PDA

View Full Version : Cellphones: Calling-Using-Buying-Importing-Activating-Renting

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Va Steve
06-01-09, 12:04
Greetings,

I'll be making my first trip to BA in two weeks and I'm looking forward to sampling the local talent. First of all, I assume having a local phone and number is preferable to using my iPhone with roaming. I've gotten a very attractive rental quote from phonerental.com.ar - free rental for 7 days with reasonable per-minute charges. Is this a reputable firm?

Jackson
06-01-09, 14:40
Greetings,

I'll be making my first trip to BA in two weeks and I'm looking forward to sampling the local talent. First of all, I assume having a local phone and number is preferable to using my iPhone with roaming. I've gotten a very attractive rental quote from phonerental. Com. Ar - free rental for 7 days with reasonable per-minute charges. Is this a reputable firm?Hi Steve,

Is there some reason why you wouldn't post exactly what the "reasonable per-minute charges" were that you were quoted?

Absent this info, it's impossible to give you any feedback other than the "Free rental / free delivery / free pickup / give us your credit card" cellphone rental companies are notoriously over-priced to the point of being predatory. Among other practices, they typically charge you per minute for both outgoing and incoming calls even though in Argentina incoming calls are actually paid by the caller and thus free to the cellphone user.

Another issue is the actual number of minutes for which you are charged. They log into the cellphone's account online with their service provider to ascertain the number of minutes you've used, but there always seems to be a discrepancy between this number and the number of minutes you are charged, or should I say the number of minutes that they charged on your credit card as per your signature on the rental agreement, fait accompli.

Who knows though, perhaps you found a great service.

Thanks,

Jackson

Joe Hernandez
06-01-09, 16:47
A cheap phone with pre-card is costing about 150-200 peso and eventhough I don't have experience with many of my friends buy chips and use them on there home phone.

That must work a lot better

Va Steve
06-01-09, 17:42
Apologize for not posting the rates; just laziness! First week's rental is free; additional weeks are US$ 7; insurance is US$ 5.

These are the quoted rates in US dollars:

Local $ 0.29

National $ 0.58

Argentina - Mercosur $ 0.89

Argentina - U. S. $ 0.79 - Special Promotion.

Argentina - Europe $ 1.28

Incoming minute $ 0.29

Tessan
06-01-09, 19:28
You can unlock the phone you use or an old spare phone, if you call your service provider and tell them your going to be traveling internationally, and want the phone unlocked. I did it with T-mobile, and they emailed me the instructions.

Once your phone is unlocked you can buy a chip very cheap, think less then 5 dollars. Then you'll have a local phone number. Then you can buy a card and put credit on the phone.

I don't know all the plans, but the one I used for about 3 years now, is Claro, (many people don't like Claro. I've had no problems with it.) If you put a 50 peso card on it, you get 40 peso bonus, which give you more then 90 minutes talk time, cell phone to cell phone or landline. I think it almost the same price country wide. It might be 10 centavos more. You also get free 50 text massages, that I think are good for 30 days, and free incoming calls, except if they call pay phone or locotorio. That's true with all the cell phones in Argentina.

Many people like Movistar or Personal. I don't know there prices since I have not used them.

Also check what phones work in BA on this site, to make sure the phone you pick will work in BA.

El Queso
06-01-09, 20:42
Those prices are certainly much better than what your current provider will probably charge you by the minute for any international roaming calls. However, as an example, I used to get prepaid cards to call Argentina from the US which cost me a.17 (USD) per minute. I can call Argentina from a US phone number via Skype and it costs me about the same.79 seems rather excessive. Not sure about local rates.

I'd take Tessan's advice and get your phone unlocked (many take about a minute to do once you know the steps and the code) and just buy a chip down here. Movistar (my favorite) Claro (used to have it and had minor problems) and Personal (probably best not to use) locations are all over the place here. Buy a chip, buy a card to charge it with and you're set.

It would be as easy to take Joe's advice next if for some reason you couldn't get your phone unlocked. Just buy a cheap POS and use that here. It's what I did when I first came.

I don't remember what the actual rates are, but I'm betting they're way, way cheaper than what you quoted. And the prices don't seem to include the per-call fee that is charged (at least by my carrier and Personal) just to initiate a call. Plus, like Jackson says, they are charging you for any incoming calls too (at.29/ minute! If you use the phone to communicate with chicas, they will be calling you too.

Apologize for not posting the rates; just laziness! First week's rental is free; additional weeks are US$ 7; insurance is US$ 5.

These are the quoted rates in US dollars:

Local $ 0.29

National $ 0.58

Argentina - Mercosur $ 0.89

Argentina - U. S. $ 0.79 - Special Promotion.

Argentina - Europe $ 1.28

Incoming minute $ 0.29

Joe Hernandez
06-01-09, 20:50
If you don't want that your name can be traced back through your number you can tell the guy you didnt bring your pasport and invent a name and a pasport number.

I have had succes with Donald Duck

Member #3320
06-02-09, 04:11
I used personal "pay as you go" last year for 3 months and it was pretty bad / very very expensive.

I used to upload it very often (say 20 pesos) and it used to finish off v quickly in matter of minutes (5~8 minutes) of talk time.

Then I started loading it with 100 pesos, it was slightly better as you get 20 pesos bonus on it.

Personal is NOT recommended in my opinion.

Maybe Movistar or Claro would be better.

Locals told me, Movistar is the BEST.

Ideally anywhere in the world, its always best / cheaper to have a post paid connection.

Joe Hernandez
06-02-09, 06:17
I used personal "pay as you go" last year for 3 months and it was pretty bad / very very expensive.

I used to upload it very often (say 20 pesos) and it used to finish off v quickly in matter of minutes (5~8 minutes) of talk time.

Then I started loading it with 100 pesos, it was slightly better as you get 20 pesos bonus on it.

Personal is NOT recommended in my opinion.

Maybe Movistar or Claro would be better.

Locals told me, Movistar is the BEST.

Ideally anywhere in the world, its always best / cheaper to have a post paid connection.I think it's only cheap to call if you have a (2 year) contract but as far as I know it's not possible for non residents to sign the contract.

I use personal and have used movistar, I didnt note a lot of difference. I useally upload 60 to 80 peso a month but I mainly use my cell to sms. If I have to call I normally use a locutorio or call from home

BadMan
06-02-09, 23:34
The best carriers in Buenos Aires Capital are Personal and MoviStar, period. No questions asked. Claro has always been known for poor reception in the Capital, but it does have the greatest range of coverage in Argentina as a whole. So if you plan on traveling only with in Capital Federal, I would suggest Personal and Movistar, pricing is pretty much the same.

If you plan on traveling throughout Argentina, I would suggest you try Claro. But as a whole, if pricing is an issue, STAY OFF THE CELL PHONE. This is a Latin American country and as such rates aren't very low.

Pretty much every apartment that you rent should have a restricted land line that you can use for making calls to other landlines. You should only really need the cell phone to call other cell phones. My cell phone conversations usually last on the whole about 5 minutes. So it isn't much of an issue for me.

--------------

VA Steve, If you are renting an apartment, I would suggest you ask your rental agent to throw in a free cell phone rental and you buy your own minutes. Done deal.

I usually get many requests from people wanting to rent cell phones from my company. I usually give them the cell phone for free if I have some on hand. If I don't have any on hand, I try really hard to talk them out of renting phones only because it isn't really necessary. Just bring an unlocked cell phone from the states that will cost you $ 40 bucks, buy a SIM card for $ 20 pesos and top up your own minutes. Don't buy cell phones in Argentina, like most electronics, they are terribly over priced.

If you are a frequent visitor, I would suggest you try to get a cell phone with a contract, and use it while you are in town.

Regards,

BM.

BTW, If you do end up renting a cell phone I wouldn't advise that you falsify any information on the rental agreement, not only is it illegal, but there are liability issues as well. Dun be a weasel.

Joe Hernandez
06-02-09, 23:51
BTW, If you do end up renting a cell phone I wouldn't advise that you falsify any information on the rental agreement, not only is it illegal, but there are liability issues as well. Dun be a weasel.This might be different for a 2 year contract but really nobody cares about the pre-paid contracts. If you don't provide a adress they just fill out theirs and if they were serious about it they would demand a pasport.

If you are scared of the legal consequences you can just fill it out with unreadable writing

BadMan
06-03-09, 00:24
No need to reply. I stated my opinion.

You stated yours. They both remain unchanged.

Regards,

BM

Ampfofu
06-09-09, 20:04
I bring my Nextel with me. Walkie talkie works perfect back to the USA. No extra charges with my plan for international walkie talkie.

Stan Da Man
07-28-09, 11:03
Anyone tried Google Voice to Argentina, or while in Argentina?

Rates are supposedly $.03/ Minute to Land Lines, and $.16 per minute to cell phones. http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?answer=141925

I don't know how this compares to "normal" mobile phone calling plans. Certainly it can't beat Skype-to-Skype calls. Also, I don't know if it works while in Argentina. I was in Brazil last week and could not set up Google Voice while there. I had to wait until I came back to the States to do so.

If anyone has tried this, please report back on how it works -- and if it works while in Argentina. If not, I'll post my conclusions later in August. It might be an alternative to local chips, if it works.

Myomy
08-04-09, 15:37
I'm ready to change from a regular cell phone to a smart phone. Anyone with advice on the "latest-greatest" phone out there? One that might assist me in communicating within Argentina and back to the US. And, what is the most cost effective way to utilize the smart phone in Argentina?

Thanks Guys,

Latuna

Kevins
08-04-09, 18:34
As one who used to have to go downtown to make n international call back in the old days (zzzzzzz) the alternatives today are incredible.

Today I use.

1. When I have to reach from wherever to wherever easily.

www.comfi.com I pay online with creditcard in 5, 10 dollar amounts and using any browser anywhere I connect two phones (cell or land or mixed )anywhere together paying very cheap rates. Plus I always have my address book whereever I am and if I am at friends house I can sit and call anywhere and my friend pays nothing and I have two phones anywhere connected.

2. Anyone who I call repeatedly I have skype and a 3 meg fibertel line and the voice only quality is absolutely outstanding and free (I already have to have and pay for the line as an IT consultant who works remotely)

3. I always prefer and try to use land line to communicate overseas if possible as the quality of sound and voice to both sides is much better but if i have to use cell i still run it through the comfi system if i can...(In the states it works with sms also)

Myomy
08-04-09, 21:02
Kevins, you da man. I would have never known this info. What a great solution. My cell phone calls there last year were $4.99 a minute!

Thanks Man

Tessan
08-05-09, 00:18
Kevins,

I used calling card that I brought on Comfi, the last few years to call the US. I was in BA Jan. to April, and the local access number did not work, both the local BA as well as the 0800 number did not work. It had worked the previous few years, but did not work this last trip. I had to use skype on my laptop.

Are the number working now? I was thinking of trying Magic Jack for my next trip.

Damman
08-05-09, 01:47
For whatever it is worth:

Have an unlocked Iphone 2g with the Sype App. It has worked out quite well. Unlimited calls for Argentine land lines: 5.95 a month. Wifi is quite prevalent in BA and easy to access. I even used Skype on a locked Iphone to make local calls in BA. It is a work around. http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/subscriptions/?region=uscanada&country=AR

Tessan
08-05-09, 10:22
For whatever it is worth:

Have an unlocked Iphone 2g with the Sype App. It has worked out quite well. Unlimited calls for Argentine land lines: 5.95 a month. Wifi is quite prevalent in BA and easy to access. I even used Skype on a locked Iphone to make local calls in BA. It is a work around. http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/subscriptions/?region=uscanada&country=ARI have an unlocked G1 phone. The Skype app I had would call a phone number in the USA, so it was worthless in Argentina. I was already calling the USA to make the Skype call, which is pointless. Is there a different Skype app for the Iphone, which does not call a landline in the USA?

I tried to us it, using a g3 connection; it would always call a landline in the US. I tried it with Wi-Fi, same thing. I read something somewhere, where the cell companies don't want people using there g3 connection to make call, since they would not use up there minutes, so they banned phone app, that use the g3. I would guess it is the same thing for the Iphone.

On the other hand, if you're in the US trying to call Argentina, it will work fine, except you use some of your air time minutes. I have unlimmited minutes, so it does not matter to me. If you call from a normal computer, you don't need to use minutes.

Damman
08-05-09, 13:47
Tessan,

Perhaps I am having an Alzheimer moment here. Road tested all this stuff last month when I was in Buenos Aires. On the unlocked phone with 2.2 OS, first generation Iphone, Skype app worked without a hitch, USA, AR, no restrictions, no nothing. Called Bubble Fuck Egypt and was good to go. Use T mobile wifi hot spot in US airports. Subscribe to their 24hr access plan when on the road.

For the locked (ATT) Iphone, first generation, Skype app worked without a hitch in Argentina, airplane mode on, wifi on. In the US, the Skype app worked without any restrictions when connected to a dedicated T mobile tower: airplane on, wifi on. However, it seems T mobile has an agreement with ATT to share services in certain airports and when I was on an ATT wifi system, even though I was a T mobile wifi subscriber, Skype would not work on an ATT system. I will be returning in three weeks and will find out if I am full of shit and this really is an Alzheimer thing.

Jaimito Cartero
08-05-09, 14:12
I was thinking of trying Magic Jack for my next trip.Magic Jack works okay, as long as you have a good connection speed. There are times that it just won't let you call certain numbers, I have no idea why. For $20 a year, it's worth it. It's also nice, since it will send you an email with voicemail when it comes in.

David_33
08-05-09, 19:51
Just picked mine up in the U. S. I'm happy. Got back to Lima, stuck in my Peruvian Sim chip and everything worked fine.

Master J
08-29-09, 17:17
Just confirmed that the motorola 195s is in fact locked not as it was sold to me as unlocked. F****ked!

Pesonal says I can go to cell phone chip place and they will put in a chip and then the simm card. But does this destroy the phone for good or use in the states?

I really need to be accessible from the states these next two weeks. Any help / ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Jaggar
09-03-09, 20:19
What is best (Price / Performance) phone option?

This is for one already in B. Aires.

Suerte.

Jaggar

Josenext
09-18-09, 09:37
Does anyone have a good place to get a phone unlocked in a couple of hours? I hear that the price varies from 40-100 pesos. I want someone that is close to Microcenter and that is reliable.

Thanks.

Jose

Damman
09-18-09, 10:21
Does anyone have a good place to get a phone unlocked in a couple of hours? I hear that the price varies from 40-100 pesos. I want someone that is close to Microcenter and that is reliable.

Thanks.

JoseMake and model? Have used unique phones over the Internet many tines and very satisfied. http://www.uniquephones.com/

Giovanni B
09-18-09, 16:59
Make and model? Have used unique phones over the Internet many tines and very satisfied. http://www.uniquephones.com/I have a TRACFONE and there seems to be an issue with this company and the way they locked the phones. Motorola W376g

Damman
09-18-09, 17:20
I have a TRACFONE and there seems to be an issue with this company and the way they locked the phones. Motorola W376gThink you are screwed. From what I understand, you get it unlocked and it will only work for the time remaining on the "prepaid." They got some kind of "Kung Foo" security stuff. It is a waste of time and money I think.

This cell phone company shit is ridiculous. So much for the unregulated free trade market lover's BS.

Kleinberg
09-18-09, 17:49

Thanks.

JoseIknow, it is not in Microcentro but several ones I tried in Microcentro couldn't do the job. (phones models unknown in Argentina)

I had two phones unlocked in the phone shop which is inside Palermo train station just a the entry before the stairs (it is only a short train or subte travel) Let them in the afternoon, got them the next morning.

Jaggar
09-18-09, 23:04
I am not an expert but was advised by a local friend to get a pre pago phone from Movistar.

Suerte,

Jaggar

Beezer
10-01-09, 19:46
I was going to bring down a couple of unlocked phones.

Will LG phones work in BsA?

I know Motorolas are good.

Which brand is best?

Beezer

Member #3320
10-01-09, 21:16
Hi,

Sorry for sounding like a "illiterate fool".

But can someone please explain me when are we supposed to use the prefix "11" before dialing a cellphone number as opposed to putting the prefix "15". I am v v confused and illiterate on this subject of dialing BA cellphone numbers either from another cellphone or from a land line or from a international phone.

Kindly enlighten me.

Thanks.

Gato Hunter
10-01-09, 23:24

Which brand is best?

BeezerYou need to bring GSM phones. In the US that's T mobile and ATT. Verizon is CDMA. I don't believe there are any CDMA carriers in Argentina.

Rock Harders
10-02-09, 00:48
Mongers,

Here is the low down on Argentine cellphones: When dialing from a landline to a cellphone, the prefix "15" must be used in front of the 8 digit number. When dialing from a cellphone to another cellphone, the prefix "011" can be used, which is the city code for Buenos Aires and its environs. The advantage to using "011" in lieu of "15" is that incoming cellphone calls will show up with the "011" prefix and NOT the "15" prefix, meaning numbers stored in your cellphone's contacts with the "15" prefix will NOT show up when receiving a call from that number. As such, cellphone numbers should always be stored in your cellphone contacts using the "011" prefix.

When calling a cellphone from outside Argentina, the prefix "911" must be used after the country code (54) and before the 8 digit phone number.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Gato Hunter
10-02-09, 01:44
Thanks for keeping it real.

This post was more informative than any political talk I have ever heard.

I knew about the 11 and 15 but never figured it out.

Cheers!

GH

Member #3320
10-02-09, 04:46
Mongers-

Here is the low down on Argentine cellphones: When dialing from a landline to a cellphone, the prefix "15" must be used in front of the 8 digit number. When dialing from a cellphone to another cellphone, the prefix "011" can be used, which is the city code for Buenos Aires and its environs. The advantage to using "011" in lieu of "15" is that incoming cellphone calls will show up with the "011" prefix and NOT the "15" prefix, meaning numbers stored in your cellphone's contacts with the "15" prefix will NOT show up when receiving a call from that number. As such, cellphone numbers should always be stored in your cellphone contacts using the "011" prefix.

