PDA

View Full Version : Friends With Pros

Stan Da Man
11-28-08, 19:08
Here's the third story in my "First-24-Hours-in-BA" Trilogy. The other two are posted under Cafe Orleans and Police threads. This one's not as interesting, but at least it has pictures. As with all posts in this Trilogy, I'm a bit long-winded.

As mentioned in the story under the Police thread, my two amigos and I went to Black on our first night in town. My colleagues hooked up with two old flames and took them back to our casa, which came complete with a large hot tub and sun deck on the top floor. These two chicas really dug the sun deck and, after my friends had had their way with them, they invited themselves over the next day to tan, hang out, drink some beer and whatever. Sounded good to my friends, so they told them to come by around 2:00 in the afternoon.

The next day for lunch we went to an awesome little Italian art house / cafe on Gorriti between Arevalo and Ravignani, on the southeast side of the street, about mid-block. Can't remember the name, but if you get to that block, it has tremendous food. While we were eating, Amigo #1 got a call from his novia from the previous evening. His chica speaks a little English, and he speaks no Spanish. After a minute, he hands me the phone to try to make sense of what she's saying. She tells me she is moving apartments; she is almost finished; her friend is helping her and they will be at our house around 3:00 p. M. I understood most of what she was saying (not all) and kept saying "a las tres de la tarde" and repeating the address to our casa, "hasta pronto."

I thought she probably believed I didn't understand because Amigo #2's phone rang within a minute after I hung up with Amigo #1's novia. Amigo #2 also speaks no Spanish and just handed me the phone once he determined it was his novia from the night before. She asked when we were going to be at the casa. I said at "dos de la tarde," and she said she would be there at tres. I said "magnifico! Hasta pronto."

Great. The two of them were coming over at 3:00 -- or so I thought. But, it turns out that, when Novia #1 said she was coming over with her friend, she meant a totally different amiga than the girl that Amigo #2 was with the night before. When Novia #2 called Amigo #2 right after we hung up with Novia #1, it was a complete coincidence. Neither knew the other was calling and we later learned that these two gatas hate each other.

So, around 3:30 p. M. Our doorbell rings. Amigo #2 goes downstairs and there are three people there asking him questions in Spanish. He sends me down. It's Novia #1 with a very cute friend -- and some big dude. She explains that her friends have been helping her move to a new apartment and wants to know if her girlfriend can come up, as well. I wasn't sure what to think -- except her girlfriend was young and cute (see pictures) -- so I said "no problema." Then, she explained that the big dude was her friend's brother. He had also helped her move, and her friend's mom would not let her go anywhere with alcohol unless her brother came. She said he was her "security." The big dude spoke no English whatsoever but seemed friendly enough. I thought, perhaps, that Amigo #1 had pre-arranged for his Novia to bring a friend for me -- although the big dude didn't work with that scenario -- so I said "sure." I knew Novia #1 from previous trips, so she had some credibility.

The three of them came in. My other two Amigos were wondering what was going on at that point, and I was kind of looking at Amigo #1 for a similar explanation, but he didn't expect extra company either. We grabbed a bunch of beers and headed up to the sun deck. Within 5 minutes or so, Novia #2 arrived and the party was under way.

Everything immediately got awkward and interesting at the same time. So, we're up on this sundeck, it's 90 degrees and perfectly sunny, and we've got three beautiful chicas in bikinis frolicking about. What could be better? Except it's very weird. There's four dudes. One is supposed to be the third chica's brother / security. He's very deferential -- he doesn't want any beer, but he'll take one if you insist. He'll sit over in the corner and watch, but he'll try to engage a bit. The guy is truly built and could be security or even this chica's brother, but no one has really explained what the deal is. Plus, there's this weird dynamic between Chica #3 and the brother / security she brought. At various points, she's really giving him shit about his girlfriend who she characterizes as gorda and fea, and he's clearly getting pissed. She then starts to call him gay and she's razzing the hell out of the guy. At other times, she tells him to look away and "no dice mama," and she takes off her top and / or bikini bottoms for a bit.

