resident, you will need to get a CDI (Clave Identification Nacional) You will need something to prove where you are living, like a contract or bill with your name on it.

The car will be registered with the Province of Cordoba. They will use your identification above to tie the car to you.

You cannot pick up the car the same day you pay for it. Because the registration has to be done (at least whatever it is that actually starts it off) it will take at LEAST overnight. They have to go to a government office and register the sale and get a receipt, etc. I was told at least a week, maybe more, when I was talking to one individual, becaue he wanted to wait to give the car to me until he actually had the Cedula Verde in my name before giving me the car.

It is illegal to drive in Argentina without insurance. The dealership I went to would not let me take possession of the car without having worked out my insurance ahead of time. Insurance varies widely in price and coverage. I paid 2700 pesos for a year, which comes out to about U$S 74 a month.

======================

When you go to get insurance, you may be asked to go to a place that will inspect your car. They basically will record every scratch and dent and exclude it from coverage. When they did it for me, the guy had a little pen flashlight and peered at every nook and cranny in the engine, on the body, wheel wells, interior, etc. He took about 30 minutes to do the inspection.

Now, this is where it gets interesting. Some insurance companies actually will not insure anyone who does not have a DNI OR a DIPLOMATIC PASSPORT. Yeah, you read that right. The dealerships don't necessarily know this either, because I don't think anyone really deals with this much - how many foreigners here buy cars after all?

I went to Caja de Ahorro at the suggestion of the dealership. I don't have a DNI nor residency. I didn't find out until after the inspection when I went to pay and pick up my policy that I was going to have a problem.

However, Centro de Automotores did an EXCELLENT job of getting me taken care of.

I had picked up my car Friday afternoon and got to the Caja de Ahorro location nearby by about 3:00. I went back to Centro de Autmotores late Friday afternoon (I had a weekend of house hunting ahead of me and really wanted to be able to drive my car instead of hiring another remis or renting a car) after I was rejected by Caja de Ahorro. They had, at one point, 4 people making phone calls to find me a place where I could get in THAT DAY and get my insurance. I was really impressed at the trouble they took, quite unlike most service I've had here in Argentina, where they would usually shrug their shoulders and say "sorry, nothing I can do."

I ended up with insurance, sight unseen, by the end of Friday.

I got it with Meridional Seguros, through Alfredo Cordone & Asoc.

I also know someone else who does not have a DNI (I don't think he has residency but I'm not sure) nor a diplomatic passport. He got his insurance through Mapfre.

=================

So it is possible for a foreigner to buy a used car, though at least the first time, it takes a bit to get it done.

Facundo
09-24-08, 20:51
El Queso, excellent report. I appreciate the thoroughness of your car purchase experience. Did they tell you what your annual tax will be (equivalent to an excise tax)? I believe, based on the price you paid, it might be around 500 pesos per year.

Suerte with your "brand new used car".

El Queso
09-24-08, 21:26
El Queso, excellent report. I appreciate the thoroughness of your car purchase experience. Did they tell you what your annual tax will be (equivalent to an excise tax) I believe, based on the price you paid, it might be around 500 pesos per year.

Suerte with your "brand new used car".Yeah that was the number they gave me. I have yet to figure out how and where to pay it an all - another report next year;)

El Queso
09-26-08, 19:04
I found a couple of mistakes in my post after re-reading it again.

I mentioned that the car would be registered with the Province of Cordoba. Please don't ask me where I got that - I must have lost my mind at that particular point. Indeed, they will register the car with the Province of Buenos Aires.

Also, I mentioned that the Cedula Verde is the same as the Title, and that is not exactly true. They are actually two distinct items. I retrieved both today as it took almost two weeks to process everything.

The Cedula Verde is more like a permission to drive the car. It is actually a laminated card and should be kept with the car. The title was pretty much what you would expect from a car title in the States. Just says who owns it. I'm not sure why you need both a Cedula Verde and a title, but I was all tired today from asking questions and didn't get a definitive reason.

El Queso
09-26-08, 19:08
One other thing that I discovered today. You never know exactly where things will jump up and bite you here.

I was given two keys by the dealership, and one of them stopped working a couple of days after I took the car home. The keys are "keyed" with a digital code that allows the car to start ONLY if you unlock the car with a key that is coded correctly to your car.