When calling a cellphone from outside Argentina, the prefix "911" must be used after the country code (54) and before the 8 digit phone number.

Suerte,

Rock HardersThanks RH.

Highly appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Wild Walleye
10-02-09, 12:35
You need to bring GSM phones. In the US that's T mobile and ATT. Verizon is CDMA. I don't believe there are any CDMA carriers in Argentina.In addition, you will want to make sure that the GSM phones work within the frequency bands that are used in Argentina, which are 850MHz and 1900MHz. A quad band phone (also works on 900MHz and 1800MHz, usually) will be your best bet to insure interoperability with one of the carriers in Bs As. If the phone is unlocked, you should be able to pop in a local sim card and have service.

If you have not unlocked the phone, make sure to do so in the country where you got it so that the phone can communicate with the network (to which it is locked) during the unlocking process.

I have used many different phones in Bs As, the only one that would not work is a tri-band phone that does not work on 850MHz.

If you have an extra "cool" unlocked phone (the more current and hip the better) that will work in Bs As, you may want to consider giving it to your favorita, since gadgets like that are pretty pricey in Bs As.

Lysander
10-02-09, 14:41
In addition, you will want to make sure that the GSM phones work within the frequency bands that are used in Argentina, which are 850MHz and 1900MHz. A quad band phone (also works on 900MHz and 1800MHz, usually) will be your best bet to insure interoperability with one of the carriers in Bs As. If the phone is unlocked, you should be able to pop in a local sim card and have service.

If you have not unlocked the phone, make sure to do so in the country where you got it so that the phone can communicate with the network (to which it is locked) during the unlocking process.

I have used many different phones in Bs As, the only one that would not work is a tri-band phone that does not work on 850MHz.

If you have an extra "cool" unlocked phone (the more current and hip the better) that will work in Bs As, you may want to consider giving it to your favorita, since gadgets like that are pretty pricey in Bs As.As you say, extra cool phones are quite pricey, and for this reason a tempting target for light fingered ladrones. Maybe better to bring a cheap unlocked tri-band phone and buy a pay-as-you go sim card as soon as you arrive. Its probably worth it, even if you are only here for a week. Because making voice calls in Argentina is relatively expensive, chicas tend to prefer text messaging - also more discrete and convenient for both parties when setting up dates. If you switch the phone over to the Spanish language option, it makes sending T9 predictive texts in Spanish a whole lot easier.

Damman
10-02-09, 14:55
As you say, extra cool phones are quite pricey, and for this reason a tempting target for light fingered ladrones.Very wise advice. A fancy phone will attract the type of attention you are not looking for. Sold a smart phone to a local friend and he was flashing it around, "Gone In 60 Seconds."

El Queso
10-02-09, 15:13

Which brand is best?

BeezerI had a friend bring my wife an LG KG990 from the States a couple of months ago and it works fine.

Wild Walleye
10-02-09, 16:55
As always, keeping a low profile can help avoid certain problems. For example, if you have a very cool phone (iphone, etc) do not leave it sitting on the restaurant table especially when sitting outside.

The phones I use locally, are pretty mundane (no need for 3G or connectivity) and small, whereas my work phones are high-end smart phones. When I go 'out,' I just take the local phone. If it gets lost or stole, it is no big loss.

Damman
10-06-09, 20:34
Bit of a surprise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/technology/companies/07phone.html

AllIWantIsLove
01-28-10, 20:56
I made my annual pilgrimage to the Personal office on Callao today to get my cellphone working here and the experience was better than usual. First of all there was practically no line. I don't know if that was luck or if they have improved their process. Then I was concerned about not having my passport with me. But when they understood that I had used their service last year they were able to find my passport number in their system and that was good enough.

Then I had a short wait for the guy who does the real work and he spoke passable English. My chip from last year no longer was valid so he gave me, no charge, a new chip - and made it be the same number as I had last year. He told me the number would be in service within 24 hours. Based on past experience that is optimistic. I wanted to buy time but he said that I could not buy time until the number was in service. That hasn't been the case in the past but in the past I was buying a new number. Maybe it is different when a previously used number is being rehabilitated.

Bob

Moore
01-30-10, 02:31
I'd like to rent a phone for about 2 weeks during an upcoming trip. Though I'm sure there is information posted I did not see it in the last 40 posts going back to September. I'd probably start at Movistar on Corrientes, but maybe there's an easier method? What is the best way? I have a DNI.

I don't need anything special, just something that works.

Thanks,

Moore

Argento
01-30-10, 03:46
I'd like to rent a phone for about 2 weeks during an upcoming trip. Though I'm sure there is information posted I did not see it in the last 40 posts going back to September. I'd probably start at Movistar on Corrientes, but maybe there's an easier method? What is the best way? I have a DNI.

Thanks,

MooreYou can buy a used one in Once for 30 pesos and a chip is 15 pesos. Why rent?

Argento

Moore
01-30-10, 04:34
You can buy a used one in Once for 30 pesos and a chip is 15 pesos. Why rent?

ArgentoI didn't know that, never had to get a short term phone before.

If it's that simple and that cheap, I'll do it.

Facundo
01-30-10, 09:00
You can buy a used one in Once for 30 pesos and a chip is 15 pesos. Why rent?

ArgentoInvestigation after investigation and reporting by reporters has shown over and over again that the majority of these telephones are stolen. Some people have been harmed physically and others killed while being robbed of their telephones. I don't remember exactly but I believe a cellular phone is stolen every ten seconds in city of Buenos Aires. These phones are sold for a few pesos to these shops who in turn sell them to up-standing Argentine citizens who complain of the lack of security in the city of Buenos Aires.

Seaman
01-30-10, 10:51

Thanks,

MooreIn the tunnel (north) between Carlos Peligrini and Cerrito, running under 9 de julio, you will find a small shop selling you pre-activated (new) chips for 10 pesos. He sells Personal and Movistar for sure, I would expect him to sell Claro as well. Bring your phone with you and you can try on the spot if the chip will work in your phone.

El Queso
01-30-10, 16:50
I agree with Facundo about the stolen phones - and screw the punks that steal them! My brother-in-law has had his phone (and cash) stolen twice by little gangs of punks, and I'm sure they went and sold the phones afterwards for a few additional pesos on top of what they stole in cash.

You can, however, still buy phones relatively cheap here, if you're willing to buy a phone that is equally cheap - I. E. No bells and whistles whatsoever.

I've brought down 4 phones over the last couple of years, and every one of them have worked here with a chip from Claro, Movistar or Personal. To me, that's the best way to do it. The chip is peanuts and you have your own phone to use.

Wild Walleye
02-01-10, 14:16
Cheeseman is correct if you have either of these providers, then you have a GSM phone (I. E. The phone has a SIM card inside it) which under certain circumstances can be used elsewhere.

I have a large collection of unlocked gsm phones (mostly smart phones / PDAs) sitting on my desk and in drawers in my office that I have collected. However, for my local phone (in any of the far flung places I go) I prefer a simple, small phone (I only use text and voice local services) I also do not use one of the phones that I regularly use in the US as my day-to-day phones.

With your local SIM, if you use the phone for 'fun' you may want to familiarize yourself with how to lock the SIM. You may also want to delete the memory and / or perform an occasional factory-reset. If you have a specific local phone (I. E. Something other than your day-to-day phone) it is probably best to store it with the battery and sim card removed (and stored in separate places (harder for someone else to put all the pieces together and will likely extend the life of the battery)

I do prefer to stick with the same brands as my other gear so that I can use multiple phones with the same chargers, USB cables, etc.

First, check the details of your ATT or T-Mobile phone (just google the model number) and see if it is at least a tri-band if not a quad band phone (this refers to the radio frequencies on which the phone will work-I think I previously posted the frequencies for the local carriers-if you have 850MHz it will definitely work in Bs As) Then you need to get the PUC (phone unlock code) from your carrier and unlock your phone before you leave the US! You cannot unlock the phone if you are not within the service provider's network. Your carrier should give you the code without a hassle. I can get mine (for my current phones) directly on the website without assistance. Call customer service, tell them you travel all the time and need the code (they should give it to you)

Alternatively,.

- Go on ebay and buy an unlocked, quad-band phone (unlocked so you don't have to) When you get to Bs As, buy a chip and stick it in (hmmm, sounds like advice for another thread) or.

- Go to one of the major guys and buy the cheapest, no-frills phone with SIM and minutes.

I agree with Facundo about the stolen phones - and screw the punks that steal them! My brother-in-law has had his phone (and cash) stolen twice by little gangs of punks, and I'm sure they went and sold the phones afterwards for a few additional pesos on top of what they stole in cash.As for these POSs, I suggest (again) this phone: http://www.defensedevices.com/cellphone-stun-gun.html

Beezer
02-22-10, 12:16
I have a three year old Motarola RAZR phone from the USA.

Can you recomend someone / shop to unlock it?

I am staying in el cento (the triangle)

Thanks.

Beezer

AllIWantIsLove
02-22-10, 12:28
A few years ago when I first took my Razr to the Personal office on Callao it looked to me like they were prepared to unlock it. In fact I think they might have verified that it was unlocked. It was already unlocked, and I knew that, but did not know how to tell them that in Spanish.

Good Luck, Bob.

Thanks.

Beezer

Artisttyp
02-22-10, 14:13

Thanks.

BeezerYou can always buy a cheap unlocked cell phone on ebay. I just bought a new motorola kzr1 for $85.

I've seen some unlocked phones go for as low as $25/40. Just buy a sim for a few pesos and you are in business.

A RAZR would be a bummer to lose. Mine was stolen from me recently.

Wild Walleye
02-22-10, 15:09

Thanks.

BeezerIf so, you might be able to get the unlock code from the original provider (although if you are no longer a customer, their incentive to be helpful is lower (e. g. nonexistent) If you still get service from them, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I am not sure if it is possible to unlock a phone unless you are within reach of the network to which it was originally locked (although, I may be wrong about this)

I have never tried the services that you see advertised online.

WorldTravel69
02-23-10, 14:34
Here is a good place to buy cellphones.

I bought a Motorola V9.

I know it is not the latest, but the price was right. I also do not need all the extra bells and whistles.

http://www.myworldphone.com/

Beezer
02-24-10, 12:47
I found a shop about a block down from Hook / Catto's on Supachia (towards Cordoba)

50 p to unlock a Motorola RAZR.

I also came down on this trip with a little refurbished and unlocked LG Model CG225 that I bought on eBay in the USA for like $20.00.

These are cheap, easy to set up with a cheap simm and bada bing.

Beezer

Miami Bob
02-25-10, 00:43
This was the high point of the original razr technology--louder vlol, longer batty life and better signal. No camera. Can drop it and it doesn't break.

On ebay, they can be found with patience for under us$25 delivered. I currently have two--I've given away a few over the last few years. A very good simple gsm 4 band gem.

Franky Double
08-27-10, 22:47
I hope this is the right thread to ask my question. If not please nuke the post.

I went out and bought a prepaid SIM from a "Personal" vendor. Great now I can make calls, however I would like to be able to use data through the phone as well. The problem I have is the instructions and website is all in Spanish.

Can someone please help me with answering 3 questions:

1. How do I get data enabled so I can still use my phone for something else than voice calls?

2. Due to the language barrier (I can count to ten in spanish. Are you proud of me? What do I ask for when I need to top up my credit?

3. Is there a way that I can find out how much credit I still have on the sim?

Thanks guys

AllIWantIsLove
08-28-10, 02:22
1) No idea.

2) a) You can buy a card, I forget now what it is called, and then go through an automated dialog on the phone, in Spanish, of course, and enter some numbers from the card. You need decent Spanish, or a Spanish speaking friend, to do this.

Or be) There's a way to buy more time / credit and have it added directly to your account by the person selling it. Unfortunately I cannot recall how to identify the places which can do this. I think that you ask for "más tiempo" or "más credito". Usually the people selling more time / credit speak some English.

3) "*150#" will cause the remaining credit to be displayed on the screen.

Bob.

I hope this is the right thread to ask my question. If not please nuke the post.

I went out and bought a prepaid SIM from a "Personal" vendor. Great now I can make calls, however I would like to be able to use data through the phone as well. The problem I have is the instructions and website is all in Spanish.

1. How do I get data enabled so I can still use my phone for something else than voice calls?

2. Due to the language barrier (I can count to ten in spanish. Are you proud of me? What do I ask for when I need to top up my credit?

Thanks guys

Sysco234
08-28-10, 12:32
If it's like my Blackberry you need to configure the APN settings appropriately. Google "International APN settings" to get the appropriate information for Argentina and Personal.

For anyone who might care now, or in the future, here is what I had to do to get my Blackberry working with a prepaid Movistar SIM card. I went with Movistar because I could not research how to do this with Personal. This was not an easy process by any means on the Blackberry because much of the software is held hostage by the Blackberry Internet Service. My setup is so I don't have to pay for any plan that requires this service. However, it means I have a very dumbed down Blackberry while here. But I have a Browser, Email, Texting, and Phone, that covers the majority of my needs.

Necessary Software.

You need to use Gmail for the mail client and Opera for the web browser. I would suggest installing these before you get to Buenos Aires while you still have BIS. If not, you need to download the sofware to your PC and use the Desktop manager to install these applications. You will need to create a gmail account online and configure the gmail client with the username and password. If you can't do this without help, you really won't get the next part;-)

Blackberry TCP / IP and APN setup.

I won't got into too much of these details but in order to use the Internet you need to inable APN and WAP capabilities in the TCP / IP advanced settings. This may be true for Personal as well, I just don't know how to configure for Personal.

On the Blackberry under Options / Advanced Options / "TCP / IP"

Check the "APN Settings Enabled" check box.

Under APN: you need the following url: internet. Gprs. Unifon. Com. Ar.

Check the "APN Authentication Enabled" check box.

For username and password us "wap" and "wap"

Movistar Data Service.

You need to pay for the data service (Dato) which is 9 pesos for 2 days or 1GB of data, whichever comes first. I've actually found that the service lasts longer then the 2 days so I just wait until I'm unable use any data servcies before paying for it again.

Text "Dato" to 2345. You will get a text back right away confirming the request and another once the service is enabled.

When this service is working you should see EDGE in the upper right corner near your service bars.

Sysco

Seaman
08-28-10, 13:08

Thanks guys1) Normally an access point is automatically defined the moment the SIM card is inserted in the phone.

2) Ask for "Tarjeta Personal Light" (Pronounce like "Targeta Personal Lite") at a kiosko. You can also do a "recarga virtual" but that requires more spanish skills. Buy a few cards at a time, this because they become less available due to the easier system of "recarga virtual". Buy $30 or $50 cards. Personal offers specials a few times a week, like double time etc, but you need to top up with at least $30 to be eligible for these specials. If you do not want to use the voice response system to top up, you can use their SMS top up system. Just enter in an SMS message "REC <number>" (So that is the word "REC" + space + number of card without spaces) to telephone number 151. You should get a message back to confirm the top up.

3) Like mentioned before: enter "*150#", press the "call" button (the green one) and you should get a message on your display telling you how much you have left. The system is sometimes a bit slow / unavailable, but just give it a few tries. But.... If you run out of credit, you will get a message in Spanish telling you to top up to keep your line active etc. It will not show your "saldo" as $0.00. In case you have a bonus amount left, and you run out of credit, you can not use your phone. You have to top it up first to be able to use the bonus. (The bonus is not lost when you reach 0.00 on your regular saldo) Most bonus amounts only count towards calls to other Personal phones.

Miamipro
08-28-10, 20:45
Does anyone have experience activating a Jailbroken nd Unlocked iphone? I have one and just need to know if its as simple as getting the sim card and putting it in?

Franky Double
08-29-10, 01:56
Does anyone have experience activating a Jailbroken nd Unlocked iphone? I have one and just need to know if its as simple as getting the sim card and putting it in?I have an unlocked iPhone and it works. Simply insert the sim from a local service provider.

And I found the answer to my own question nr 1:

Change the APN as follows:

APN: gprs dot personal dot com (no spaces and replace "dot" with . )

User: gprs

Password: adgj

Miamipro
08-29-10, 14:42
Frank,

Thanks for that info.

I wonder if the have the smaller SIM cards for the iphone 4?

Easy Go
08-29-10, 16:37
Unlikely, but the instructions to cut down a regular SIM to fit in an iPhone / iPad are easily found on the Internet.

Miamipro
08-29-10, 20:22
Yea I actually know how to do this and would make it my plan B. Not to be confused with the female contraceptive.

Jackpot
10-04-10, 09:43
I've got a NET 10 phone that is a Nokia.

It now has run out of airtime and stopped working with my prepaid Personel.

Chip, which has been loaded with 30 pesos of time.

It is not economical to re-up the Net10 time by calling the USA.

Is there any one with knowledge of how to get this to work.

With bypassing the Net 10 block?

If not, does any one have a phone for sale so I can put my chip in it.

And it running?

Jackpot

Jaimito Cartero
10-04-10, 11:26
I'm not familiar with your phone, but if it's just locked, then many cell phone places can unlock it. I paid 50 pesos or so the last time I did this. Included a sim card and time too.

WorldTravel69
10-04-10, 18:14
Try this place. I used it and have had no problems.

http://www.myworldphone.com/?Gclid=CID1-4idjKQCFQT5iAodJDESIg

I've got a NET 10 phone that is a Nokia.

It now has run out of airtime and stopped working with my prepaid Personel.

Chip, which has been loaded with 30 pesos of time.

It is not economical to re-up the Net10 time by calling the USA.

Is there any one with knowledge of how to get this to work.

With bypassing the Net 10 block?

If not, does any one have a phone for sale so I can put my chip in it.

And it running?

Jackpot

Jackpot
10-05-10, 18:44
Hey guys,

Got my old 5 year old cell phone back on the air with the help of a shop owner.

Shop is between Paraguay and Cordoba on right side, walking with traffic flow, 100 yards from Cordoba.

Still trying to find a place that can unblock the Nokia Net 10 curse.

