PDA

View Full Version : Cellphones: Calling-Using-Buying-Importing-Activating-Renting

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jackson
01-01-05, 02:00
Thread Starter.

Jackson
02-16-05, 17:32
Dialing sequence for calling from the USA to cellphones in Argentina.

011-54-911-XXXX-XXXX

011 = The code for making an international call.

54 = The country code for Argentina.

911 = The prefix for cellphones (replaces the 15 in the cell phone number.)

XXXX-XXXX = The last 8 digits of the cellphone number.

JustGotBack
02-26-05, 14:40
Heading to BA today. Can't wait for the flight to leave. Can I buy a simcard for my GSM phone at any Telefonica store or is there a central one I have to go to?

Knuckhead
02-26-05, 15:15
JGB, to answer your question about pre-paid SIM cards:

I was previously under the impression you can buy a pre-paid SIM card from CTI at Florida and Paraguay. A few weeks ago I went there and they said they do not sell these without a phone and service. This was the exact opposite of what I had heared and seen discussed here.

OTOH, "personal" sells pre-paid SIM cards. I went to one of their branches in Florida and the clerck said he needs my passport. When I returned with the passport, I couldn't find that exact store, so I just went in another one of those kiosks with the "personal" logo. This time they asked for nothing at all, and just handed me a SIM card for 70 Pesos (30 Pesos for the card and already pre-loaded with 40 Pesos for calling).

It just goes to show how inconsistent things could be from one store to another! My suggestion is just walk along Florida and go to any "personal" kiosk you see, and eventually one of them just sells you the card without asking for anything but the cash.

Bacchus9
02-27-05, 22:51
I made the same discovery on arrival in January. In addition to the bad news at Movil, the lines were packed should you want to establish service.

Wandered down Florida and found Personal, bought a Personal Lite subscription. One add-on to the experience, after getting the SIM card, the guy walked me out into the Florida median to buy some Personal recarga cards from a kiosk. SIM and cards in hand I still didn't have phone service. Had to wait a couple of hours, call the guy back at his little office and they read the phone number to me over the phone. After that I had a number for the phone and I believe it was after that when I could charge the phone with pesos and become active. The phone is registered in the seller's name, not mine, so calling up the phone company I always have to explain why it's not my name. One more issue to be navigated in Spanish.

A couple of other "issues": when you recharge the phone you must navigate the instructions in Spanish, then enter the special numbers you've scratched to on the back of the Personal Lite recharge card. Sometimes the computer voice will tell you you've entered an invalid number. DON'T give up, just re-enter the number, keep re-entering until it accepts it.
: sometimes trying to get to the recharge service can take more than one call. Your call may drop, repeatedly, before you get through.
: if you run out of money on the phone, don't expect to be able to re-charge it with fresh pesos and keep on going. It can take 30 to 120 minutes to get service back. If you, wisely, charge it up while you've still got some credit on there it's a seamless process and there's no interruption.
: with Personal Lite you can charge up to $100 pesos. You buy cards in $10 or $20 pesos sizes

JustGotBack
02-28-05, 21:53
If you don't want to read the long story. Here's the bottom line. Go get a CTI MOVIL simcard with 50 pesos of credit for 50 pesos. No need for names, passports or anything but 50 pesos. If you want a Personal sim card, shop since the price quotes varied from 25 to 40 pesos with 0 credits for me.

By the way, here's what I said in my California Spanglish to ask for the card:
"Yo queiro compra prepagos simcard." Some of them referred to the simcard as "el chip".

At first I stopped by a local mom and pop store Palermo by my hotel. She quizzed me about the phone but then said I could get a Personal simcard for 30 pesos and buy time in increments of 10 pesos each. Being the super cheap bastard that I am, I decided to shop. I went all along Florida street and asked numerous Telefonica shops and some Personal shops about a pre paid simcard. All the Telefonica shops said you can't buy one and all but one of the Personal shops said the same. The one that didn't wanted 40 pesos for the sim card. I turned on Correintes to head back to Palermo. I stopped by the big main Telefonica super center there. Everyone hear speaks English. Many of the conversations with the customers are in English. The receptionist said they sold prepaid simcards but I would have to get my phone approved first. I went to the tech window. The tech and I had a discussion about wheter my phone would work in Argentina. He says no, I say yes. He finally relents after he pops in a simcard and it works. He says I'm good. I asked him how much a prepaid simcard is. He says 20 pesos and that I should talk to an agent. I get to the agent and he tells me they don't sell prepaid sim cards anymore. I wished everyone else knew that before putting me through the process. I head out and stop by another local mom and pop. They are selling Personal simcards for 25 pesos. I almost bite but decided to check with another place since the prices are so variable. I stop by CTI Movil. I saw a ton of their shops but didn't stop because I didn't think they were an option. Jackpot. They sent me to a tech as well to check out my phone. We had the same discussion as the last tech which got resolved when she put her simcard in and it worked. I didn't mind at all this time since she was hot. Anyways, I got a CTI Movil simcard for 50 pesos that also has 50 pesos of credit. The best deal of them all. They didn't ask for my name or passport or anything other than 50 pesos. My advice is to just go to CTI Movil.

Knuckhead
02-28-05, 22:38
JGB, for the good of the board, just post which CTI movil store you went to. As a bonus, also post which hot tech agent you talked to!

Three weeks ago the CTI movil in Florida and Paraguay said they do NOT sell prepaid SIM cards! Go figure!

JustGotBack
03-01-05, 14:31
The one I went to was on Corrientes between Florida and Ave Julio de 9th. Closer to the 9th. I think they only have one tech, she's downstairs in the hot box.

Here's another tip. Make sure your phone charger can take 220volts. I bought a used phone for the trip and just assumed that everything is 110/220volts noiw days. It worked fine for one charge but I went to recharge this morning and it was dead. I looked at the back and it's 110volts only. Anyone know where I can get a cheap charger for a Nokia?

Jaimito Cartero
03-01-05, 21:58
If you don't want to read the long story. Here's the bottom line. Go get a CTI MOVIL simcard with 50 pesos of credit for 50 pesos.

Great report. Are the cards valid for a certain amount of time? I rather detest cell phones in the US (I carried one around for 15 years and got tired of people being able to find me!), but am thinking of getting a monger phone.

I'm also thinking of getting a Vonage account so I can make business calls when I'm away too. As I understand it, you can take the box with you and hook into any high speed line and it's like you're dialing from the states.

Sportsman
03-02-05, 02:33
The one I went to was on Corrientes between Florida and Ave Julio de 9th. Closer to the 9th. I think they only have one tech, she's downstairs in the hot box.

Here's another tip. Make sure your phone charger can take 220volts. I bought a used phone for the trip and just assumed that everything is 110/220volts noiw days. It worked fine for one charge but I went to recharge this morning and it was dead. I looked at the back and it's 110volts only. Anyone know where I can get a cheap charger for a Nokia?

JGB,
Instead of a 220V charger for a phone, I recommend buying a universal voltage coverter kit. I got mine for about $30 few years ago and it has a converter and 5 set of plugs for just about anywhere in the world. I use it for all my protable electrical/electronic devices (shaver, toothbrush, phone, laptop) when I travel out of the country.
Sportsman

Jaimito Cartero
03-02-05, 03:18
I got one at Radio Shack for $25 or so. It's worked in every country I've gone to. You should note that for the output of your items. They had two different "sizes", and one size would only recharge shavers and such, while the larger one would handle a lot more things.

JustGotBack
03-02-05, 18:05
I don't know. I didn't bother asking. I assume that it goes invalid at some point.

I turns out you can buy a universal nokia charger here in BA for 20-25 pesos. They have spade, USA, plug variants as well as the local diagonal plug ones. Get the US one so that you can use it back home in the US if you're an American. Sure, you can get a new Nokia charger in the US for 99 cents instead of a cheap generic here in BA for $7, but what can you do? It amazes me that the US is so cheap when it comes to electronics.

Another thing. If you aren't sure your phone is unlocked or GSM or whatever. Vonfil aka Telefonica is running special right now. A prepaid Motorola C115 phone, a case, discount time cards and 50 pesos in credit for 149 pesos, about 50 dollars.

Miami Bob
03-13-05, 19:16
I need to accept business calls and personal calls from ba in the usa.

www.telefonicaeurocom.com
outlines two services which might be helpful:
-I have a BA telephone number which rings in miami. the cost is us$ 13. monthly. This allows my business to have
a local ba number without paying to staff it. A second line is us$5.00 per monthly.
-You could have one BA line which rings at the office and another at home for us$ monthly.

Vonage is great. This is another alternative which may make sense for some one like my self who is servicing argentines from an office location in the usa or someone who is living in ba and needs to stay in contact with an office in the usa.

Telefonica also has a number of long distance international services--calling cards and international lond distance that are worth looking at. It is not as reliable as AT&T, but it's pretty good.

bob

MoonDog
04-23-05, 13:01
Thanks for the info; I haven’t decided if I even need a cell phone, I was just trying to get a feel for the cost. I will be in BA May 3rd for a two week stay; hopefully I will see you at one of the Mansion parties.
A cell phone is an absolute necessity for that length of stay. Learn how to use the voice mail feature as well. That way other friends can get in touch with you very easily.

Enjoy the life,

Moondog

HappyGoLucky
04-23-05, 16:16
On my last trip I purchased a SIM card from Telefonica for $20 pesos and they gave me $50 pesos of airtime for free. I put the SIM card in my Nokia tri-band phone from the USA and it worked great. However, it's necessary to get your cell phone unlocked if you decide to do this.

Just another option,
-HGL

Jaimito Cartero
04-25-05, 19:41
I am interested in getting a cellphone that will work in most parts of the world, but just buying a sim card or such. Tri-band seems to be the answer. I wonder if it is better to buy one in Argentina when I go next week, or pick up one on Ebay or such.

Countries I am going to, or will be going to: Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica (Doubt it will work there), Indonesia, Thailand, Peru, Colombia, etc.

Macgoo
04-25-05, 20:46
Was in Bs As last week and took my Pocket PC (PPC) with Quad-band phone. Fortunately, the phone comes unlocked. I purchased a chip from CTI Movil for p$10 and later paid p$50 for additional minutes. Once I got the miniature card-printed Spanish translated to English, I was able to use the card without a hitch. Unfortunately, by the time I learned the instructions, I lost out on some sweet non pro-action. Another problem, I had initially, was that all voice instructions were in Spanish, without the English option. My recommendation would be to take Jackson up on the rental phone, if nothing more than the instructions, which are probably in English.

BTW, I want to take this opportunity to thank Jackson and MD for their maps. I downloaded their various maps to my PPC and was easily able to navigate the entire city -- like a "regular". When the Taxis were in doubt, I would simply use the drill down (zoom) function to "blow-up" the actual street name and numbers from the maps. I can not begin to describe the benefit of having those maps on my phone. Thanks guys!!!

I also downloaded pictures of targeted chicas from various Websites (w/numbers) so that I would have their picture, for reference. That was interesting beyond belief. Moreover, I downloaded threads on each of the locations that I planned on visiting. This, too, was invaluable in keeping me informed on location characteristics. Just before getting inside, I would pull out my phone and quickly scan the reviews - privately.

Roger
04-25-05, 21:49
I have a GSM phone which I use in Asia. It is not locked. I have bought SIM cards in Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, the phone works great.

Does anyone know if the same phone which works in Asia will work in Argentina (with the right SIM card of course)?

Information appreciated.

Jackpot
04-29-05, 01:17
If you want to learn about GSM cell phones, SIM cards, prices, and other
facts on what works where, check out this excellent web site:
www.telestial.com

Does any one have a BA source for cheap unlocked cell phones and sim
cards?

Please advise

El Aleman
04-29-05, 07:26
Roger,

some info, I hope not to be boring:

GSM phones work in 3 different frequency ranges, near 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz. 900 was the original European frequency, when GSM started, and 1800 came a bit later after the first band got congested. Most countries, like all of Europe, Asia and many others, when they introduced GSM service, just used this European standard.

Unfortunately, these frequencies have already been in use for other services in the U.S., so when the States started GSM, another frequency had to be used: 1900 MHz. Argentina is also using 1900, Brazil and Chile 900/1800.

So, if you just buy a "GSM cellphone" in any country, you will get one according to the local standard. The "Tri Band" units cover it all. A cellphone working in Asia will most likely be a 900/1800 MHz phone. If it also works in the U.S. it's a "Tri Band", and will work in Argentina.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

Roger
04-29-05, 20:14
Thanks for the information.

My phone is a Nokia 3315 dual band 900-1800 MHz phone, which I purchased in Thailand.

According to my understanding of your message, it will work with a local SIM card in Brazil, but not in Argentina. Right?

Thanks, looks like I'll be having to rent or purchase yet another phone (my US cell phone is Sprint, which isn't even GSM).

Roger,

some info, I hope not to be boring:

GSM phones work in 3 different frequency ranges, near 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz. 900 was the original European frequency, when GSM started, and 1800 came a bit later after the first band got congested. Most countries, like all of Europe, Asia and many others, when they introduced GSM service, just used this European standard.

Unfortunately, these frequencies have already been in use for other services in the U.S., so when the States started GSM, another frequency had to be used: 1900 MHz. Argentina is also using 1900, Brazil and Chile 900/1800.

So, if you just buy a "GSM cellphone" in any country, you will get one according to the local standard. The "Tri Band" units cover it all. A cellphone working in Asia will most likely be a 900/1800 MHz phone. If it also works in the U.S. it's a "Tri Band", and will work in Argentina.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

El Aleman
05-02-05, 08:58
Roger:

Exactly. Of course, it depends on how often you will be in Argentina. If if you will be there frequently, buy one in Argentina.

I bought me a Nokia from CTI Movil in March 2004, I think it was A$R 149,- and had 100 pesos airtime on it, so the phone itself was less than 20 U$S - worth it. The only thing is, You need a residential address in BA where they send you some papers after the purchase, but I think that might be arranged with Jackson or Capt. Dave.

This way, I have my "fuckphone" in BA and am still reachable by my office on my german (triband) phone, which works, however expensive due to intl. roaming, in Argentina.

Have fun,

El Alemán

Young & Restless
05-05-05, 12:08
Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me what the first few numbers that I would need to dial for calling a cell phone in BsAs? The number I am trying to call starts out like this (011) 1559XX-XXXX. This has to be missing some numbers, but that's how it was written down.

I never had any problems calling my hotel from the US by dialing 011 (54 11) 4321-0000 Shouldn't calling a cell phone in BsAs start out similar to that?

Thanks in advance,

Y & R

Sky Ryder
05-05-05, 13:07
Y & R

To dial a Argentine cell phone from the U.S. ( the 15 prefix is for cell phones in BsAs) dial 011-54-911- the last 8 digits of your number, you omit the 15. Hope this helps.

Sky Ryder
05-05-05, 13:10
Jackpot,

I have bought sim cards at Personal, the one on Cordoba. You can get a line to use with prepaid phone cards (Personal lite). As far as buying phones, I have found using Ebay is the best bet for unlocked phones.

Tbird
05-30-05, 03:21
Well, after a lot of clicking and cursing and refreshing and clicking again, I have been able to redeem my frequent flyer miles, and will be arriving in Buenos Aires on the wings of desire (er..make that United Airlines!) in the morning of March 25th. I know it is a long way off, but I am a nerd, and like to do things well in advance.

Now, I have a quad-band unlocked GSM phone (NEC 515), which a friend of mine used in Poland on the 900 band. Being a quad, getting on the correct frequency should be no problem. My question is: can ANYONE get service in Argentina? In Colombia I had to ask an amiga to go with me, because they required a Colombian cedula. A lengthy form with a photo had to be filled out.

I do not believe this has been covered in this esteemed forum. Info would be much appreciated.

El Aleman
05-30-05, 05:45
Tbird:

It is about the same.

When I bought my cellphone, I had to fill out some forms, and to provide them with an Argentinean residential address. This, however, was a friend's , and no problems so far.

It depends, how long you want to stay in BA. If it is only for a few days, think about maybe renting one from Jackson. buying your own (phone or SIM card) only makes sense if you will be in the country repeatedly.

have fun, and survive the next 10 months...

El Alemán

Hunt99
05-30-05, 11:51
Now, I have a quad-band unlocked GSM phone (NEC 515), which a friend of mine used in Poland on the 900 band. Being a quad, getting on the correct frequency should be no problem. My question is: can ANYONE get service in Argentina? In Colombia I had to ask an amiga to go with me, because they required a Colombian cedula. A lengthy form with a photo had to be filled out.

I do not believe this has been covered in this esteemed forum. Info would be much appreciated.

I have taken my old domestic US Nextel Motorola i2000 phone, and my current T-mobile V180, they work in Argentina fine - but only for incoming calls from the US/Europe. Calling domestically is expensive on the order of US2 a minute.

Tbird
05-31-05, 01:28
Just FYI.

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ar.shtml

Bullett
05-31-05, 07:26
I have a nokia 3022, nokia just came out with it, quad band it works everywhere. I am currently in Neuquen (the middle of nowhere). It works great.

Miami Bob
05-31-05, 17:20
YES, it does work! Thanks to all the good info on the site, I finally have solved my cell phone problems in BA. CTI Movil is selling sim cards, which they call chips. They can only to purchased at the Florida Y Paraguay location for 10 pesos with 10 pesos worth of time. The ground level lobby has an information line. They then have you wait. They verify that the chip works in your phone ie that it is unlocked. They sell you the chip after installation. I paid after the intallation at the cashier on level over the ground level.

The service did not start until 90 minutes after the install. I had to make a second visit because they failed to provide the free 10 pesos of time during the first visit.