So since one stopped working, I figured I would want to get a spare while I was at the dealership today. They had told me that because of this coding system, only Renault could make the spare keys that would work.

I was told today that the price for a new key was an astounding 740 pesos! Not only that, but it would take at least 30 days because they had to be made in France!

I really don't know what other makes of cars may have this issue, but it is probably something that should be asked by anyone thinking of buying a car.

BadMan
09-26-08, 19:16
This is a good thing. Most keys from European manufacturers are laser cut these days and they have to be made to order by the manufacturer, as they don't want any random car dealership being able to cut and code keys, since it could compromise security.

Regards,

BM

El Queso
09-26-08, 19:21
Yeah, actually it's not that I minded so much the manufacturers cutting the keys - and I can certainly understand why they would not necessarily trust an Argentine central branch with the equipment and expertise necessary to do make them locally.

The biggest shock to me was the price. The second biggest was the time. There was literally nothing I could do, they told me, if I lost my one remaining functioning key or it stopped working. There was no kind of "rush service" to help out, and even if there was, at the price of 740 pesos, it would probably have cost another 1000 to rush it!

Member #3320
09-26-08, 19:24
Yeah, actually it's not that I minded so much the manufacturers cutting the keys - and I can certainly understand why they would not necessarily trust an Argentine central branch with the equipment and expertise necessary to do make them locally.

The biggest shock to me was the price. The second biggest was the time. There was literally nothing I could do, they told me, if I lost my one remaining functioning key or it stopped working. There was no kind of "rush service" to help out, and even if there was, at the price of 740 pesos, it would probably have cost another 1000 to rush it!I think the price of 740 ARS is fair, if it is going to come all the way from France probably via a DHL courier. A courier itself will cost 250 pesos, I guess.

Time frame could have been less than 30 days but if its coming from another country. I guess 15 days would be minimum.

Thats why a brand new high end car would always be a better option to avoid such hassles. Or a very low end car with the old fashioned keys which can easily be duplicated by a local locksmith.

Sportsman
09-26-08, 19:34
I was told today that the price for a new key was an astounding 740 pesos! Not only that, but it would take at least 30 days because they had to be made in France!

I really don't know what other makes of cars may have this issue, but it is probably something that should be asked by anyone thinking of buying a car.A digitally coded replacement key for a Mercedes 300E cost a friend of mine $250 USD back in 1987. I can't imagine how much it would cost today.

Member #3320
09-26-08, 19:40
A digitally coded replacement key for a Mercedes 300E cost a friend of mine $250 USD back in 1987. I can't imagine how much it would cost today.Going by these figures, I guess 740 ARS is a decent price for Renault in 2008

El Queso
09-27-08, 15:31
I think the price of 740 ARS is fair, if it is going to come all the way from France probably via a DHL courier. A courier itself will cost 250 pesos, I guess.Well, I hate to think that a DHL courier from France is almost three times the cost of DHL coming from the States. Could be, I guess. I know Fed Ex is much more expensive than DHL. I get a shipment via DHL from the States that has all of my forwarded mail for U$S 29 per month. It isn't sent ugent overnight either, but I usually get it the next day, or no more than two days later.

But let's say that it is 250 pesos (roughly U$S 82) That leaves 590 pesos (roughly U$S 194) of the fee unaccounted for. Now, as was pointed out, this car is hardly a Mercedes or a BMW. Does it really cost that much to have a key made and a chip flashed?

To me, both the auto manufacturer and the dealership should be interested in ensuring that little things like this are easily and reasonably quickly taken care of EVEN IF they are expensive. How many people are going to think twice about buying an automobile from a brand that they had a bad experience with because they lost a key and couldn't drive their car for thirty days?

But then, I drove the car out on the day I bought it with nearly an empty gas tank. It didn't even occur to me to look at that, because in the US, it would enver have happened - dealerships there are very interested in little things like that to make the customer happy.

I would be willing to bet that most of the fee involved is the dealership trying to make a few bucks any way it can at the expense of customer staisfaction.