Jackpot

Mpexy
01-30-11, 02:24
Thought I would reactivate my 3yr ago phone with CTI but their big store on Florida couple streets up from Gallerias Pacifico was no longer there, seems to be renamed Claro now and everyone complains their coverage is bad.

So unless on a really tight budget or you get an apt with loaner phone, it's pretty cheap to buy a new one.

On Florida couple streets up from Galleria Pacifico side exit onto Florida is a small authorized vendor of Personal. There is a much larger company owned store from MovieStar a block up but they told me only contract phones, no pre-paid.

295p for basic good enough Motorola, only comes with 10p air credit so throw in another 100p card and fairly cheap $100 US all in.

Tip- address they ask you for is two levels below pro forma. Seems you just give any address, no check. Asked for any I'd but didn't insist on passport, drivers license was fine.

Told me 2 hrs to activate, ended up taking 6. And unlike last phone from CTI, text messaging was not functional until I returned the automated vocemail telling me phone was now active and asking for some code or "codigo" to enter. Punch in any number and text messaging enabled

Jackpot
03-09-11, 21:13
HELP!

Got ripped off today and need a cheap replacement cell phone.

Please PM me if you can help.

Jackpot

Punter 127
03-09-11, 23:36
HELP!

Got ripped off today and need a cheap replacement cell phone.

Please PM me if you can help.

JackpotI've got one I'll give you Mr. Cheap-O, come and get it! . LOL

Hooky
02-12-12, 18:09
Anyone using a rented or other smart phone in BA?

I know, it is one more thing to get ripped off, darn it!

Just thought it would be nice for navigation and web browsing when out and about.

I'm guessing a rental would be exorbitant or non-existent. Also I'm not up to date on what services are offered. Do they have 3G?

OK thanks!

Seaman
02-12-12, 20:17
Of course there is 3G service available! I don't understand why you think there wouldn't be?

You can use any phone which can work at 850/1900MHz; Quad band phones are working without a problem.

If you are afraid of getting ripped off, you can buy a local cheap phone for AR$179 at Fravega. If you ask TL, he might be able to help you with getting one. (Make sure you bring your passport, since they will register the SIM card in your name.)

Hooky
02-13-12, 00:43
Eh thanks Mr. Seaman, maybe it was an outdated post I read on one of the travel forums. Or perhaps it was questioning whether 4G / LTE was widely available at this time, I dunno, I am not much of a techie.

So I appreciate you setting me straight.

Like I said I wouldn't mind having a data plan as well just for fun and utility.

This TL guy, his name keeps cropping up, sounds very knowledgeable!

Best regards,

Of course there is 3G service available! I don't understand why you think there wouldn't be?

You can use any phone which can work at 850/1900MHz; Quad band phones are working without a problem.

If you are afraid of getting ripped off, you can buy a local cheap phone for AR$179 at Fravega. If you ask TL, he might be able to help you with getting one. (Make sure you bring your passport, since they will register the SIM card in your name.)

Jim Mac
03-01-12, 16:12
Can anyone tell me a good place where I can easily purchase a micro-sim and a pre-paid data plan for my iPad? I'd prefer a place where I can make the purchase quickly with a minimum or absence of Argentine bureaucracy.

TejanoLibre
03-01-12, 19:08
Eh thanks Mr. Seaman, maybe it was an outdated post I read on one of the travel forums. Or perhaps it was questioning whether 4G / LTE was widely available at this time, I dunno, I am not much of a techie.

So I appreciate you setting me straight.

Like I said I wouldn't mind having a data plan as well just for fun and utility.

This TL guy, his name keeps cropping up, sounds very knowledgeable!

Best regards, Man, I only know about prepaid phone cards and long term plans but we can go and check it out.

I'm not a phone guy but the Argies are like this :

If they can fake it, copy it, steal it, make money with it or forge it then you can get anything you want!

Best bet :

Buy an unblocked phone on E-Bay that will work in BA for very little. Even used.

When you arrive I will get you a sim card and you are in biz!

There is a cell phone Hack where you can have FREE CELL MINUTES for life!

Or untill they catch you!

TL

Hooky
03-02-12, 03:27
Hola.

Yes I've been doing exactly that, looking at GSM phones on ebay, I kinda like the Moto Razr V3.

Here's a guy on ebay selling prepaid SIM cards with data available for $2. 50USD per day which is not bad for my purposes.

Only thing I don't get, the outgoing voice calls within Argentina are 50 cents US per minute. That seems exorbitant.

I've heard that the cards down there you can buy them with bonus deals where the minutes are doubled / tripled etc so the cost comes down a bit.

Not planning on being that chatty but anyway is it really that much to make voice call? Yeah I know why texting was so popular in the Phillipines, etc, basically 2 cents to text, much more for voice.

So what's the deal?

And, thanks for all of your help and advice!

TejanoLibre
03-02-12, 05:07
Hola.

Yes I've been doing exactly that, looking at GSM phones on ebay, I kinda like the Moto Razr V3.

Here's a guy on ebay selling prepaid SIM cards with data available for $2. 50USD per day which is not bad for my purposes.

Only thing I don't get, the outgoing voice calls within Argentina are 50 cents US per minute. That seems exorbitant.

I've heard that the cards down there you can buy them with bonus deals where the minutes are doubled / tripled etc so the cost comes down a bit.

Not planning on being that chatty but anyway is it really that much to make voice call? Yeah I know why texting was so popular in the Phillipines, etc, basically 2 cents to text, much more for voice.

So what's the deal?

And, thanks for all of your help and advice!There are double and triple your credit bonuses but they only apply to calls that are made from your provider to a cell phone that is using the same provider as you.

Rinky deal!

You may also get 3000 sms to use in 3 FUCKING days!

Cell phone calls are not cheap and neither is texting.

Hack that mother fucker for free calls forever!

Hack that mofo to send you ALL of your girlfriend's messages!

Hack that piece of shit to change your ex-girl's phone number!

Just buy a phone and load it up with cards down here man!

There are 3 phone companies so buy an unlocked phone.

TL

Damman
03-02-12, 11:52
Can anyone tell me a good place where I can easily purchase a micro-sim and a pre-paid data plan for my iPad? I'd prefer a place where I can make the purchase quickly with a minimum or absence of Argentine bureaucracy.Http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SIM-Cutter-Converter-adapters/dp/B003UEWF8I

WorldTravel69
03-02-12, 12:28
Try this site. Get an unlocked, quad band, phone.

http://www.myworldphone.com/?Gclid=CID1-4idjKQCFQT5iAodJDESIg

Anyone using a rented or other smart phone in BA?

I know, it is one more thing to get ripped off, darn it!

Just thought it would be nice for navigation and web browsing when out and about.

I'm guessing a rental would be exorbitant or non-existent. Also I'm not up to date on what services are offered. Do they have 3G?

OK thanks!

Gandolf50
03-02-12, 15:04
Try this site. Get an unlocked, quad band, phone.

http://www.myworldphone.com/?Gclid=CID1-4idjKQCFQT5iAodJDESIg3G is pretty wide spread now. Even out in the boondocks I sometimes pick it up. Rentals used to be available in the airport but now that I think about it I haven't seen them for a while.

Seaman
03-02-12, 23:37
A micro SIM you can cut out of a regular SIM. (As others indicated)

If you get a Personal pre-paid SIM, then you can use their promotion of "unlimited" (?) internet for AR$1. 00 per day. I have no idea regarding the speed etc, but it is the easiest / cheapest way. If you get the SIM at one of the street vendors there will be zero paperwork involved, except for the exchange of 5 or 10 pesos.

Hooky
03-03-12, 01:38
OK that gives me plenty to think about.

Main decision will be whether to go to the extra hassle of doing a smartphone for internet and GPS. I'm thinking I'll likely find it too much hassle, as I don't have a GSM smart phone currently and the decent used ones are just a bit pricey.

TL you mean buy the card down there or the phone as well?

Lots of Moto Razr V3's reasonably priced on ebay, just pondering before pulling the trigger.

That's funny about the triple minutes and using all the texts in three days, if what you are saying is true.

Still think $.50USD is a bit steep per minute but I expect we'll work something out.

Cheers everyone, and many thanks for your help!

Gato Hunter
03-11-12, 00:38
What does an ipad2 3g go for these days?

TejanoLibre
03-11-12, 01:05
What does an ipad2 3g go for these days?$6000. 00 pesos for a loaded model I think!

How about the 4?

Pays for your trip dude!

Someone down here needs to sell it for you while you are here or after you leave!

TL.

PS- They stole my speakers that you brought me!

Hooky
03-11-12, 01:35
I ordered a 32G Wifi-only of the "new iPad" which was just announced on Wednesday. Rethought it and am thinking about sending it back for a 64G and 4G GSM model.

But the 64G won't get here in time for me to bring it down with me, I was thinking it would be convenient rather than using my CRAPPY NETBOOK! ! !

Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

So do the iPads sell at a premium down there?

$6000. 00 pesos for a loaded model I think!

How about the 4?

Pays for your trip dude!

Someone down here needs to sell it for you while you are here or after you leave!

TL.

PS- They stole my speakers that you brought me!

Easy Go
03-11-12, 22:26
I ordered a 32G Wifi-only of the "new iPad" which was just announced on Wednesday. Rethought it and am thinking about sending it back for a 64G and 4G GSM model.

But the 64G won't get here in time for me to bring it down with me, I was thinking it would be convenient rather than using my CRAPPY NETBOOK! ! !

Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

So do the iPads sell at a premium down there?Bring your netbook as you'll pay at least 1. 5-2x the USA price and have about zero chance of finding one of the new models for months. Not sure there is any 4G in Argentina that is compatible with the new iPad but 3G / Edge connections will work with a 3G (AT&T) model.

If you are adventuresome, buy the new one and bring the new one down and sell it. You should be able to get $US1000 for it if you can connect with a buyer.

Hooky
03-12-12, 01:06
What I meant was that I could bring down the one I ordered or send it back and re-order for the 64G 4G, which won't get here in time for me to bring it down.

By the time tax,"apple care", and a cheap case are figured in, it came to almost $800USD. So depending on whether there would be a market for the 32G Wifi "new" iPad down there, well that may figure into what I do.

Unless I find a new girlfriend down there and just give it to her for a going away present.

Bring your netbook as you'll pay at least 1. 5-2x the USA price and have about zero chance of finding one of the new models for months. Not sure there is any 4G in Argentina that is compatible with the new iPad but 3G / Edge connections will work with a 3G (AT&T) model.

If you are adventuresome, buy the new one and bring the new one down and sell it. You should be able to get $US1000 for it if you can connect with a buyer.

Big Boss Man
05-13-12, 10:13
My sim card from last June was inactivated. You need to ask around to find a new one. You can try an internet place on Callao between Cordoba and Viamonte.

SunSeeker
05-13-12, 10:29
My sim card from last June was inacti_ated. You need to ask around to find a new one. You can try an internet place on Callao between Cordoba and Biamonte. Sorry for the spelling I ha_e a bad key on my computer.Thank you sir. That is one of the things I will need to do soon after getting there. Along with finding a gym, getting laid, finding a supermercado, getting laid, finding a PC store, and getting laid. I figure it will take awhile, not the getting laid part LOL.

SunSeeker
05-28-12, 20:36
Any recommendations for a pre paid sim chip? Each company thinks theirs is the best so I'd Like to hear from an actual user. Best signal and coverage most important. Phone is a Galaxy S 2, unlocked. Arriving in BA 6 June.

TejanoLibre
05-28-12, 21:54
Any recommendations for a pre paid sim chip? Each company thinks theirs is the best so I'd Like to hear from an actual user. Best signal and coverage most important. Phone is a Galaxy S 2, unlocked. Arriving in BA 6 June.I use Personal and it's good enough for me.

Moviestar is supposed to be better and seems to have the most users which in the end you actually save money when you call other movistar clients just like I do when I call other Personal clients.

Claro seems to be the worst.

Since you will be using a pre-paid card it's pretty much pointless since a monthly plan is the way to go with any of them.

ALL of them will double and triple your credit during certain days of the week.

Down here with the girls it's all about texting.

Thanks,

TL.

P. S. A nice phone can get you killed! Even a shit phone! The national sports down here are Home Invasion followed by cell phone robbery!

SunSeeker
05-28-12, 23:51
I use Personal and it's good enough for me. Moviestar is supposed to be better and seems to have the most users which in the end you actually save money when you call other movistar clients just like I do when I call other Personal clients. Claro seems to be the worst.

Since you will be using a pre-paid card it's pretty much pointless since a monthly plan is the way to go with any of them.

ALL of them will double and triple your credit during certain days of the week.

Down here with the girls it's all about texting.

Thanks,

TL.

P. S. A nice phone can get you killed! Even a shit phone! The national sports down here are Home Invasion followed by cell phone robbery!Thanks TL. I didn't see anything good on the Claro website and Movistar seemed to have the best reviews but they were all 2 years old that I found online. I use TIM prepaid here in Rio so I thought prepaid would be the same in BA. Is there anything special needed to get a monthly package? DNI or anything like that? I'll be using it mostly for texting and contacting the chicas hehehe. I'll have to look at the Movistar and Personal packages I guess.

Here in Rio the phone doesn't get displayed outdoors either! LOL Hopefully 24 hour security at the apartment building will help.

Gandolf50
05-29-12, 07:07
If you are going to be doing a lot of texting, Personal sells 100 texts for 15p. Either from existing credit or by buying a card. I find this much cheaper because on a prepay plan they charge as much as 80c per text.

SunSeeker
05-29-12, 11:13
Thanks for the info guys. After comparing the 2 I'll probably get Movistar prepago. I'm not a "chatty kathy" on the phone, usually make my call or text, say what I want to say and it's over. Too bad the minutes expire every 30 days. I'm used to putting 100 reals on my phone and they are good for months LOL.

SunSeeker
06-07-12, 15:48
My thanks to everyone for their input. I got my Movistar chip last night and am just waiting for the SMS text telling me I can use it. I didn't need any kind of I'd or anything to buy the chip. $20 pesos.

SunSeeker
06-07-12, 23:49
My thanks to everyone for their input. I got my Movistar chip last night and am just waiting for the SMS text telling me I can use it. I didn't need any kind of I'd or anything to buy the chip. $20 pesos.Hmmm. Got a 11 prefix not 15. 10 digits total still. Any ideas why? Movistar chip pregpago.

Big Boss Man
06-08-12, 00:11
Hmmm. Got a 11 prefix not 15. 10 digits total still. Any ideas why? Movistar chip pregpago.I had he same thing. I think for people to call you they still need to dial 15 and the last 8 numbers. Here is the number in an ad for one of my favorites. 15-4173-5545.

From any country (54-911-4173-5545). Try calling yourself from the hotel phone and see which one works.

SunSeeker
06-08-12, 00:33
I had he same thing. I think for people to call you they still need to dial 15 and the last 8 numbers. Here is the number in an ad for one of my favorites. 15-4173-5545.

From any country (54-911-4173-5545). Try calling yourself from the hotel phone and see which one works.You could be right. I have just seen a FL with the 11 posted. No other phone here so I will find out what happens tomorrow when I call up a chica. I've read cell to cell you only need to dial the 10 digits.

Gandolf50
06-08-12, 08:08
I had he same thing. I think for people to call you they still need to dial 15 and the last 8 numbers. Here is the number in an ad for one of my favorites. 15-4173-5545.

From any country (54-911-4173-5545). Try calling yourself from the hotel phone and see which one works.It depends where you are dialing from. For example from a land line in the city of BsAs you dial 15 then the number if you are calling from the province its 011 15. From the provincia its 11 plus the number. Then if the cel phone is from out in the boonies they have the local area code then the 11 plus the number. Phone service here is a disaster. Telefonica took over 8 or more small companys and put them under one switch board, some areas still have 5 digits, other 8 and others 10 or 12. It all depends where you are. They never consolidated all areas under the same format.

Tres3
06-08-12, 11:11
If you want a plain vanilla cell phone that is unlocked and accepts SIM cards all over the world, try Amazon. Com. The phone is branded "Blu" and costs less than $35. 00 with shipping. I have used it in the Philippines. Singapore, Thailand, and now Argentina. When I get home, I just put it in a drawer until my next trip, or I give it away when I keave. Here in Argentina, I just went to a Locutorio, and they did everything with Moviestar. I bought 60 minutes and got 30 minutes free. The SIM only cost 20 pesos and the air time was one peso per minute (60 pesos) with 30 free minutes. I am not very talky so I will probably leave Argentina with some unused minutes. I have not tried the phone outside of Buenos Aires, so I do not know if it works well in the boonies. BTW, this phone makes a great Chica gift.

Tres

SunSeeker
06-08-12, 11:27
It depends where you are dialing from. For example from a land line in the city of BsAs you dial 15 then the number if you are calling from the province its 011 15. From the provincia its 11 plus the number. Then if the cel phone is from out in the boonies they have the local area code then the 11 plus the number. Phone service here is a disaster. Telefonica took over 8 or more small companys and put them under one switch board, some areas still have 5 digits, other 8 and others 10 or 12. It all depends where you are. They never consolidated all areas under the same format.Damn they like to make it difficult! LOL. Can't believe you got to change 15 to 11, add a 9, etc. Reminds me of the prize winning questions from years gone by. I'm in Palermo Botanico so pretty much all my calls / texts will be in Buenos Aires.

Mountaineer
07-25-12, 21:32
I checked out Amazon. Under unlocked BLU phones they have 4 $30 choices w / dual sim quad band. I'm spending 3 weeks in So America (2 wks in Buenos Aires and remaining time in Lima + Mendoza). Which phone do you recommend? BLU Q53 Samba Jr, BLU T130 Deejay Lite, BLU Q61 Lindy, or BLU Q41 Charleston? Will I need to buy 3 different Sim cards in all 3 cities? Is there one Sim card good for both Peru and Argentina? Is there anything else I need to know? Where in Recoleta do you buy your Sim cards? Thanks Mountaineer.