She's sitting on everyone's lap at one point or another (with bikini back on) and insisting that everyone take pictures of her in various poses. The pictures I've attached don't do her justice as they were taken with a cheap iPhone camera, and I haven't even put up the best of them (because I'm in them) The gal is clearly a stunner, but she claims she's a pre-school teacher still living at home with her mom and not in the Profession.

After about two hours of this simultaneous flirtation / haze your brother / security, Novia #1 gets a telephone call. It seems she's forgotten to leave the keys to the apartment she just moved out of. She and security guy are going to drive back to the apartment to drop off the keys. Cool. That leaves us with baby sister and Novia #2. By this time, however, baby sister appears to be getting rather tipsy and it becomes somewhat apparent that she's on some kind of drug.

So, the other two leave and baby sister continues her act. She's flitting about asking everyone to take pictures of her, sitting on my and Amigo #1s laps, and she just can't sit still for more than 20 seconds. Novia #2 is gritting her teeth because she hates the rest of them, so she and Amigo #2 go downstairs and have at it.

Now, the apartment that Novia #1 moved out of is just 5 minutes away near Paraguay and Malabia. It shouldn't take them too long to drop off keys and come back -- especially since they were driving.

Meanwhile, Amigo #1 and I are chatting with Chica #3, salivating a bit but also somewhat perplexed. Amigo #1 has a girl -- and Chica #3 is supposed to be her best friend -- so he's interested but still a little gun shy. I'm intrigued, except so far the party line has been that this girl is not in the business, and her brother / security guy is a bit ominous. He's absent at this point, but they should be back in 5-10 minutes if all they're doing is dropping off keys.

15 minutes pass and they don't return. 30 minutes pass and they don't return. All the while, we're thinking they'll be back any second. Plus, Amigo #1 has given them the keys to our casa, so they can get back in by themselves. I chewed him out for this, but nothing bad ultimately happened and, as I mentioned, he'd been with Novia #1 several times before.

Eventually, I decide that she's too much for me -- young and hot, but clearly on something. She's started to grind her teeth and you can see the faintest of twitches every now and again. I'm out.

Amigo #1 goes down to the kitchen to get more beers. She follows him and, literally, corners him. As he describes it, the teeth grinding has become a bit more pronounced at that point, and she is talking a mile a minute -- mostly in Spanish which he doesn't understand. What he does understand is that she wants someone to bang her. She bends over and pulls down the bikini bottoms and tells him to take her. He thinks his friend and Chica #3's security will be back any second, open the door, shazam, instant chaos. She tells him to take the cola and don't worry about the globo. As he describes it, 'it took every ounce of energy I had to resist, and I still kick myself to this day.'

So, he doesn't bang her. I don't bang her. Another half hour passes and Novia #1 finally calls to say they are lost. Lost? It's 5 minutes away? At this point, Chica #3 changes from teeth-grinding and talkative to somewhat despondent. She's either upset that she didn't get banged, or the drugs are wearing off, or both. At any rate, she's now back up on the sundeck chatting away on her cell phone with friends and drinking champagne. She's gotten dressed again.

I'm still thinking about it but, given my last 24 hours, I'm not going to venture near. I'm just looking for one day of normalcy, and then I can turn back to weird. By this time, Amigo #2 and Novia #2 have re-emerged from the bedroom. Novia #2 is a bit drunk, and she's not a nice drunk. She wants us to kick Chica #3 to the curb, and she's razzing the hell out of Amigo #1 for being so stupid as to give Novia #1 his keys. To be fair, I started this, but this gal took it to a whole new level.