Time frame could have been less than 30 days but if its coming from another country. I guess 15 days would be minimum.15 days would be better than 30 for sure. But considering that the actual order could be made by computer and Renault would have a database of all autos and their codes (they have to in order to make this work) it takes about what, 10 minutes maybe to cut the key, and another 10 minutes to flash the circuit board with the correct codes? Put in a couple of days even for someone to have to physically move the key from where it's cut to where it's flashed and we're talking less than a week from order to delivery.

Thats why a brand new high end car would always be a better option to avoid such hassles. Or a very low end car with the old fashioned keys which can easily be duplicated by a local locksmith.My hat is off to those who can afford to pay cash for a high end car (and find one that doesn't have a similar situation - Renault makes high end cars as well, you know) because people in my situation (foreigner with no DNI) will not be getting any loans here.

What gets me is that it shouldn't matter one whit. When this car was new, it would have had the same issues. What happens if some poor slob lost his keys eight years ago? He still would have been out of luck, unable to drive his shiny new car for a month while the process is sorted out. To suggest that I should have to spend two or three times more for a car because it will have less chance of having a problem with replacement keys seems a bit far-fetched.

BadMan
09-27-08, 16:47
Hey Queso,

I think he said $ 250 USD not $ 250 AR. But I agree 30 days AND $ 250 USD isn't a good thing.

But just as a reference point, I purchased a VW Passat in the states about a year ago and I wanted a third key. If I recall, they wanted $ 500 USD for it, though I don't remember how long they said it would take to receive it, I doubt it was 30 days. Sufficed to say, I didn't order it.

Regards,

BM
A digitally coded replacement key for a Mercedes 300E cost a friend of mine $250 USD back in 1987.
But let's say that it is 250 pesos (roughly U$S 82) That leaves 590 pesos (roughly U$S 194) of the fee unaccounted for. Now, as was pointed out, this car is hardly a Mercedes or a BMW.

Member #3320
09-27-08, 16:54
Does it really cost that much to have a key made and a chip flashed?

I would be willing to bet that most of the fee involved is the dealership trying to make a few bucks any way it can at the expense of customer sataisfaction.

My hat is off to those who can afford to pay cash for a high end car (and find one that doesn't have a similar situation - Renault makes high end cars as well, you know) because people in my situation (foreigner with no DNI) will not be getting any loans here.

What happens if some poor slob lost his keys eight years ago? He still would have been out of luck, unable to drive his shiny new car for a month while the process is sorted out. Here is the answer to some of your comments above,

1. Yes, costs are high especially if its being done in a western European country involving some kind of labour. Remember, even a ordinary meal in a decent restaurant in France could cost close 100 Euros or above.

2. Why shouldn't the dealership make money on "after-sale" services? I know many high end car dealers in my country personally as friends. They always tell me that they hardly make any money on sales of the cars. The main money comes from the after sales service when the customer has a problem after the sales. They clearly told me that is the time, they go for the kill and that is the reason why they go for car dealerships in the first place.

3. There are mongers from AP who are driving brand new cars here in BA. We know at least one of them, don't we?

Regarding loans, its not always a great idea to get loans if the rate of interest is very high. At times, you may up paying almost double the original price. There are many individuals in this world including self who believe in buying the cars cash down rather than pay high interests on car loans. And only take house loans if at all.

4. It will be kind of weird for a poor slob to loose both the keys of a brand new car together. It would be a rare phenomenon. I have never heard of that. However, if that happens, it would be because of slackness of the poor slob and this poor slob should be made to pay the price for his slackness.

Aqualung
09-28-08, 01:41
I bet anything that you can find a local locksmith that can fix the problem in half an hour for ten pesos!

But the main point is if the car is an import, so will all the parts. If the car or parts for it are made locally it's going to be easier and cheaper to have it repaired.

As to prices for used cars in Argentina, just check the prices of new cars in relation to local wages so you will find why there is so much demand for second hand cars.

Also, for very many years Argentina had very strict restrictions on imported vehicles to "protect" the local industry. This led to things like the Ford Falcon being built here with only minor cosmetic changes from the early sixties to mid nineties so if you had a 1969 Falcon why bother spending a shitload of money on changing it for the 1979 version of exactly the same car? You just put a little money into repairs and made it run till at least 1989! Then you sold your twenty year old car for a good amount to someone who couldn't dream of buying a new one and so on!

