PDA

View Full Version : Opening a privado Franchise opportunity

Master J
11-15-08, 22:53
Pass on this one....

Exon123
11-16-08, 03:32
I'd ask Gysell about the business first, I don't think its that easy.

Exon

Juanxito
11-16-08, 23:42
Privados are an illegal business and definitely unsuitable for American standards of business. Cops need to be taken care of, building neighbors need to be taken care of, unruly customers need to be taken care of (there's no calling 911 here) No offense but better leave this to the locals.

Master J
11-17-08, 01:24
Thanks for the comments. I had thoughts in my original post of setting up a little Paraguyan and she seems to know the ropes. I thought the benefits might be worth it, but all your reasons are exceptional points. Too much late at night thinking.

Aqualung
11-17-08, 01:32
This is a very complex business where you need to "know people". I don't recommend any gringo getting involved unless it's only through very anonymous financing.

Remember gringos are disliked here and I know of many cops and / or judges that would love to have one to make an example of. If you really want to invest your hard earned money in a nightlife / mongering activity go for a club. They are much more "legally" manageable.

Master J
11-17-08, 01:41
Duly noted. For sure wrong place to try any such venture. Just curious are most South American countries similar in there feels about gringos? Paraguay, Colombia, etc. I am sure it is not a home game on any counts. Any one would give someone up if it was there head to roll. Thanks for the reality check even if I was the money man!

Mike Schmidt
11-17-08, 02:17
For a while I had thoughts of buying a run down apartment downtown and then renting it out to my favorite at the time for her to run the privado out of.

She runs the business however she likes and pays me the rent. Then if she doesnt pay up after a few months then I rent it out to another young enterprising lady and so on ...

But then I decided to do something less risky and went long in the stock market.

So I got that going for me.

Which is nice

Aqualung
11-17-08, 02:24
Duly noted. For sure wrong place to try any such venture. Just curious are most South American countries similar in there feels about gringos? Paraguay, Colombia, etc. I am sure it is not a home game on any counts. Any one would give someone up if it was there head to roll. Thanks for the reality check even if I was the money man!It's probably the same in most places. I really don't mean that Americans are especially disliked in Argentina more than in any other country. It's just like a wealthy person being caught in the US doing something a poorer person would get away with.

Privados are borderline in any case and as a business need that the owners "know" someone to be able to function. It's not just a bribe to the cops! Slave labour, under-age prostitution, drug trafficking etc are just a few of the crimes associated to privados in general.

At this moment it really wouldn't be a good idea for a Mexican to open a pharmacy in BsAs. (Nor, come to think of it, would it be a good idea for a Arab to start a flying school in the US)

It wouldn't be such a bad idea for an American (especially if his name is Murphy or O'Connnor or something like that) to open pub in Bs As. Even if the pub has chicas working there!

Master J
11-17-08, 02:38

Which is niceGreat quote! Know the moment. Use it often as well

Aqualung
11-17-08, 02:50
For a while I had thoughts of buying a run down apartment downtown and then renting it out to my favorite at the time for her to run the privado out of.

She runs the business however she likes and pays me the rent. Then if she doesnt pay up after a few months then I rent it out to another young enterprising lady and so on.

But then I decided to do something less risky and went long in the stock market.

Which is niceThe bottom line is if you want to help a chica - make money the way you BEST know how and give it to her - NEVER the other way around!

Juanxito
11-17-08, 02:59
Remember gringos are disliked here and I know of many cops and / or judges that would love to have one to make an example of.I don't think there's a particular dislike, rather than a general dislike for "foreign criminals". Crimes associated with privados will usually make nice enraging stories in the news, and having a foreigner involved makes it usually more enraging. Same as whenever a gang of drug dealers is caught and they turn out to be Peruvians, or a kidnappers gang is caught and they turn out Paraguayans. I mean, it's not with gringos in particular, but the general feeling is "why don't you go fuck with the law in your own country and leave us alone". Besides, this underage prostitution and slave labour stuff will be promptly set up if necessary (be it true or not) should the privado "misbehave". I'd say the business is way more on the mafioso side than on the "respectable business" side.

Cheers

Aqualung
11-17-08, 03:09
I don't think there's a particular dislike, rather than a general dislike for "foreign criminals". Crimes associated with privados will usually make nice enraging stories in the news, and having a foreigner involved makes it usually more enraging. Same as whenever a gang of drug dealers is caught and they turn out to be Peruvians, or a kidnappers gang is caught and they turn out Paraguayans. I mean, it's not with gringos in particular, but the general feeling is "why don't you go fuck with the law in your own country and leave us alone". Besides, this underage prostitution and slave labour stuff will be promptly set up if necessary (be it true or not) should the privado "misbehave". I'd say the business is way more on the mafioso side than on the "respectable business" side.

CheersExactly - The press would love a story about a foreigner owning a "privado"