Another hour passes and Novia #1 still hasn't come back with Chica #3's brother / security. Eventually, Novia #2 gets loudmouthed enough that Amigo #2 sends her home. That leaves three dudes and one despondent, somewhat crazy and / or drug addled Chica #3. She's starting to get really sleepy at this point, and she's still somewhat drunk, so we suggest that perhaps it's time to go. At that point, her security / brother finally comes back -- sans Novia #1 -- with the keys. As near as I could tell with my limited Spanish, he apologizes. We tell him his sister is still on the sun roof. He goes up and walks her down, apologizes again, and they leave. She's clearly intoxicated at this point and in need of sleep, although she still did have all her teeth, so the grinding wasn't too bad.

That's a rather uneventful end to a rather weird story that concluded my first 24 hours in BA. We never did figure out what was up with all this. Was Chica #3 a pro? Sure seemed like it, but both she and her friend denied it. Was security dude really her brother? Sure seemed like it, but it was a bit odd that the guy left (and took Novia #1) with him. It was even weirder that they left on a 10-15 minute errand but stayed gone for 2 and a half hours. Had they given us advance notice of this, things would have turned out differently.

Our surmise was that Big Dude was her pimp, although he never let down his guard. He claimed he worked as security at the Italian Embassy guarding diplomats when they were in town. He said some other things that seemed to fit that profile, as well. He certainly was built well enough to be some sort of security. But, then he claimed that he used to be Maradonna's body guard five years back, and that didn't seem to add up. If he was her pimp, I would have expected Novia #1 to tip us off at some point. At a minimum, I would have expected that we would have gotten a price quote out of one of them -- Pimp, Novia #1 or Chica #3 -- or all of them. Never happened.

Another theory was that Big Dude was Novia #1's boyfriend. That would explain why they were gone for 2 and 1/2 hours, but it raises a bunch of other questions (like why bother coming over in the first place)

Perhaps everything was exactly as presented. Big Dude was security / brother to Chica #3. Chica #3 was a hot, young non-pro drug addled nymphomaniac who just has to have it. Her mom knows this, which is why she sent Brother / Big Dude / Security along for the ride. We never did figure it out.

For my part, I've still got Chica #3's e-mail and have traded a few with her. If she'll work without security, who knows what may happen next time? For some crank and a hundred pesos, a guy might be able to have a pretty good time. We'll see.

At any rate, this concludes my first-24-hours-in-BA trilogy. I wish I could say that I, or one of us or all of us banged the stuffing out of the little hottie, but we didn't. Had this been the first event after arriving in BA, it might have been different. But, after getting smacked around by chicas and rousted by the cops the day before, we had lost a bit of our collective edge. Pity, really, but that's why god made return trips.

Daddy Rulz
11-28-08, 20:37
You and all your friends must IMMEDIATLY surrender your man cards and spend 45 minutes a day for the next two weeks in the ball kicking machine for not nailing that fine piece of trade. A man that wouldn't risk an asskicking for hitting that in the ass needs to preform penance in order to call himself a man again.

So speaketh The Commish!

Stan Da Man
11-28-08, 20:47
Yep. I feel pretty bad about this one myself. I still have mongermares.;-)

Had this not occurred at the end of a very weird 24 hour period, I doubt there would have been any issues. At this point in the trip, however, I had just finished with the cops and Boxing Helena. My luck hadn't been good.

I hope to earn my monger card back next trip, Sir. As I mentioned, I'm trading e-mails with the little minx. Is there a monger purgatory?

You and all your friends must IMMEDIATLY surrender your man cards and spend 45 minutes a day for the next two weeks in the ball kicking machine for not nailing that fine piece of trade. A man that wouldn't risk an asskicking for hitting that in the ass needs to preform penance in order to call himself a man again.

So speaketh The Commish!

Snowbird
11-28-08, 23:18
Just breaking. The funeral services for Stan Da Man and his compatriots will be held on Monday in Minnesota. It seems while vacationing in Buenos Aires one of the gentleman loaned his building keys to someone they barely knew who borrowed them on the pretext of getting something from another apartment that was five minutes away. It is now known that in the over thirty plus minutes that the unknown parties were gone they were at a local lock smith getting copies of the keys. The assailants attacked them early one morning as they lay sleeping after the night out. Taken was all of their cash, credit cards, cell phones, computers, and cameras.