If you want a plain vanilla cell phone that is unlocked and accepts SIM cards all over the world, try Amazon. Com. The phone is branded "Blu" and costs less than $35. 00 with shipping. I have used it in the Philippines. Singapore, Thailand, and now Argentina. When I get home, I just put it in a drawer until my next trip, or I give it away when I keave. Here in Argentina, I just went to a Locutorio, and they did everything with Moviestar. I bought 60 minutes and got 30 minutes free. The SIM only cost 20 pesos and the air time was one peso per minute (60 pesos) with 30 free minutes. I am not very talky so I will probably leave Argentina with some unused minutes. I have not tried the phone outside of Buenos Aires, so I do not know if it works well in the boonies. BTW, this phone makes a great Chica gift.

Tres

SunSeeker
07-25-12, 21:41
I checked out Amazon. Under unlocked BLU phones they have 4 $30 choices w / dual sim quad band. I'm spending 3 weeks in So America (2 wks in Buenos Aires and remaining time in Lima + Mendoza). Which phone do you recommend? BLU Q53 Samba Jr, BLU T130 Deejay Lite, BLU Q61 Lindy, or BLU Q41 Charleston? Will I need to buy 3 different Sim cards in all 3 cities? Is there one Sim card good for both Peru and Argentina? Is there anything else I need to know? Where in Recoleta do you buy your Sim cards? Thanks Mountaineer.Hi Mountaineer, I can help out with some of your questions and someone else can answer the phone specific q's.

The sim chips are specific to each service provider so you will need to buy different chips for Argentina and Peru. You can get the chips at pretty much any of the stores for Movistar, Personal, or Claro. I know there is a Movistar kiosk in the Recoleta mall that had them. I got mine (movistar) near my apt in Palermo for 20 pesos. They activated it for me on the spot and 24 hours later I could use it. After I bought minutes of course. I don't make a lot of calls and I still spend more than 100 pesos each month. Calls and texts ain't cheap!

Daddy Rulz
07-26-12, 12:26
You can buy a cheap phone with the sim for less than U$S20 here. Nothing to pack, nothing to screw with at aduana, nothing to order. Then throw it away or give it to some hooker when you go.

I checked out Amazon. Under unlocked BLU phones they have 4 $30 choices w / dual sim quad band. I'm spending 3 weeks in So America (2 wks in Buenos Aires and remaining time in Lima + Mendoza). Which phone do you recommend? BLU Q53 Samba Jr, BLU T130 Deejay Lite, BLU Q61 Lindy, or BLU Q41 Charleston? Will I need to buy 3 different Sim cards in all 3 cities? Is there one Sim card good for both Peru and Argentina? Is there anything else I need to know? Where in Recoleta do you buy your Sim cards? Thanks Mountaineer.

Brad Pito
07-26-12, 22:20
Damn they like to make it difficult! LOL. Can't believe you got to change 15 to 11, add a 9, etc. Reminds me of the prize winning questions from years gone by. I'm in Palermo Botanico so pretty much all my calls / texts will be in Buenos Aires.Didn't they also add a new code for some mobiles in BA?

Tres3
07-29-12, 00:54
I checked out Amazon. Under unlocked BLU phones they have 4 $30 choices w / dual sim quad band. I'm spending 3 weeks in So America (2 wks in Buenos Aires and remaining time in Lima + Mendoza). Which phone do you recommend? BLU Q53 Samba Jr, BLU T130 Deejay Lite, BLU Q61 Lindy, or BLU Q41 Charleston? Will I need to buy 3 different Sim cards in all 3 cities? Is there one Sim card good for both Peru and Argentina? Is there anything else I need to know? Where in Recoleta do you buy your Sim cards? Thanks Mountaineer.I bought a BLU T200 Deejay phone, but any unlocked, quad band will work all over the world. You need to buy a SIM card for each country, and sometimes for different area codes. For me that was not a problem since while I was in Argentina, I never left BA. Your nearest Locutorio has SIM cards and can activate your phone. They also can top up your account.

Tres3

SunSeeker
07-29-12, 09:21
Didn't they also add a new code for some mobiles in BA?The only code I know of is the 15 which designates it is a cell number. No idea why as my number came with the 11 and when a chica calls or texts me the number shows 11 instead of 15. Doesn't matter if it was claro, movistar, or personal.

Daddy Rulz
07-29-12, 10:45
On later numbers some were 15.

The only code I know of is the 15 which designates it is a cell number. No idea why as my number came with the 11 and when a chica calls or texts me the number shows 11 instead of 15. Doesn't matter if it was claro, movistar, or personal.

Gato Hunter
07-29-12, 14:10
When I recharged my. Cell yesterday at the phone ace across the street I had to put in 11 but my number is 15 Movistar.

Toymann
07-29-12, 15:56
In capital federal 11 and 15 are interchangeable, and have been for years. When you have a BA based phone and you travel outside of Captial Federal you must use the 11 prefix to call cell phones in BA (the 15 prefix numbers won't connect at all). That is why for years now all my BA cell phone numbers start with 11, even if the chica tells me 15. That way I can call the number from anywhere in argentina without complication or having to change the number from a 15 to a 11. Kinda surpirsed you didn't know this GH, but I only figured this out years ago when I went to corrienties to fish and tried to stay in touch with my BA chicas. Hope this helps. Monger on dude. Toymann

SnakeOilSales
07-29-12, 17:57
You are all actually at least slightly incorrect. When calling from (buenos aires) cell phone to (buenos aires) cell phone the 11 prefix is all that is required. However, when calling from a Buenos Aires land line to a Buenos Aires cell phone you MUST enter 15 followed by the last eight numbers. The easiest way when using your cell phone is to the program the number +54 9 11xxxx-xxxx for a Buenos Aires cell number, +54 9 221 xxxxxxx for La Plata, etc etc. When programed into your phone in this fashion, you will be able to call the number using that phone no matter what country / province you find yourself in.

Toymann
07-29-12, 19:51
The addition of the international and coutry codes would not make sense with an argentine based cell phone such as moviestar. You wouldn't use it from another country (international) anyway. This is the cell phone thread and that is why the 15 prefix from a land line to cell is correct but not nessessarily relevant. Just for shits and giggles, what part of my post was incorrect Snake? Not sure what I missed, but have been managing my argentine cell phone in the manner described for at least 5 years now. Happy Mongering All. Toymann

ps. from a BA cell phone to Ba based cell phone, in BA, you can use either 15 or 11 prefix without complication.

SnakeOilSales
07-30-12, 08:33
The addition of the international and coutry codes would not make sense with an argentine based cell phone such as moviestar. You wouldn't use it from another country (international) anyway. This is the cell phone thread and that is why the 15 prefix from a land line to cell is correct but not nessessarily relevant. Just for shits and giggles, what part of my post was incorrect Snake? Not sure what I missed, but have been managing my argentine cell phone in the manner described for at least 5 years now. Happy Mongering All. Toymann.

Ps. From a BA cell phone to Ba based cell phone, in BA, you can use either 15 or 11 prefix without complication.Most people under 50 who travel frequently carry an unlocked iPhone (or similar) with them as their primary phone in whatever country they are in and simply swap out the microSIM. As such, having one's phone numbers programed in the fashion I described allows them to be dialed from any country. For example, dialing +541148138400 will call La Madeleine no matter where in the world you are calling from. Another example is that all my USA numbers are programed in the same manner +1xxxxxxxxxx which will allow me to dial the US number of my choice whether I am in Argentina, Brasil, China or wherever.

Aqualung
07-30-12, 23:14
On later numbers some were 15.No, daddy, it is the other way around. Originally ALL the cell phones began with 15 but when they changed the system they also changed 15 to 11. Though in most cell to cell communications you can still use 15. It's still common for people to give their number as 15-xxxx-xxxx out of habit but always take it down as 11-xxxx-xxxx.

Storing the number in your phone as +54-911-xxxx-xxxx is the most sensible thing to do as you can then contact this phone from anywhere in the World without any bother. Notice that on your phone identifier most incoming calls will be registered as +54-911-xxxx-xxxx.

So forget the 15 and just use 11 in it's place.

Something similar happened with the land phones. Originally they had a three digit number indicating area and then a four digit number. For example, using Madelein's number 813-8400, the first three digits indicate that the phone is somewhere in the vicinity of 9 de Julio and Cordoba. Then, for some reason, they added a 4 prefix to ALL the phones. You'll notice that many will still give their land phone as four, eight thirteen, eighty four, double O.

It may be useful to know how these area codes work so as to have an idea in what area a certain land phone is when the number is unlisted. (privados, etc). If the number you are looking for isn't in the phone-book try a similar number modifying one of the last 4 digit till you find one with an address. Then you'll know the original phone you wanted to identify is somewhere in that area.

Most prefixes are 4 but now there are also some 3s and 5s (and in cell phones also a 2 or 6 is common)

Wild Walleye
07-31-12, 03:25
Something similar happened with the land phones. Originally they had a three digit number indicating area and then a four digit number. For example, using Madelein's number 813-8400, the first three digits indicate that the phone is somewhere in the vicinity of 9 de Julio and Cordoba. Then, for some reason, they added a 4 prefix to ALL the phones. You'll notice that many will still give their land phone as four, eight thirteen, eighty four, double O.That reason would be that they were in danger of running out of numbers. The combinations and permutations possible with a 3-digit plus 4-digit combination are really quite limited. The easy way out is to add a digit rather. However, in the all-IP world, that will be a thing of the past.

I had familiarized my self with many of the codes so that I could find that for which I sought, nearby. For example. 4806 and 4807 are around the intersection of Junin and Vincente Lopez.

Daddy Rulz
07-31-12, 09:15
No, daddy, it is the other way around.You have only lived here all your life.

Thanks for the clarification hoss. Seriously I always appreciate you setting us strait. I noticed that some time ago about the first quartet of numbers with land lines. I always wonder why they decided to complicate things with cell phones. In the states you can't distinguish a cell number from a land line from an IP phone all are area code xxx followed by xxx-xxxx.

A couple months ago, with VERY little notice, they changed the area code in Corrientes. One day my numbers worked and the next I had to change every number in my phone.

Wild Walleye
07-31-12, 13:34
You have only lived here all your life.

Thanks for the clarification hoss. Seriously I always appreciate you setting us strait. I noticed that some time ago about the first quartet of numbers with land lines. I always wonder why they decided to complicate things with cell phones. In the states you can't distinguish a cell number from a land line from an IP phone all are area code xxx followed by xxx-xxxx.

A couple months ago, with VERY little notice, they changed the area code in Corrientes. One day my numbers worked and the next I had to change every number in my phone.In the US, there are 332 million mobile phones, give or take a few, in addition to the 268 million landline phones. By using eara codes (I. E. Splitting the seven digits into three digits plus four digits) you severely limit the possible combinations of numbers that you can assign to users.

In Argentina (so far as I know) , telephone numbers can be 6, 7 or 8 digits long, depending upon the location of the phone line (6 in the boonies and 8 in the city, sort of). They have to add the additional digits to deal with the growth in (mostly mobile) subscribers. I think Argentina is about 140% penetrated (jejeje) with mobile phones (about 57 million) , which dwarfs the number of landlines.

Daddy Rulz
07-31-12, 14:02
I think Argentina is about 140% penetrated.There a few privados about which I can make this claim.

Wild Walleye
07-31-12, 15:31
There a few privados about which I can make this claim.Reminds me of the cell phone scene in The Dictator.

Aqualung
07-31-12, 22:06
That reason would be that they were in danger of running out of numbers. The combinations and permutations possible with a 3-digit plus 4-digit combination are really quite limited. The easy way out is to add a digit rather. However, in the all-IP world, that will be a thing of the past.

I had familiarized my self with many of the codes so that I could find that for which I sought, nearby. For example. 4806 and 4807 are around the intersection of Junin and Vincente Lopez.Yes and no Walleye, I mean it makes sense what you say but that would be true if for example you started seeing repetitions of the three digit area code which never happened. Using for example Madelein's area code number 806. Adding prefix four made it 4806 and if then you start running out of numbers you add, say. 3 so you get somewhere in the city 3806 which doesn't happen. Out of the 999 possible area codes thee are still hundreds unused. When the Argie phone company was bought by the Spanish Telecom I had their middle management staying at a hotel I managed and they explained it to me once but that was in the early 90's and I can't remember what they said. I do remember it was something about fibre optics they were installing to replace the old wires hanging from posts all over the town.

Mpexy
08-01-12, 01:51
Have a pre-paid phone / sim card from last year. Anyone know if it can be reactivatd or after some time goes by the line is killed and basically have to buy new sim card with different phone number?

Not really concerned about cost. Just would be convenient to keep same number.

Toymann
08-01-12, 02:23
Have a pre-paid phone / sim card from last year. Anyone know if it can be reactivatd or after some time goes by the line is killed and basically have to buy new sim card with different phone number?

Not really concerned about cost. Just would be convenient to keep same number.Have had same number for 5 years. You loose your minutes left on the phone after you leave after 30 days BUT the number lives as long as you recharge the phone within 22 months. Hope this helps. Monger On Dude. Toymann

Mpexy
08-01-12, 04:08
Thanks Toymann. Less than 17 months so hopefully just buy a recharge card from random kiosco and good to go.

Next interesting to-do will be discovering the joys of exchanging dollars at blue rates

Daddy Rulz
08-01-12, 10:47
Don't know about the phone but for mangos once whatever dollars you brought with you run out shoot me a PM and I'll help you hook up with Xoom if you're unfamiliar. Lets get together for a coffee, I would enjoy catching up.

Thanks Toymann. Less than 17 months so hopefully just buy a recharge card from random kiosco and good to go.

Next interesting to-do will be discovering the joys of exchanging dollars at blue rates

Toymann
08-01-12, 10:53

Next interesting to-do will be discovering the joys of exchanging dollars at blue ratesThe Pharmacity at the airport, just outside of security on the left just before you exit the terminal can charge your phone (moviestar or personel). Really easy access if ya ask me. You just give them your number, no cards required. If you arrive on a Monday you get double minutes.

I do this everytime and start texting the chicas on my taxi ride into town. Enjoy Dude. Toymann

Daddy Rulz
08-01-12, 11:01
I don't know when this started because I was gone for 4 years so you may be aware but minutes got old after 30 days now. When I got my new phone I did what I always used to do put 200 pesos on it because it's one less thing to worry about and 30 days later lost about 150 pesos worth of time.

Also gato hunter had a great idea. When you get a chicas number ask her which company she uses. That way when you get the "no tengo credito" email or FB message you can go to a kiosko and put 20 on her phone.

The Pharmacity at the airport, just outside of security on the left just before you exit the terminal can charge your phone (moviestar or personel). Really easy access if ya ask me. You just give them your number, no cards required. If you arrive on a Monday you get double minutes.

I do this everytime and start texting the chicas on my taxi ride into town. Enjoy Dude. Toymann

Jim Mac
08-01-12, 12:17
The Pharmacity at the airport, just outside of security on the left just before you exit the terminal can charge your phone (moviestar or personel). Really easy access if ya ask me. You just give them your number, no cards required. If you arrive on a Monday you get double minutes.

I do this everytime and start texting the chicas on my taxi ride into town. Enjoy Dude. ToymannCan you buy a sim at that Pharmacity? I have an unlocked phone but no Argentine sim.

Toymann
08-01-12, 12:45
Can you buy a sim at that Pharmacity? I have an unlocked phone but no Argentine sim.If memory serves me correctly very close to the PharmaCity at EZE is a Personel Booth. I am sure that you can get a sim card there. I am about 80% sure about this. Maybe someone else can chime in and confirm. I have moviestar so I always go to the pharmacy to charge my argentine cell. If for some reason your flight arrives at the other terminal (without the PharmaCity) , if you take a right after you leave security there is a kiosko about 30 meters down the hallway that also sells MovieStar and Personel minutes. Hope this helps. Toymann.

Ps. The days of cards with scatch patchs seem to be mostly gone. You just give the vendor your cell number and they charge the minutes over an internet connection. You get a confirmation text message almost immediately confirming your purchase.

Wild Walleye
08-01-12, 13:58
Yes and no Walleye, I mean it makes sense what you say but that would be true if for example you started seeing repetitions of the three digit area code which never happened. Using for example Madelein's area code number 806. Adding prefix four made it 4806 and if then you start running out of numbers you add, say. 3 so you get somewhere in the city 3806 which doesn't happen. Out of the 999 possible area codes thee are still hundreds unused. When the Argie phone company was bought by the Spanish Telecom I had their middle management staying at a hotel I managed and they explained it to me once but that was in the early 90's and I can't remember what they said. I do remember it was something about fibre optics they were installing to replace the old wires hanging from posts all over the town.Telephone companies are like giant ships, to turn them, you must plan well in advance. If they have 8 million possible numbers to hand out, they can't issue 8 million and then add an extra digit to accommodate the next customer. They have to prepare to make such moves well in advance of reaching full capacity. In Argentina, many of those moves were somewhat half-assed. The legacy landline infrastructure was not good and the legacy of industry practices was even worse.

The legacy technology issues include what the network infrastructure devices can handle (keep in mind that the landline systems were deployed long before digital referred to anything other than relative to a finger) and the numbers were relative to geography. If you gave a San Telmo number a Recoleta prefix, the system would have had difficulty accommodating that (back when many of these number changes were taking place). Even if the tech could handle all of the combinations, with the 3+4 configuration, they are tapped out at about 8 million. The fiber optic upgrades (to the core network) increase capacity of the network but wouldn't change the quantity of available numbers. However, the fiber upgrade would bring with it much more capable and flexible technology that could utilize more of the potential numbers and, of course, going mobile eliminates many of the geographic routing constraints.