Repairs here are cheap - at least labour and local built parts are - and in general very good either for mechanical parts as for body-building so it's fairly easy to keep a car in good shape.

I drive a 1987 Ford Sierra Ghia (which I bought brand new) and wouldn't sell it for - Well - I just wouldn't sell it. Period!

And that is exactly how many Argentines feel about their cars thus pushing up the used car prices!

Oh, and I paid last week 4 pesos for a new key for the gas tank!

El Queso
09-28-08, 13:48
Aqualung,

I can't have a locksmith make the key - the problem is the chip that is built into the key and the encrypted code that it transmits when it unlocks the door. If you don't unlock the door with that key, the engine won't start. I first started having that problem with my first key when I was out and about outside of the city - the key wouldn't unlock the door electronically (about one out of every ten tries it worked) and when I tried to start the engine it would just sputter and die.

Also, I bought a Renault because it is made in Argentina. The plant is in Santa Isabel, about 10 klicks outside Cordoba.

I understand about prices for used cars. It wasn't a complaint I was making in my original post, it was simply information for those who might consider a car.

It never occurred to me to find out how much it would cost in money AND time to have a replacement key made. They gave me two keys and I didn't think I would need to have a new key made.

El Queso
09-28-08, 14:12
1. Yes, costs are high especially if its being done in a western European country involving some kind of labour. Remember, even a ordinary meal in a decent restaurant in France could cost close 100 Euros or above.The price, again, is one thing. I can even accept the price for a one-time thing if it's something I need. But I can still grouse about it.

And again, the labor involved is very minimal. I've seen guys cut keys and these will almost certainly be done on a machine because they are laser cut. I write software and have flashed chips before, and know that the process takes seconds. Even at the prices of those who do SAP (a German comapny, that does business as well in France, not just the US as an example) charge hourly, you couldn't begin to to justify a labor cost as excessive as you are suggesting.

But fine, charge me more, just allow me to get replacements in less than a MONTH!

2. Why shouldn't the dealership make money on "after-sale" services? I know many high end car dealers in my country personally as friends. They always tell me that they hardly make any money on sales of the cars. The main money comes from the after sales service when the customer has a problem after the sales. They clearly told me that is the time, they go for the kill and that is the reason why they go for car dealerships in the first place. You are right, that a lot of the money does come on the after-sales market. Normally it is in things that people buy all the time, like sport packages, rails for your truck, undercoating, even extended warranties.

I have never bought a car in your country, so again, I can only go by the US, where dealers try to make the people feel like they got a deal, even when they are really getting screwed, and things like extra keys at or near cost and a full tanks of gas when you drive away are actually things that are very easy to do to make someone feel better about their purchase.

Also, I am almost positive that you are talking about new car sales. There is almost no after-market market for used cars, at leat in my country, unless they are used cars with very low mileage being sold at a new car dealership.

3. There are mongers from AP who are driving brand new cars here in BA. We know at least one of them, don't we?

Regarding loans, its not always a great idea to get loans if the rate of interest is very high. At times, you may up paying almost double the original price. There are many individuals in this world including self who believe in buying the cars cash down rather than pay high interests on car loans. And only take house loans if at all.Well, again, that is great for those who have the cash to buy a new car. I'm not really sure what that has to do with this thread though, considering that I am describing the purchase process of a used car.

So your comment that there are members of the board that are able to afford new cars, even after I stated the reason that I COULDN'T do so, really only serves to make me feel bad about my inabiliity to enjoy what the "upper class" can enjoy.

Besides, I only mentioned a loan because it was impossible. I would not have taken out a loan here, unless I was going to pay it off much more quickly than the payments. My point there was - "don't think about it because that is not an option for a foreigner." Unless you want to go to a bank in your country and get a loan on your signature or something.

In the meantime, whether I bought a new car or a used car, I would still have the same issue related to keys, which leads into the next item:

4. It will be kind of weird for a poor slob to loose both the keys of a brand new car together. It would be a rare phenomenon. I have never heard of that. However, if that happens, it would be because of slackness of the poor slob and this poor slob should be made to pay the price for his slackness.Wow man, you're really tough on someone trying to survive. If you somehow found yourself in a situation where you didn't have keys to your car, no matter how improbably it seemed, would you really think of yourself as slack and feel ok about being screwed because it's a rare phenomenon?