May they rest in peace.

Of all the things I would be worried about would not be that I did not hit the ass of some drug crazed chica who if she has her brother watching her might just be underage. It would be I gave them the keys to my building. I apologize for writing this in the crtic free zone....just wanted to point the hazards of what we sometime do can come back and bite us in the ass.

Tessan
11-28-08, 23:42
If that guy did make keys, probably the next person renting the place, might get robbed. Landlords don't change cylinders, between rentals.

Exon123
11-29-08, 03:11
Just breaking. The funeral services for Stan Da Man and his compatriots will be held on Monday in Minnesota. It seems while vacationing in Buenos Aires one of the gentleman loaned his building keys to someone they barely knew who borrowed them on the pretext of getting something from another apartment that was five minutes away. It is now known that in the over thirty plus minutes that the unknown parties were gone they were at a local lock smith getting copies of the keys. The assailants attacked them early one morning as they lay sleeping after the night out. Taken was all of their cash, credit cards, cell phones, computers, and cameras.

May they rest in peace.

Of all the things I would be worried about would not be that I did not hit the ass of some drug crazed chica who if she has her brother watching her might just be underage. It would be I gave them the keys to my building. I apologize for writing this in the crtic free zone. Just wanted to point the hazards of what we sometime do can come back and bite us in the ass.Great Post,

There something we can all learn from this.

Exon

Daddy Rulz
11-29-08, 11:19
You have somewhat redeemed yourself by posting that fine pic on the balcony, it proves you were not a bunch of fags.

As the commercial goes, I have conferred with myself and decided to commute the ball kicking portion of the sentence. However before re-instating your collective man cards it has been determined that each of you must tap no less than then 3 chicas of similar quality (albeit sans drug addledness or psycho big brother / pimp) before said cards can be returned.

The Commish is compassionate as well as wise.

Disclaimer: While this may be posted in the "no critic" zone, I (the commish) have determined that the above ball busting is in good humor so no violation has occured.

Stan Da Man
11-29-08, 13:08

May they rest in peace.Well, there's sage advice and then there's theater of the absurd. Being able to spot the difference is important.

The above falls into the latter category, for a variety of reasons.

First, it ignores the deadbolt that you throw when you're in the place. You can't unlock that from the outside. That doesn't help when you're out and about, but it dampens the mass murder scenario posited by the guy from Minnesota.

Second, the mass murder scenario can happen with or without keys. Gunmen follow you into your building from a parked car out front. Gunmen emerge from the shadows of the neighbor's entry way just after / as you're opening the door. Gunmen get let in by a chica you've taken home. Gunmen show up with a pizza box and when you open the door to tell them you didn't order any, you're accosted.

The point is: There are a million scenarios where the masked gunmen somehow kill everyone in the room. It doesn't happen. That's why it's theater of the absurd.

I agree that giving out the keys wasn't a bright move. That's why, as I indicated, I gave this particular individual (who easily should have known better) a ration of shit. But, in his defense: (a) we knew the girl; (be) we knew where she works; (c) we knew where she used to live and where she just moved to; and (d) we knew someone else at Black who also knew her. True, that doesn't help in the mass murder scenario, but the mass murder scenario is fantasy land. You may as well speculate that these same mass murderers, with the taste of blood fresh on their tongues, immediately boarded a plane for Mumbai to continue the spree. For the want of a nail.

Stan Da Man
11-29-08, 13:12
You have somewhat redeemed yourself by posting that fine pic on the balcony, it proves you were not a bunch of fags.

As the commercial goes, I have conferred with myself and decided to commute the ball kicking portion of the sentence. However before re-instating your collective man cards it has been determined that each of you must tap no less than then 3 chicas of similar quality (albeit sans drug addledness or psycho big brother / pimp) before said cards can be returned.