Assuming that we don't use "000" there 999 possible three digit combinations. Similarly, there are 9, 999 possible combinations with four digits (again, excluding "0000"). In theory, you could use each four digit combination 999 times (once with each prefix) for 9, 989, 001 possible combinations. However, phone companies use particular methodologies for prefixes and numbers. Phone companies (for the most part) do not like to start numbers or prefixes with 0's (rules out about 1 million combos) , nor do they generally use prefixes like '911' '611' '411' and the like (minus another million-ish combinations) , in order to avoid confusion. The various government bodies (federal, provincial, municipal, etc) may have claim over a significant cache of numbers, too. They have to deal with the historical allocation of numbers, which can further reduce the number of possible combinations that they can issue for phone numbers. By adding the 8th digit, you could theoretically pick up another 70-80 million combinations. However, you would likely only realize a fraction of that, given the need to avoid the existing pool of numbers and whether everyone goes to 8 digits or if you have some with 6 some with 7 and some with 8. There are at least 68 million phones (mobile and landline) in Argentina, so without a few more tricks up their sleeves, they are going to have trouble. I believe that this is where the 11 and 15 stuff comes in, although I must admit that they confuse me with that, too.

AllIWantIsLove
08-02-12, 01:42

Next interesting to-do will be discovering the joys of exchanging dollars at blue ratesI don't know how long a sim without credit is guaranteed to survive but only once in four years have I been able to use my sim card purchased a year earlier. (My stays are more or less 2 months. And I've been using Personal.)

Bob

Toymann
08-02-12, 03:32
I don't know how long a sim without credit is guaranteed to survive but only once in four years have I been able to use my sim card purchased a year earlier. (My stays are more or less 2 months. And I've been using Personal.)

BobJust checked my travel schedule the last 8 years. I got my sim card 5 years ago this past April. I travel to Argentina every March / April and September / October plus 4 other trips in this time period outside of these usual trips. Years ago I used to have Jackson keep my cell phone (and make a call or two per month) , as I believed it had to stay active during my time outside of Argentina to keep the number alive. Three years ago I asked my buddy in corrienties, who owns a kiosko, about what was nessessary to keep the sim alive. He called Moviestar and was told 22 months without use was the kill date per some argentine cell law. At that time I stopped having Jackson keep the phone. It lives to this day. Thats the facts Jack, as I know them. Monger On. Toymann.

Ps. If you leave Argentina without using all the minutes they disappear after 1 month without activity BUT the number lives. My buddy also related this info to me after his conversation with moviestar

Mpexy
08-02-12, 03:57
I'll be the lab rat then. Arriving next Saturday and I'll try recharging my phone at the airport pharmacity. Will have been right on 17 months since last use. If it works, great. If not the tip about Personal booth at the airport really nice. I'll buy new sim card there.

I always waited till getting into the city and take another cab ride to one of the downtown stores to get new sim card. Pretty handy just getting it at the airport.

DR. Will pm you when I arrive. Be nice to catch up. Been splitting my time between Europe and USA and finally now coming back to bs. As.

AllIWantIsLove
08-03-12, 01:27
Just checked my travel schedule the last 8 years. I got my sim card 5 years ago this past April. I travel to Argentina every March / April and September / October plus 4 other trips in this time period outside of these usual trips. Years ago I used to have Jackson keep my cell phone (and make a call or two per month) , as I believed it had to stay active during my time outside of Argentina to keep the number alive. Three years ago I asked my buddy in corrienties, who owns a kiosko, about what was nessessary to keep the sim alive. He called Moviestar and was told 22 months without use was the kill date per some argentine cell law. At that time I stopped having Jackson keep the phone. It lives to this day. Thats the facts Jack, as I know them. Monger On. Toymann.

Ps. If you leave Argentina without using all the minutes they disappear after 1 month without activity BUT the number lives. My buddy also related this info to me after his conversation with moviestarThanks Toymann, that's interesting. If they tell me the sim is no longer usable in January I will try to argue with them and at least find out why it is no longer usable when it's been used within the past year. Of course unless I get one of the few people at Personal who speak English that could be a very difficult conversation.

It will be interesting to hear how Mpexy makes out.

Bob

Toymann
08-03-12, 03:11
Thanks Toymann, that's interesting. If they tell me the sim is no longer usable in January I will try to argue with them and at least find out why it is no longer usable when it's been used within the past year. Of course unless I get one of the few people at Personal who speak English that could be a very difficult conversation.

It will be interesting to hear how Mpexy makes out.

BobJust keep in mind I can only speak to my experience with MovieStar. For five years now my number is unchanged. Just ask my Chicas! LOL. I would suggest if you have any concerns that you initially charge 20 pesos only. You'll know right away if the number works as you get the verifivation text message. Good luck in January Bob. Monger On Dude. Toymann

ps. I am also quite curious about the 22 month rule I was told by my buddy who was in conatct with the Movoestar folks. Assuming that Mplexy is MovieStar his 17 month absense will test the validity of this information. I can only speak unequivalently regarding a 6-7 month inactive period. Been good for over 5 years now.

Wild Walleye
08-03-12, 22:39
I've had the same Claro number for a little over five years (30 plus rountrips, during that period). I would always have an extra AR$20 tarjeta and AR$100 (or so) cash in tucked into my passport, so that I could zip through the airport and get straight into the remis, without diddling around at the airport and without speaking English beyond the remis kiosko. It is amazing how fast I can get through EZE (I don't check bags, if at all possible). I've probably gone from the plane to the car in around 15 minutes. However, I haven't been in town in a while and I am curious as to whether or not my Claro sim will come back to life.

Mpexy
08-12-12, 17:58
Just keep in mind I can only speak to my experience with MovieStar. For five years now my number is unchanged. Just ask my Chicas! LOL. I would suggest if you have any concerns that you initially charge 20 pesos only. You'll know right away if the number works as you get the verifivation text message. Good luck in January Bob. Monger On Dude. Toymann.

Ps. I am also quite curious about the 22 month rule I was told by my buddy who was in conatct with the Movoestar folks. Assuming that Mplexy is MovieStar his 17 month absense will test the validity of this information. I can only speak unequivalently regarding a 6-7 month inactive period. Been good for over 5 years now.Landed yesterday and today was able to recharge my Personal cell no problem. Which I last used just under 17 months ago. Great tip Toymann. Looks like Personal must follow same rule your Moviestar buddy said they do.

As expected, credit balance had expired but was able to walk into kiosco and add credits. Tested with 20 pesos and went through with confirmation text back to my phone in 2-3min.

Was going to try recharging at airport but huge flight delays had me way late and tired so just headed into city and hit Newport for a wrong head thinking mistake move, then sleep.

So can't quite say 100% sim card is good for 22months but since mine went 17 months, I'd say 99% sure that claim seems right. Awesome to know, make my return trips lot easier. I used to just throw away my phones after each trip.

Toymann
08-12-12, 18:16
Landed yesterday and today was able to recharge my Personal cell no problem. Which I last used just under 17 months ago. Great tip Toymann. Looks like Personal must follow same rule your Moviestar buddy said they do.

As expected, credit balance had expired but was able to walk into kiosco and add credits. Tested with 20 pesos and went through with confirmation text back to my phone in 2-3min.

Was going to try recharging at airport but huge flight delays had me way late and tired so just headed into city and hit Newport for a wrong head thinking mistake move, then sleep.

So can't quite say 100% sim card is good for 22months but since mine went 17 months, I'd say 99% sure that claim seems right. Awesome to know, make my return trips lot easier. I used to just throw away my phones after each trip.It never hurts to have real folks in Argentina to defer to on issues such as these. I have posted this information at least twice on this thread in the past years since I stopped letting El Jeffe keep my phone, and that's been at least 4 years ago. You are now the gold standard as I have never gone more than 6 months without activity on my phone. Monger on Dude. Toymann

Toymann
08-12-12, 18:20
I don't know how long a sim without credit is guaranteed to survive but only once in four years have I been able to use my sim card purchased a year earlier. (My stays are more or less 2 months. And I've been using Personal.)

BobVery curious information Bob, considering that Mplexy is using Personal like you. My corrienties buddy, years ago, indicated that this was some sort of requirement that all carriers had to comply with. My moviestar has always worked and now we hear that personal also is good to go. Wonder why you have had problems? Monger on All. Toymann

Miami Bob
08-22-12, 22:35
My ancient cell with ancient sim is still cranking away. Use my newer top of the line 4 g verizon cell for wifi-can send photos, watch the news, read a book or newpaper just fine. No gatita would ever want to steal my old trusty motorola v197 which has a good radio, great battery life and english / spanish word completion with the accents and tildas.

I own 3 of them--all purchased on ebay for us$25 or less

Mbronzini
08-23-12, 12:06
I have had Claro for the last year and have a buddy add credits to my phone before I return. The kiosks merely need the number and carrier and my old Motorola Razr V3 works good enough for me to talk and text. My mini computer is for emails and the internet. I am going to try my luck with a Kindle Fire this trip as well at a BsAs hot Spot. Will post if it works.

MB

DaveNYC
12-20-12, 07:48
I read back to 2010, and this is what I gleamed. Basically, I can get a cheap prepaid phone upon arrival from Movistar or Personel for calls and text, got that much. I see there is 3g data available for navigation and such, but I obviously need a smart phone, does it absolutely need to be unlocked? I've never dealt with an unlocked phone before. I'm not worried about getting robbed, is there any smart phone I could purchase here used on ebay that I should lean towards?

SunSeeker
12-20-12, 09:47
I read back to 2010, and this is what I gleamed. Basically, I can get a cheap prepaid phone upon arrival from Movistar or Personel for calls and text, got that much. I see there is 3g data available for navigation and such, but I obviously need a smart phone, does it absolutely need to be unlocked? I've never dealt with an unlocked phone before. I'm not worried about getting robbed, is there any smart phone I could purchase here used on ebay that I should lean towards?No idea about cheap cell phones to buy but it DEFINITELY has to be UNLOCKED or it won't accept a different chip. Depending on your cell phone, you may be able to get it unlocked.

Damman
12-20-12, 11:56
I read back to 2010, and this is what I gleamed. Basically, I can get a cheap prepaid phone upon arrival from Movistar or Personel for calls and text, got that much. I see there is 3g data available for navigation and such, but I obviously need a smart phone, does it absolutely need to be unlocked? I've never dealt with an unlocked phone before. I'm not worried about getting robbed is there any smart phone I could purchase here used on ebay that I should lean towards?Insure the unlocked phone is "GSM" and takes a standard size SIM card to keep it simple. Am partial to the iPhone and the 3rd generation phone is what I use, standard SIM. A factory unlocked iphone (3rd generation) goes for about $125. 00 on Craigslist. I stick with the factory unlock because all my apps and stuff are downloadable at no charge on my 3rd generation iPhone.

Daddy Rulz
12-20-12, 13:03
I have one as well, if you get one make sure the modem firmware is 06. 15. 00 if not you will have to hack that as well to use AR sim chips. To find out select Settings- General- About then look towards the bottom. Mine started life as a normal Iphone and I had to Jailbreak- unlock- update the modem firmware to get it to accept any simcard. Unlocking and jailbreaking are not that hard, the last step has a significant failure rate and if it does you will brick the device. That's why I suggest checking it before buying it.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-update-iphone-3gs-3g-baseband-to-06.15.00-with-redsn0w-0.9.6b5-for-ios-4.2.1-unlock/

DaveNYC
12-21-12, 00:00
Thanks guys. IPhone 3gs seems like a solid choice. Checked on ebay, it can be factory unlocked without jailbreaking for $3! I'll probably jailbreak and unlock it for practice and fun, since I have time anyway. Of course, this all depends on bootrom and such.

I have one as well, if you get one make sure the modem firmware is 06. 15. 00 if not you will have to hack that as well to use AR sim chips. To find out select Settings- General- About then look towards the bottom. Mine started life as a normal Iphone and I had to Jailbreak- unlock- update the modem firmware to get it to accept any simcard. Unlocking and jailbreaking are not that hard, the last step has a significant failure rate and if it does you will brick the device. That's why I suggest checking it before buying it.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-update-iphone-3gs-3g-baseband-to-06.15.00-with-redsn0w-0.9.6b5-for-ios-4.2.1-unlock/I was researching, but redsn0w doesn't appear to work untethered past 5. 1.1, is yours tethered? Arg sim won't work on 5. 1.1? Not trying to make this a technical thread LOL but might be useful to others.

Member #3320
12-21-12, 01:25
I use unlocked Iphone 4, with no issues in BA on local sim cards with 3 g / data.

PurpleThomas
03-10-13, 12:37
I'm planning to turn up with the smartphone I use routinely in England; which I fear will cost a few pounds a megabyte for 3 G, and a pound or so a minute for phone calls.

Is using an iphone going to be like walking around with a Rolex, constantly worried about theft, or are they now as ubiquitous in be. A. As in London?

Is wifi ubiquitous enough that I can avoid using 3 G data?

Is it possible to buy a low-end PAYG stupidphone for a trivial price, or do you have to be a resident for that?

Don B
03-10-13, 13:56
I'm planning to turn up with the smartphone I use routinely in England; which I fear will cost a few pounds a megabyte for 3 G, and a pound or so a minute for phone calls.

Is using an iphone going to be like walking around with a Rolex, constantly worried about theft, or are they now as ubiquitous in be. A. As in London?

Is wifi ubiquitous enough that I can avoid using 3 G data?

Is it possible to buy a low-end PAYG stupidphone for a trivial price, or do you have to be a resident for that?All I need is basic phone service. I have an unlocked GSM that I buy a SIM card for when I arrive.

It is not a big deal but how long is that chip active?

Maybe I don't need to buy a new one every year but just add time to the one I have.

Don.

Mpexy
03-10-13, 14:31
All I need is basic phone service. I have an unlocked GSM that I buy a SIM card for when I arrive.

It is not a big deal but how long is that chip active?

Maybe I don't need to buy a new one every year but just add time to the one I have.

Don.If you have a prepago SIM card from a prior trip, I can attest to at least 17 months for Personal and its still good to add credits when you come back. Any old credits will be gone but chip and number is still good.

Others have reported Moviestar works similarly, and seems the Argie word of mouth that something like a bit under two years is credible as de facto telco standard here for keeping chip active.

Forgot exact number of months the sim stays good for, but if you search this thread back to something like July to August 2012, you'll find the quoted age. Best I recall it was a bit under two years. For sure mine was dormant for 17 months between my last trip and world just fine once added new credits.

Don B
03-10-13, 15:05
If you have a prepago SIM card from a prior trip, I can attest to at least 17 months for Personal and its still good to add credits when you come back. Any old credits will be gone but chip and number is still good.

Others have reported Moviestar works similarly, and seems the Argie word of mouth that something like a bit under two years is credible as de facto telco standard here for keeping chip active.

Forgot exact number of months the sim stays good for, but if you search this thread back to something like July to August 2012, you'll find the quoted age. Best i recall it was a bit under two years. For sure mine was dormant for 17 months between my last trip and world just fine once added new creditsI had a problem with Personal last year. I bought a SIM and it didn't work. They would not give a refund, claimed I did not have an unlocked phone. This was BS, must have been a defective or incompatable chip. I had used Personal on other occasions with same phone. Went to Claro, bought SIM, no problems. Now if I can just rember what my phone number is. I went through the receipts file for last year, for some reason no Claro receipt.

Don.

Gandolf50
03-10-13, 16:29
I had a problem with Personal last year. I bought a SIM and it didn't work. They would not give a refund, claimed I did not have an unlocked phone. This was BS, must have been a defective or incompatable chip. I had used Personal on other occasions with same phone. Went to Claro, bought SIM, no problems. Now if I can just rember what my phone number is. I went through the receipts file for last year, for some reason no Claro receipt.

Don.If you recharge your phone from a card, you can then figure out the number afterwards by calling or texting someone.

Don B
03-10-13, 17:21
If you recharge your phone from a card, you can then figure out the number afterwards by calling or texting someone.It's also burried in the cellphone if you can find your way to the right place.

I spent over 40 years in telecommunications but this generation is computer oriented, they only know how to write instructions for people who don't need them.

Don.

Wild Walleye
03-12-13, 13:34
I had a problem with Personal last year. I bought a SIM and it didn't work. They would not give a refund, claimed I did not have an unlocked phone. This was BS, must have been a defective or incompatable chip. I had used Personal on other occasions with same phone. Went to Claro, bought SIM, no problems. Now if I can just rember what my phone number is. I went through the receipts file for last year, for some reason no Claro receipt.

Don.Some unlocked phones are not compatible with certain carriers' frequencies. To be sure of having success in any given market, it is best to have a quad-band (aka "world phone") phone (850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 1900 MHz). I think most LatAm markets operate in the 850 MHz and 1900 MHz bands, although 450 MHz and 700 MHz are likely to be part of the future. A few years ago, I was given a great dual-sim (in theory, I could have both my US and Argie sims in and functioning at the same time) phone. At the time, such phones were rare and expensive. I was having dinner with an associate in Paris and we were lamenting the 2-phone plight of us road warriors. I told him about the dual-sim phone that I had read about. Shortly after returning home, a package arrived with the phone in it. Unfortunately, it is a tri-band and wouldn't work with my Claro sim. At this moment, that phone is sitting about 5 feet away from me, in the box, untouched, unused.

Don B
03-12-13, 15:08
Some unlocked phones are not compatible with certain carriers' frequencies. To be sure of having success in any given market, it is best to have a quad-band (aka "world phone") phone (850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 1900 MHz). I think most LatAm markets operate in the 850 MHz and 1900 MHz bands, although 450 MHz and 700 MHz are likely to be part of the future. A few years ago, I was given a great dual-sim (in theory, I could have both my US and Argie sims in and functioning at the same time) phone. At the time, such phones were rare and expensive. I was having dinner with an associate in Paris and we were lamenting the 2-phone plight of us road warriors. I told him about the dual-sim phone that I had read about. Shortly after returning home, a package arrived with the phone in it. Unfortunately, it is a tri-band and wouldn't work with my Claro sim. At this moment, that phone is sitting about 5 feet away from me, in the box, untouched, unused.I do have a quad band, the problem was the particular SIM. Same phone worked with one of their SIMs the previous year.

Don.

Miami Bob
03-25-13, 02:43
Quad freq gsm voice and quad on 2 g-slow internet BUT what is the frequency on 3 g. I could not easily find the answer. Anyone know?

I am ready to upgrade from my "no internet", but useable motorola V197's.