Cti has nation wide service at no additional cost. i called Mendoza for the same price as ba. I also called Ruffino, a small city in southern Santa Fe Provice with no problem. My chica's Movistar phone has no service there. The guy i saw there had two phones: one for ba and a second for Ruffino.

The phone must be charged with additional time or you lose the number after 90 days. I put 50 pesos on the phone which i will lose if i don't charge the phone again for 60 days. They have a promotion where you get 80 peso of time for 50 pesos. 10 peso cards provide a cost of 1 peso per minute and 50 peso cards cost 62 centavos per minbute. This yields a per minute cost of about us$ 0.20 per minute to call anywhere in argnetina.

CTI's service is not as reliable as the non-gsm services that i have used before. cti has more dropped calls or connection failures than i am used to in ba. It still is within the range of reason. My chica uses Movistar. Cti has better service than Movistar in terms of reception and dropped calls.

WITHOUT SPEAKING SOME SPANISH I COULD NOT HAVE DONE THE CTI MOVIL SIM CARD PURCHASE AND ADJUSTMENT. NO ONE SPOKE ANY TYPE OF ENGLISH WITH ME. POSSIBLY MY SPANISH IS BETTER THAN THEIR ENGLISH. I WAS RATHER UPSET WHEN I HAD TO RETURN BECAUSE I DID NOT RECEIVE THE 10 PESOS CREDIT I WAS PROMISED AND A LITTLE ENGLISH SPEAKING CUSTOMER SERVICE WOULD HAVE MADE MY LIFE A LOT EASIER.

PHONERENTAL.COM is the best of the other rental services for low useage and no long distance. There is no rental fee. The time charges add up and they charge for in-coming calls. They speak enough english to do the job and deliver and pick-up. 10% discount for cash.

Bob

El Aleman
06-01-05, 08:26
I can confirm everything Bob writes writes, and want to add a thing or 2:

- If you are not really fluent in Spanish, get somebody to help you

- The cashier in the second floor of the CTI Móvil office Florida / Paraguay is the only place in town that sells A$R 50,- and A$R 100,- airtime cards, giving A$R 80,- and 160,- credit. The smaller ones (A$R 10 and 20) are available all over, for example at the FarmaCity pharmacies. Beware: When buying airtime at the cashier, you might get asked if you want a card or direct credit to your account. TAKE THE CARD (tarjeta), the direct credit does not work on prepaid accounts! (been there, done that).

- Service orientation must be a new concept to Argentine cellphone companies, and the fact that it is us, the customers, who finally pay their salaries has been communicated only to a minority of their employees. If things get difficult, they are always tempted to solve their problem by sending you into another line.

- I am in BA usually twice a year, around March .. May and September / October. The credit I had bought during my previous stay was always still available when I came back. One time, I think, the phone said that I had no more credit left, but after adding 20 pesos, the old credit reappeared.

Have fun,

El Alemán

Roger
06-20-05, 16:16
Thanks everyone for the information about GSM phones.

Information from this board says that I will need GSM 1900 MHz.

I have seen elsewhere that Argentina uses both 850 and 1900 MHz.

It makes a difference, whether I buy a tri-band (900. 1800, 1900) or a quad-band phone (considerably more expensive).

Anyone who knows, please let me know if 1900 MHz is sufficient for Argentina, or if I need both 850 and 1900.

(I will also be in Brazil, so I need 1800 for sure).

Hbk18
07-02-05, 18:10
My tri-band GSM Nokia 3100 worked for me during my February 2005 trip to Buenos Aires. You might consider "unlocking" you phone and purchasing a "local" pre-paid SIM card to avoid the roaming charges. Please see the first web link for more information. The second web link has additional GSM information.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/nokiaunlocking.htm

http://www.gsmworld.com/index.shtml

Hewy

Easy Go
08-16-05, 17:45
One thing to keep in mind is that while you can buy a local SIM for an unlocked GSM phone, the local cell companies are not the greatest in the world. I've bought two chips in BA from Personal Light and have problems with both of them despite two trips to the main office. One has 17 pesos on it but won't make outgoing calls while the other can call any number except a Nextel number. Also, a new chip takes 24 hours to activate.

I rented one time when I came down and, while more expensive, it was much less of a PITA.

Miami Bob
08-23-05, 15:52
If you only need to call a few minutes a day, the US$5 daily few is high. 70 centavos per minute is about the best you are going to do with a sim chip.

I am averaging with cti movil about 70 centavos per minute[cti's rates depend on the size of the card you buy eg.

10 peso cards are 1.00 peso per minute and the large cards, that are difficult to find outside of the downtown main office, are 62.5 centavos per minute.]

Cti does work well. In my situation I need to maintain the same number and I am going to the interior and calling the interior. The cti service does not work consistantly as well as my old rental phones worked. I rented from www.phonerental.com They are easy to deal with--they speak eglish and have an USA 1800 number. They will drop off and pick-up anywhere you like. Their service is loaded with extra charges. If you are doing 15 minutes per day, the billing can get crazy. US$80. + per week. Don't let their free rental programs fool you.

Surprises. If you have a problem, they will help you with a fast solution without forgetting how to speak english when you need help. The customer service at cti is horrible. I have had people at phonerental. Com speak to me in good english and the same guy will not be able to speak any english and will not be able to understand my spanish when I ask for an explanation of a secret hidden charge on my bill.

It is also a good idea if you enjoy and receive a benefit from this free website, to support the services of the people who.

Provide and maintain this site for free.

Bob

Easy Go
08-23-05, 21:41
MB,

Read my post again. I was actually suggesting renting a phone rather than thinking that buying a SIM was an easy answer. A local SIM is an easy answer in most other countries (I've done it in Thailand, Mexico, Belgium, and Brazil with zero problems) but the phone companies in Argentina don't have prepaid GSM sorted out completely.

Trust me when I tell you that Jackson has done OK by me.

Easy Go

Sportsman
09-10-05, 18:52
Last Saturday morning a bought a local SIM card for my unlocked GSM phone from the CTI store at the corner of Paraguay and Florida for 10 pesos with 10 peso airtime included. That store does not sell airtime card (Tarjeta de CTI) there so to top off I would have to go to a local store. An ID card / passport was needed to register the card to my name. I was told the SIM card must be topped off at least once every three months or the card will be useless from then on. But when I call for the credit remaining on the card, it mentioned the date one month from now, so I don't know if it will expire in one month or three months. Air time costs 70 centavos per minute for local calls – probably not a very good deal. The sales rep (whom BTW spoke decent English and cute) told me the card would be activated within 40 minutes to 1 hour. I got two text messages from CTI within one hour – one welcoming message and one with a password to view my account online. I thought everything was fine. Then when Stowe tried to call me and got a message saying my line was not registered. I could not make an outgoing call either. By then the CTI store is closed already and will not be opened on Sunday, so I had to wait until Monday morning to straighten it out.

First thing on Monday I went to the store, wouldn't you know it now the phone was working. However on Tuesday I left a message for Roxanna using my phone, she told me later when she tried to return my call and was told the phone line was not registered again. I have made calls and received calls later that day though. So I'm not sure what was going on. Well, at least the card only cost 10 pesos with 10 pesos airtime. I did not have to top off with anymore airtime and still have about 4 pesos of airtime when I left BsAs. I don't use the phone much and my stays are usually pretty short, this deal seems to be ok for me. If I were to use a phone more extensively, then renting a phone from Jackson would have been more economical since the airtime on his phones costs a lot less.

I hope this help and can provide an alternative for those have the kind of phone usage as me. Ana Luna told me the Movistar store across the street from that CTI store sells prepaid phone SIM card too. And it opens on Saturday afternoon and on Sunday too. A big plus if you run into problem over the weekend like I did. Does anyone know what kind of deals they provide?

El Aleman
09-12-05, 07:36
Sportsman,

What you experienced is normal for CTI. I bought a CTI phone 2 years ago, and it also took over a day until the card was turned on, but finally it worked.

Regarding "fill up every 3 months", at my experience, this is not true. It won't work any more after 3 months, but if you fill it up later, it is activated again, and even your old credit is back. At least it worked like that in March, if it is still so, I will find out Friday.

And: they DO sell airtime cards in the Florida / Paraguay store, in the 2nd floor. In fact, that is the only place known to me where you get the 50 and 100 peso cards.

El Aleman

El Aleman
11-01-05, 09:09
I use my CTI phone all the time to stay in touch with Germany, it is no problem - and appears to be not too expensive. I usually check my credit before and after an international call, and what goes down seems reasonable. I don't, however, know the exact rate.

As Silvina's phone also uses prepaid cards (which you have to buy yourself) it should be the same situation.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

Tbird
11-01-05, 14:58
It helps indeed. All I need to know is that international calls are not blocked. There would be so few that the cost is not material.

Sportsman
11-01-05, 22:35
It helps indeed. All I need to know is that international calls are not blocked. There would be so few that the cost is not material.When I bought my CTI sim card, the sales girl asked me if I was planning to make internaltional calls. May be you should remind the sales person that if she does not ask you.

Sportsman
11-01-05, 22:39
Again, in Colombia there had to be an initial minimum loaded on the account to make calls afuera de pais. I think it was almost 100,000 pesos. What is the situation in Argentina?The pre-paid sim card I got cost 10 pesos with 10 pesos credit built in. Recharging for more air time was up to me.

Amber Wrath
11-02-05, 11:26
The pre-paid sim card I got cost 10 pesos with 10 pesos credit built in. Recharging for more air time was up to me.My buddy purchased a phone recently in Beunos Aires for $35 usd and it was unlocked as he requested.

I Rented a cell phone for 2 weeks at a cost of $65 usd.

You figure.

Amber Wrath

Easy Go
11-03-05, 03:34
My buddy purchased a phone recently in Beunos Aires for $35 usd and it was unlocked as he requested.

I Rented a cell phone for 2 weeks at a cost of $65 usd.

You figure.

Amber WrathThe advantage of a rental is that you know that it works and it it doesn\'t, somebody cares. I\'ve had more than one problem getting service working with new SIMs (I\'ve gotten one on 4 different trips in BA. It took almost 24 hours before my last one (Personal) started working and even after 5 days, I couldn\'t receive calls from my Spanish teacher\'s cell phone (CTI) I spent at least four hours in three visits in the Personal office trying to get it fixed with only partial success.

I\'ve bought SIMs in Mexico, Thailand, Belgium, and Brazil without any problems so I\'m pretty sure that I\'m not the problem. I put up with the problems in BA because my cell not working isn\'t that big a problem for me.

Cadavez
11-22-05, 16:44
Can anybody teel me why I can't reach my chica on her celular en Bs As from abroad? In my case Europe but maybe the same problem exists from other parts of the world. We are sure that her celular works without problems but I can't reach her. She's living in Bs As and het celular number begins with 1551. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

Cadavez

Hunt99
11-22-05, 18:23
Can anybody teel me why I can't reach my chica on her celular en Bs As from abroad? In my case Europe but maybe the same problme exists from other parts of the world. We are sure that her celular works without problems but I can't reach her. She's living in Bs As and het celular number begins with 1551. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

CadavezIf her number (for example) is: 15 51XX XXXX.

Dial this sequence: +00 54 911 51XX XXXX.

I think that may help.

Surfer Pancho
11-26-05, 20:21
The proper way from the USA to call is as follows:

011-54-911-51-xx-xx-xx, I just tried it with the cell phone I had in Buenos Aires and it works.

MCSE
11-28-05, 05:29
The proper way from the USA to call is as follows:

011-54-911-51-xx-xx-xx, I just tried it with the cell phone I had in Buenos Aires and it works.Why the 011- at the begin?

You should start with the country code: +54

So, I guess, for my cellphone is +54-911-54-911-045

Locally my cell is 15-54-911-045

Maybe I've miss something but it should work this way

El Aleman
11-28-05, 09:35
The "+" stands for the international access code, which is/can be different in different countries. In the U. S. It is 011, in most Eurepean countries it is 00, but there are more versions around. Reasons lie in telephone systems history.

Today, all (as far as I know) cellphone systems recognize the "+" key as an intl. Prefix. From a land line, you have do dial your local version, so it is:

011 54 911 xxxx yyyy from the U. S.

00 54 911 xxxx yyyy from Germany (and lots of other EU countries)

+54 911 xxxx yyyy from a (GSM) cellphone word wide.

Hope that helps.

El Alemán

Hunt99
11-28-05, 12:22
Hi Hunt and Surfer Pancho:

Many thanks for your help! You're fantastic! It works.

CadavezDe nada. Pleased to help.

Cactus
12-07-05, 16:32
Can anyone tell me plaease, what numbers do you dial to get Canadfa? In Thailand all you have to do is dial the country code, Canada is 1 and the 7 diget #, same in Argentina?

Thanks.

Cactus

Thomaso276
12-07-05, 20:21
With all due respect to my Canadian friends.

Sorry Cactus, I do not speak Canadian, as written in your post.

"plaease" "Canadfa" "diget"

Or maybe too many beers, eh?

Sportsman
12-07-05, 23:45
Can anyone tell me plaease, what numbers do you dial to get Canadfa? In Thailand all you have to do is dial the country code, Canada is 1 and the 7 diget #, same in Argentina?

Thanks.

CactusTo make an international call, you have get to the international line first. That can vary depending where are you calling from. On all the cell phones I know of, international line is the sign "+", which is the number 0 and hold, then the country code which is "1" for US and Canada, and then the area code plus the local number. If you are calling from a hotel phone, the hotel operator can tell you how to get to the international line, then "1" and the 10 digit. I don't know about calling from a home land line in Argentina. In the US the international line is "011" and then country code, the city code, and local number.

Cactus
12-08-05, 00:35
Thanks Sportsman! My bad spelling is cause my wife has worn all of the letters off of the keyboard plus a little stupidity on my part.

Cactus

MCSE
12-08-05, 03:20
By default to get the international line in argentina is 00.

To call NY should be dialing 00-1-212-xxxxxxxx.

Most of times if you stay in an hotel, apartment, you'll be unable to get international line if you dial 00, it's more expensive and the phone company bills the calls after a month. So, the most common procedure it's buying a pre-paid calling card, like "tarjeta linea", if you use a pre-paid calling card you must dial the calling card access number then the code then you'll have line to call anywhere, so then you should dial 00-1-212-xxxxxxxx

Carpediem
01-25-06, 21:16
Hello All,

This is a bit off-topic - can somebody recommend a good company to unlock a phone (cingular motorola V551)? Quick google search tells me it's a zoo out there. If I give up and just decide to purchase a phone in Bs. As. which would work in other Argentine cities as well, any suggestion what's a good place to go?

Thanks

Mpexy
01-25-06, 22:05
I don't know if it's a good suggestion for you or anyone else, but I found it a good deal for me. Bought a Nokia in Buenos Aires from the CTI Movil store downtown central (edit Florida 902, corner of Florida and Paraguay) - cost $129 pesos for the phone plus $100 peso credit of pre-pago or pre-paid SIM card. So basically, for the cost of $29 pesos or less than $10 USD I got a phone, a pre-paid SIM card, and just skipped the hassle of making my own phone work down here.

I ended up paying $229 since I'll be here awhile so I could get pre-paid $200 pesos worth of credit. In almost a month, I've used up about $70 pesos and I've made a ton of calls.

I brought my own Blackberry which has world access but costs 2.99/ min on roaming so I also brought a spare Motorola that I figured I could get a pre-paid SIM card for. But after some trial and error and seeing it was locked when I went to a CTI Movil store in downtown Buenos Aires, I just figured for barely $10 USD it wasn't worth the trouble of trying to get it unlocked and just bought a Nokia phone. Now that I think on it, even if my US phone was unlocked for sure, for $10 one time cost, I think it's worth it to buy a local phone here unless you're literally in BA for just a few days, and even then, for $10 I'd still do it.

Not sure if it's a special or not but if it is they are always running it because that seemed to be about the standard all the time - a average phone for real cheap plus the SIM card pre-pago and $100 pesos worth of credit. The phone they gave as part of this package is an average Nokia, not super fancy but has all the normal cell functions plus text messaging, pre-set numbers for the local 911 and fire department with standard address book, logs, and a little function to text message CTI Movil which then spits back at you in 1-2 seconds a message telling you how much credit you have left on your pre-pago card.

Oh, and I had an ex-pat who lives here that is pretty good with the spanish thumb through my phone which first came all in spanish and he switched it to English so all the menus and stuff are easy to navigate, etc.

P.S. you can buy this packaged phone plus pre-pago card with what I understand is international access but I just skipped that and got the standard, which is all Argentina but no international outbound calls (although you can still get inbound calls from anywhere)

Strad
01-26-06, 02:34
I use a CTI sim card for my T-Mobile Razer when I'm in BA. There are CTI pre-paid phone cards can be purchased everywhere such at any news-stand, face value 15p and up. However, the average usage is 1.50p / min, at this rate, it really drains you credits fast! The good news is, it won't cost you, nor your air time when some body else is calling you up!

Living in Buenos Aires, everything I$ a great bargain; the payphone is 0.25 centavos, and the use of a computer in internet cafes cost basically nothing. However, to me, at $0.50c per / min CIT mobile rate is kinda steep.

My very first text messaging experience began when I was visiting in Buenos Aires! Soon after I found out it only costs 0.15 centavos per / TM, I started to send messages to chicas from time to time. TM works like a charm!

See you all soon in BA!

Strad

Mpexy
01-26-06, 05:23
My experience with pre-pago SIM card with the phone I also bought from CTI Movil is a lot different. Maybe stand alone SIM cards cost more in per-min usage charge then if you also buy the phone from a provider like I did?