The Commish is compassionate as well as wise.

Disclaimer: While this may be posted in the "no critic" zone, I (the commish) have determined that the above ball busting is in good humor so no violation has occured.You are compassionate as well as wise, O Commish. We will get to work on this right away. I assume pictures will be required, yes?

QuakHunter
11-29-08, 14:02
Well, there's sage advice and then there's theater of the absurd.Though Daddy Ruiz is wise like King Solomon, Chapter VII, Line 3, subsection (a) of the Man Code says that anyone who uses the term "Theater of the Absurd" when talking about Chica problems deserves at least one kick in the balls.

In the immortal words of Yul Brynner in his position as Pharoah, "So let it be written, so let it be done".

Of course the sentence is suspended due to the fine ass pictures you posted.

But Dude, never let a guy in with any Chica. Two things can happen (1) you Tie, (2) you lose. You can't win.

Besides, if the cops from the other night saw the guy leaving your apartment rumours might start.

El Perro
11-29-08, 14:09
For the want of a nail.Nice one. If you get ahold of that little whacked out chippie next time your in town, give me a call.

Snowbird
11-30-08, 00:24
First, it ignores the deadbolt that you throw when you're in the place.Ok. The likelyhood that you would be truly harmed is remote.

1st. On the absurd point I have got you by your knickers.

Who is throwing the dead bold at night?

You are relying on the same guy who gave the chica the keys?

Good luck there.

2nd. Letting a chica in who needs her brother to watch her would not happen with most of the members of this board. They would have kicked her to the curb along with her supposed brother. Oh and she appears to be high on something? She has a sudden reaction to her drug of choice. You being the gentleman you are summon the medics. Let's see the police come...you have women who work in a hooker club with you...a underage chica has passed out from a drug overdose. Can we say you would have a lot of explaining to do?

3rd. I know of to many situations where guys swear up and down I know her and I know where she works.

Let's see she works as a hooker in a club.

Oh I would take that one to the bank!

I am pointing out the obivious flaw of your group decision making.

Yeah the pics of the chica are great.

Keep doing these things and one day it will catch up to you.

Heck don't do these things and it can catch up to you.

Trouble can find you no matter what...just don't give it the keys to the door.

Mind you we all have made mistakes.

We learn from them, even if they have not bitten us in the ass.

Tessan
11-30-08, 01:51
The mostly like scenario is not that they come in with guns, but that they ring the bell, if not one answers, then they enter with the keys they made, and steal anything that they can find in the place. Most people leave laptops and money in there place. The next guy renting the place might get robbed.

Exon123
11-30-08, 03:08
"With The Key's"

They'd just "Stake Out The Place", wait until everyone leaves for dinner or something.

Unlock the door, and you'd be lucky if they left you with a change of underware.

Exon

Stan Da Man
11-30-08, 20:15
OK all you hennypennies, thanks for your sage advice. The truth is: What's most likely to happen is exactly what did happen -- absolutely nothing.

If you believe that BA is full of mass murderers with guns just looking for a chance to steal a laptop, camera and / or cash, or shoot you in your sleep, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T GO THERE. If he doesn't get your keys, the boogeyman will still find a way to get you. Stay home. Keep your tin hats on. Don't open the door. Whatever you do, don't travel, and NEVER TRUST ANYONE. They're all like that -- them foreigners. If they don't kill you in your sleep, they'll lurk about until you go to dinner and steal everything except your underwear. Since I don't wear underwear, that means they'll have everything I've got.

For those who suggest that giving out the keys wasn't a particularly wise idea, I'm with you. From the original post:

15 minutes pass and they don't return. 30 minutes pass and they don't return. All the while, we're thinking they'll be back any second. Plus, Amigo #1 has given them the keys to our casa, so they can get back in by themselves. I chewed him out for this, but nothing bad ultimately happened and, as I mentioned, he'd been with Novia #1 several times before.