Considering:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-i8160-Factory-Unlocked/dp/B007UOXRS6/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp_1_3E09

Model. 3 G Bands support.

GT-I8160. 900/2100 MHz (Digitel in Venezuela for example. Most operators in Europe use these bands).

GT-I8160 L. 850/1900 MHz (AT&T in USA, Movilnet / Movistar in Venezuela for example.

Vs older slower w / less ram which is not necessary if now using internet for more than checking email.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Android-Quadband-Unlocked/product-reviews/B007I4GHFI/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Any suggestions?

I have zero need for a hot smart phone to use during 6 to 10 weeks of international travel.

Damman
03-25-13, 13:41
"There is only 135 MHz (Megahertz) open for mobile use in Argentina".

Not so sure about the validity of all this but it certainly sounds valid. Maybe it will help you.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/global-observer/why-is-argentinas-internet-so-outrageously-slow/10520

Quad freq gsm voice and quad on 2 g-slow internet BUT what is the frequency on 3 g. I could not easily find the answer. Anyone know?

I am ready to upgrade from my "no internet", but useable motorola V197's.

Considering:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-i8160-Factory-Unlocked/dp/B007UOXRS6/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp_1_3E09

Model. 3 G Bands support.

GT-I8160. 900/2100 MHz (Digitel in Venezuela for example. Most operators in Europe use these bands).

GT-I8160 L. 850/1900 MHz (AT&T in USA, Movilnet / Movistar in Venezuela for example.

Vs older slower w / less ram which is not necessary if now using internet for more than checking email.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Android-Quadband-Unlocked/product-reviews/B007I4GHFI/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Any suggestions?

I have zero need for a hot smart phone to use during 6 to 10 weeks of international travel.

Easy Go
03-25-13, 18:12
If you are interested primarily in using it in Argentina, there isn't much in the way of options for data service for visitors. In fact, all the reasonable options I've found were only available to users with monthly plans and my understanding is that you can't get a monthly plan without a DNI. Plus you usually have to deal with some ugliness around the APN settings even if you can find an offering as the carrier usually only will support phones that they sell. All in all, it strikes as a complicated undertaking likely with lots of little details waiting to bite you in the ass. I looked into it and concluded that WiFi on my phone was good enough for me.

Here's a post I dug up about 3 G frequencies in Argentina that discusses some of the issues.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3361

Silver Star
03-25-13, 18:32
If you are interested primarily in using it in Argentina, there isn't much in the way of options for data service for visitors. In fact, all the reasonable options I've found were only available to users with monthly plans and my understanding is that you can't get a monthly plan without a DNI. Plus you usually have to deal with some ugliness around the APN settings even if you can find an offering as the carrier usually only will support phones that they sell. All in all, it strikes as a complicated undertaking likely with lots of little details waiting to bite you in the ass. I looked into it and concluded that WiFi on my phone was good enough for me.

Here's a post I dug up about 3 G frequencies in Argentina that discusses some of the issues.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3361SilverStar Transfers and Tours offers FREE prepaid Argentine cellphone rental (refundable deposit required) with a round trip airport transfer.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Miami Bob
03-25-13, 22:45
So I need an android that receives 1900 mghtz and some luck. Does anyone know an android guru in centeral BA who might get me hooked up, if my equipment is capable of doing it.

The article is very telling: no one will invest the capital to even get 3 g with enough bandwidth to meet the needs of the community.

According to data from the tech hardware manufacturer Cisco, the average mobile connection speed in 2012 in Argentine was 154 Kbps (kilobits per second).

Not worth the hassle to get 3 g that moves at an inconsistent 154 kbps ie no streaming music, many websites and.

Is this it guys: inconsistent 3 g, not worth the hassle?

DavieW
03-26-13, 11:34
Is this it guys: inconsistent 3 g, not worth the hassle?I reckon that's about right Bob.

You're as likely to find a wi-fi hotspot and not have to pay silly money for the flakey 3 g.

Miami Bob
03-26-13, 12:30
Does the 3 g service warrant the hassles and expense for an occasional visitor. I have been with personel for 10 years+, but could switch for a reason. So many people I call and text are on personel, that the discounts make sense to me.

Member #3320
03-26-13, 14:19
I use pay-as-you-go Personal sim card on my unlocked iphone 4. I use 3 g all the time on it without a problem. I am not sure, what speed it gives me but I dont get frustrated when using it. I have no problems checking my emails or opening important attachments. I even travel abroad with it and continue using 3 G with no problems. I am not sure how much I spend but it hardly costs anything when using in Arg only. On int. Roaming, its expensive. More or less I spend about 400-500 pesos a month incl international roaming. I just use the phone/sim card for receiving phone calls, sending text messages and data. I hardly make any phone calls from that connection. For phone calls, I use the data connection and make calls from my US no. or via viber.

Hope this helps.

Easy Go
03-26-13, 18:03
According to this page, Internet access is "from $AR1 per day" which is crazy cheap.

http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?ID=LSIM-AR01

That matches the Personal page which says unlimited Internet on all plans is $AR1/ day although the "Más Info" link on it doesn't work and it.

http://www.personal.com.ar/planes/tarjeta/personal_plan_plus_sin_equipo

I'd previously seen a crazy expensive rate for Personal (tarjeta) so maybe they have gone from crazy expensive to crazy cheap.

I've used a friend's phone on Movistar a few times and the performance was more Edge than 3 G. Good enough for e-mails and messaging but browsing was painfully slow when it worked. Of course, wireless performance varies dramatically and I'm sure it's better some of the time in some places.

So it may be crap but maybe at least it's cheap! I guess I'll have to give it a try next trip although pulling an iPhone out in public is like wearing a neon "rob me" sign. A cheap Android phone might be the sensible choice.

Mpexy
03-26-13, 21:10
With Personal, the 1-peso per 24 hr Internet comes activated automatically with all prepago sims. The first time you access Internet data, it charges you 1 p and starts clock. If you don't access for a period of time, you are not charged, only each 24 hr period you do.

The speed is decent, not great and sometimes slower than other days. But for normal email, I'm chat, browsing search pages, it's fine if you connect 3 g. The issue is more what kind of connection you can establish depending where you are in the city. Sometimes only edge coverage and then it's so slow only text msg works.

Used heavily an iPhone 4's for 7-months and never had issue with crime. How you act and whether you give off the demeanor and vibe of low hanging fruit are more likely triggers for robbery. Caveat though my street use of iPhone was mostly in barrios of recoleta, palermo, puerto madero, belgrano, and microcentro.

According to this page, Internet access is "from $AR1 per day" which is crazy cheap.

http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?ID=LSIM-AR01

That matches the Personal page which says unlimited Internet on all plans is $AR1/ day although the "Más Info" link on it doesn't work and it.

http://www.personal.com.ar/planes/tarjeta/personal_plan_plus_sin_equipo

I'd previously seen a crazy expensive rate for Personal (tarjeta) so maybe they have gone from crazy expensive to crazy cheap.

I've used a friend's phone on Movistar a few times and the performance was more Edge than 3 G. Good enough for e-mails and messaging but browsing was painfully slow when it worked. Of course, wireless performance varies dramatically and I'm sure it's better some of the time in some places.

So it may be crap but maybe at least it's cheap! I guess I'll have to give it a try next trip although pulling an iPhone out in public is like wearing a neon "rob me" sign. A cheap Android phone might be the sensible choice.

DavieW
03-27-13, 11:04
...pulling an iPhone out in public is like wearing a neon "rob me" sign. A cheap Android phone might be the sensible choice.I don't think that's true any more. Get on a subte and have a look around at everyone (because EVERYONE will have their phone out and be using it for something or other). There seems to be a predominance of iPhones or Galaxy SIIs and SIIIs. Despite the sky-high prices, it's incredible the number of people that can afford them.

DavieW
03-27-13, 11:07
With Personal, the 1-peso per 24 hr Internet comes activated automatically with all prepago sims.Wow! Really? I'm on a monthly plan and get the 1 peso / day thing, but had assumed you'd be paying through the nose on a pre-pago like you do for calls.

In that case it's worth getting. Although as already mentioned several times, don't expect full coverage or lightning speed!

Miami Bob
03-27-13, 11:31
I am pretty much in the android system. A factory unlocked droid with 3 g on 1900 should be available somewhere. I have placed a $200 arbitrary limit--which can be increased for a valid reason. There are locations in the USA, I think, where t-mobile uses 1900 mghtz.

It is better to buy something that is factory unlocked, so I have no t-mobile rom on the phone that might prevent it from working well with personel? Question?

The galaxy III's are $350 to $400. Shopuld I bit the bullet? Other models that one might suggest?

I can get a 16 gig iphone 3 factory unlocked within my range or maybe a lower priced iphone4. It seems like a good number of you folks have dealt with the iphone situation in ba?

Labrador
03-27-13, 20:35
I am pretty much in the android system. A factory unlocked droid with 3 g on 1900 should be available somewhere. I have placed a $200 arbitrary limit--which can be increased for a valid reason. There are locations in the USA, I think, where t-mobile uses 1900 mghtz.

It is better to buy something that is factory unlocked, so I have no t-mobile rom on the phone that might prevent it from working well with personel? Question?

The galaxy III's are $350 to $400. Shopuld I bit the bullet? Other models that one might suggest?

I can get a 16 gig iphone 3 factory unlocked within my range or maybe a lower priced iphone4. It seems like a good number of you folks have dealt with the iphone situation in ba?I have been using a IPhone 4 in my travels to BA for the last several years with no problems.. I personally think the Galaxy III are a nice phone (the Samsung screen is one of the best in the market.. Its one thing Samsung does well) .. But the cost is a bit much.. You should be able to find a IPhone 4 for a reasonable price.. I have at&t as my provider and they cover the gamit in terms of frequency.. Quad band.. Etc.. I travel quite a bit and have not found a country where my phone does not get service..

Just some input.. But it does become an issue as to home much do you want to spend.. And what features and capabilties are really really important.. No different that making a Chica decision.. .

Labrador.

Big Boss Man
03-27-13, 22:42

If you are going to spend $300 for an unlocked phone you might look at the Google Nexus. From what I have read, the advantage of the Google-branded phone is that you get the android updates at a faster pace and you do not have the providers-own apps embedded. It is a more generic android setup. I bought mine for $350 and they are now selling for $300. I am not a phone expert. The Nexus is the only smartphone I have owned but I like it. I use T-mobile in the States and Moviestar in Buenos Aires. I found the the data transmission too slow in Buenos Aires to use an app like Translate. I needed to be on a Wifi connection.

Miami Bob
03-28-13, 02:09
Verizon phones, even unlocked do not realy work well on personel / movistar. Verizon is cdmi and Argentina is gsm. Verizon techies told me in theory my note II unlocked should work. Note operates the voice on cdmi, but the data is on gsm. There is a gsm card in my phone that in theory can accept A FOREIGN SIM CARD / CHIP. QUITE FRANKLY, I don't want to be cruzing around BA with my USA primary work phone.

Techie android types: I think I found something pretty good pantech p9070.

GSM / GPRS / EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS /.

HSPA+ 850/1900/2100 MHz, LTE 700 MHz (Band.

17)/1700 MHz (Band 4) networks in North America, South.

America, Europe, Africa, and Asia-Pacific where these.

Networks are supported.

Ebay $80 http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANTECH-P9070-BURST-UNLOCKED-GREAT-CONDITION-4G-ANDROID-CAMERA-16GB-PHONE-BLACK-/370739476296?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D142%26meid%3D6551152702874375258%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D190816276176%26#rwid.

Owner's manuel on pantech website.

http://www.pantechusa.com/files/Burst%28P9070%29_Manual_EN.pdf

There are new unlocked ones on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BJ2TJH8/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I called pantech and they said that they have ungrades of the operating system to ics 4.01 that are unlocked and not at&t specific. On the amazon reviews people are using this in Venezuela for 3 g on the 1900 mgtz band. Personel uses 1900 in Argentina.

I should be able to buy a new one unlocked $150 to $200 or used unlocked international for around $100.

I am going to follow up on the BBM suggestion on a gsm nexus. I sold a fresh verizon reconditioned with some accessories for $225. I loved the nexus on verizon.

Unlocked at&t is Samsung I9250 Galaxy Nexus 16 GB (Unlocked) this should work on perosnel or movistar. Just turn off the 4 lite data as there is none in south america and it eats up battery.

2 G Network: GSM 850/900 / 1800/1900, 3 G Network: HSDPA 850/900 / 1700/1900 / 2100,4 G Network: LTE 700 (region specific),Phone 3 G Frequency: 850/900/ 1700/1900/ 2100 Mhz.

The nexus with the 4.7 inch screen is quad band on everything. Let's see what's on ebay.

Quad band from Hong Kong--the 4 g is on 700 mghtz so will not work in USA=everything else is quad band this baby should solve my problem. Us $172--fast and I owned one for about one year and know how to fully operate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-i9250-16GB-Unlocked-GSM-3G-4-65-S-AMOLED-WiFi-GPS-Phone-/281083311206?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item4171def466

I can likely get a nice used one from a safe seller for $175 to $200 with jelly bean--the latest operating system 4.2.2 like my note II.

Vs pantech for about $80 to $100.

Powerfull 1.2 GHz dual core processor for speedy data transfer.

Huge 16 GB storage space, Stunning 4.6 inch SUPER AMOLED Display.

DavieW
03-28-13, 03:43
I'm exhausted just watching this! Never seen so much work go into buying a phone!

Tres3
03-28-13, 09:19
I'm exhausted just watching this! Never seen so much work go into buying a phone!I second DW's comment. Why not get a phone that works on the USA service that you already use, and buy a simple, unlocked phone from Amazon for less than $30?? Most of the readers and posters on this board are not going to stay in Argentina very long, and do no need a phone down here except to call and text chicas or receive calls or texts from chicas. Do you really need the "instant" Internet that a phone provides? Other advantages of a cheap phone are that the do not make one a target for thieves, and make a great chica gift when you leave. Most BA apartments and hotels have WiFi that lets one surf the Internet from the comfort of one's room on a laptop and with a large screen. All the frustration and anger of crappy Argentine Internet over the phone service go away. One can enjoy one's vacation, and concentrate on fucking chicas. After all, isn't fucking chicas what you came here for? Besides, most chicas do not send email (they do not even own a computer), they send cheap text messages.

Tres3.

Miami Bob
03-28-13, 11:06
I have been using motorola v197's for many, many years as travel phones-quad bands--the ugly version of the original razor.

I use a super modern upper end phablet is the USA: note II-great phone just bought for $700 on craig's list for $550. My business life is on this phone. Not going to wander around a third world country with it. There are issues on whether or not it will work in buenos aires / Argentina. It is a verizon branded phone-cdmi and gms

I asked about 3 g in buenso aires-got responses that it works and is cheap for personel pre-paid phones. 1 pesos per day for 3 g.

There is an issue on the buying a phone that works around the world. The boys gave great suggestions. I assumed that there others in the same position as myself. I summarized 40 minutes of looking on-line:

The non-technical summary is: pantech burst used, $80 to new, $200 or samsung galaxy nexus with 4.65 inch screen used $175 to $225 v good condition.

If the phones are fully unlocked they should work on personel.

Iphone 4 is also a very good choice.

Sorry for wasting your time. I hope that a few people could make good use of my wanders on the net.

If anyone who I actually know wants a phone, I'll buy one and bring it into town the end of may.

Happy trails.

Mpexy
03-28-13, 21:57
Since you're willing to spend about $200, you can always just arrive in buenos aires, walk into a Personal store, and buy a prepago phone + sim that fits all your requirements plus no worries about whether works or not.

A Samsung Galaxy Ace was right around 1700 pesos or close to $200, basically a budget iPhone but other options if you prefer something else.

Big Boss Man
03-28-13, 22:53
Actually IMO buying an unlocked GSM smartphone for travel is a great and intelligent mongering tool.

Google maps with the location app is great. I have a whole tote bag of hard copy maps that I will never use again. Going to a privado for the first time just input the address and it will spit out the directions. We just had a monger who could not find Nuevo Estilo. I had a monger PM me and ask for directions to Scalibrini Ortiz and Cervino. I suggested that he become familiar with Google Maps. BA is not so hard to find things but try finding places in Zhu Hai or Shenzen without a map. Even with a map I walked unnecessary distances.

If you use chrome as your web browser on your laptop, the phone will keep the pictures of the girl so you can make a comparison. A chica stands you up while you are out of the apartment, I am already bookmarked to others I want to meet. I don't have to backtrack.

There is one security issue that I learned about the android phone. Miami Bob said he wanted to keep his business phone and travel phone separate. If you sign up with the same gmail all the information is kept in the cloud and downloaded to the new phone despite the carrier. In other words, all the chica phone numbers I collected were download to my US phone. This could have gotten me into some trouble with my US relationships. I would create two different gmails for my monger phone and my business phone for security. Maybe this obvious standard practice but I was not really thinking about it when I set it up.

I don't see me ever traveling again without an unlocked smartphone.

SunSeeker
03-28-13, 23:39
There is one security issue that I learned about the android phone. Miami Bob said he wanted to keep his business phone and travel phone separate. If you sign up with the same gmail all the information is kept in the cloud and downloaded to the new phone despite the carrier. In other words, all the chica phone numbers I collected were download to my US phone. This could have gotten me into some trouble with my US relationships. I would create two different gmails for my monger phone and my business phone for security. Maybe this obvious standard practice but I was not really thinking about it when I set it up.

I don't see me ever traveling again without an unlocked smartphone.You should be able to "disable" the sync option. I use a Galaxy S II and only sync my phone / email / pics / contacts etc info when I want to. Info I have deleted from my phone, such as a chicas contact info, is still available to me on my pc or online, but is no longer on my phone.

Miami Bob
03-29-13, 00:59
The samsung galaxy ace that they sell in buenos aires: is it 100% unlocked so i can use it in other countries? is it quad bad on voice, edge[2g] and 3g for that i can get access to interest almost anywhere in the world? the pantech burst, galaxy nexus s and iphone 4 all are quad band and i can buy them 100% unlocked.