I've been in and had the phone almost 1 month now in BA, and the $200 pesos pre-pago credit I had on it is now only down to about $125, which means I've only used $75 pesos worth and I've made out and recieved in a ton of calls.

My usage rate for outbound calls is nowhere near 1.5 pesos a min. I'm reading my CTI Movil pre-pago plan and receipt and it says right on here that I got something called a PPP50 Pre-Pago - Plano GSM and my rate for per min say $0.57. So my rate at least for this CTI Movil pre-pago phone plus SIM card is just over 1/2 peso per min or about 19 US cents per min which isn't great but also not bad either compared to US plans with overages in the 15 cents to 32 cent range.

Zappaman
02-03-06, 18:35
In the past few years, I have either just used my US Cell or I have rented "ready to go" cell phones. My US Phone always works fine but, of course, nobody in their right mind wants to dial a US Number when the receiver of the call is also "in country". The issue with me is that I am always only there for week, or two, at most.

After reading through this thread it seems that a good way to go, considering exchange rates, is to just go buy a cheap phone and SIM combo (like from CTI)

If so, it's not clear to me if it is a big pain in the ass to get that kind of combo activated right away, etc. It seems it can take a few days before the phone actually works, etc. - or am I wrong about that?

Thanks ahead for insight on this.

Zappaman

Mpexy
02-03-06, 19:33
I've only bought and activated a new phone with pre-pago SIM card one time, so I don't know if my experience was normal or not. But it wasn't a pain at all, and fairly quick to get activated.

It took about 1.5 hours for the phone to be fully functional. Which I just used to charge up the battery anyways. Technically, the phone was on their network and able to take calls well under an hour, but as the rep explained to me, it took longer to have the pre-pago SIM card registered into their system so I wasn't able to make outbound calls for about 1.5 hrs after I bought the phone.

El Perro
02-10-06, 10:36
I am gonna ditch my rental soon (from Phonerental-NOT recommended) and buy a phone. Some trusted locals advised I go with Personal as a provider. I'll be making only local calls (using Skype for calls to the US) This stuff ain't my strong point. Any direction from you cellphone whizzes would be appreciated. Much thanks.

The dog

Carpediem
02-21-06, 23:34
I got Nokia from CTI Movil, following pretty much the ideas kindly provided by Mpexy in his posts. The only difference is that I wasn't able to get such a good deal as he - I was told that the promotion ($129 bought you a phone and $100 peso credit) is gone, and now they give only $20 credit. Oh well. Perhaps they just didn't like me, don't know.

What is probably going to be a bit more expensive is that the rate I was quoted was $0.71 per minute for all calls in Argentina, and $0.91 for calls placed from the phone from outside of BsAs (roaming) Just in case, I asked to be able to call abroad as well, that is about 1.70$ per minute (domestic rate is independent of ability to call abroad) The other details are as posted previously, so I won't repeat them.

Hope this provides some useful info and will make it easier for others to decide what to do. Btw, I went to the main office at Florida and Paraguay (thanks Mpexy) The people I communicated with didn't speak any English.

Mpexy
02-27-06, 16:00
Couple more CTI Movil oriented things I learned today regarding when it's time to add more credits to your cell phone with pre-paid minutes SIM card.

First - "segundo piso" is on the third floor.

If you go to the Florida 902 CTI Movil store I recommended in my prior posts, the initial reception line tells you that to buy additional credits / minutes on a phone you already have their pre-pago SIM card for, just go up to the "segundo piso". So of course, newb that I am, I go up one floor from the main entry floor. No one would help me there as it was a normal floor of sales booths. Long story short, the floor you really need to go to is the third floor, one more level up as the main entry is the PB or ground floor.

Second - how to add more minutes to pre-pago SIM card.

If you do it the normal, and slower way, you can buy more minutes on a business card size card that you buy at lots of places. Like a lotto ticket, scratch off the back area which will reveal a set of numbers. You dial *444 on your phone, and it will ring an automated line that has you enter the coded numbers from the card you just bought, and after awhile it registers into their system to credit your pre-pago SIM card with that amount.

However, once I got to the right floor, turns out there is at least one very good english speaking girl at this store as she was called over when the normal sales girl didn't understand what I wanted as I made the mistake of refusing the card she was trying to sell me as I thought it was like a pre-paid calling card, not a credit for my SIM card in my cell. The english speaking girl cleared that up for me, then told me it's a lot faster to buy the card but have then enter the credit directly into their system, and she told me pretty honestly that lots of times if you buy the card and call *444 it can take several tries as the system sometimes hangs up, doesn't take your number, etc. She told me 30 min, but 5 min after she entered it in the system, I checked my phone balance via the check pre-paid minutes function and it was already updated.

Third - Argentine bureacracy seems to be working for me.

I had a balance of about 56pesos from my original 200pesos when I went in to add a 100peso credit. When it updated my balance, I showed a credit of $180pesos.

So I either got some kind of special promo again where buying 100pesos really got you 180, or I got lucky in some bureacracy mistake when they directly entered the credit.

Oh, and I made sure to ask whether my existing pre-pago plan of 57 centavos per minute would be changed due to me adding this credit and the english speaking girl told me no - that rate is set when you first buy your pre-pago SIM card and / or phone.

Jackpot
02-27-06, 21:49
I heard a rumor from a reliable local that CTI has a lower signal strength than Moviestar or Personal. I'v verfied this with a friend using a Personal phone. We checked signal strength in my building, and hers was getting signals where I could not. This difference is supposedly to give more competitive advantage to Personal & Moviestar.

Suggest you check this out. Hopefully, this can be verified by tests between the three providers and members reporting on this thread.

Next phone upgrade will be to Personal.

Jackpot

Mpexy
02-27-06, 22:25
Don't know about signal strength but every local I know also keeps saying Personal is their choice.

But as far as my experience with CTI Movil, I've never had any connectivity or performance issues - other than one single location which oddly enough is El Alamo. Back into the restaurant past the first bar end, and I lose almost all signal.

El Perro
02-27-06, 22:49
I heard the same criticism of CTI by a local computer wizard who set me up when I got to BA. He strongly recommended Personal.

El Aleman
02-28-06, 07:51
Mpexy,

If you buy credit to your cell phone, you always get some extra, which is in fact a quantity discount. On a 10 peso card, you get 13 pesos worth of airtime, 30% , on a 100 peso you get 160 peso airtime - 60% on top.

Signal strength: I experienced the same when I bought my CTI phone 2 years ago, I had no reception in the apartment while a chica was chatting, but that seems to have improved significantly. Seems they have set up more base stations.

CTI Movil at that time was the only company willing to sell a phone to foreigners. I asked them all. This might have changed since then.

El Alemán

Stowe
03-02-06, 02:46
After reading the last few posts, I realize this probably isn't the place to post this query but since Personal seems to have the best clarity, I was thinking that I could buy a cell phone at CTI and get a Personal SIM card for their better service?

Will that work? If so, does anyone know where to buy a Personal SIM card?

Suerte,

Stowe.

And now we can return to our regular scheduled posting of personal attacks in the cell phone section:-)

El Aleman
03-02-06, 08:33
Stowe,

While I am not sure, I doubt this will work. Very often, cheap phones sold with prepaid SIM cards are "locked" to work only with cards of that provider to avoid exactly that - buying (and cashing in the subsidy on purchase price which the provider hopes to get back through airtime) from one provider and then switching to another.

Argentina uses the same GSM frequencies as the U.S. (1900 MHz) So, if you can get a cheap used, not locked cellphone in the States, this will work with any SIM card you buy in Argentina. Maybe you ore some of your friends has an old one sitting around.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

MoonDog
03-02-06, 10:07
After reading the last few posts, I realize this probably isn't the place to post this query but since Personal seems to have the best clarity, I was thinking that I could buy a cell phone at CTI and get a Personal SIM card for their better service?

Suerte,

Stowe.

And now we can return to our regular scheduled posting of personal attacks in the cell phone section:-)Stowe,

El Aleman is correct. Get an unlocked GSM phone, and you can get a local SIM card in any country that you travel. Do a Google search for unlocked GSM phones for your next visit, then you can take it with you to any country and it will work fine with a local SIM card.

You can get a SIM card from Personal from their main office on Corrientes and Florida. As you are walking away from Cordoba, when you reach Corrientes, look to your left, and it will be on the right hand side of the street. Bring your passport and have a local address for them, and ask for someone who speaks English if you need it. Set it up so that you pay with pre-paid phone cards, and can recieve voice mail. Once that is done, you can purchase the pre-paid cards usually at any magazine stand. The credits are good for 90 days, and the card good for six months. After that, you might have to get a new SIM card or have the old one re-activated.

When you run out of credits, you can still recieve calls, but sometimes not. Also you have to have credits available to receive voice mail. If you have credits available, you can call any country with the phone by holding down the number 0 until it turns into a plus sign, then dial the country code, city code, and number.

Moondog

Flexible Horn
03-02-06, 14:44

Suerte,

Stowe.

And now we can return to our regular scheduled posting of personal attacks in the cell phone section:-)Another place which is usually empty (no cue) is Personal on the corner of Florida / Lavalle.

I have hired phones in the past here in BsAs, this trip I brought with me an unlocked GSM phone, bought a sim card from the above for 30 pesos and 30 Min's later was making calls.

El Aleman
03-02-06, 14:49
Doggboy,

To add one thing: Only Argentina uses the same frequencies as the States. Brazil and some other South American countries use the European bands (900 and 1800 MHz), so there you would need a triband phone.

El Alemán

Ampfofu
03-02-06, 18:18
I am not a seasoned vet when it comes to cell phones in Argentina, but my last trip I simply bought a prepaid cell phone, then whenever the min ran low I just bought more. Now I am back in the states, I have some good friends in Argentina that I let use the phone until next time I get back to Argentina. This might not be the best way to do it, but for me it is the most convenient way.

Stowe
03-03-06, 02:31
Hey El Aleman and Moondog,

Thanks for providing the information. It is great info and I realy appreciate it.

Not going to be there for about 4 weeks so I have so time.

Again thanks.

Suerte,

Stowe

PS. I speak a little spanish-probaby enough to get by. The only problem is the delay with the activation of the SIM card. Sounds like it can take a couple of days.

Tbird
03-03-06, 04:14
And, to add one thing: Only Argentina uses the same frequencies as the States. Brazil and some other South American countries use the European bands (900 and 1800 MHz) so there you would need a triband phone.

El AlemánThis is not very important, but this is not entirely correct. Colombia is on exactly the same 850/1900 frequency, as are Ecuador, Peru and Paraguay. Venezuela is 900 Mhz, as is Brazil (but they also have the 1800 band)

www.gsmworld.com/roaming

Cactus
03-03-06, 17:59
Stowe.

I owned an unlocked GSM phone when I went to BA. A good new Siemens A70 which I bought for $ 70.00 Canadian on E bay.

I went to the Personel Store on Florida on the corner about 2 blocks in, you have to go up a spiral staircase, they sold me a SIM card and activated it within 5 minutes, 45 pesos with 60 minutes air time, I think.

It was real handy for local calling but outragiously expensive for calls back to Canada. My big phone problem was, I know no Spanish, so when I got options or an answering machine I was screwed. Used the same phone in Thailand, call to Canada for 20 minutes about $ 4.00. Hope this helps!

Cactus

Easy Go
03-04-06, 03:39
El Aleman, Moondog, Cactus,

Thanks for the info. I assume that with a completely new SIM card comes a new phone number so the only way to keep the same number is to keep the card charged-correct? Until late next year, my trips to BA will be 6 months apart.

I will be in BA in early April. If any of you are there, I would be happy to buy you some drinks as a thank you.

Suerte,

StoweThe credits expire 1 month after you add them. But you have 7 months before the SIM expires and, if you add credits before expiration, you get your expired credits back. Buy an extra recharge card before you leave and charge your phone as soon as you arrive at the airport. However, it might (or might not) take an hour or so before your phone starts to work. It never seems to work the same way twice for me.

Also, if you run out of credits, there can be a delay before a recharge takes effect so try to avoid running out.

The cost of calls varies depending on the size of the recharge card so avoid the $AR10 card. Prime time calls (0800-2200, M-F) are 25% cheaper on the $AR20 card and about 33% cheaper on the $AR100 card.

I've never used mine for an international call (I think international calling needs to be activated by customer service) I use Skype or Gizmo Project from my notebook instead as calls using those programs are dirt cheap ($US0.01/ minute for calls to the US on Gizmo Project) If I have to make an international call when I'm out, I go to a locutorio (there's pretty much one on every block)

Mpexy
03-04-06, 05:04
The credits expire 1 month after you add them.For my pre-pago SIM card that I got from CTI Movil, the credits expire 2 months after your last top-up.

I had a balance of about 56 pesos when I went in to buy 100 pesos more and my expiration was set in late Feb. Which was 2 months from when I initially got the phone, and after the additional credit top-up, my new expiration date is late April, or another 2 months from date of topping up.

Stowe
03-04-06, 20:17
I appreciate the information. I think I have all the info I need.

Sounds like the only difficulty will be getting an local address to have them send the paperwork to. One situation at a time.

Suerte,

Stowe

Mpexy
03-04-06, 21:04
You don't need a local address if you go with CTI Movil.

Sportsman
03-04-06, 22:03
I don't quite remember about needing a local address when I got my SIM card from CTI on Paraguay and Florida. If I did I must have given them my hotel address.

They did ask for my passport. I did not have it with me at the time and I just gave them the driving license and that was good enough.

Team Stream
03-06-06, 23:54
The credits are good for 90 days, and the card good for six months. After that, you might have to get a new SIM card or have the old one re-activated. To MoonDog or any other knowledgable member,

If I need to "reactivate" my sim card that I haven't used in 6 months, is it going to cost money to reactivate? Or is it simply going to the main office and having them reactivate it / buy some more recharge credits?

Thank you in advance.

Easy Go
03-07-06, 01:21
My information was for Personal Light and comes from their web site. Each carrier has its own policy which it may or may not follow closely.

I didn't see anything on the web site about being able to reactivate the card by going to the main office.

MoonDog
03-07-06, 13:10
To MoonDog or any other knowledgable member,

If I need to "reactivate" my sim card that I haven't used in 6 months, is it going to cost money to reactivate? Or is it simply going to the main office and having them reactivate it / buy some more recharge credits?

Thank you in advance.I think you will have to go to the main office, but I'm not exactly sure.

Moondog

Rock Harders
03-28-06, 18:24
Mongers-

I am coming back to Buenos Aires in a week, more or less permanently, and I want to get my Kyocera KX2 phone hooked up here. I called up Kyocera, and they told me they do business in Argentina and the phone should work. The phone is CDMA based with Verizon service in the USA, and will not work on roaming in Argentina because Verizon has no roaming agreement with any Argentine provider. All the talk about phones in this thread has been about GSM servers, but reliable sources tell me that the CDMA network is more reliable in Argentina, plus I want to keep my phone. I used PhoneRental for the 6 months I previously lived in Argentina and although it was a poor value, the service was good. Any experiences, recommendations on this would be appreciated.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Jeff Akers
03-28-06, 20:32
My tri-band GSM Nokia 3100 worked for me during my February 2005 trip to Buenos Aires. You might consider "unlocking" you phone and purchasing a "local" pre-paid SIM card to avoid the roaming charges. Please see the first web link for more information. The second web link has additional GSM information.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/nokiaunlocking.htm

http://www.gsmworld.com/index.shtml

HewyHi,

I never had a chance to respond to Hewy's post and link for The Travel Insider. I had a Sony Ericsson T-226 cell, I had bought cheap and had used the same model last year in Colombia and it worked great (I slipped out of my pocket in a Taxi and was gone. So after seeing this post I thought it would be a great chance to unlock it for my next trip. I sent the PayPal payment and I even took advantage of there offer for a SIM holder, which I thought would be great, as I travel to multiple countries often. I followed the intructions they have and received a confirmation for receiving the Cell Phone and the return reciept. On the return e-mail it stated the SIM holders are back ordered and I would receive it as soon as they were back in stock. I received the phone as promised, from the e-mail. But it was DOA, it would not power on and would take a charge. I tried every troubleshooting method and e-mailed TTI. I received an e-mail asking for more information, PayPal info etc. I never got really angry, as it wasn't like it was a brand new phone, but it was in excellent shape and I had used it with no problems here for several months. I then asked since I had lost confidence in there service could I please receive a refund for at least the extra I paid for the SIM card holder, since they were back-ordered and never received it. I never received another response or my SIM card holder. I do not know if Hewy the original poster had used this company with success, I just wanted everyone to know I don't agree with the way they do business, and to be aware if you choose to use them.

Rock Harders
04-11-06, 01:16
Mongers-

Last Thursday, I went to the main offices of Movistar, Personal, and CTI down on Corrientes and its vicinity. Movistar said that they would not hook up my phone without the "factura", the receipt of original purchase. Of course, I did not bring the receipt with me, the phone was bought over a year ago. So after trips to Personal and CTI, with no success (they claim their networks do not have the technology to use my phone) I returned to Movistar and agreed to just buy a GSM phone, they had Motorolla Razrs, so I said what the hell. Then, they tell me their network is down, and I can come back tomorrow and buy a phone. I leave and on my way back to CTI, I stop at an electronics store on Florida and they inform me that I can only get a prepaid phone, because as a non-resident I cannot sign a contract, and the best part, all the prepaid phones are pieces of shit. So, I buy a shitty motorola (with 50 pesos of credit free) for $100AR, and off I go.

Also, I noticed that my Verizon service DOES work here, with full reception and capabilities, it is just roaming and thus expensive.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Moore
04-11-06, 03:06
DNI, CUIT/L and recent utility bill required (exactly the same for opening a bank acct) to get regular cell phone/plan here. With Movistar at least. 70 pesos/month including 250 "free" nationwide minutes/mo.