By this time, Amigo #2 and Novia #2 have re-emerged from the bedroom. Novia #2 is a bit drunk, and she's not a nice drunk. She wants us to kick Chica #3 to the curb, and she's razzing the hell out of Amigo #1 for being so stupid as to give Novia #1 his keys. To be fair, I started this, but this gal took it to a whole new level.Suggesting that someone could have come in and robbed everything but our underwear just demonstrates that you have a remarkable capacity to point out the abundantly obvious. Plus, if I did wear underwear, I bet they'd steal that, too.

Sorry to have made a mockery of the critic free zone. Truth is, I don't really mind the hazing. I gave a dose of it to my comrade when he gave out the keys, so you can send some back my way if need be. But, you get points for creativity. Snowbird, you're in the lead so far.

Daddy Rulz
11-30-08, 20:24
Keep your tin hats on.How did you find out about the hat God damn it?

Argento
11-30-08, 20:35
OK all you hennypennies, thanks for your sage advice. The truth is: What's most likely to happen is exactly what did happen -- absolutely nothing.

If you believe that BA is full of mass murderers with guns just looking for a chance to steal a laptop, camera and / or cash, or shoot you in your sleep, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T GO THERE. If he doesn't get your keys, the boogeyman will still find a way to get you. Stay home. Keep your tin hats on. Don't open the door. Whatever you do, don't travel, and NEVER TRUST ANYONE. They're all like that -- them foreigners. If they don't kill you in your sleep, they'll lurk about until you go to dinner and steal everything except your underwear. Since I don't wear underwear, that means they'll have everything I've got.

For those who suggest that giving out the keys wasn't a particularly wise idea, I'm with you. From the original post:

Suggesting that someone could have come in and robbed everything but our underwear just demonstrates that you have a remarkable capacity to point out the abundantly obvious. Plus, if I did wear underwear, I bet they'd steal that, too.

Sorry to have made a mockery of the critic free zone. Truth is, I don't really mind the hazing. I gave a dose of it to my comrade when he gave out the keys, so you can send some back my way if need be. But, you get points for creativity. Snowbird, you're in the lead so far.Chacarita and in ye olden times, la Recoleta are full of smart asses who under-rate the risk of loose security in Buenos Aires. Just because they appear white and European doesn't mean they share a common value system with North Americans. In Greater Buenos Aires, there is an armed robbery every 3 minutes. And these are the reported ones. Multiply it by a minimum of 3 for the real figure. Life is cheap; 10 police a week are shot at, 30 murders during the course of a robbery per week and who knows the reality. But it is plenty. So don't be too smug and make light of what could have happened. Stupid decisions by your pals, that you acquiesce with, can cost you your life here. The history books are writ large with "I didn't know the gun was loaded". It's an 'edgy' place and that is an attraction, but the risks are big as well.

Argento

Stan Da Man
11-30-08, 22:33
Good recitation of supposed stats. Let's see some sources to back it up. Country crime statistics according to:

1. The United Nations - Murder per capita http://www.nationmaster.com/red/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita&int=-1 (Argentina doesn't even make the top 62; the U.S. is 24th. Argentina does report. If you search by total rather than per capita, they show up. The numbers just aren't high enough to get in the top 62)

2. The United Nations - Assaults per capita http://www.nationmaster.com/red/graph/cri_ass_percap-crime-assaults-per-capita&int=-1 (Argentina doesn't make the list; the U.S. is 6th; again, Argentina is included since it shows up when you run total assaults; it just doesn't have enough to crack the top 57 per capita)

3. The World Statistics Pocket Book - Murder per capita http://data.un.org/CountryProfile.aspx?crName=Argentina (Argentina is at 7.3 per 100,000; U.S. is at 6.1; so Argentina is more murderous according to this source, but not appreciably so)

4. Here are the top 10 U.S. cities if you scroll down in this report, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States My city is almost double that of Argentina at its worst (World Statistics Pocketbook rank) and triple the UN numbers. Nonetheless, I feel quite safe. Admittedly, I'm comparing apples and oranges when the comparison is city data to country data. My point is that even if BA's rate is twice that of the rest of Argentina (and it couldn't be much more given the population ratio of city vs. Country as a whole) then it's no more dangerous than where I live. I've also been (many times) to places that truly are more dangerous, e. G. Sao Paulo, so I'm not just throwing caution to the wind.