I will likely go with BBM's nexus suggestion
-it is made by samsung and 100% of the software and updates can come directly from samsung without any locale cell company bull shit
-upgradeable to android jelley bean 4.2.2 which i have on my note II--much better than ice cream sandwhich 4.0.1
- i owned a verizon nexus as my prior primary usa PHONE. it is a great phone and i know how to use it 100%. love texting where i can change from spanish to english on the fly with word completion. i can be lazy and use google translation directly on the phone if i get an email or text in standard spanish{fat chance of that}
+++ gps foto storage and a good useable camera
-one year ago, this was a state of the art android--fast, great big screen
-with the 4g turned off the battery will last a very long time
- i can watch the usa new and netflix on it and actually see everything

only one issue: it is a target thieves and chicas and sellable i had my mot razyr--that looks hot stolden right in front of a cop by alabasto mall....group of 6 teenagers. the nexus looks hot and any chica would swipe it.......something else to worry about. that's why i have been uing the butt ugly moto v197 so many year. it's us$25 and i throw it away when i have a problem. i own three now. quad band works everywhere around the world.

Mpexy
04-09-13, 19:14
Seems new ability? I don't recall my Personal pre-pago phone still working in the USA and Europe back in early 2011 when I returned from an Argentina trip.

However, this trip after I reactivated phone after arriving bsas in Aug 2012, and returning to the states couple weeks ago, I notice I am connected via roaming, am able to get free txt messages, and send txts to chicas and friends in bsas for about 4 pesos per message.

I've personally gone 17 months dormant without phone number expiring so no real issue there, but seems like if you had enough credit balance you could keep your number indefinitely alive just by sending a text from abroad every now and then.

Anyway, interesting as this means next trip back I can just use my bsas phone to setup appointments even before leaving. Too bad Personal doesn't have as far as I can see an online recharging credits function.

Toymann
04-09-13, 19:51
Here is a question for the group. Does movie star or personnel offer micro SIM cards. The card I have used for years is the full size version. My new windows phone with Verizon is unlocked but requires the micro SIM card. I would prefer to use my new Nokia windows phone when in Argentina but will need the micro size. I have read that you can cut your old card down but it doesn't look possible when I compare my new Verizon micro SIM card to my old movie star full size SIM card. I base this on the observation that the metal part of the SIM cards do not look similar at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Toymann.

P.S. I know that in Canada you can just take your old full size SIM card to the provider and they will reprogram your historical number plus anything stored on your old SIM card to your new micro SIM card. Is this posible in Argentina?

DavieW
04-09-13, 20:22
I got my sim card re-issued by Personal before deciding on what phone to buy. When I got a Nokia Windows phone and realized it needed a micro-sim I went to the branch where I got the standard sim card and they said it would cost me another 30 pesos to have the sim re-issued, but then brought out a device to cut up the one I had and said they could turn it into a micro-sim without the need to re-issue. Five seconds later the trimmed sim was installed and working, no problem at all.

Canardly
04-09-13, 20:39
How do I call Verizon?

According to the local Apple store my IPhone 5 is "blocked".

Help please!

TIA Rick.

Toymann
04-09-13, 21:41
I got my sim card re-issued by Personal before deciding on what phone to buy. When I got a Nokia Windows phone and realized it needed a micro-sim I went to the branch where I got the standard sim card and they said it would cost me another 30 pesos to have the sim re-issued, but then brought out a device to cut up the one I had and said they could turn it into a micro-sim without the need to re-issue. Five seconds later the trimmed sim was installed and working, no problem at all.How old was the SIM card that they trimmed. My sim card is 6 years old. I trimmed it, didn't work in my Nokia. Just to make sure I didn't screw up the trimming. I taped it back together and it worked just fine in my old phone. Thanks for the info. I hope they actually have the micro cards in Argentina. Sounds like it. Toymann.

Rock Harders
04-09-13, 22:24
How old was the SIM card that they trimmed. My sim card is 6 years old. I trimmed it, didn't work in my Nokia. Just to make sure I didn't screw up the trimming. I taped it back together and it worked just fine in my old phone. Thanks for the info. I hope they actually have the micro cards in Argentina. Sounds like it. Toymann.Mongers-.

Both microSIM (iPhone 4, 4's) and nanoSIM (Iphone 5) are available from Movistar. There is an office on Santa Fe between Callao and Riobamba.

Suerte,

Rock Harders.

DavieW
04-10-13, 08:18
How old was the SIM card that they trimmed.New in January this year.

Wild Walleye
04-10-13, 15:02
Toymann:

I've trimmed regular SIM cards and they work fine, so long as the capabilities enabled on the SIM (for the old phone) includes everything needed by the new phone. Specifically, if the new phone has greater tech capabilities (I.e. 4 G LTE) than the old phone, voice will work but data probably will not. In the latter case, size doesn't matter you need a new sim to take advantage of the capabilities. If it is a Nokia Lumina (900+), you'll need a new sim.

You can buy a small little adapter to fit the trimmed (or new) micro SIM back into the standard SIM slot of your old phone. The new SIM will be backwards compatible. You can print out very precise templates for trimming the cards.

Toymann
04-10-13, 15:26
Toymann:

I've trimmed regular SIM cards and they work fine, so long as the capabilities enabled on the SIM (for the old phone) includes everything needed by the new phone. Specifically, if the new phone has greater tech capabilities (I.e. 4 G LTE) than the old phone, voice will work but data probably will not. In the latter case, size doesn't matter you need a new sim to take advantage of the capabilities. If it is a Nokia Lumina (900+), you'll need a new sim.

You can buy a small little adapter to fit the trimmed (or new) micro SIM back into the standard SIM slot of your old phone. The new SIM will be backwards compatible. You can print out very precise templates for trimming the cards.Figured you would show up sooner or later. My experience absolutely supports your comments. My SIM card is at least 6 years old. I did the Internet research and used a template to trim the card as I was hoping to just use my new Nokia 822 Verizon windows phone I just got in Argentina. It is great to see that now the us carriers have gone to unlocked phones, thus allowing chip switching when you are out of the country. As I mentioned, trimmed the chip, installed in my Nokia and no luck. Worried I might have screwed up the trim thus taped the card back together, inserted it back into my old unlocked phone and all was ok. I already ordered the adapter (5 bucks) so I can use the SIM card, sans all the tape. LOL. Plan to go to movie star on Santa Fe once I get to town and get a new micro SIM card with my old number. Had the number for many years now and would prefer to keep it if at all posible. If it costs me 30 pesos or so, no big deal, my old SIM card owes me nothing. LOL. I am assuming that movie star can give me a new "modern" SIM card that works in my Nokia, and keeps my old number working. By the way, the new windows phone totally rock! Best phone I have ever had! Monger on fisherman! Toymann.

P.S. You coming to Argentina this year, hope so.

Miami Bob
04-11-13, 01:54
I'm coming down in may with a newer model travel smart phone. Like the toyman, I want to go to a larger carrier store for a new modern sim while retaining my long term phone number. The large personel store on callao between santa fe and marcelo t is closed for a few years. Is there a replacement near by?

Thanks for you anticipate help.

Bob.

TejanoLibre
04-11-13, 02:38
I'm coming down in may with a newer model travel smart phone. Like the toyman, I want to go to a larger carrier store for a new modern sim while retaining my long term phone number. The large personel store on callao between santa fe and marcelo t is closed for a few years. Is there a replacement near by?

Thanks for you anticipate help.

Bob.http://www.personal.com.ar/centrosdeatencion/

Personnal:

There is a Large Company Store on Corrientes 566 from 9 to 6 on m-f (between Florida and San Martin) on the right if you are walking down from the Obelisco. Like always you can expect a long wait but it's almost air-conditioned and it's full of girls to check out. Maybe 10 blocks from the AP House and 3 blocks from Orleans?

I have not seen the mini sim cards here yet but I just call and text with a shit phone.

Maybe the best idea would be a dual sim phone, one sim for Argentina and one sim for the USA? 2 numbers with 1 phone if that would work.

TL.

DavieW
04-11-13, 12:17
http://www.personal.com.ar/centrosdeatencion/

Personnal:

There is a Large Company Store on Corrientes 566 from 9 to 6 on m-f (between Florida and San Martin)They won't issue you a SIM card (or sell you a phone) there. It's a 'customer service' (sic) centre only. You can queue up there for an hour before being given a slip of paper with the address of one of the several tiny little stores on Florida where you go and queue up for another hour to get your SIM. Or you can just go directly to one of the other stores.

(Bitter voice of experience!)

Miami Bob
04-11-13, 12:44
The callao y santa fe location did everything. I tend to stay in recoleta.

TOYMAN--tells us about your windows phone, please!

Chezz
04-11-13, 13:19
I have an iPhone 5 that I'd like to unlock. Does anybody have a recommendation for a place that will do it quickly and for a fair price? I'm still under contract with my US carrier.

Thanks!

Daddy Rulz
04-11-13, 15:06
I have an iPhone 5 that I'd like to unlock. Does anybody have a recommendation for a place that will do it quickly and for a fair price? I'm still under contract with my US carrier.

Thanks!Walk down the hall boludo, no promises though.

TejanoLibre
04-11-13, 18:11
They won't issue you a SIM card (or sell you a phone) there. It's a 'customer service' (sic) centre only. You can queue up there for an hour before being given a slip of paper with the address of one of the several tiny little stores on Florida where you go and queue up for another hour to get your SIM. Or you can just go directly to one of the other stores.

(Bitter voice of experience!)I have spent hours waiting but they did reissue a sim and they sold me a phone but I have a monthly plan. Maybe that is the difference.

They absolutely sell phones there but they will send you a block away for repairs on your phone if it is under warranty.

Bob, I know you prefer to stay in Recoleta but this place is only 10 walking blocks from the AP house. If I get a chance I will double check on the Callao location.

TL.

Toymann
04-11-13, 18:25
TOYMAN--tells us about your windows phone, please!Verizon based Nokia 822, paid 50 bucks when I re-upped my contract for two more years this past January. Verizon has now gone to unlocked phones with Verizon SIM card for US based operation. Simply put, the best phone I have ever had by a long shot! I have been using windows 8 surface tablet and laptop touch screens since this past October. Seemed like I should get a phone with a similar operating system. Voice recognition is excellent. Syncs with my email better and faster than my previous droid. Have used it in Canada with Canadian micro SIM card with no complications. Hoping that a movie star chip will be no different. Really love the fact I can just bring one phone with me on my worldwide travels now. Only downside I can see is will have to be really careful using it in buenos aires. Bet these babies are hot items for the grab and dash crowd. Let ya know how the movie star SIM card conversion goes. I really want to keep my old number. We'll see. Monger on Bobby. Toymann.

DavieW
04-11-13, 20:48
I have spent hours waiting but they did reissue a sim and they sold me a phone but I have a monthly plan.When? They issued me with a SIM soon after they opened this service centre, but when I went in January they told me they no longer issue SIM cards or phones there and sent me elsewhere. I also have a monthly plan and have had for 5+ years.

I also have a Windows phone (Nokia 710) and absolutely LOVE it. Only 7.5, but still the best mobile operating system I've ever had on a phone.

Mpexy
04-11-13, 21:40
When? They issued me with a SIM soon after they opened this service centre, but when I went in January they told me they no longer issue SIM cards or phones there and sent me elsewhere. I also have a monthly plan and have had for 5+ years.

I also have a Windows phone (Nokia 710) and absolutely LOVE it. Only 7.5, but still the best mobile operating system I've ever had on a phone.FWIW earlier this year, think about Jan, lost my Personal phone and went to the big Personal store on Florida, the one right next to Gallerias Pacifico, and they reissued me a SIM with same account, phone number and credit balance as one I lost. I didn't try changing format from regular to microsim but at the time there was no problem for me getting a reissued SIM.

I thought I would need my old paperwork but all the guy asked for was my number and I'd. Don't know what the SIM only cost is because while I was there I ended up buying a new phone as well. Guy told me it was X pesos for the SIM, forgot amount but don't believe it was a lot, but it was "free" if I also bought a phone. Only reason I quoted free is because maybe it's another weird argie thing but apparently their system can't issue you a zero charge SIM so the guy rung it up for 0.01 pesos, or 1 centavo.

p.s. my account is a pre-pago

TejanoLibre
04-11-13, 22:01
When? They issued me with a SIM soon after they opened this service centre, but when I went in January they told me they no longer issue SIM cards or phones there and sent me elsewhere. I also have a monthly plan and have had for 5+ years.

I also have a Windows phone (Nokia 710) and absolutely LOVE it. Only 7.5, but still the best mobile operating system I've ever had on a phone.They may have stopped selling phones and issuing sims a the Corrientes location and I did not realize it. Too bad for me! I also remember a 10 p fee for a sim that was immediately reduced to zero or .01 centavo when I checked out. The place is a madhouse on any given day and they also seem to have System problems a few days a week.

Super annoying because if you call their help center the Center can't tell you if their stores have operating systems in order! You have to go in person!

Best Advice:

Don't lose your phone.

TL.

DavieW
04-12-13, 11:53
The place is a madhouse on any given day and they also seem to have System problems a few days a week.
Oh yeah, forgot about that! I've needed to go there 4 times in total and twice their systems were down.

Current price for a standard SIM is 30 pesos, but you're probably only going to pay that if you're a first timer. I'd wager a fair sum that they'll charge a lot more for a micro-SIM if they've got them!

Miami Bob
04-19-13, 23:42
Bigboss man's suggestion of the samsung galaxy nexus s unlocked gsm is a great one. On ebay good ones with an extra battery are generally selling from a reliable seller us $250 to $300. I was thinking $200. Then I saw this:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_8gb&feature=ha-text-sem_bk-n4&utm_source=ha&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=sem_bk&utm_content=n4&gclid=CJCz08WM2LYCFU9T7AodDXAAAA&gclsrc=ds

This is the new nexus which google sells directly fully unlocked and intended to be used anywhere in the world for us $300 new or with extra memory for $350. On voice quad band and on 3 g five frequency bands. Great reviews: fast, gorgeous, well designed.

The only negatives I can find after research are:

1. glass front and back which might break. There are a few beautiful cases that solve that problem for us $15 or less. This is phone that I would put a screen protector on right away.
case of choice: us$14.00
http://www.amazon.com/Google-Ringke-Selling-Premium-Package/dp/B00B7QGT6U/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1366422339&sr=1-2&keywords=nexus+4+case

2. can't change the battery during those long international flights when you want to play with your phone. I have an external battery becuase in live in an area with tropical storms and multiple day power outages.

US $30--with 5600 mAh enough for 16 hours of angry birds or a weekend without electric with careful use.

Miami Bob
04-19-13, 23:52
External battery:

http://www.amazon.com/5600mAh-Capacity-Portable-External-Flashlight/dp/B005K7192G/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1366422695&sr=1-1&keywords=anker+astro+5600 mah.

Fusion case:

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Ringke-Selling-Premium-Package/dp/B00B7QGT6U/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1366422339&sr=1-2&keywords=nexus+4+case.

Big Boss Man
04-20-13, 14:00
I slapped a screen protector immediately on my Nexus. I use the Otterbox Commutter for the case. https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8020356983480432726?q=otterbox%20commuter%20for%20nexus&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45512109,d.cGE&biw=1777&bih=861&sa=X&ei=DbxyUZGxBOSKiALU0oGAAg&ved=0CFYQ8wIwAA All for a higher price than Miami Bob is paying. He probably pays less for chicas too.

Miami Bob
04-21-13, 20:55
got a galaxy nexus 9250 unlocked gsm about $230 on ebay today. i will buy an extended battery and likely tpu case.

i have been using a very simple model for talk/text only-motorola v197--older type sim card

When i arrive in ba, i will put 50 or 20 pesos on the sim to re-activate it.
A standard 8 year+ year old sim card or chip will never work in the nexus. i do not see the type of sim card/chip that the nexus takes.
BBM--what type of sim does your nexus 9250 unlocked gsm take?

i will go to the personel store on florida y cordoba next to galerias pacifica per the other suggestions below with a copy of my passport to get my phone number activated on the correct sim for the nexus? [does cafe oleans have wifi to get the phone going and look at the overpriced uglies?]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

before i leave the usa, i'll go to t-mobile and buy the cheapest prepaid possible to configure with a new gmail account set up for travel or am i better off just lumping it on the gmail account i use with my usa primary phone? What do you suggest BBM?
-0n whichever account i use, i'll configure in the usa with my favorite app's including netflix which streams in buenos aires as of my last trip. i assume pandora and spotify will not work in argentina.skype. vonage extensions. neutron music player. a task manager google maps and navigation
-----------------------------------------------------

If i hide my ip argentine address using a service like HIDEMAN i can use or appear like i have an ip in the usa? this will help get access to pandora which does not stream outside of the usa?
---------------------------------------------
back at the personel office:

they inset the correct sim chip and everything should work that is designed to work out of the usa. eg drop box will work internationally, but pandora will not? googlemaps and street navigation should work?

now put 99 pesos on the sim as that is the max they used to sell at the personel store?

ANY SUGGESTION ARE APPRECIATED. this will be my first over seas trip with a smart phone set up with a local sim card. i will still have my usa verison phablet to use on wifi. i'll also have a locale phone to take on the street. if the nexus get ripped-off, it will bother me and i am out $230 to 250, but my life is not disturbed.