Alan23
05-09-06, 23:39
Has anyone experienced problems sending text messages from your T-Mobile phone (USA) to Movistar phone numbers in BA?

After limited research, I have not been able to narrow this down - as I do not know the service provider of my other chica friends.

Thanks

CO2
05-20-06, 16:52
My apartment that I rented came with a cell phone but no time left on it. Can someone give me intructions on how to reload this thing? I know that I can get a card from a local store or kiosko but the instructions are in spanish and a bit too fast for me. After I buy the card, I scratch the number off and then what? Thanks in advance.

Exon123
05-20-06, 20:20
Buy your card and then You go down to Excedra buy a Chica a coffee or a coke and have her do it for you.

Exon

Punter 127
05-21-06, 13:15
Buy your card and then You go down to Excedra buy a Chica a coffee or a coke and have her do it for you.

ExonI did that very thing last night, then I also rented the chica. Eat your heart out Exon!

CO2
05-21-06, 13:27
Damn, that's a great idea, I wish I had done that. Instead, I asked some elderly lady with poor vision working at locatorio to do it. There were a lot of of pissed off people behind me in line.

Sportsman
05-22-06, 00:12
Few times after I bought the CTI card, the phone-in system was not working. I even took it to the CTI store and asked the front ask receiptionist to phone it in for me but still no joy. Instead they took the card and recharged it off-line. Five minutes later the credit appeared. Since then I only buy the card on the second piso of the CTI store on Paraguay and Florida during office hours and asked them to recharge it for me at the ground floor reception.

Slugfest
05-30-06, 22:10
Ok, I went to a locutorio which advertised "venda de chips" today. I have a GSM unlocked cell phone from the US which I showed to the fucktard sales douchebag. He installed the card and then started babbling as fast as humanly possible in caste-ZHano, ignoring my pleas to slow down (there was absolutlely no one waiting behind me) A friend who speaks better Spanish then I was with me and also understood nothing. When the dude finally slowed down, we gathered that he said I had to call a number on a flyer he gave us tonight (why, I have no idea) and that I absolutely could not buy a pre-paid cellular card today. I would have to wait until tomorrow. When I tried to ask what would happen if I bought it today (I don't quite have perfect command of the subjunctive mood) I couldn't really understand his answer. He then gave me the rest of the card, a short "manual" and said "listo." He didn't say "get the fuck out of here" or "vete, pendejo," but probably wanted to.

Here's the deal. When I left the store, the phone read "Movistar." I didn't try to make any calls since I had no pre-paid time, no account (as far as I knew) and I then realized I didn't have the slightest idea what my number was.

I called the number on the flyer tonight, and the guy just told me my phone number. The phone now reads "SIM error."

What's going on? Will following the directions on a card which must be purchased tomorrow (not today! Solve the problem?

Thanks

Hojo
05-30-06, 23:03
. I stop at an electronics store on Florida and they inform me that I can only get a prepaid phone, because as a non-resident I cannot sign a contract, and the best part, all the prepaid phones are pieces of shit. So, I buy a shitty motorola (with 50 pesos of credit free) for $100AR, and off I go. Can someone please tell me how to say "I want to buy a prepaid phone and phone card" in spanish?

If you write it for me, I can show him the message.

Pop till you drop,

Hojo

Rock Harders
05-30-06, 23:13
Hojo-

Tell the sales associate "Quiero a comprar un telefono celular prepagado". All the prepaid phones come with some amount of credit included in the purchase price, and the sales associate will set the phone up, activate it, and install the initial credit that comes with the phone. When you run out of credit, stop at a kiosko, and ask "Tenes tarjetas celulares". The kiosko guy will ask you how much credit you want, and from my experience, the kioskos generally sell $10 and $20 pesos phone cards. There are instructions on the back of the cards that explain how to add the credit to your phone, naturally they are in castellano and the recorded message system that you deal with to install the credit is only in castellano as well.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Moore
06-19-06, 21:50
This subject may have been covered but I can't find where.

I need to buy a US cell phone and I would like for it to work overseas as well. Everyone tells me to use Verizon (they seem to be in every shopping center) but I asked a sales rep about it and he said that since their phones use CDMA, they rarely work overseas. Shit even my happy meal Argentine phone works overseas, in USA at least. Its a cheap Motorola from Movistar but I guess it has GSM? No idea.

I had a T-Mobile phone issued by an employer a few years back and it worked everywhere I went, which was many countries/continents. It was a basic model with no color/camera and sometimes I had to change the band(?) on the menu options upon arriving to a new country, but it never failed anywhere I went.

What should I buy in USA then? The phone will be used mostly in USA, but it's very convenient sometimes to have a phone that works internationally, if just to make a single life-saving 2 minute call from a Budapest backalley.

Thanks for your advice,

Moore

Rock Harders
06-19-06, 22:17
Moore-

Verizon is the best phone service for use within the USA, however, CDMA networks are limited outside of the Western Hemisphere and Japan. I have my Verizon phone here in Buenos Aires and it does work here on roaming because Movistar has a CDMA network here that it can utilize. CDMA phones are superior in data transfering capabilities to any GSM phone, however just about every country worldwide (with the possible exception of Japan, which uses a CDMA technology far more advanced than the Verizon Qualcomm tech) uses a GSM network, so if you get Cingular in the USA, it should work essentially worldwide, and if you unlock it you can get a SIM card with a local number just about anywhere in the world.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Moore
06-19-06, 22:44
Thanks for the reply - the sales rep was also telling me about the superiority of CDMA technology and, as I mentioned, everyone has told me that Verizon is the best US provider. If I go with a Cingular GSM phone, what do I forfeit by using inferior technology? Is the connection not as clear? The (probably) GSM cheapshit phone I have from Argentina is clear as a bell, sometimes people I called overseas would even comment on the "next door" clarity.

Easy Go
06-20-06, 01:50
"Superior" technology is debatable. All the USA services work well some of the time and work poorly some of the time. It theory, with digital, it either works or it doesn't but I think everybody experiences call quality problems at some point. There are just too many variables for there to be a single best choice. Kind of like boliches in BA.

If your primary interest is making phone calls, coverage is the #1 issue in the USA. Find the service that works best in the areas where you need it to work and buy that. Everybody tends to have decent coverage in the big cities but in the sticks, Verizon tends to be best (which is not the same as always working)

If you get a GSM service (Cingular and T-Mobile) your phone will be locked so you'll need to find someone to unlock it. It's usually not hard to do but takes a bit of investigation. If you want to use it when roaming, make sure you get a quad-band phone so that all the frequencies are covered.

My personal view is to make the best choice for the USA and buy a cheap GSM phone for use with a local SIM when traveling. That way you won't be sad when it gets stolen or lost. The cheapest way to get one is to buy a used phone in a place like Thailand or via E-Bay in the USA.

International roaming charges are a nightmare. It's easy to run up a $500 bill on a short trip.

Moore
06-20-06, 03:49
My personal view is to make the best choice for the USA and buy a cheap GSM phone for use with a local SIM when traveling. That way you won't be sad when it gets stolen or lost.You're probably right in almost all cases. But sometimes it's nice to be able to make a crucial call from an unknown country before you even have a chance to get a local SIM or local rental phone. Like you arrive very late on an improvised flight into the Rio airport and a two minute (albeit 10 dollar) call to your hotel transport desk is a life saver. Happened my first time there - no one was waiting for me, don't speak the language, taxi line had gone, etc.

Mpexy
07-12-06, 15:59
First service that has a decent plan is from Personal - unfortunately, no matter how many years of service I was willing to offer to pre-pay or have them charge on my credit card right now, no DNI - no service of any kind that requires a contract and all Blackberry plans require contract according to the Personal rep I talked to at their store in Retiro.

The rate was $AR 99 per month for the Blackberry service - unlimited emails and bandwidth. On top of that, a separate 41p per month charge for 100 minutes talk-time, but text messages at 15 centavos each. Or a 49p plan for 100 minute plus 100 text messages included. Required 1yr contract to start. Cost of buying a Blackberry 7290 was around $610, with tax and everything else about $650 US.

No DNI on my part, so for now, I'm still local-Blackberry less and forced to use my USA one on world access roaming.

Moviestar has ads showing Blackberry but the one store I walked into didn't have any idea about that and referred me to another main HQ store which I haven't visited yet.

Rock Harders
07-12-06, 20:05
Mongers,

Could someone in possession of a Movistar GSM cellular phone please post what number is programmed into their phone to check their voicemail. I recently got a new phone from the USA and put my SIM card in the new phone, and the voicemail number did not carry over, I need to program it into the new phone. The number should be *followed by several numbers.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

MCSE
07-13-06, 18:06
Dial 555, by default password is 1234 for any cellphone

WhiteCat
07-18-06, 20:50
I was there a few yrs ago and got a phone. I don't remember the details. What is the absolute easiest way to get a phone for a week? I do alot of Clarin so I make many calls. I'm looking for a quick setup. Last time a guy met me at Art Suites and brought it over. All help appreciated.

Gg

Waterboy
07-18-06, 21:57
[QUOTE=WhiteCat]I was there a few yrs ago and got a phone. I don't remember the details. What is the absolute easiest way to get a phone for a week? I do alot of Clarin so I make many calls. I'm looking for a quick setup. Last time a guy met me at Art Suites and brought it over. All help appreciated.

I think you are better off buying a phone and buying the phone cards for it. I bought a phone from Citi movil for 110ps it came with a twenty peso credit.

Rock Harders
07-18-06, 23:46
Whitecat-

If you are going to go with the buying a phone route, I recommend buying a movistar phone which you can get for $99 AR including $50 AR of phone credit. Movistar is the best service in Argentina, sort of like the Verizon of Argentina. I know several people who use CTI and they all assure me that it totally SUCKS. Personal is better than CTI but still inferior to Movistar.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Capt Dave
07-19-06, 12:24
Although I do recommend having a cell phone (I agree with Dirk that it is worth buying a prepaid rather then rental, especially if you are planning on coming back) keep in mind that most Clarin ads will not send anyone on a "date" if they cannot verify your address by calling back a listed land-line number, preferably listed in your name.

This can be a problem in a hotel with no phone in the room, or in an apartment, because frequently apartment phones are blocked from calling cell phones (due to the surcharges on calls to cell phones)

You can ask in advance if you can call cell phones from an apartment you are planning on renting, but be prepared to be unpleasantly surprised when they say yes but it turns out to be no. In fact, many apartments which say they have a phone, although technically true, in real life have the service turned off and can't be activated in the time you have available on a week or two vacation, especially if you don't speak enough Spanish to do it yourself!

Since most of those Clain ads are for Privados, it may be worth the trouble to call, get the address and go visit the place. This will also let you pick your date, rather then taking pot luck!

If you do buy a phone, don't overcharge it with credits, as they expire after a month or so, and try to carry an extra 10 peso card with you, as running out of credits is a pain, and frequently (esp. At night) buying a card can be tough.

Movistar may arguably be the "best" service, but Personal is cheaper. This is hard to quantify, because per minute rates are figured in some cryptic Argentine way so it appears impossible to calculate the exact cost, but 10 pesos of Personal credit lasts longer then Movistar. This may be due in part to the fact that it costs less to call someone on "your" network then a different one, and most chicas seem to use Personal.

However, Movistar is the only service which will sell you a phone without a DNI, although used-phone stores will sell you a prepaid phone for any given network they have in stock.

Just my 2 centavos!

David

==============================================

Greetings everyone,

Let me append Dave's comments by adding that the land-line telephones at my apartment and at Capt Dave's Mansion are not restricted and thus may be used to call cellphones.

Thanks,

Jackson

Stormy
07-19-06, 16:17
[QUOTE=Capt Dave]However, Movistar is the only service which will sell you a phone without a DNI, although used-phone stores will sell you a prepaid phone for any given network they have in stock.

I have bought two cell phones from Personal without any problem of DNI?

Dickhead
07-19-06, 16:41
Get Peter Coors to buy your cell phone for you. He just got a DNI. Oh wait a minute, that was a DUI.

Rock Harders
07-19-06, 19:02
Mongers-

The way it works with Movistar prepaid phone cards is that the more credit you buy, the more value you get for your money. For example, if you buy a $20 card you get a better rate on minutes than if you buy the $10 card. Plus with the $20 card you are given an allottment of text messages free of charge. If you buy the $50 card (harder to find at kioskos) you get an even better rate (essentially the same one, minute per minute, that a person using the $50 per month contract would get) All of this information was obtained by simply reading the back of the phone cards and by listening to the automated Movistar system.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Jackpot
09-08-06, 22:34
Please, can anyone recommend a shop where cheap cell phones are for sale along with a Moviestar chip?

Thanks,

Jackpot

Moore
09-08-06, 23:27
I believe this has already been covered.

I think you can go to the main Movistar office on Corrientes 645. Without a DNI you can only get a prepaid phone IIRC. They also have branches throughout Capital, including at least one on Santa Fe in Barrio Norte.

Check out their site at http://www.movistar.com.ar/.

Alan23
10-02-06, 21:38
For all the CTI users beware of a recent change in their credit balance carry-over policy. Until recently, if you had a credit balance - it would remain in place even if you only recharged after the air time window expired. NOT anymore, recharge before the expiration or lose it - I learned the hard way.

Would be interested what Movistar and Personal are currently doing on this same front - if some others could provide feedback. When the CTI messaging system was down for most of this weekend, I failed to recharge before expiration - losing all my credit. The CTI response: "Sorry - but that is the way it is"!

Alan

El Aleman
10-03-06, 02:21
Unfortunately, I experienced the same. CTI got less user friendly in several ways. First, about a year ago, they started to enforce the half year rule (after 7 months, I think it's 6 plus the running, of not using your phone your SIM card and with that your number expires) and now that.

In fact, that's nothing more than a hidden price increase.

Another thing, these days it was incredibly difficult to credit one's accoun t. 9 out of 10 times instead of accepting the "tarjeta's" code, I heard nothing or a mesage that they would be unable to process my request at the time. Also, the main office at Florida / Paraguay declared to be unable to sell me 50 or 100 peso cards due to "computer problems".

In short, presently CTI sucks.

El Alemán

El Greco
10-04-06, 13:00
Would be interested what Movistar and Personal are currently doing on this same front - if some others could provide feedback. When the CTI messaging system was down for most of this weekend, I failed to recharge before expiration - losing all my credit. The CTI response: "Sorry - but that is the way it is"!

AlanSame happened to me yesterday with Personal. They told me something about 8 month validity. Will get a new one today for 5 pesos as they said.

Credit is lost. I am used to it from Brasil. I was so fed up that I let them expire now and I'm getting a new number every trip.

El Greco
10-04-06, 13:05
This subject may have been covered but I can't find where.

I need to buy a US cell phone and I would like for it to work overseas as well. Everyone tells me to use Verizon (they seem to be in every shopping center) but I asked a sales rep about it and he said that since their phones use CDMA, they rarely work overseas. Shit even my happy meal Argentine phone works overseas, in USA at least. Its a cheap Motorola from Movistar but I guess it has GSM? No idea.

I had a T-Mobile phone issued by an employer a few years back and it worked everywhere I went, which was many countries / continents. It was a basic model with no color / camera and sometimes I had to change the band (on the menu options upon arriving to a new country, but it never failed anywhere I went.

What should I buy in USA then? The phone will be used mostly in USA, but it's very convenient sometimes to have a phone that works internationally, if just to make a single life-saving 2 minute call from a Budapest backalley.

Thanks for your advice,

MooreGet any motorola quad band gsm phone. Bands are 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHZ.

They are functioning, under gsm, every where in the world.

Snap Man
11-04-06, 15:39
I am going to BA in about a month and I want to have a cell phone. Should I buy the phone and sim card in the U. S. Or should I wait until I get to BA?

I will be in BA for about 20 days

El Greco
11-04-06, 20:22
I am going to BA in about a month and I want to have a cell phone. Should I buy the phone and sim card in the U. S. Or should I wait until I get to BA?

I will be in BA for about 20 daysYou can get a cheap 80-100 pesos gsm phone in Buenos with some airtime included.

Most phone companies sell blocked cell phones meaning you can only use their gsm cards. You can always unblock it somewhere else at a small cost.

Triband or even quad band means that you can use them elsewhere around the world. Allways unblocked of course if you have to use local companies gsm chip.

If you so wish get a tri or quad motorolla phone at the states and get a gsm card in Buenos.

Band mostly used in Argentina, if not mistaken, is 850Mhz secondary is 1900Mhz.

In Europe 1200 or 1800Mhz.

El Greco

Snap Man
11-04-06, 20:29
You can get a cheap 80-100 pesos gsm phone in Buenos with some airtime included.

Most phone companies sell blocked cell phones meaning you can only use their gsm cards. You can always unblock it somewhere else at a small cost.

Triband or even quad band means that you can use them elsewhere around the world. Allways unblocked of course if you have to use local companies gsm chip.

If you so wish get a tri or quad motorolla phone at the states and get a gsm card in Buenos.

Band mostly used in Argentina, if not mistaken, is 850Mhz secondary is 1900Mhz.

In Europe 1200 or 1800Mhz.

El GrecoThanks EL Greco. Any recomendations on where I should get the phone and airtime in BA? Do they sell them unlocked?

I read that some people have problems getting a phone because they are not from BA

El Greco
11-05-06, 01:31
Thanks EL Greco. Any recomendations on where I should get the phone and airtime in BA? Do they sell them unlocked?

I read that some people have problems getting a phone because they are not from BAAlmost everywhere. Try Florida street for a start. You wiil need a copy of your passport.