My point isn't that there's no danger in BA. I've been there. Parts are dangerous. Not where I was staying as of earlier this month, but other parts. So are parts of Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, New York, Miami and every other major metropolitan area in the U. S. I've lived in several of those cities, as well.

Sure, one can say that all the stats are bogus because Argentina doesn't report properly. But, then we're just left with anecdotes and arguments.

If the stats are meaningful at all, there's one conclusion: Henny Penny.

Chacarita and in ye olden times, la Recoleta are full of smart asses who under-rate the risk of loose security in Buenos Aires. Just because they appear white and European doesn't mean they share a common value system with North Americans. In Greater Buenos Aires, there is an armed robbery every 3 minutes. And these are the reported ones. Multiply it by a minimum of 3 for the real figure. Life is cheap; 10 police a week are shot at, 30 murders during the course of a robbery per week and who knows the reality. But it is plenty. So don't be too smug and make light of what could have happened. Stupid decisions by your pals, that you acquiesce with, can cost you your life here. The history books are writ large with "I didn't know the gun was loaded". It's an 'edgy' place and that is an attraction, but the risks are big as well.

Argento

Rainot
12-01-08, 03:20
Nonsense, quit arguing Stan Da Man. You just got lucky they didn't break in no sooner had you guys left the building. Next time you do this, trusting hoes and probable pimps, you won't run the same luck, you can bet on it.

This is Buenos Aires, not "interior". You can find more trustworthy people in the countryside, but not in Capital Federal. Try not to learn it "the hard way";)

Argento
12-01-08, 07:01
Good recitation of supposed stats. Let's see some sources to back it up. Country crime statistics according to:

1. The United Nations - Murder per capita http://www.nationmaster.com/red/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita&int=-1 (Argentina doesn't even make the top 62; the U.S. is 24th. Argentina does report. If you search by total rather than per capita, they show up. The numbers just aren't high enough to get in the top 62)

2. The United Nations - Assaults per capita http://www.nationmaster.com/red/graph/cri_ass_percap-crime-assaults-per-capita&int=-1 (Argentina doesn't make the list; the U.S. is 6th; again, Argentina is included since it shows up when you run total assaults; it just doesn't have enough to crack the top 57 per capita)

3. The World Statistics Pocket Book - Murder per capita http://data.un.org/CountryProfile.aspx?crName=Argentina (Argentina is at 7.3 per 100,000; U.S. is at 6.1; so Argentina is more murderous according to this source, but not appreciably so)

4. Here are the top 10 U.S. cities if you scroll down in this report, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States My city is almost double that of Argentina at its worst (World Statistics Pocketbook rank) and triple the UN numbers. Nonetheless, I feel quite safe. Admittedly, I'm comparing apples and oranges when the comparison is city data to country data. My point is that even if BA's rate is twice that of the rest of Argentina (and it couldn't be much more given the population ratio of city vs. Country as a whole) then it's no more dangerous than where I live. I've also been (many times) to places that truly are more dangerous, e. G. Sao Paulo, so I'm not just throwing caution to the wind.

My point isn't that there's no danger in BA. I've been there. Parts are dangerous. Not where I was staying as of earlier this month, but other parts. So are parts of Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, New York, Miami and every other major metropolitan area in the U. S. I've lived in several of those cities, as well.

Sure, one can say that all the stats are bogus because Argentina doesn't report properly. But, then we're just left with anecdotes and arguments.