I could think of something, for example; my wife and I both are at the beach and we both have a key to our car with us. I ask her to put my keys in her purse because they are too bulky for my swim suit. We watch her purse carefully while we're tanning because not only does it have the keys, but also money, etc.

We decide to go up to the local bar and grab a couple of drinks. She slings her purse over her shoulder and we walk up the beach toward the bar. Suddenly, some punk comes running up, cuts her shoulder strap and runs off with the purse, our keys along with it.

Huh. So, I could replace everyone of my credits cards (at least the ones that come from my country) in a few days, maybe a week to ten days at worst, depending on the card and the service. I could certainly replace my passport in less than a month, though I've never had to do that so I'm guessing, but I've heard others talk about a lot less time.

But my keys to my expensive used (or new) car, I can't replace in less than thirty days. Hmmmm. And I was slack for allowing that thief to run off with my new keys. I should have thought ahead and figured out some way to make sure that those keys were enver in the same place at the same time.

Now, I thought of that scenario in about 10 seconds. I actually had something similar to that happen in Rome about 8 years ago, but I wasn't driving at the time - it was my wallet I lost because I asked my ex-wife to put my wallet in her purse because I was afraid of pickpockets (we were going into the subway to go to see the Pope speak on Easter). A thief came up behind her, cut the straps to her backpack purse (i.e., it was around BOTH shoulders) and ran off. I only lost some cash (most of my money with me was in traveler's checks) and my cards, so I know what it was like replacing everything except my passport, which was sitting back at the hotel room.

I could probably think of another scenario if I really wanted to.

But the whole point of this is that no matter how rare something might be like that, the keys to one's car should not take 30 days to replace NO MATTER WHAT COUNTRY you are from or live in. Charge me a premium for rush service, that's fine. The keys cost a lot? That sucks, sure, but at least it can be done.

Member #3320
09-28-08, 18:23
So your comment that there are members of the board that are able to afford new cars, even after I stated the reason that I COULDN'T do so, really only serves to make me feel bad about my inabiliity to enjoy what the "upper class" can enjoy.El Queso,

You are wrong. My intention was NOt to make you feel bad. I meant was that anyone can buy a brand new car here in Argentina if one is spending up to 15,000 USD for a 2nd hand car. It means that you go for a low end car and buy a new one for the same spending capacity. That is what I would do. I would buy a cheaper car and buy a brand new car than a 2nd hand car. Though I understand the norm here in this country is to buy 2nd hand cars, so that you can buy cars you actually desire than go for cheaper cars.

I had made this comment because you had somewhere mentioned in this post that no foreigner can afford to buy a brand new car here or something like that.

You are right, I was talking about first hand cars. I have no clue about after sales service of 2nd hand cars and thats the reason, i dont believe in 2nd hand cars as you never know what to expect even if you have done a thorough check at time of buying. There could always be nasty surprises and more expenditures soon after getting the ownership as it happened in your case. Thats why I would always recommend brand new cars to anyone thinking of buying a car anywhere in the world. Having said that I know, their are millions of people who like buying 2nd hand cars and do it successfully.

Your story of beach is figment of your imagination. All I know is that for any car I own, I keep one key in a safe locked in my house and the other key is used. I have been driving different cars for past 15 years and I have yet to lose a key. However, if I did lose one, I have a back-up key locked in my house and I wouldn't need to wait for 30 days to start the ignition again, while a new key is ordered. Now, if I let my imagination run loose and say that I lose the 2nd key also soon after losing the first key, then I would call myself a slack slob.

Suerte.

Monger514
09-28-08, 19:16
I have yet to loose a key"lose"

However, if I did loose one"lose"

Now, if I let my imagination let loose Correct (though "run loose" is maybe what you meant)

say that I loose the 2nd key also soon after loosing the first key, then I would call myself a slack slob."lose" and "losing"

El Queso
09-28-08, 19:21
Well, I almost didn't reply to your last reply Captain, but I felt like I had to because you seem to have a couple of misconceptions. I hate to leave things unstated, particularly where someone may come in and look at this in a month or more and wonder what the deal was.