You only have to choose which company you want to use and then buy from them.

Same people might unblock it for you for a small fee of 20-30 pesos but you don't need to do it if it is a mono band or if you are only to use it in Argentina.

Check their web sites for models and prices. Eg Personal.

http://www.personal.com.ar/personas/telefonos/equipos.htm?mark=8&mod=1

This is a color model. No color ones are cheaper.

El Greco

Count Chocula
11-10-06, 11:16
I was wandering around Santa Fe near Plaza Italia looking for a SIM for Personal (they call it a chip here) Asked in a locutorio and a fellow there lead me to a coffee shop nearby where the manager sold chips. While I was waiting for him to enable the chip, I ordered some chicken and salad to take away and commented how great it to get chip and food at the same time. He smilingly agreed that he offered "servisio completo"! Didn't ask him to bend over - only a 1. The total tab for both came to 23 pesos - I think it was 15 & 8. The phone didn't send or receive until I charged it but then worked fine. And I had to call him back to get the number.

Count

Snap Man
11-10-06, 22:41
I was wandering around Santa Fe near Plaza Italia looking for a SIM for Personal (they call it a chip here) Asked in a locutorio and a fellow there lead me to a coffee shop nearby where the manager sold chips. While I was waiting for him to enable the chip, I ordered some chicken and salad to take away and commented how great it to get chip and food at the same time. He smilingly agreed that he offered "servisio completo"! Didn't ask him to bend over - only a 1. The total tab for both came to 23 pesos - I think it was 15 & 8. The phone didn't send or receive until I charged it but then worked fine. And I had to call him back to get the number.

CountHi Count,

So what did you get for the 15 pesos (how many min's) Did you get the phone in BA? Do they sell phones too?

El Greco
11-11-06, 02:42
Hi Count,

So what did you get for the 15 pesos (how many min's) Did you get the phone in BA? Do they sell phones too?Jesus man! If they don't sell phones why someone should buy airtime? How the hell argentinos are talking to each other? With drums? Or maybe smoke?

For god's shake let us be reasonable and do some reading before you ask.

El Greco

Zidaho
11-11-06, 06:25
That's funny Greco! Smoke and drums.

I am going to call my Verizon rep. Though they are generally not very helpful at the 800# level, the local reps generally want to understand what I am trying to understand.

I bought a fancy $200 quad band phone camera, etc. Through eBay last year. Stuck in a side (web material) pocket of my back pack and went walking through Old town Cartegena, Colombia. I think I could have possibly made it easier by just wearing a sign in Spanish with an arrow pointing at it that said, "free phone in this pocket, please reach in and take"!

And that was just after I had loaded it with a sim card and lot's of minutes. I was mad as hell about that for a few days, when I got to Medellin I finally broke down and bought another phone (cheap one).

Snap Man
11-11-06, 10:20
Jesus man! If they don't sell phones why someone should buy airtime? How the hell argentinos are talking to each other? With drums? Or maybe smoke?

For god's shake let us be reasonable and do some reading before you ask.

El GrecoRelax man, I wanted to know if the place he bought the sim card and food sells phones or if he got the phone some place else (in BA or out) I would prefer to go to this place and get all 3 (card, phone, food) which is why I wanted to get more info on it. I have heard many people say and spoke to one person who told me that issues came up when trying to get a phone and card (ie: not allowing it, having to prove where you live, charging extra fees) so if someone knows a specific place that they used I would prefer that over some random place.

Sorry if you mis-understood my question.

Hefe
11-19-06, 23:42
Personal is conveniently located across the street from the Sheraton Convention Center. They make you sign some forms about being a prepaid account. They need your passport and in an hour I was set up. Costs around 6 pesos to get the chip. You then have to go to a pharmacy or grocery store and get a 10 or 20 pesos card. Make sure your phone is GSM and unlocked.

Member #3314
11-20-06, 02:12
This is a GSM phine and has a sim card. Would this phone work with a new sim card?

Sorry if I posted a dumb question that has already been answered.

Hefe
11-21-06, 01:30
You must get the phone unlocked though before you will be able to use it with a different carrier. You can get your phone unlocked at a local store, if available or through ebay.

Costanza12
11-23-06, 03:31
I didn't believe this, but it does work. Cingular will give you the unlock code just by asking. I just did two Razrs. Then just buy any sim chip and away you go.

Stoker Star
12-05-06, 00:40
The phone card Hablemas appears to be magic. I have used a 10 peso card since Friday and called the US at least twice daily.

Artisttyp
12-22-06, 17:37
I have a Verizon Global Phone but I'm not happy with my availability in South America. Is Cingular any better?

Cingular will not add international roaming to your service unless you have been with them for 3 months and I got a mixed response about getting an unlocked razor.

Is it worth being without an international cell phone for 3 months just to join the cinugular network?

Thanks

Member #3314
12-23-06, 01:41
There was a FTC law passed that all cell phone carriers have to unlock phones. This is only about a month old.

I have a Cingular Razr. I went to a store while xmas shopping and told them I was going to Argentina soon and would like to be able to change sim cards and be on the AR cell network. They told me no problem, and gave me a number to call. It is 1-800-335-4685. Just call them and say you are about to travel. Took about 5 minutes. They did ask me how long I has the phone, I told them a year. I don't know if there is any restrictions, if they give you a hard time I would look up the FTC ruling. I don't have it handy.

Also your phone must support the correct network, I. E. Gsm, 3g, etc.

From what I have figured out, if you are on cingluar or t-mobile with a gsm phone you should be ok in AR.

Ill find out in Feburary and report back.

DownBA
12-23-06, 10:16
Go to www.tigerdirect.com and look at the offerings for un-blocked 4 band phones in both reconditioned and new, in all there must be about 100 different choices. Then when you get to BA you go to a "Personal" phone store and ask them for a sim card. They charged me ten pesos for this and included installation.

Also when the phone came to my office it didn't look even remotely reconditioned, it looked brand new.

Only problem was that when I turned on my phone down there for the first time it asked me for some security code which I didn't have. No problem, they told me to visit a certain Peruvian guy a few blocks away who for 30 pesos hooked my phone up to some device that unlocked it completely in about 30 seconds. I was off and on my way with my first Argentinian cell phone. Only trouble was the phone I had gotten was either defective or had some configuration problem since I could hear everything people said to me but they couldn't hear me. I'll return this phone to www.tigerdirect.com and see how they custome service is and how well they stand behind their product.

Mozzy
01-02-07, 09:20
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have found really interesting info as I navigated through this. But to congratulate the forum is not the intention of this message.

I have a Personal GSM chip which I didn't use after my last trip in May last year. Some argie friends told me that I had to reacharge four months after the last use, and I had like $ 4 as a left over. I had the chance to recharge it some months after, but I was really busy and I didn't want to overload my credit card. The last time I tried to recharge it, at the beginning of December, the link to the recharging page didn't work and I didn't check the Personal site. As of today, Jan. 2nd, the page is unavailable.

If I want to reactivate my number. Should I try recharging from the site when it's available? What are the procedures of reactivate a number? Do I have to buy another GSM card again? I have plans to go there in February or April and somewhere in the 2nd part of the year.

Well, I look forward to answers!

Greet.

Mozzy

TangoManiac
01-06-07, 16:29
Hello,

If I want to reactivate my number. Should I try recharging from the site when it's available? What are the procedures of reactivate a number? Do I have to buy another GSM card again? I have plans to go there in February or April and somewhere in the 2nd part of the year.

Well, I look forward to answers!

Greet.

MozzyI don't know about recharging, but I just got a CTI Movil gsm card and charged it. It cost like 10 or 20 pesos for the actual charge and you load it up from there. It seemed that for the pay as you go the ctimovil plan was the cheapest. Could be wrong but it was nice. I didnt have my passport or anything. Just wrote down some nonsensical numbers in the slot for the passport number. It said something about a dni but the lady was more interested in selling me somethign than asking for ID. God bless argentina. This was at a citimovil stand near the Grand Tortoni Café on Avenida de Mayo, on that side of the street.

I don't think you need to worry about 4 bucks. Although its an oxymoron since exon just flamed me for complaining about a $us 18 fuck. Heh.

Coupe66
03-03-07, 16:32
I have been to BA 5 times but have never managed to master just getting a SIM card 'pay-as-you-go' style, to use on my existing GSM mobile. When I asked before a year or so ago I was told I had to buy a contract, is this no longer the case? I have managed to just buy SIM cards and reload them in other countries in Europe, but never in Argentina.

In order to make calls to Chica's, I find myself buying phone cards where I have to enter 5 different access codes before making a call from my rented appartment, or otherwise being getting embarassed in a cabina, just when I ask the most awkward question, some middle age lady steps into the cabin beside me! Know the feeling?

So, from what I understand having read back a few pages, this is now possible. Whats the best company? And do you need to be a resident etc / are there any places you experts can recommend which are hassle free in this respect. Would appreciate any advice from you experts! My phone is a new Nokia Quadband, unlocked, so I guess I should not have any problems from this respect, right ?

Daddy Rulz
03-03-07, 18:31
I have been to BA 5 times but have never managed to master just getting a SIM card 'pay-as-you-go' style, to use on my existing GSM mobile. When I asked before a year or so ago I was told I had to buy a contract, is this no longer the case? I have managed to just buy SIM cards and reload them in other countries in Europe, but never in Argentina.

In order to make calls to Chica's, I find myself buying phone cards where I have to enter 5 different access codes before making a call from my rented appartment, or otherwise being getting embarassed in a cabina, just when I ask the most awkward question, some middle age lady steps into the cabin beside me! Know the feeling?

So, from what I understand having read back a few pages, this is now possible. Whats the best company? And do you need to be a resident etc / are there any places you experts can recommend which are hassle free in this respect. Would appreciate any advice from you experts! My phone is a new Nokia Quadband, unlocked, so I guess I should not have any problems from this respect, right?Since you visit here just go to one of the little phone stores and buy a cheap cell phone for around 30-40 bucks US. It will come with 50p of credit and no need for all the trouble. Simple solution to an ongoing problem. When you leave give it to Roxanna or Ana Luna so they can offer it to Apt. Clients or tour clients. They make a little money and because somebody is using it the number stays active.

El Greco
03-03-07, 19:16
[QUOTE=Coupe66]I have been to BA 5 times but have never managed to master just getting a SIM card 'pay-as-you-go' style, to use on my existing GSM mobile. When I asked before a year or so ago I was told I had to buy a contract, is this no longer the case? I have managed to just buy SIM cards and reload them in other countries in Europe, but never in Argentina. QUOTE]CTImovil company used to sell only contracts. I think this is not the case any more.

Yes you can get a SIM card for only 5p and some airtime starting from 10p and you can use it on your 4band phone with its data and camera or buy cheap blocked local phone. Up to you.

Sim card will be alive for 8 months after the last recharge then the number is cancelled. That is for "Personal", the company that I use.

Hound
03-04-07, 01:49
Argentina prepaid SIM cards can be had in the US before you leave (assuming you're US based) Google 'Argentina SIM card' for multiple retailers.

El Perro
03-04-07, 02:05
Argentina prepaid SIM cards can be had in the US before you leave (assuming you're US based) Google 'Argentina SIM card' for multiple retailers.Hound chimes in!

WorldTravel69
03-04-07, 11:27
Some guy on the airplane told me about this company. Sounds good.

www.mobal.com

Coach 245
03-05-07, 02:16
My wingman and I both bought Argentina Phone Number Sims Cards on ebay before coming down here last year. This way we already had our Cell Phone numbers before leaving the states and were well prepared for passing the number out to whomever we wanted, once we arrived.

Coach

SexMachine
03-22-07, 12:58
I am coming to BsAs soon and I am bringing my unlocked GSM phone from Canada. From what I understand, I need to buy a sim card and top it up with credits whenever I run out of time. Is that right?

Who has the best reception / service and the best prices?

What is the best place to buy a SIM card without the DNI?

SM

BadMan
03-22-07, 19:29
Who has the best reception / service and the best prices? What is the best place to buy a SIM card without the DNI? SMHi SM,

I think if your cell phone is unlocked AND works on their system here then you should be ok. I know different cellphones sometimes work on different networks such as GSM and so on. So double check that.

And yes you can just buy a sim card at almost any corner kiosk store or any cell phone outlet, they cost around 40-50 pesos depending on the company you choose. Something like 15 dollars US. Then you buy recharge cards that sell for 10-20 pesos and some companies have larger denominations, though most kiosks have 10-20 Peso cards.

The best, I am not sure, though I have CTI, and they are about 70% of the time good, though the other 30% of the time they suck. I have heard the best are MoviStar and Personal, they have the largest networks and so their reception should be better. I have been told Personal is the best, though I can't confirm since I don't have it, but all the chicas swear by it.

Hope that was helpful,

Bad

Desperado999
03-22-07, 23:57
Best place to get a SIM Prepago (Prepaid SIM) is any of the phone places on Corrientes. My gang and I prefer CTI Movil be / c we can also call back to the US pretty reasonable. You can also send and received US txt messages. The last SIM I had in Nov. 06 cost 50 pesos and I got about 25 minutes. Under normal+ usages I noticed that in ten days one can go through about $120 pesos in phone calls.

Desperado999

So, from what I understand having read back a few pages, this is now possible. Whats the best company? And do you need to be a resident etc / are there any places you experts can recommend which are hassle free in this respect. Would appreciate any advice from you experts! My phone is a new Nokia Quadband, unlocked, so I guess I should not have any problems from this respect, right?

Easy Go
03-23-07, 00:19
I am coming to BsAs soon and I am bringing my unlocked GSM phone from Canada. From what I understand, I need to buy a sim card and top it up with credits whenever I run out of time. Is that right?

SMThe "gotcha" with GSM is that there are four GSM frequencies (850/900/1800/1900) that can be used but each country / carrier usually uses only one or two of them. A "world phone" is quad band and will work anywhere but many phones are only dual band.

CTI Móvil and Personal Lite both use 1900 which appears to be the frequency used in Canada. But you should check the specs on your phone to be sure.

Also, the cost per minute depends on the price of the card. 10p cards are much more expensive per minute than 20p or larger cards.

Sportsman
03-23-07, 01:05

SMSM,

I got my SIM card at the CTI main store on Paraguay and Florida back in SEP 05. It cost 10 pesos with 10 pesos air time included. I had to provide an ID to register the SIM card. Driver license from home would do.

Pre-pay air credit on CTI is only good for two months without recharging. And the remaining credit does not come back even when you recharge it after two months, unlike other providers such as Personal and Movistar.

I always buy recharge card on the second floor of the main store and have the Help Desk on the ground floor to activate it for me. And the last two times the cashier recharged my phone directly online without having to enter any code from my phone. The best value I found there is the 20 pesos card which provides 28 pesos worth of air credit.

Hope this help,

Sportsman

Alan23
03-23-07, 14:02

SMSM, Literally every 10th storefront in BA sells phone, sims, tarjetas. This is the least of your worries. I use CTi, but would not necessarily recommend them - they are the cheapest, but also have the most computer outages and delayed message deliveries. Additionally, their recently changed policy to not "roll over" credit if you do not recharge before airtime window expiration really annoys me! Signal strength has never been a problem for me.

I was recently shopping for a sim chip for my friend - Personal in particular. The first price I got was 29p with 5p free air time. I then found a card for 5p with 30p worth of free sms text messages. Needless to say I stopped looking and bought it. In BA, it is a must to shop around to find the best prices (not exclusive to phones!) No ID required - only required to verbally give a passport number.

Guys, if you are coming to BA and you want to use your cell phone - you only need to ask yourself two questions:

1. Is my cell phone "Unlocked"? If you don't know what this means - check the internet.

2. Is my cell phone capable of using GSM band 1900 (I. E. Virtually all North American phones use 1900, exception being Nextel - however they also have multiple band phones capable of GSM roaming, but not capable of using another company's GSM chip - let's not get bogged down on that one)

ComeOnDown
03-23-07, 16:17
Alan23 got it spot on. Buying SIM cards no longer requires you to present identification. However, this only holds true for prepaid cards, enrolling in monthly plans is another story.

Loading credits in prepaid SIM cards is as easy as buying candy from a kiosco. In fact even RapiPago and PagoFacil has dipped into the action as they now do virtual loading. All you need to do is give them your cell no. And they will instruct the cellular phone networks to transmit credits to your SIM. This method is advisable if you have maxed out your credits or if your SIM has been inactive for quite awhile. The waiting time is shorter as compared to loading them phone cards where you scratch the back portion to get a series of numbers.

SexMachine
03-24-07, 14:09
I now have enough info to buy a sim card and get my phone activated.

I will post my experience and prices as soon as I get to BsAs next week.

SM

SexMachine
03-31-07, 16:47
After reading everyone's comments, I decided to go with Personal and visited their main office on Corrientes. Half hour and 6.78 Pesos later, I was happy to have my Motorola phone from Canada working fine. The guy even tested it to make sure it is unlocked and will work on their network before I actually bought thr SIM. Very nice and friendly staff. Even with my limited spanish skills, it was no problem.

After that, I visited a locutorio to purchase a 20 peso Prepaid card and I asked them to put the nos. In the phone to get the credit which they happily did.

I could not find any prepaid card worth more than 20 pesos anywhere.

Does anybody have any idea where to buy a personal Prepaid card worth 50 or 100 pesos?

Again. I was immensely helped by the replies from everybody.

Keep reading for my other reports. I will be posting a lot this time.

SM

PS - Sorry Guys. I posted it in the wrong thread. It should not be in the Cell phone rentals. Stupid me.

AllIWantIsLove
04-01-07, 13:13
SexMachine,.