Big Boss Man
04-21-13, 22:14
got a galaxy nexus 9250 unlocked gsm about $230 on ebay today. i will buy an extended battery and likely tpu case.

i have been using a very simple model for talk/text only-motorola v197--older type sim card

When i arrive in ba, i will put 50 or 20 pesos on the sim to re-activate it.
A standard 8 year+ year old sim card or chip will never work in the nexus. i do not see the type of sim card/chip that the nexus takes.
BBM--what type of sim does your nexus 9250 unlocked gsm take? Sorry I am not a tech expert but I can share my experience. I am not sure the current SIM card will not work in the Nexus. My previous phone was a Nokia flipphone that I bought used at the MBK in Bangkok. It was fairly old. Before you buy a T- Mobile SIM card I would try to set up the phone with the old SIM card and a wifi connection. Maybe this is why I could not get internet on the street because I have the old SIM card. Google maps was working.

before i leave the usa, i'll go to t-mobile and buy the cheapest prepaid possible to configure with a new gmail account set up for travel or am i better off just lumping it on the gmail account i use with my usa primary phone? What do you suggest BBM?
-0n whichever account i use, i'll configure in the usa with my favorite app's including netflix which streams in buenos aires as of my last trip. i assume pandora and spotify will not work in argentina.skype. vonage extensions. neutron music player. a task manager google maps and navigation
-----------------------------------------------------

If i hide my ip argentine address using a service like HIDEMAN i can use or appear like i have an ip in the usa? this will help get access to pandora which does not stream outside of the usa?
---------------------------------------------
back at the personel office:

they inset the correct sim chip and everything should work that is designed to work out of the usa. eg drop box will work internationally, but pandora will not? googlemaps and street navigation should work?

now put 99 pesos on the sim as that is the max they used to sell at the personel store?

ANY SUGGESTION ARE APPRECIATED. this will be my first over seas trip with a smart phone set up with a local sim card. i will still have my usa verison phablet to use on wifi. i'll also have a locale phone to take on the street. if the nexus get ripped-off, it will bother me and i am out $230 to 250, but my life is not disturbed.There is a phone guy that has a shop inside the locoturio at the corner of Cordoba and Callao that I used rather than the big Personel store. He has SIM cards. I do have Moviestar though.

I suggested setting up a separate gmail account because you wanted to keep your business contacts separate. My experience was that all the chica phone numbers I collected ended up on the contact list of my USA phone. I was eating dinner with my girlfriend and I opened my contact list when I realized I had all these women's first names with Argentine phone numbers. Plus I bookmark webpages with chicas I want to see so those all show up on my phone if you use Chrome as your Browser. I ended up deleting all those chica contacts. Not too important to me because I do not speak Spanish and really have not developed a private list like most of you guys.

I thinking that two Gmail accounts is the way to go if you do not want to screwup your US relationships. I know guys that would buy private phones to hide their mongering activities from their wives.

Daddy Rulz
04-21-13, 23:15
I have a 4's locked to verizon, anybody know anybody local to do an IMEI unlock? I'm trying to beat the 125 US dollar price on E-Bay.

Miami Bob
04-21-13, 23:27
Does anyone have experience with an android app for hiding your foreign IP address. I want to appear as if I am in the USA while is baires?

I use "hideman" in USA. I am not too technically inclined so keep the level of discourse simple and basic.

Daddy Rulz
04-21-13, 23:56
Does anyone have experience with an android app for hiding your foreign IP address. I want to appear as if I am in the USA while is baires?

I use "hideman" in USA. I am not too technically inclined so keep the level of discourse simple and basic.Regardless of if you're using a mobile device or some kind of PC there are shit tons of services that do that. The term you want to search is VPN (Virtual Private Network) there are free and pay ones. Free ones are generally slower and have annoying ads, pay ones faster no ads. Even if you pay it's not that expensive.

I don't do android so I don't know much about it but itunes shows 147 apps for the iphone. I would do a little research and what you're looking for is reviews on speed and uptime. Some will even give you a choice of where the VPN ends, ie Texas, Cali, NY ect. Seriously there are tons of these. I checked and Lifehacker says you can use Hideman when you're overseas so you probably covered already.

Miami Bob
04-23-13, 02:35
Page plus re-sells verizon's excellent network for 1/2 the price that verizon sells it. Pageplus does not have access to the 4 lite fast 4 g network. A modern iphone 4 or 4's works well after flashing by someone who knows how:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1796129-Which-smartphones-are-known-to-be-fully-functional-after-flashing

DADDY--do any of the major argentine cell carriers flash verizon phones to work with there networks using cdma technology today. Years ago movistar used both gsm and cdma?

Don B
05-04-13, 15:37
It's also burried in the cellphone if you can find your way to the right place.

I spent over 40 years in telecommunications but this generation is computer oriented, they only know how to write instructions for people who don't need them.

Don.Tried unsuccessfully to find a location in centro where I could charge my Claro SIM. Any ideas?

Don B.

Daddy Rulz
05-04-13, 15:41
Tried unsuccessfully to find a location in centro where I could charge my Claro SIM. Any ideas?

Don B.Damn near any kiosko.

Don B
05-05-13, 11:16
Damn near any kiosko.I charged my cell phone using last years Claro SIM card but either the wrong number was imputed or the number was no longer valid as I have emergency service only. Back to square one.

Don B.

Gandolf50
05-05-13, 12:18
I charged my cell phone using last years Claro SIM card but either the wrong number was imputed or the number was no longer valid as I have emergency service only. Back to square one.

Don B.They will let you know right away if the number was bad. You must be doing something wrong. Whats so hard about writing down your phone number, plus "Claro" on a piece of paper and giving it to any place that does a virtual recharge? Then all you need to tell them is how much you want to add. Or you can write down the amount in pesos also.

Daddy Rulz
05-05-13, 12:45
I charged my cell phone using last years Claro SIM card but either the wrong number was imputed or the number was no longer valid as I have emergency service only. Back to square one.

Don B.If the last time you put credit on it was a year ago you might be screwed, the number might be dead.

Daddy Rulz
05-05-13, 12:50
I bought an iPhone but need to get an IMEI unlock. I checked with Verizon (who the phone is unlocked to) and the tech there checked out the phone and told me that any person with an active Verizon account older than 90 days in good standing can get this phone unlocked with a phone call. There is no charge involved. I would rather have Verizon do it than take my chances on some internet deal.

Can anybody help a brother out?

Don B
05-05-13, 13:59
They will let you know right away if the number was bad. You must be doing something wrong. Whats so hard about writing down your phone number, plus "Claro" on a piece of paper and giving it to any place that does a virtual recharge? Then all you need to tell them is how much you want to add. Or you can write down the amount in pesos also.Gee, that's what I did.

Don B.

Gandolf50
05-05-13, 15:07
Gee, that's what I did.

Don B.Then maybe your number expired as pointed out by others. Go buy a new chip for 10 pesos and it usually comes with some credit.

Sportsman
05-05-13, 17:12

Don B.If the SIM card is valid but no credit to make outgoing calls, at least the carrier's name shows up on the phone and be able to receive incoming calls. You should be able to buy more credit to it.

If the SIM card is no longer valid, the phone will show emergency service only. Time to get a new SIM card.

Don B
05-06-13, 19:39
If the SIM card is valid but no credit to make outgoing calls, at least the carrier's name shows up on the phone and be able to receive incoming calls. You should be able to buy more credit to it.

If the SIM card is no longer valid, the phone will show emergency service only. Time to get a new SIM card.

Back in March the consensus here was 17 months to two years that the SIM would be valid. When I powered up my phone Claro popped up on the screen leading me to believe it was OK, when I had it charged there was no indication that the number was not valid. Today according to Claro the SIM expires after six months (of non-use?). With TL's help I got the cellphone situation resolved, a new SIM.

Don B.

Tres3
05-06-13, 21:06
I bought a Moviestar SIM from a kiosk in early May of 2012. The nice young man in the kiosk installed the SIM and activated the phone. I recharged it once before returning to the USA in early June of 2012.

The Moviestar SIM was supposed to be valid for 12-17 months.

When I returned to Argentina in early May of 2013 the phone said "invalid SIM". Thinking that the SIM was invalid because the remaining time had expired, I put $200 pesos of time on the SIM on May 3, 2013. The phone still said "invalid SIM". I went to a Movirstar office to find out what was wrong, and was told that my number had been given to another Moviestar customer-so much for the 12-17 month validity period. I was also told that I would have to go to a Moviestar "commercial" office to have my $200 pesos transferred to a new SIM and number.

I chalked it up to experience and bought a Personal SIM. I will not do business with Moviestar again. Caveat Emptor!

Tres3.

Miami Bob
05-06-13, 22:28
I will help you out if you need it. PM me.

Verizon is a CDMA carrier. I do not believe that any major telco in ARGENTINA is still operating in CDMA technology. All the carriers are using gsm now? I am not sure!
In 2003 a woman friend was using Movi Star with an huge ancient CDMA cell phone. Movistar kept breaking her chops and wanted her to switch to the newer technology which they adapted--gsm. Before you do a bunch of work, DO any of the major argentine cell providers use CDMA technology?

Verizon is 100% CDMA--their 4 LITE fast 4g is gsm. My current verizon smart phone has all of it's service via CDMA, but the fast 4 g is gsm. Sprint is also CDMA. T mobile and AT&T are gsm.

Miami Bob
05-08-13, 00:38
The iphone 4's can be used with a gsm sim card if unlocked-iphones use both cdma and gsm. Unfortuately verison's unlocking procedure for your phone requires that it be activated on the verizon network to be unlocked. The iphone from verizon cannot be unlocked outside of the USA. Please see my text for more specific info.

Gerente
05-12-13, 20:06
I bought a Moviestar SIM from a kiosk in early May of 2012. The nice young man in the kiosk installed the SIM and activated the phone. I recharged it once before returning to the USA in early June of 2012.

The Moviestar SIM was supposed to be valid for 12-17 months.

When I returned to Argentina in early May of 2013 the phone said "invalid SIM". Thinking that the SIM was invalid because the remaining time had expired, I put $200 pesos of time on the SIM on May 3, 2013. The phone still said "invalid SIM". I went to a Movirstar office to find out what was wrong, and was told that my number had been given to another Moviestar customer-so much for the 12-17 month validity period. I was also told that I would have to go to a Moviestar "commercial" office to have my $200 pesos transferred to a new SIM and number.

I chalked it up to experience and bought a Personal SIM. I will not do business with Moviestar again. Caveat Emptor!

Tres3.I have found a site where you can recharge your credit remotely. With my Personal account it would only keep the sim active for 6 months unless you used it or put more money in it. Now I can do this via internet.

LlamaArgentina.com

Miami Bob
05-13-13, 00:20
Can it be done via personel or a third party payment organization.

Sorcerer
06-16-13, 12:38
My SIM for my Blackberry from the US does not appear to work in Brasil so I am expecting the same problem when I arrive in Buenos Aires.

I arrive Thursday MORNING June 21 2013 (Bad timing.Touristic Holiday) and was planning on contacting some people to have some fun. Looks like I need to find a local SIM CARD real fast. Only need it for 3 days. Anyone have and idea on where I can get on on that day (holiday).

Thanks.

Silver Star
06-16-13, 13:34
My SIM for my Blackberry from the US does not appear to work in Brasil so I am expecting the same problem when I arrive in Buenos Aires.

I arrive Thursday MORNING June 21 2013 (Bad timing.Touristic Holiday) and was planning on contacting some people to have some fun. Looks like I need to find a local SIM CARD real fast. Only need it for 3 days. Anyone have and idea on where I can get on on that day (holiday).

Thanks.Hi Sorcerer.

We offer free Sim Cards and / or loaner phones upon arrival for those who take advantage of our premium chauffeured airport transfer service. We also offer financial services, so you can make the most out of your limited time here.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Nikki
06-16-13, 14:40

Thanks.Most kioskos sell them, and they are all over the city. They will be open when you arrive so you should not worry.

TejanoLibre
06-16-13, 16:25
Can it be done via personel or a third party payment organization.This will take you to their Home Page:

http://www.personal.com.ar/

It looks like you can do it from here but I'm not sure if you can do it from there.

Your best bet is to have someone that is in BA to add credit to your phone.

Takes 2 minutes in most Kioscos.

They just need your number.

TL.

Nikki
06-16-13, 18:37
Can it be done via personel or a third party payment organization.If you have an Arg bank account you can do it via pagomiscuentas.com wherever you are.

MrWoppers
06-29-13, 15:52
I have a Iphone 4's for sale. Its unlocked and has all accessories in the the box.. Where can I sell it? I am in mardelplata...any help please.

DavieW
06-29-13, 16:19
I have a Iphone 4's for sale. Its unlocked and has all accessories in the the box.. Where can I sell it? I am in mardelplata...any help please.If you don't get any takers here, your best bet is www.mercadolibre.com.ar (the most popular of the local equivalents of eBay, although most things are sold at a fixed price rather than auctioned). Looks like people are asking between $4000 and $4500 on there, although that's no indication of how much they're actually selling for.

e2a: in my experience, if it's an Argie selling something second hand then they're probably asking for approximately double what it's worth! ;-)

Gandolf50
06-29-13, 16:27
e2a: in my experience, if it's an Argie selling something second hand then they're probably asking for approximately double what it's worth! ;-)Very often they ask for what they paid for it new. (or more) Their rationale is that its now better then new because they took such good care of it!!

DavieW
06-29-13, 18:21
Very often they ask for what they paid for it new. (or more) Their rationale is that its now better then new because they took such good care of it!!Ha, ha!

It's funny cos it's true!

MrWoppers
06-29-13, 18:27
Thanks for the info guys.

Daddy Rulz
06-29-13, 19:26
Very often they ask for what they paid for it new. (or more) Their rationale is that its now better then new because they took such good care of it!!There is a Faria Americana on Suipache where you can have the honor of buying used (not vintage, just used) Levis for 100 pesos more than you can buy brand new ones at the Levi Store up the street on Santa Fe. Just one of those things I will never be able to understand.

DavieW
06-29-13, 20:57
There is a Faria Americana on Suipache where you can have the honor of buying used (not vintage, just used) Levis for 100 pesos more than you can buy brand new ones at the Levi Store up the street on Santa Fe. Just one of those things I will never be able to understand.

My favourite Argentinism is the pricing of multi-packs in supermarkets. Individual items at 5 pesos, six-packs at 32 pesos. Have a look at any multi-packs - it's very rare that you'll see any savings by buying them!

Gandolf50
06-29-13, 21:20
My favourite Argentinism is the pricing of multi-packs in supermarkets. Individual items at 5 pesos, six-packs at 32 pesos. Have a look at any multi-packs - it's very rare that you'll see any savings by buying them!The words "Volume discount" are not in the Argentine dictionary.

TomJackin
06-30-13, 00:45
Hello all!

Making my virgin trip to BA and doing a lot of research; there is a lot of info out there.

I come up short on where I can get a sim card for my unlocked phone. Is there a place at the airport where I can buy one?

If any want to meet up and share monger war stories, the first couple of drinks are on me!

Daddy Rulz
06-30-13, 01:53
Hello all!

Making my virgin trip to BA and doing a lot of research; there is a lot of info out there.

I come up short on where I can get a sim card for my unlocked phone. Is there a place at the airport where I can buy one?

If any want to meet up and share monger war stories, the first couple of drinks are on me!10 posts back, on this page, of this thread this subject is discussed.

MrWoppers
07-01-13, 21:50
Does anyone know can I buy a sim card for iphone in Argentina.. Like a Argentina phone company.

TejanoLibre
07-01-13, 22:10
Does anyone know can I buy a sim card for iphone in Argentina.. Like a Argentina phone company.Sim Cards grow on trees down here.

They are everywhere.

News-stands, Kioscos, phone stores, official carrier shops, etc.

Some come with a few Bonus minutes and some do not. Maybe as low as 20 p and as high as 40 p which should include about 20 pesos credit.

Carriers:

Claro. Good (maybe double credits on 50 p plus recharge).

Personal. Better (better service than Claro, double credit a few days a week.).

Movistar. Best (best coverage, double credit a few days a week.).

Attention..

Don't expect a lot of minutes per peso. Maybe 5 pesos per minute or worse. Most of the people just text each other.

TL.

Never buy ANYTHING at an Airport!

MrWoppers
07-01-13, 22:17
Sim Cards grow on trees down here.

They are everywhere.

News-stands, Kioscos, phone stores, official carrier shops, etc.

Some come with a few Bonus minutes and some do not. Maybe as low as 20 p and as high as 40 p which should include about 20 pesos credit.

Carriers:

Claro. Good (maybe double credits on 50 p plus recharge).

Personal. Better (better service than Claro, double credit a few days a week.).

Movistar. Best (best coverage, double credit a few days a week.).

Attention..

Don't expect a lot of minutes per peso. Maybe 5 pesos per minute or worse. Most of the people just text each other.

TL.

Never buy ANYTHING at an Airport!Ok thanks for the info..but sim cards for iphone you can buy there?

TejanoLibre
07-01-13, 22:43
Ok thanks for the info..but sim cards for iphone you can buy there?Maybe not the miniature Sim Cards. Not sure.

Most of the Boys that come down here use I-Phones so I assume that they buy the cards here.

Your BEST Bet is to leave your I-Phone at home to avoid the "Apple Pickers" and to buy a $20.00 Throw Down Phone from E-Bay that will work in BA.

People kill for I-Phones.

TL.

MrWoppers
07-01-13, 22:45
Maybe not the miniature Sim Cards. Not sure.

Most of the Boys that come down here use I-Phones so I assume that they buy the cards here.

Your BEST Bet is to leave your I-Phone at home to avoid the "Apple Pickers" and to buy a $20.00 Throw Down Phone from E-Bay that will work in BA.

People kill for I-Phones.

TL.Apple pickers??

TejanoLibre
07-01-13, 22:48
Apple pickers??Apple Pickers..

Thieves that target Apple Devices like I-Pads, I-Phones, I-Pods, etc.

It's an International Sport.

TL.

MrWoppers
07-01-13, 22:48
Apple Pickers..

Thieves that target Apple Devices like I-Pads, I-Phones, I-Pods, etc.

It's an International Sport.

TL.Ok thanks for the advice..

Gandolf50
07-23-13, 20:18
I'm not sure if this got covered or not but I remember people asking about this, so here goes. I bought a "replacement" phone for a "lady" friend today and I noticed that the sim chip was perforated and could be used as a standard size chip or as a "mini" chip. It was a Movistar.

Boston
08-17-13, 18:33
I think I am correct when I say I need to dial 54911 xxxx xxxx for a cell phone in BA from my Skype account, but what do I dial for the regular land line which is xxxx xxxx?

Thanks.