First, I didn't say that your comments were INTENDED to make me feel bad, I said your comment "really only serves to make me feel bad about my inabiliity to enjoy what the 'upper class' can enjoy." I didn't say that your comment was accurate or inaccurate, or that it would affect OTHERS the way it affected me. You can't tell me I'm wrong for the way I feel about what you said, because it is the way I feel. You can apologize and tell me that that was not your intention to make me feel bad. You can say that you would not feel that way if someone said to you what they said to me. You could even call me a pussy for being affected at all. But you can't just up and tell me I'm wrong for feeling the way your statement made me feel. The fact is, if you were reading everything I had to say carefully, you might be able to see how your statement could be considered a bit rude.

Second, I don't think you read everything I said to say very carefully. I VERY CLEARLY stated that I spent $27,000 pesos on my used car. That comes out to U$S 8,800 +-, which is at least U$S 6,000 short of your stated "second hand price" of U$S 15,000. That is 170% MORE than I was willing to spend. In fact, I didn't mention in my original post, I was actually hoping to spend U$S 5,000 originally! I just couldn't find any used cars at that price that I could live with. So your price of U$S 15,000 is actually 300% of what I originally wanted to spend.

I don't know that I can even find a NEW car for U$S 9,000. I don't believe that is possible. A new car that I can currently buy for even U$S 15,000 will not serve me. Again, it is great that YOU would buy a new low-end car, but I need a little more space than a two seater, or a four-seater with absolutely (or almost) no trunk / storage space. I am married to a woman who also has family here in Buenos Aires and sometimes want to carry people with she and I, as well as the things that those people may have.

Have you looked at prices for new cars? I did, cursorily, and I wanted something a little better than the small cars I could buy for U$S 15,000 NEW.

Third, again you didn't read very clearly what I said, because I NEVER said that "no foreigner can afford to buy a brand new car here or something like that."

Here are my quotes related to foreigners and what they can do:

Original Post.

=======================

"I ended up buying a 1999 Renault Megane for 27,000 pesos. The original asking price was 29,500. The price included about 600 pesos in registration fees. I bought it from Centro Automotores S. A."

"Now, this is where it gets interesting. Some insurance companies actually will not insure anyone who does not have a DNI OR a DIPLOMATIC PASSPORT. Yeah, you read that right. The dealerships don't necessarily know this either, because I don't think anyone really deals with this much - how many foreigners here buy cars after all?"

"So it is possible for a foreigner to buy a used car, though at least the first time, it takes a bit to get it done."

Later posts, replying to you.

========================

"My hat is off to those who can afford to pay cash for a high end car (and find one that doesn't have a similar situation - Renault makes high end cars as well, you know) because people in my situation (foreigner with no DNI) will not be getting any loans here."

"Besides, I only mentioned a loan because it was impossible. I would not have taken out a loan here, unless I was going to pay it off much more quickly than the payments. My point there was - 'don't think about it because that is not an option for a foreigner. [my comment - just to reiterate the point, I am talking about securing a loan here not buying a new car]' Unless you want to go to a bank in your country and get a loan on your signature or something."

I don't see anywhere here that says a foreigner cannot afford buy a new car (or something like that) You're right, I do know a guy who bought a new car here, and it is much nicer than my car. If I had the cash, I WOULD have bought new.

Fourth - you are getting pretty high and mighty with your pronouncements. My beach scenario a "figment of [my] imagination." Huh. The point I was trying to make is that SHIT HAPPENS and when it does, it shouldn't take 30 days to recover from it.

Do you have a wife? Have you ever shared keys with her? When you have two cars, for example, and each of you have the a key to both cars on your chain THAT AIN'T NO FIGMENT. Oh but of course, you would have gone to get a third key made immediately. Let's hope you weren't enjoying your car at the beach during those thirty days and got robbed.

Shit happens, Captain and shitty service makes the shit even worse.

Now, with that fourth comment (taken with some of the others) you're starting to actually piss me off. This has now gone beyond discussion into a realm I don't care for.

And I'm done there. I don't want to get into any more tit-for-tat with you. Your opinions on what YOU do with your keys are fine, and what kind of car YOU would buy is fine. I tried to share some information and ended up in a place where I shouldn't have allowed this to go to begin with.