I'm curious, is the card you buy for a cell phone the same card that you buy for land line use (e. G. Hablemás) The highest value card I could find for land line use was a $15 peso card from Farmacity.

Thanks, Bob

SexMachine
04-01-07, 16:12
SexMachine,

I'm curious, is the card you buy for a cell phone the same card that you buy for land line use (e. G. Hablemás) The highest value card I could find for land line use was a $15 peso card from Farmacity.

Thanks, BobNo Bob.

They are different cards. For cell phones, you will buy the card for the cell phone company you are using. e.g. Personal for me.

For landline, you will need a different prepaid card to make the long distance calls and to call the cell phones.

SexMachine

Seismo
04-19-07, 18:42
I purchased a small Motorola with 20 pesos credit for 60 pesos.

They asked my name and passport number, but did not need a copy of passport. I suppose you could give any name / number.

The girl working behind the counter told me they have daily specials on whatever phones they have in excess inventory and that different locations have different specials. I went to location at Santa Fe 3000, but there are others all over the city. Haven't had a dropped call yet, much better than my Sprint service at home.

Hefe
04-24-07, 02:45
DMCA Exemptions Allow You to Unlock Cell Phones.

By Bryan Gardiner.

Unlocking your cell phone is now fully legal here in the U. S.—at least for the next three years.

ADVERTISEMENT Last week, the Register of Copyrights released the latest list of exemptions to 1998's Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and along with it, some welcome news for cell phone users.

Of the six proposed exemptions (the largest number to date) the one that arguably affects U. S. Consumers the most is number five on the list, which covers:

"Computer programs in the form of firmware that enable wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telephone communication network, when circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of lawfully connecting to a wireless telephone communication network."

Cell Phones.

Cell Phones That Rock.

In other words, it is now permissible for anyone to "unlock" a phone tied to one network and use it with another; as long as they own the phone.

If your cell phone is locked and GSM, call your provider and get the subsidy unlock code. Before this ruling, the carriers would not provide it. Then you can use any prepaid card in Argentina

Punter 127
04-25-07, 13:22
The link below has some good info on how to use your cell phone, with a Personal Sim card. They sell the Sim cards online but they are much cheaper in BsAs. The only reason I can think of to buy the Sim online is if you need to know your phone number before you go.

http://www.cellularabroad.com/argentinaSIMop.php

WorldTravel69
04-26-07, 11:43
If you want to buy an unlocked cell phone, buy it at home. If you buy one in B.A. They charge US$100 to unlock it.

I know because I fucked up.

P.S. Buy the same sim card for the same operating system. Movistar phone uses a Movistar sim. Other sims will work, but the internet does not work completely.

WorldTravel69
04-27-07, 21:50
I have a Personal Sim Card to sell for 35p. It has 30p credit on the phone.

PM me or meet me at l'Alliance or Exedra, between 9-12pm.

The old guy with the short grey beard and a dark green cap on backwards.

I leave on the 11th.

Patrik609
05-30-07, 02:16
I don't know about calling from Argentina but from USA to Argentina you can call for 1 cent / minute.

10 $ phone card will give you over 16 hours of talk time. And that is insane:)

http://pinphonecard.pushline.com/p/?id_from_country=182&idcountry=15&Submit2=SEARCH

From Argentina to USA for 10$ you can get nearly 7 hours of talking.
/I didn't tried yet/

http://pinphonecard.pushline.com/p/?id_from_country=15&idcountry=182&Submit2=SEARCH

Sportsman
06-02-07, 19:37
I recharged my SIM card with credit at the CTI main store on Florida last Tuesday. It took a while for the credit to come through (a few hours instead of normal 5 to 10 minutes) When it finally did, the recording said it is good until Sunday Nov. 25th! That's exactly 180 days instead of the normal 2 months.

David_33
06-29-07, 21:03
After losing 50 pesos during my first half hour in B. A. this trip trying to use phone cards with the locked phone in my rental apartment, I said screw this, I'm going to get an Argentinian phone number for my cell. Since I have an unlocked multiband phone, and had done the same in both BKK and Sao Paolo, I had a pretty good idea what to do. My roaming signal was CTI, so I figured I might as well go with that company. Last trip to B. A. I just used the roaming and was unpleasantly surprised when the bill for a few hundred dollars arrived at the end of the month.

Since I made the wise choice of getting out of Recoleta this trip and staying downtown, I went to the CTI store on Paraguay and Florida. Got there early in the morning when they opened, but their computer wasn't working. The girl said come back later. Went back at 10 and everything OK. First think you do is wait in the Information Desk line. Tell the girl you want a chip. She asks for some kind of ID. Passport not needed. Then prints out a ticket and tells you to sit until your number is called. Sat for about 5 minutes and was then attended to. First thing, the girl tried my phone out with her chip to make sure it was unlocked. Passing this test she asked my for 10 pesos and had me sign a bunch of documents. Then she gave me my number and chip. Told me if I wanted to purchase some minutes I could go upstairs to the third floor. Went upstairs, and since I knew I was going to be making international as well as local mongering calls, I bought 50 pesos worth of minutes and they gave me an extra 30 as a gift. Turns out that it takes around an hour for the chip to begin funcioning and to be able to add minutes so I just left the money with the guy on the third floor. Tried the phone in an hour. Dialed *555 and was told that I had 80 pesos credit. Easy and cheap. The bad news is that the credit only works for 60 days unlike in Peru. So I will lose anything I don't use. Not the end of the world. Also, as has been mentioned in previous posts, the chip will be cancelled after 6 months if one hasn't purchased more minutes. Since I plan to be back before the end of this time, no big deal. Even if I wasn't, the 3 and a half dollars that the chip costs is nothing. However since I'm not a big fan of lines and paperwork, I'd want to avoid having to get new chips every trip.

Sportsman
06-30-07, 00:52
David33,

Here is my latest experience on CTI credit.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=371930&postcount=133

When you return after two months, try using the phone before topping it off with more credit. I was pleasantly surprised earlier this year that the credit was still good after more than a two month absent.

David_33
06-30-07, 11:31
I'm just going by what the *555 recording says when I call to check how many pesos I've got left. At any rate, I'm going to try to use them all up before I leave.

Miami Bob
06-30-07, 11:49
I posted my detailed experiences with CTI sim cards or chips a few years back. Knowing more about Argentina today than years ago, my next chip would be Personel or Movistar--cheaper per minute and better local bs as service.

I was staying in Recoleta and arriving on a Saturday morning.

I walked on Callao past Santa Fe one block and by Marcelo T, there is a main Personel store which is open part of the day on Saturday--closes at 2pm. They took very good care of me.

Cheap and can add up to 99 pesos of time by computer.

I started in spanish--I am self-sufficient in spanish, but clearly not fluent. When I had some problems with questions about international calling, uses phone cards with the cel phone etc.; an english speaking customer service rep was brought down who had worked for motorola. This guy spoke fluent english. He actually taught me how to use some of the features on my motorola razr that I had never bothered to learn how to use.

The personel service in bs as is much better than cti--few dropped calls; fewer times without service; clearer conections and cheaper per minutes on average.

I would rate the service more or less the same as movistar. I has used one of jackson's movistar rental phones last xmas after my ex-novia decided that I owned her money and kept my older cel.

For the people in centeral, there is a large personel re-seller.

On Florida east of Corrientes [a block or two towards Plaza San Martin] which is open long hours and sells chips and larger phone cards. They take international credit cards.

Personal's own centers do not take international credit cards.

Personel and Movistar both have large offices on Corrientes near Florida which sell sim cards.

Bob

Facundo
07-15-07, 09:41
Last week I was able to get a CTI fixed monthly plan without the DNI. In the past I would use the CTI centers to buy a 100 pesos worth of minutes (160 minutes) or in a bind I would buy the 20 peso cards at most kioskos. Everytime I tried to buy a monthly plan they would tell me I needed the dreaded DNI. Well, last week I went to the CTI center on Avenida Cabildo 2537 with copies of my passport, escrittura (if you don't own an apartment, a copy of your apartment rental agreement is sufficient) and one utility bill (not required). I took a number and within five minutes I was speaking to a CTI representative. I told her I have every intention of living here and I would like to have a monthly plan. Ten minutes later I had a 330 minute monthly plan for 89 pesos per month.

I asked the representative what would others who don't have the DNI need to do to get a plan. She basically said, "que hacen lo que usted hizo" (that they do what you did)

If you would like a fixed monthly plan because you spend a lot of time here or are actually living here, just go to any of the CTI centers like the one mentioned above or to the cti center on Paraguay why Florida with a copy of your passport information and a rental agreement and you can purchase a monthly plan without the DNI.

Other facts to consider before buying any plan from CTI. You can choose from plans that cost about 30 pesos to about 200 pesos per month. It takes about 5 days for the plan to kick-in on your cell phone. The reason for the 5 day delay is because you have five days to accept or reject the plan. The contract period is for 2 years and you can change to a different plan within the 2 year period as long as it's a plan that has more minutes. CTI requires that you pay for two months in advance or if you use your credit card to pay for the monthly bill the two months in advance is not required. Since I pay all my local bills on the internet using my local Argentina bank account I chose to pay the two months in advance. Consequently my first two monthly bills will be $0 pesos. Finally, if you buy a cell phone plan you can choose to buy a cell phone at a reduced rate and pay for it in three installments.

L

Lexton
07-15-07, 18:41
Reading about your CTI without DNI post, it sounds good. It looks like they keep loosening up the requirements for foreigners.

But interestingly, it looks like you have done something else without the DNI. Could you tell us about the local Argentine bank account wtihout a DNI? All the banks I've looked at say they require it, as do other posts here.

Thanks.

Facundo
07-17-07, 08:58
Reading about your CTI without DNI post, it sounds good. It looks like they keep loosening up the requirements for foreigners.

But interestingly, it looks like you have done something else without the DNI. Could you tell us about the local Argentine bank account wtihout a DNI? All the banks I've looked at say they require it, as do other posts here.

Thanks.Lexton, I only know of two ways to get a local bank account without the DNI.

The first way of getting one I encountered recently by accident. While my apartment was being built I went to the different banks to inquire about apartment insurance (seguro de hogar) and every bank told me they couldn't sell me apartment insurance unless I had a bank account. O course I couldn't open up a bank account unless I had the DNI (I believe Joseph Heller wrote his masterpiece Catch 22 after visiting Argentina) However, the rep from Banco Galicia told me they would open up a bank account for me if I purchased the insurance and had the monthly premiums deducted from my new bank account. Since I already had a bank account I didn't take them up on it immediately because the next day I was able to purchase insurance from HSBC without having a bank account with them.

I think Galicia bank will open a bank account for you if one buys either apartment insurance or car insurance, or maybe even life insurance.

The other way of opening up a bank account is to target banks like Citibank, Banco Frances, etc. Walk in with your passport, rental agreement or escrittura if you own property, and a copy of the "Certificado de Antecedents Penelas" (this is just a criminal background check issued by "The Ministerio De Justicia why Derechos Humanos") showing you don't have a criminal history in Argentina.

Go to the bank with the above information and tell them you want to open a bank account. They will tell you that without the DNI you cannot open one up. This is when you need to use your spanish language skills (I'm fluent) Tell them you already knew that, however you also know that the banks are allowed to open up bank accounts if one is trying to establish residency (blame immigration for the slow process. Inefficient managers of banks like to think they are progressive and not as backwards as those lazy porteños who work in immigration) I told the bank rep that no law actually existed that specifically stated I couldn't open up a bank account. I did let him know that many banking regulations existed regarding the opening of bank accounts because of money laundering, corruption, etc. I asked him to please speak to his manager. To make a long story short, the rep did speak with his manager and after much discussion they told me I had to come back the next day. When I went back the next day, they told me that they would open up a bank account with all privileges that all Argentine citizens have; high fees, low interest rates, and no transferring of dollars into my account from overseas banks for the first 6 months. By the way, I recenlty got them to give me a large safety deposit box that comes with a ridiculous 500 pesos per year fee. Suerte.

RichiBoone
07-24-07, 05:39
Well, these reports became a lot clearer when I found out what a SIM card is. Doh!

I'm coming down w / ball & chain and her brother. Just want us to be able to contact each other while we are in BsAs. So from other posts it sounds like I can get 3 phones for about $60 USD total and each will have perhaps 10 pesos of credit. Is that about right? Any other related immediate expenses?

We are staying at Av. Cordoba why Av. Leandro. None of us minds walking. So where is a low time waster establishment we should purchase from? (I count the walk as orientation and useful.

How time consuming should it be to get it set up?

Will 10p give me about 10 minutes of talk time?

(Been all over this site. Great information. Thanks. Hope I will have some breakaway time and be able to submit a report.

El Greco
07-24-07, 19:09
Well, these reports became a lot clearer when I found out what a SIM card is. Doh!

I'm coming down w / ball & chain and her brother. Just want us to be able to contact each other while we are in BsAs. So from other posts it sounds like I can get 3 phones for about $60 USD total and each will have perhaps 10 pesos of credit. Is that about right? Any other related immediate expenses?

We are staying at Av. Cordoba why Av. Leandro. None of us minds walking. So where is a low time waster establishment we should purchase from? (I count the walk as orientation and useful.

How time consuming should it be to get it set up?

Will 10p give me about 10 minutes of talk time?

(Been all over this site. Great information. Thanks. Hope I will have some breakaway time and be able to submit a report.Set up will be done within a few hours.

Make sure all three phones are of the same company so the per minute charges are cheaper. It is more expensive if you call a number that belongs to another company.

Ten minutes of airtime is about right.

El Greco

Ben There
11-02-07, 09:17
I am flying in to EZE and then transferring to ARP then flying out, then back again. Can I get a sim at either airport and are they going to be more expensive at the airport or the regular charges they have for the company?

Jackson
01-01-08, 00:00
Thread Starter.

Salving123
01-10-08, 23:07
Great info in this thread about purchasing cheap phones (AR$100 or so) or getting a unlocked GSM phone and buying a local SIM card.

How about the option of renting a cell-phone?

http://www.tangol.com/eng/cell_phone_rental.asp

Seems to offer a free cell phone and calling rates are around AR$1.25/ minute for local calls, and AR$2.95/ minute for US calls.

For someone making just 5-10 calls, this seems like the most convenient and reasonably cheap option - is that correct? For example, 10 local calls of 3 minutes each would be under US$15 total.

Detailed rates from that web site:

Ø Airtime minute: AR$ 1,00 (plus national and international communication)

Ø Insurance (optative): AR$ 15,00

National and international Communications per minute:

Locals AR$ 0,25

Nacionales AR$ 0,65

Argentina - Mercosur AR$ 1,75

Argentina - U. S AR$ 1,95

Argentina - Europa AR$ 2,99

Argentina - Israel AR$ 2,20

Incoming calls AR$ 1,00

Tax is not Included.

Member #2041
01-11-08, 14:46
You can easily pick up an unlocked world compatible (quad band GSM) phone on ebay for a very little. If you travel a lot, this is a very sensible thing to do.

Motorola is the biggest manufacturer of quad band phones, by far. Some others like Siemens, Samsung, and Nokia make some, but the vast majority of their phones are not Quad band, and the Nokia quad bands are quite expensive, so you would need to really do some research as to which model is compatible with the destinations you want it to be. For that reason only, I recommend sticking with a Motorola GSM phone, since most of their current and recent models are world-compatible, widely available, and cheap.

The cheapest world quad-band Moto GSM phones available is the V180, one of which can be picked up, already unlocked, from reputable sellers on ebay for under $30 including shipping. A V188 is basically the same but also has a camera. But these phones are on the crappy side. The first phone I ever did this with was a V180 I bought for $28, but after about 3-4 months of use over a year of ownership, the voice transmission degraded to the degree that many folks I called on their cellphones could not make out my speech. It still worked fine for texting, though, or when calling land lines.

I personally recommend spending a bit more for a much better V190 or V195. I now use a V190 that I picked up in true mint condition with all the accessories, for $42. The similar V195 adds bluetooth and can be gotten unlocked in mint condition for under $60. These phones are much better constructed and have better sound quality than the low-end V180.

If you want a more trendy, feature-laden phone with a camera, an unlocked RAZR V3 can be gotten for $80-100 in true mint or new condition.

All of these world phones will take a SIM card from anywhere in the world - and you can buy pre-paid time cards as well, for cheap. You can also use them in the U. S. On T-Mobile or AT&T pay as you go plans. You can get a T-mobile SIM with 150 minutes pre-loaded, for under $10 on ebay (the retail value is $30) I use this $42 V190 as my anonymous hobbying phone in the U. S. As well as whenever I travel around the world.

I would also add that if you only travel within the U.S. and Argentina, then pretty much any unlocked GSM phone bought in the U.S. will work in Argentina as well, as Argentina chose to use the U.S. frequency bands. But Brazil, Venezuela, Uruguay and Costa Rica, as well as most of Europe and Asia, use the other 2 frequency bands. The following map will clarify this:

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Salving123
01-11-08, 16:56
I now use a V190 that I picked up in true mint condition with all the accessories, for $42.

All of these world phones will take a SIM card from anywhere in the world - and you can buy pre-paid time cards as well, for cheap.Great info! I presume the Motorola V220 is also as good or better than V190 (assuming that the higher number means newer / better features? One vendor on ebay is offering it for $41, which looks like a good deal. V190 seems to go for $40 to $50.

Member #2041
01-11-08, 17:30
Great info! I presume the Motorola V220 is also as good or better than V190 (assuming that the higher number means newer / better features? One vendor on ebay is offering it for $41, which looks like a good deal. V190 seems to go for $40 to $50. Actually, the V220 is an older phone than the V190 and V195. The V220 was Moto's basic camera phone from the generation between the V180/ V188 and the V190/ V195.

