PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Outside the City

El Queso
11-07-08, 12:30
As I have reported previously, I have left the hustle-bustle of city life in favor of a slower, quieter existence in the suburbs. I have moved to Garin, which is a part of the overall area of Pilar, roughly to the northwest of the city, about 40 kilometers out on Panamericana Rama Pilar.

One of the logistics of living such a life is getting back and forth from the city to my house. I personally own a car and use it for every trip I make. However, my wife does not yet drive, and in addition to that, she has a few family members and friends who come out to visit. We needed a means to travel that was not restricted to me being a chofer.

The first, and least favorable, of all options is the colectivos, or busses. There are a few lines that run out to this area from the city. I know line 60 does so, but I don't know exactly where all it stops before leaving the city nor do I know where out here it runs, although I have seen it cruising the streets out here. Very cheap, but it is supposed to take about 2-3 hours from what I've heard.

There are trains available. These are not terrible during the day, but are supposed to be completely off the list after dark due to danger. I've seen one of the train stations out here, and it just doesn't look like the kind of trip I would personally like to make very often. One line goes through Tigre and then into town, the other goes straight to town. Somewhere between 1 and 1.5 hours from wha tI understand to get out here.

Third, remis services will generally make the trip for about $80 to $100 (pesos) This is actually not bad because you can have your own driver and in most cases a more comfortable setting than taking a train or a bus. The price is a bit high, and measured in pussy, that could be a trip to a privado, for example.

The best means we have seen to travel back and forth between here and the city are Combis. These are small vans that seat as many as 15 persons, although some of the services seem to have larger busses available as well.

Typically, these services have multiple stops in the city and along the Rama Pilar (as well as Rama Escobar and other locations - Pilar is the one I've been concerned about) Where and what time depends on the service you are going to take. Typically, you have to call ahead and make a reservation because a lot of people use these services and the seats may all be booked by the time it will arrive. It's not wise to just show up at one of their stops and hope for the best unless you are not too concerned with making the trip.

Prices seem to be about the same for all the services we called. $15 pesos each way. The vans are airconditioned and comfortable, from what I hear, although I have never actually taken one personally - this is information from my wife and her friends / family.

The trips usually take about 40-50 minutes. It's about 30-40 minutes for me to drive directly, so this is not a bad time difference.

The combis stop outside the city at pre-defined locations, which are usually in front of "countries" that have an entrance right on the highway (or on the "colectora", the feeder road)

The one we use is called Trebol Express (http://www.trebolexpress.com.ar). They have the best website, which spells out clearly where their stops are using maps, what time the vans arrive there, all of this being different depending on whether you are coming or going. They have always been on time and with good service, over the last two weeks using them about 3 or 4 times per week.

Our private neighborhood is about a kilometer and a half away from the stop Tortugas, which is at kilometer 38.5. This is the only problem - there is nothing much around there except the entrance to Tortugas and a bus stop and there are no taxis. The bus stop seems to service the highway itself - I've never noticed a local bus stop there to pick up people, although one could cross under the highway and pick something up on the street on the other side I think.

So typically, I go to pick up visitors that take the combi. It takes me about three minutes to get there and there is a reasonably safe place to stay while waiting for me to come. The walk of about 1.5 kilometers isn't bad either, except in the worst part of the day, and would be reasonably safe.

Other combi services:

Boomerang 02322-491360

Expreso Pilar
http://www.expresopilar.com

02322-435500

Miguel Bus.

15-5328-9035

Full Express.

02320-406336