BadMan
09-28-08, 20:04
Come on guys.

This really isn't that serious.

We are arguing about buying cars here?

All I got to say is.

Aqualung
09-28-08, 22:38
Hi Queso - try here:

http://www.llavesdeautos.com.ar/llaves/llaves_renault.html

El Queso
09-29-08, 01:27
BadMan you're absolutely right. That's what I meant by going to a place I didn't want to go - too easy to get there and let's look at some nice tits instead!

Aqualung, thanks man, I'm going to check that out!

Captain, we'll make sure we have a couple of beers and a few laughs before you get out of here ;)

Member #3320
09-29-08, 04:15
Captain, we'll make sure we have a couple of beers and a few laughs before you get out of here;)El Queso,

When is the house warming party? I guess I will be out of here by then. However, it will be great to have a couple of beers and a few laughs and carry our sweet discussion on car purchase in Argentina, face to face out of the forum.;-)

Aqualung
09-29-08, 09:30
Aqualung, thanks man, I'm going to check that out! Let us know what came of it. Maybe it will be helpful to others in the future.

If you google "llaves Renault Megane" you'll find thee are a few other locksmiths that offer their services. Most promise "in the day service". However long it takes it won't be anywhere near what the official agent said and I bet the price won't be any where near that either.

Very few Argentines would buy parts or do their repairs at official agents - only while the car is still under warranty - because they charge ridiculous prices. Find a good mechanic near your home and have him always do the work on your car. (Ask the remiseros of your barrio to recommend a good one)

You have bought a decent enough car that will take you from A to B for a fraction of the price of a new one so don't go spending unnecessary amounts on repairs or parts.

El Queso
09-29-08, 19:02
El Queso,

When is the house warming party? I guess I will be out of here by then. However, it will be great to have a couple of beers and a few laughs and carry our sweet discussion on car purchase in Argentina, face to face out of the forum.;-)Unfortunately Captain, it looks like I won't move in until October 15. Given the other stuff I have going on in my life right now, I probably won't have a house warming party until around the 1st week of November.

If I remember correctly, you're leaving around the 10th of October, right?

However, Casa Bar is waiting;)

Capn Rick
11-12-08, 01:56
Saludos.

We bought this 1999 BMW R1100S from a friend of mine who got it from a cop auction in Miami. I plan to try to sell it as soon as it is legal to do so. I apologize if there is a thread in another sector of the forum I did not see.

I plan to put the vehicle nationalization saga on the site if I can figure out where to put it. It might be useful to mongers planning to get a permanant residency. The plan is to finish up the nationalization of the bike by the end of November and put it up for sale in CraigsList, etc asking USD19,000. I will offer it to any monger that is interested at USD14,000.

It had only 16k miles on the clock and was everything you would expect of a 1100cc motor on a light frame as far as performance. As you can see from the mileage, it was in a police impound lot for several years, and has finish issues as a result. The battery was replaced with a brand new BMW gel unit before it left Miami. It is at a mechanic's shop in BsAs (I am in MarDel) because the bike was not palleted properly for the shipment and fell over on my car. In addition to doing damage to the car, the bike had some paint damage, turn indicators and a mirror broken. I haven't seen the bike since we opened the container and removed / inspected / photographed it. I understand the parts finally came in and it is ready.

My question comes from hearing a rumor that one could not sell a vehicle after bringing it in as part of the immigration package. Since we are using the immigration package to get the car nationalized without import duty and will pay 80% of the value of the bike as import duty, shouldn't it be OK to sell the bike? I believe the restriction against selling the imported vehicle for two years applies only to the duty free vehicle, no?

Suerte

Cordoba Dan
11-19-09, 22:39
So I was reading the Clarin and perusing the classifieds. There was mention of the place on Cuba being under new management but when I stopped by they had one chica who was a 5 or 6. What really got my attention was they multi page write up on the Toyota Prius. They hype it to the sky not unlike American reviews and then list an Argie price of 49,700 and I'm thinking, for a 2010 Prius, thats better than the states! Then really starts clicking in and I double check and yes, it says dolares. WTF. 50G for a tech tweeked Corrolla? No wonder I haven't seen any generation Prius in BA.