FYI, the V180 and V188 came out in 2002, The V220 came out in 2004, the V190 and V195 came out in 2006.

I don't know whether it's as good or better than the V190 and V195, because it is an earlier model. It would be safe to presume that it's at least as good or better than the V180 and V188, but the V190 and V195 phones are widely regarded to be significantly improved over Moto's earlier generations of clamshell models. The various user reviews of the V190 and V195 are much better, in terms of build quality and signal / sound quality than the older models. But I can't speak to the V220 specifically, as I have never had one. I can only say for sure that the V190 is noticeably better than the V180 in terms of build quality and signal / sound quality, from personal experience. I still own both. But I only use the V190 (I only keep the V180 as an emergency backup)

Also, if you're buying a Moto V180, V188, or V220, off ebay, make sure it's a Quad-band phone. They also sold some versions that were just 2 or 3 bands and won't work as world phones. All of the V190 and V195 phones were quad-band world phones.

Ed Handy
01-15-08, 23:41
I would also add that if you only travel within the U. S. And Argentina, then pretty much any unlocked GSM phone bought in the U. S. Will work in Argentina as well, as Argentina chose to use the U. S. Frequency bands.Do you know if the 850mhz band is necessary for decent coverage in Buenos Aires? I have an old unlocked "world phone" (V300 tri-band 900/1800/1900) which I used to use with T-Mobile US and now use when in SE Asia. I'm looking at finally getting to Argentina in March, and would like to get a SIM card if the coverage there will be decent.

Member #2041
01-16-08, 00:34
Do you know if the 850mhz band is necessary for decent coverage in Buenos Aires? I have an old unlocked "world phone" (V300 tri-band 900/1800/1900) which I used to use with T-Mobile US and now use when in SE Asia. I'm looking at finally getting to Argentina in March, and would like to get a SIM card if the coverage there will be decent.Hard to say for sure without actually hearing from someone knowledgeable who's in BA. The largest carrier is CTI Movil, and they use both 850 and 1900 frequency bands, and their coverage map implies that Buenos Aires is covered by both, but more broadly covered by 850. I was almost in the same situation as you, as my older V180 was a 900/1800/1900 tri-band phone. But now I've got a V190 that's a Quad. FYI, here's a website with more detailed info, but what they currently say is what I have just summarized. The answer just from info on this website is inconclusive.

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ar.shtml

It would be useful for someone in Buenos Aires to weigh in as to whether any of the other networks besides CTI Movil are sufficiently broad in their coverage to be useful, because those networks use only the 1900 bands. I would say, bring it and try it. Worst case, you'll have wasted $5-10 on a SIM card.

Ed Handy
01-16-08, 01:13
It would be useful for someone in Buenos Aires to weigh in as to whether any of the other networks besides CTI Movil are sufficiently broad in their coverage to be useful, because those networks use only the 1900 bands. I would say, bring it and try it. Worst case, you'll have wasted $5-10 on a SIM card.Gotcha, thanks - much obliged.

Rock Harders
01-16-08, 03:38
Mongers-

First of all, CTI is by far the WORST mobile phone company Argentina, and is significantly smaller than both Movistar (telefonica) and Personal (telecom) Movistar and Personal are in many ways the Verizon and AT & T of Argentina, both decendents of "Ma Bell" in their own way. For the best rates and service, Movistar is the cream of the crop in my 2+ years living in Buenos Aires full time. Movistar also has a CDMA network for those who own nice USA-Verizon compatible phones and want to get them hooked up in Argentina. However, Movistar will not hook up your CDMA phone unless you have a Customs Declaration for that phone from when you brought it into the country.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Member #2041
01-16-08, 06:03
Thanks for the local input, Dirk.

If one were to arrive in Buenos Aires with an unlocked GSM World phone, what locally available network would you recommend for the most economical means of getting a SIM card and 100-200 minutes of time? Any suggestions about where to get SIM cards and pre-paid time would be well appreciated.

WorldTravel69
01-16-08, 14:11
They sell Sim Cards near the Retiro train station for about 5p.

I do not know about what number you will have and how to activate it.

I have also seen them being sold on Corrienties.

Member #2041
01-16-08, 15:54

I have also seen them being sold on Corrienties.A new SIM card comes with it's own number. When you buy a new SIM card, you now have a brand new local phone number with the local service that supplied that SIM card. Either the card that you bought is automatically activated when it's installed into the phone, or the place from which you buy it activates it when they sell it to you. You then also need to buy time for your number. This is either done by purchasing refill cards and calling the number on the refill card and entering it's PIN, or calling the pre-programmed customer service line from the phone containing your new SIM card and buying time with a credit card.

WorldTravel69
01-16-08, 20:47
I forgot to mention that the Sim Cards being sold are from guys standing on the street. Not in an Office.

A new SIM card comes with it's own number. When you buy a new SIM card, you now have a brand new local phone number with the local service that supplied that SIM card. Either the card that you bought is automatically activated when it's installed into the phone, or the place from which you buy it activates it when they sell it to you. You then also need to buy time for your number. This is either done by purchasing refill cards and calling the number on the refill card and entering it's PIN, or calling the pre-programmed customer service line from the phone containing your new SIM card and buying time with a credit card.

AllIWantIsLove
01-25-08, 18:13
Based on Miami Bob's post a while back (http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=372852&postcount=51) I went to the Personal office on Callao between Santa Fe and Marcelo T. De Alvear. (Thanks for that post Miami Bob, it was a big help! The first time I went their system was down and so they could not do anything. But they found someone who talked a bit of English and she said that when I came back I would need my passport. I asked if I really needed my passport or just its number and she said that they would need my passport. That would seem to be right because when I went back and they were setting me up they did copy the first two pages of it.

They probably asked if my cellphone was unlocked but I did not understand. Maybe I could have saved some time if I had been prepared to explain in Spanish that it was not locked. They had a guy whose English is excellent explain the very basics to me. (Probably the same guy who helped Miami Bob. But he seemed rushed and did not go beyond the basics.

Total cost for the SIM card was 7 pesos!

They said that it might take 2-3 hours before the phone would work. But it was more like maybe 20 hours.

I bought a card to charge the thing up (and be careful here, there's a card specifically for charging up a cell phone; you can't use a card intended for land lines to charge up your cellphone) But when I dialed *151 (that's the number you call to activate it and to charge it) there seemed to be a menu of things you can do and I did not understand which menu item was for charging the thing up. I needed the help of a local to enter my card number - and even he needed two tries!

The real fun started when I tried to call the cellphone from the landline in my room to make sure it worked. The landline kept telling me I had entered a wrong number. But I certainly hadn't. Well, my number, according to Personal, and who should know better, is 11-xxxx-xxxx. But dialed from a land line this produces an error message. For some reason from a landline you have to dial 15-xxxx-xxxx. From another cell phone you can dial the 11- number. I don't know if you can also dial the number with the 15-prefix from another cell.

This also probably explains why I haven't been able to call a hot girl who gave me her cellphone number as 11-xxxx-xxxx.

A question for Miami Bob, you said in your report that Personal cell phones can be charged from a computer. Can you explain a bit more about that? Did you mean by using a credit card or by using one of the cards you by at a kisoco?

Well, that's all I can think of. I hope maybe there is some info here that will be helpful to someone someday.

Bob

El Greco
01-25-08, 19:13
The real fun started when I tried to call the cellphone from the landline in my room to make sure it worked. The landline kept telling me I had entered a wrong number. But I certainly hadn't. Well, my number, according to Personal, and who should know better, is 11-xxxx-xxxx. But dialed from a land line this produces an error message. For some reason from a landline you have to dial 15-xxxx-xxxx. From another cell phone you can dial the 11- number. I don't know if you can also dial the number with the 15-prefix from another cell.

BobAll the telephones of rental apartments are blocked for calling cell phones.

From unblocked landline telephones you have to dial 15 first.

Most of them provide free local landline calls only.

El Greco

Jackson
01-25-08, 19:41
All the telephones of rental apartments are blocked for calling cell phones.

El GrecoEl Greco,

With all due respect, the telephone lines in my apartments ARE NOT blocked to call cellphones.

What I find interesting is that the guys who rent my apartments are heavy cell phone callers, and yet these extra charges only average perhaps 20-30 pesos a month, and have never exceeded 40 pesos. From my experience, the practice inconveniencing your customers by blocking calls to cellphones to save a few pesos is just another manifestation of the Argentine business mentality, which I like to summarize as follows:

"In Argentina, the customer is a big pussy waiting to get fucked."

(This quote was inspired in part by the famous line from the movie Scarface.)

Thanks,

Jackson

BadMan
01-25-08, 20:03
It is a digital charge up. If you go to a kiosk, they can charge any amount to your cell phone. You pay them in cash and they charge your phone digitally on the internet (all they need is your cell phone number) I am assuming you could do this yourself using a credit card, but I am not sure.

Regards,

BM.
A question for Miami Bob, you said in your report that Personal cell phones can be charged from a computer. Can you explain a bit more about that? Did you mean by using a credit card or by using one of the cards you by at a kisoco?

AllIWantIsLove
01-26-08, 11:16
All the telephones of rental apartments are blocked for calling cell phones.

El GrecoThey have told me that I cannot use the landline phone in my apartment for cell or international calls (maybe any kind of long distance calls). But (for anyone thinking about renting an apartment who might be concerned about this), that just means that you have to use a calling card (and dial 24 additional digits!). At least that is the case with the land line in the apartment I am in.

Bob

El Greco
01-29-08, 21:05
El Greco,

With all due respect, the telephone lines in my apartments ARE NOT blocked to call cellphones.

What I find interesting is that the guys who rent my apartments are heavy cell phone callers, and yet these extra charges only average perhaps 20-30 pesos a month, and have never exceeded 40 pesos. From my experience, the practice inconveniencing your customers by blocking calls to cellphones to save a few pesos is just another manifestation of the Argentine business mentality, which I like to summarize as follows:

"In Argentina, the customer is a big pussy waiting to get fucked."

(This quote was inspired in part by the famous line from the movie Scarface.

Thanks,

JacksonJackson,

Your apartment is unique with regard to services and location.

My apologies I did't exclude it in the first place.

El Greco

El Greco
01-29-08, 21:12
They have told me that I cannot use the landline phone in my apartment for cell or international calls (maybe any kind of long distance calls) But (for anyone thinking about renting an apartment who might be concerned about this) that just means that you have to use a calling card (and dial 24 additional digits! At least that is the case with the land line in the apartment I am in.

BobYou can also use Skype or get yourself a Vonage account as alternatives.

Might be more expensive though.

El Greco

Miami Bob
01-30-08, 11:46
Bob--on the street it is almost impossible to buy a card for more than 20 pesos. The blocks of over 50 pesos yield a lower rate per minute. At the personel office, one can buy up to 99 pesos at one time via computer, not by buying a card. They only take cash or an argentine issued credit card. They will not accept a foriegn credit card.

I have only been able to but a 50 or 100 peso cards at a personel independent agent on Florida between Cordoba and Corrientes. This location will also accept international credit cards. Personel itself does not sell the larger cards.

A kiosko owner who knows you as a regular customer, will obtain 50 pesos cards for you, if you politely ask. Most don't carry them because of lower demand. I use my cel with enogh volumn that the differnece in price per minute, is worth the effort to buy the larger cards or loading up 99 pesos at the persinel store.

Bob

Seaman
01-30-08, 13:20
The best deal you can get is getting yourself one of the (free!) "recarga facil" cards at any Pago Facil place. These are credit card sized cards with a barcode and a number at the front.

Once you have one, you have to register your cell phone number with the company (also free;)) and then you are ready to go.

Every time you use this card to re-charge the minutes on your phone, you get 20% extra. That makes a big difference.:)

The other nice thing about the cards is that you can re-charge the minutes at every Pago Facil. I normally use Farmacity outlets for this.

As far as I know it is possible to use these cards for every cell phone company.

Another benefit of this card is that you can leave the card behind in Argentina while you are outside of the country. A friend can then keep the line active by just putting $10 every month on the phone. This is great for the frequent visitors.

PS You can use Personal "Lite" phones in the USA to send/receive messages and to make calls if you want. Makes it easy to make arrangements before you come over... :D

AllIWantIsLove
03-07-08, 21:11
My cell phone is displaying ¨divert on¨ when I try to make a call, and the calls are not getting through. Can anyone, I hope, tell me what this means?

Thanks,

Bob

Facundo
03-07-08, 22:00
My cell phone is displaying ¨divert on¨ when I try to make a call, and the calls are not getting through. Can anyone, I hope, tell me what this means?

Thanks, BobIt appears you activated your divert call feature. See which one of the following codes you need to type in to undo the divert call feature. You might want to look at your manual. I think you might want to try the "Deactivate unconditionally divert all calls" code below. Also, here is a site that might be of help. Suerte.

http://www.wynasia.com/gsm_standard_codes.htm

De-register all call diversions ##002#©

Set all configured call diversions to number and activate.

**004*number#©

De-register all configured call diversions (no answer, not reachable,

Busy) ##004#©

Unconditionally divert all calls to number and activate **21*number#©

Activate unconditionally divert all calls *21#©

De-register unconditionally divert all calls ##21#©

Deactivate unconditionally divert all calls #21#©

Check status of unconditionally divert all calls *#21#©

Divert on no answer to number and activate **61*number#©

Activate divert on no answer *61#©

De-register divert on no answer ##61#©

Deactivate divert on no answer #61#©

Check status of divert on no answer *#61#©

Divert on not reachable to number and activate **62*number#©

Activate divert on not reachable *62#©

De-register divert on not reachable ##62#©

Deactivate divert on not reachable #62#©

Check status of divert on not reachable *#62#©

Divert on busy to number and activate / td> **67*number#©<

Activate divert on busy *67#©

De-register divert on busy ##67#©

Deactivate divert on busy #67#©

Check status of divert on busy *#67#©

Change number of seconds of ringing for the given service before.

Diverting a call (such as on no answer) Seconds must be a value from.

5 to 30. De-registering the same divert will also delete this change!

**service*number**seconds#© (Service numbers, see below)

© = <send>

ComeOnDown
03-09-08, 01:09
Brought in two quad band cellphones from the US. One is unlocked which worked perfectly, inserted my local SIM in the slot and I was able to use it immediately.

The other one is locked which obviously I had to have unlocked. An Argie friend accompanied me to Ave. Corrientes from the corner of Pasteur to Azcuenaga which according to him is the center of cellphone "unlockers", if there is such a word. He suggested that he do it for me because I might be charged the foreigner's price. After about 15 minutes he was out of store with an unlocked phone. Cost of unlocking the phone is 50 pesos including a SIM card.

Sportsman
04-04-08, 18:46
I walked by Maipu y Florida this afternoon and noticed the CTI store is now called Claro. I went inside and asked if anything else has changed besides the company name. I was told the company name change took place on MAR 25th but everything else remains the same, phone number, PIN, airtime credit, rate. Etc. But to check the balance of your airtime, go to www.claroargentina.com instead. The old CTI site still works for now. On my cell phone, the carrier still says CTI Movil.

Flrocks2000
04-21-08, 17:51
Is it a good deal? Like AAA Apartment Rental offer on their website cell phone rentals anyone tried this? In peru at the airport, when you go to the baggage claim theres lots of girls offering cell phone rentals (I've never gotten it) I was wondering if its the same in BA. Is it better to buy an unlock cheap cell phone in BA. You can get one on ebay for like US$75 (is it cheaper in BA)

Thanks!

Jaimito Cartero
04-21-08, 18:48
I bought a quad band phone on eBay for $10, and then paid 55 pesos to get the phone unlocked on Lavalle. Unless you really need a cell phone for a few days, I'd buy a phone before you get there, plus you can use it in other countries.

Member #2041
04-22-08, 11:09
Unlocked Quad Band GSM phones can be gotten on ebay for as little as $25 for a used moto V166 or V180 or as much as you want to pay for better ones. I paid $42 for a virtually unused Moto V190 (which is quite a bit better than the V180) I have used it in several countries in Asia, as well as the Dominican Republic and Argentina - as well as the U. S. On T-Mobile.

I'm using a personal SIM card, that cost me 20 pesos, but came with 20 pesos of time.

Banditx666
04-22-08, 12:10
Just returned from B. A. I'm trying to call some contacts with cell phones in Argentina from the states but I'm having no luck what so ever getting through.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to call an Argenitne cell number from the states.

Thanks,

Bandit

Sportsman
04-22-08, 14:23
Calling BsAs cell phone number 15-XXXX-XXXX from a landline in the US, use 011-54-911-XXXX-XXXX. From a cell phone: press and hold the "0" key until "+" comes up, then 54-911-XXXX-XXXX.

Next time, I suggest scanning the forum for your qestion before starting a new thread. Check out this thread:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2898

Dolomite
05-20-08, 21:20
Hi have Nokia 7610 which is unlocked, so I'm pretty sure it will be fine in ARG. What's the average peso / minute conversion. I'll be down for about 5 weeks, so given a reasonable amount of in county conversation, what do you think that will run me.

Thanks,

C

Argento
05-20-08, 21:43
They have a seperate transmission frequency to some other places. Nokia uses different codes so I can't tell you what to look for. However if you PM me I will give you the code on my phone. You can buy the cheapest Nokia here for about U$40 plus U$10 for the SIM. The best option if you cell frequency doesn't work.

Argento

Miami Bob
05-21-08, 04:11
I travel to BA about 4 times per year. If you have the sim card or chip registered with personal at their ofiice and in their computer under your name and passport number, it is easy to retrieve when is has been turned off because of non-use for over 180 days. If you purchase a chip that is not properly registered, you cannot reactivate it--it is garbage. You have lost your cel# and the purchase price of the card. A new chip costs 7 pesos. My ritual is to go to the personal store on Callao between Santa fe and Marcelo T Alvear and show a copy of my passport and reactivate my cell. I like keeping the same number. If I'm out of the country 90 days, the chip is almost always inactive and I have the personal people turn it back on.

At the store I can buy time in 99 peso blocks at a lower cost per minute than the 10 peso cards that you find on the street.

Both Personal and Movistar are good carriers. My fist chip was with CTI (now Claro)they have a better deal with you are traveling around the interior of argentina.

In BA, CTI's (now Claro) service is third rate. I would never use cti again after experiencing movistar and personal.

I know a guy who spends half his time in Santa Fe and half in the Capital Federal. He owns 2 phones: Movistar in BA and CTI (now Claro) for the country.

Gato Hunter
08-06-08, 18:25

I have also seen them being sold on Corrienties.Can anyone elaborate on this? Corrientes and Retiro are big areas to search.

I just need a sim, and I am not picky on the provider.

WorldTravel69
08-06-08, 21:55
I saw a guy selling them in front of the main entrance to the Retiro Train station. I do not know if the sell every day. I saw one guy on Correnties one time.

But you can buy one at any Phone service provider for about 20p or so.

Bring your passport.

I use Movistar, no problems.

Can anyone elaborate on this? Corrientes and Retiro are big areas to search.

I just need a sim, and I am not picky on the provider.

Miami Bob
08-06-08, 23:23
Personel sells the chips at 7 pesos and you can buy time time cheaper than anywhere else. You can also reactivate your chip if it is registered under your passport number. Eg you retuen to BA 4 months later. Personal will reactivate.

The chip when you show them your passport.

I purchaed a chip from a phone store and it was registerred under someone else's name. When it was turned off for lack of use, I could not turn it back on. I lost the money on the account and the chip was toast.

GO to the tel carrier's main stores. If you are in bario norte or recoleta: callao.

Between santa fe why Marcelo T. My experience is that movistar has slightly better coverage, but personal and movitar are quite simular

Gato Hunter
08-06-08, 23:29
Thanks for the info.

I read your post Bob, and thats actually what I tried to do but my spanish sucks and stuff and the girl kept asking me for a DNI. I think.

I will get it worked out in the morning.

Miami Bob
08-07-08, 00:27
There 2 guys who speak enough english to do a transaction in english at the personal office that I am recomending. They work upstairs in the management offices and will come down to help you if requested.

I carry reduced size photocopies of my passport in my wallet. 75% of the time the copies will work just fine in BA. Personal accepts photocopies, no problem.

Wait on the line by the door. When it is your turn--say some like "Ingles, por favor".

--english, please. Chip is the argentine term for a sim card. Chip nuevo. Pago con cajetas--pay with cards. You can do it! Bring cash in pesos. Personal will not accept a foreign credit card. Buy up to 99 pesos in time and receive free bonuses of extra credit. The end of may, my 99 pesos purchase yieded 156 pesos worth of time. This was enough to do more than two weeks worth of heavy cel phone use. You also get bonuses on buying smaller amounts of time directly from them at their store.

The customer service people will check that your phone is unblocked and works with the chip. Have the customer service rep write down how much time you want to buy. You pay for everything at the cashiers just below street level. La caja.

This is easier than buying a chip on the street

Aqualung
08-07-08, 13:20
Pago con cajetas--pay with cards.

This is easier than buying a chip on the streetThe correct word is tarjeta - Cajeta is another slang word for pussy;)

Seaman
08-07-08, 14:41
The correct word is tarjeta - Cajeta is another slang word for pussy;)Makes sense, since in English "box" is also slang for pussy;)

Aqualung
08-07-08, 15:01
Makes sense, since in English "box" is also slang for pussy;)But box would be cajIta this is cajEta. I'll have to investigate into this word!

Seaman
08-07-08, 15:11
Hmm. That shows off my Spanish knowledge I guess;)

Miami Bob
08-07-08, 21:12
Tarjeta, now I know!

Gato Hunter
08-07-08, 21:22
I got a card and its working. I took a few spanish speaking friends with me today and got it worked out.

It was 20 pesos, with 10 pesos of credit. Thru Personal.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Happy Mongering

Gato Hunter
08-12-08, 23:41
This may not be news to some, its new to me.

Some kioskos have a feature that you can give them your phone number and they will recharge your phone. Saves you from buying a card and scratching / calling etc. Its very quick.

The 25 HRS place at cordoba y cerritos is one that has this.

I am using Personal.

Aqualung
08-13-08, 09:11
You also get a better deal. Using this electronic system you pay 20 pesos and you get 24 pesos credit.

Jes1959
08-27-08, 16:48
When you use skype to call a landline phone, use the 54 Argentina prefix, then 11 and the 8 digit code. 54 11 4444 4444.

Jes

El Queso
08-28-08, 14:23
When you use skype to call a landline phone, use the 54 Argentina prefix, then 11 and the 8 digit code. 54 11 4444 4444.

JesWhen calling a cellphone, make sure you use 911 in place of 11.

Damman
10-28-08, 21:59
MEXICO CITY -(Dow Jones)- Wireless carrier NII Holdings Inc. (NIHD) and Research In Motion (RIMM) said Monday they will sell the Blackberry Curve 8350i smartphone in four Latin American countries starting in the first quarter of next year.

In a joint press release, the two companies said the smartphone, which includes push-to-talk service and Wi-Fi capability, will be made available through NII Holdings' operations in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and Peru.

NII Holdings, which operates in five Latin American countries, reported just over 5.8 million subscribers at the end of September.

NII Holdings competes with larger mobile operators in the region, including America Movil SAB (AMX) which has rolled out Apple Inc's (APPL) iPhone in recent months, Spain's Telefonica SA (TEF) and Telecom Italia (IT)

Aqualung
10-28-08, 22:28
MEXICO CITY -(Dow Jones)- Wireless carrier NII Holdings Inc. (NIHD) and Research In Motion (RIMM) said Monday they will sell the Blackberry Curve 8350i smartphone in four Latin American countries starting in the first quarter of next year.

In a joint press release, the two companies said the smartphone, which includes push-to-talk service and Wi-Fi capability, will be made available through NII Holdings' operations in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and Peru.

NII Holdings, which operates in five Latin American countries, reported just over 5.8 million subscribers at the end of September.

NII Holdings competes with larger mobile operators in the region, including America Movil SAB (AMX) which has rolled out Apple Inc's (APPL) iPhone in recent months, Spain's Telefonica SA (TEF) and Telecom Italia (IT)Personal offer both the Blackberry Curve and the Blackberry Pearl for aprox 1000 pesos plus a monthly fee of about 100 pesos for the service.

El Greco
10-29-08, 12:33
Personal offer both the Blackberry Curve and the Blackberry Pearl for aprox 1000 pesos plus a monthly fee of about 100 pesos for the service.http://www.glofiish.com/

Have a good look at these products. Way much better than an I phone and many others.

I tried to get one before leaving Athens but they were sold out.

You need to install some software in order to get maps etc but it is easily available on the net for free if you know how and where to look.

A friend of mine is using it, in RIO now, he is very satisfied, and can make and receive skype calls on the move as long as you have a WiFi signal.

No need to have commitments. Any GSM sim card accepted. I think a new model can accept even 2 sim cards and have TV on the move too. They are selling them with 3 year guarantee back home.

Tessan
11-08-08, 12:37
Paste.

It is not possible to SmS a phone number from Argentina with a US phone.I've sent text messages to Ba phones with my US T-mobile phone. I noticed that if the girl has Claro (formerly CTI) it does not work. If she uses Movistar, it works. I have not tried Personal. (my tmobile phone is unlocked, for international calls.

Aqualung
11-08-08, 21:38
I have personal and I can send messages to any phone I have ever tried in the US - Also to Indonesia! But I have never tried to the UK. Come to think of it I should try!

AllIWantIsLove
11-09-08, 03:14
While we are on this subject, does anyone know if it's possible to SMS cellphones from a computer? It's possible in the US but I have been unable to find a service which supports BA cellphone numbers.

Thanks,

Bob

Banana Rep
11-09-08, 08:56
Yes you can.

Try http://www.mensajesacelulares.net

While we are on this subject, does anyone know if it's possible to SMS cellphones from a computer? It's possible in the US but I have been unable to find a service which supports BA cellphone numbers.

Thanks, Bob

James Bond 007
11-09-08, 21:40
Yes you can.

Try http://www.mensajesacelulares.netHas anyone tried this and can say if it works or not?

Are most cell phones in Argentina set up to receive SMS messages? I tried using the above website to send a test message to my rental prepaid phone (Personal) a few days ago but couldn't get the text message to go through.

Aqualung
11-09-08, 22:55
Has anyone tried this and can say if it works or not?

Are most cell phones in Argentina set up to receive SMS messages? I tried using the above website to send a test message to my rental prepaid phone (Personal) a few days ago but couldn't get the text message to go through.I tried it and it didn't work!

To your second question, yes all phones here are set up to receive SMS messages.

LuvPirate
11-09-08, 23:52
I tried calling Heidi, Sol, and Nancy without much luck. This was today (Sunday) so I guess no suprise.

My spanish is basic. Heidi's voicemail said either it was full or not taking messages.

Sol, I was only able to leave a message.

With Nancy, I did the same.

There is no substitute for talking with someone, so I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Happy hunting guys and Poker thanks for the intel.

As far as calling them you need to dail 54 11 then xxxx-xxxx to call from outside BA, if you are local, 15 xxxx-xxxx if you are calling their cell phone, and just xxxx-xxxx if it is a local landline. Take a look at thier advertisement to see what you should dial.

One question, do any of the top ladies use email?

Jamesp
11-10-08, 10:17
The rule above applies if calling a landline, but if calling a cell phone (15-xxxx-xxxx) you change the 15 into a 911.

eg: Calling a cell (15-xxxx-xxxx) --> +54-9-11-xxxx-xxxx

Whereas calling a landline (11-xxxx-xxxx) --> +54-11-xxxx-xxxx

Jamesp
11-10-08, 10:21
I tried it and it didn't work!

To your second question, yes all phones here are set up to receive SMS messages.I wonder if SMS's will work if you try using 011-54-9-11-xxxx-xxxx as the number?

El Queso
11-10-08, 21:22
I wonder if SMS's will work if you try using 011-54-9-11-xxxx-xxxx as the number?I don't know about the service you all were discussing below, but when I was in the States, I had no problem exchanging SMS messages with my wife who was here in BA. She has Personal here and I had AT & T (first a contract, and then later a Go-Phone pay-as-you-go).

And that is right about using the correct code you mention as quoted.

Spinchi
11-11-08, 00:11
Here's how it works. The only 2 US phone companies that work in Argentina are T-mobile and AT & T. That's because unlike all other US companies, they use the GSM system which is standard in the rest of the world. GSM was designed so that all phones are the same, and you can just change the SIM card (a small chip that slides in next to the battery) and voila, your same phone handset works on a different network. In the US almost all companies except those 2 use their own proprietary networks so that a phone from Sprint can never be transferred to Verizon. All those other companies cannot access the universal GSM system which Argentina uses, so your American phone is useless unless it's from T-mobile or AT & T. With these companies you can not only send SMSs but you can also talk in any country (although at exorbitant roaming charges) The best is to call T-mobile or AT & T and ask them to unlock the phone (allow any SIM card to work) and then go to a phone store in Argentina and just buy a SIM card. That way your US handset can work like a local phone in Argentina without international roaming charges. You will get a local phone number, starting with the 15 code.

Gato Hunter
11-11-08, 01:55
ATT will give an unlock code 3 months after signing a contract. If you call them they will send you an e-mail with instructions.

You can't do it usually until you have a different sim card in your phone. Before you leave call AT & T and get the e-mail, when you get here get a sim card and your set.

I am not sure if this works with an iPhone. Although there are different cracks for that.

You should be able to get a Razr for nothing these days. I would not walk around with a fancy smartphone, or iPhone. This makes you a target.

Gandolf50
11-11-08, 09:04
Nextel also works here in Argentina. If you have unlimited radio service you can extend that to international for another 20 pesos or so a month. Not a bad deal if you have friends in the states with Nextel.

El Greco
11-11-08, 16:53
There is another aspect as well. The company that you are locked on must have a contract agreement with the other company for exchasing SMS's.

Eg A couple of years back when I was in Brasil, using my Greek sim card, my phone was locking on Oi, a local company, and I could exchange SMS's with other users of my Greek company but not with users of Vodafone (another company in Greece) although I could talk to them. But not SMS's.

When I was locking on TIM I could do that because TIM had a contract with Vodafone. So if you can not get through with one try another if it is available.

FYI all companies in European Union must sell unlock cell phones with at least a two year guarantee.

Bartonsky
12-12-08, 15:50
As per suggestion here I plan to buy a v190 unlocked quad ban phone from ebay for about $15 usd. I plan to be in columbia, BA, Santiago and Rio. Is there a way I can buy one SIM card for all of this or do I need to buy one for each country?

Thanks

Sportsman
12-13-08, 12:25
As per suggestion here I plan to buy a v190 unlocked quad ban phone from ebay for about $15 usd. I plan to be in columbia, BA, Santiago and Rio. Is there a way I can buy one SIM card for all of this or do I need to buy one for each country?

ThanksA SIM card from any particular country with international roaming probably will work for all those countries. But you'll be paying international roaming rate whenever you are out of that country, even if you are calling a local number. Also, people might hesitate to return your call, or even answer your call if they notice your foreign phone number.

I suggest just buy a local SIM card when you arrive to each country.

Damman
12-27-08, 14:03
Thanks to Miami Bob's cell phone instructions (http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=372852&postcount=51) up and running on Personal. Copy of the old passport and two hours later, the kid was good to go. Visited Personal agent in Palermo, Plaza Italia, painless. Everyone very accommodating, gave it my best dumb Gringo look and whalla: no Espanol. For me, it is an important deal. No more having to rely on a Landlord's phone. Had an old Razor and got the unlocking code from ATT. Thought that was going to be the most difficult hoop to jump through. However, another painless hoop. Thanks Mr. Bob.

Slamcity
03-18-09, 17:33
My spanish is limited and I prefer text messages with the chicas as well.

It gives me time to understand better what they are saying.My spanish is pretty good / fair Where can I get a cell phone for cheap? Rent one? Yeah like in the real world. Working girls love text messages too!

So what do you say once you get one of the girls on the phone?

"Hello 12 different names cause you use a million of them, I want to bang your ass come over?"

So you work out a price, is it rude to ask about price?

Thanks guys I'm off to BA in 26 days!

Argento
03-18-09, 17:49
My spanish is pretty good / fair Where can I get a cell phone for cheap? Rent one? Yeah like in the real world Working girls love text messages too!

So what do you say once you get one of the girls on the phone?

"Hello 12 different names cause you use a million of them, I want to bang your ass come over?"

So you work out a price, is it rude to ask about price?

Thanks guys I'm off to BA in 26 days!Bring your own and buy a chip for it here. A chip is about U$5 and you buy cards from kioskos for various amounts of money and use them as you need them.

Argento

Slamcity
03-18-09, 21:50
Bring your own and buy a chip for it here. A chip is about U$5 and you buy cards from kioskos for various amounts of money and use them as you need them.

ArgentoHmmm. I might be stupid about phones but I'm pretty sure than my Samsung phone does not work this way. Right? I'm pretty sure American phones can't do this.

Help please!

Kolos
03-19-09, 01:54
Hmmm. I might be stupid about phones but I'm pretty sure than my Samsung phone does not work this way. Right? I'm pretty sure American phones can't do this.

Help please!If you have unlocked tmobile / ATT should work (old cingular phones will not)

Sportsman
03-19-09, 06:05
Hmmm. I might be stupid about phones but I'm pretty sure than my Samsung phone does not work this way. Right? I'm pretty sure American phones can't do this.

Help please!What you need is an "unlocked" GSM phone. GSM phone means it uses a SIM card. Unlocked means it can use a SIM card from another phone carrier other than the one initally issued the phone.

Daddy Rulz
03-19-09, 10:35
What you need is a "unlocked" GSM phone. GSM phone means it uses a SIM card. Unlocked means it can use a SIM card from another phone carrier other than the one initally issued the phone.Just buy a throw away. 40 or 50 bucks and get yourself a phone, then you can text them two simple words, queres cojer? You will get some pussy quick.

Email sucks for chicas. Plus texting is easier than talking and everybody does it there. Except you have to learn a new spanish phrase "no tengo credito" when they don't feel like answering.

Miami Bob
03-20-09, 01:58
With a little care and savy you should get one of these cel's for us$20 to $25 including shipping. I own 3. This is a great model--long battery life--can set for both eng and spanish texting with good word completion software--and good recption. They have bluetooth. Good recption and sound quality. The v197 has been discontinued for 2+ years.

Buy from a reliable seller 99%+ revues and over 1000 sales. Then you can buy used in very good to like new condition dirt cheap.

Search for my posts below about how to buy a "chip" at the personal stores and load up on time CHEAP! The phone must be advertised as unlocked. It is irrelevant what carrier had it in the usa. Buying from the Personal store with a photo copy of your passport will permit you to reactivate the same number if you are out of the country 90 to 120 days and with luck even longer and retain the same number. Store all your phone numbers in the phone and not on the chip. Then if the chip is deactivated because you are out of the country too long, you will still have your friends' numbers stored!

If you buy a chip off the street it will be about the same price and registerred under someone else's name and you will not be able to re-activate it if it gets turned off.

Suerte,

Bob