If the stats are meaningful at all, there's one conclusion: Henny Penny.
Like I said, a smart arse. My figures are straight out of the local headlines and are current to about a month. And for the Federal Capital and Greater Buenos Aires, not Argentina per se.

Argento

El Perro
12-01-08, 09:02
A smart, articulate monger posts a funny story about his experiences in Buenos Aires, and it takes no time to degenerate into another tired fucking debate about the pros and cons of Argentina, which country has more crime, etc. Don't you fuckers ever get tired of beating up the same old thing?

Jackson
12-01-08, 10:45
Greetings everyone,

FYI, here's how The Critic-Free Zone works: The member who started the thread may request to have any post or posts deleted from the thread at any time, said requests to be made via the "Report Post to Moderator" link in the bottom left corner of every post.

Stan Da Man, it's your decision.

Thanks,

Jackson

El Perro
12-01-08, 11:00
Greetings everyone,

FYI, here's how The Critic-Free Zone works: The member who started the thread may request to have any post or posts deleted from the thread at any time, said requests to be made via the "Report Post to Moderator" link in the bottom left corner of every post.

Stan Da Man, it's your decision.

Thanks,

JacksonSame here-I forgot this was the critic free zone, though I stand by my complaints about the complainers.:)

Stan Da Man
12-01-08, 18:55
Naaaah. It's okay. Truth is, I posted in the Critic Free Zone only because I really didn't know where else to put it. I probably should have looked for a more appropriate place and then let the critics have at it without any qualms. Doesn't look like too many were deterred anyway.

Argento, I take it from your lack of sources that you have none. Saying things are straight out of the local headlines doesn't get us anywhere, does it? All newspapers, even those in BA, have searchable online sections, unless its a publication that's too obscure to matter.

I'll let your lack of any sources be the telltale sign of who's really smug here.

At any rate, we can disagree about how dangerous BA really is. We can all agree that giving the keys out was not a wise decision. I just don't agree with some of those who have taken this to extremes, especially given the circumstances. That's okay. I wanted to post some of my experiences in BA. If you've read any of these three posts, I hope you'll at least agree that I've not tried to self-aggrandize anything or make myself or my comrades look good if to do so would be to paint them / us in a false light. If anything, I've tried to be brutally honest (while changing names to protect the innocent) even where I knew we blundered and even where I knew there would be critics.

I don't mind the jabs. I just hope you don't mind if I jab back a bit when I think it's unfair. All's good. I've learned a lot from you all and will continue to do so in the future. I just thought I'd try to contribute a bit to a very interesting discussion forum, and now I'll set to work plotting on how to get my monger card back. Cheers!

Like I said, a smart arse. My figures are straight out of the local headlines and are current to about a month. And for the Federal Capital and Greater Buenos Aires, not Argentina per se.

Argento

Exon123
12-01-08, 20:51
Stan Da Man,

I'd like to suggest to you to read Jacksons report on Irina. And to keep in mind that "Hobbying" can be a very dangerous sport, especially in Buenos Aires.

Here it is enjoy.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/announcement-irina.php

Exon

Hunt99
12-01-08, 21:00
I have spent days and even weeks in the company of certain hookers. I am reasonably sure they are honest, and I know they're not wacked-out on some chemical compound.

However, I would never let any of them have a key to my flat. Not even my proverbial "hookers with hearts of gold."

Stan Da Man
12-02-08, 01:58
Ex,

I read that long, long ago, before my very first trip to Argentina. You know what's most noteworthy about it? That it is one of the only reports on this board -- a board filled with reports on encounters with chicas -- where anyone recounted anything about a chica robbing or attempting to rob anyone.

So, in your own small way, I thank you for proving my point. It's very rare that chicas turn out to be crooks or, at worst, the folks on here who encounter them tend not to report on these experiences, even though they report on all the others.

Thanks, Ex. That is my point exactly. No one ever claimed there is no crime in BA. I claimed only that it is far more rare than many of the Henny Pennies would have you believe. To anyone who has read much of this board, that post is a great example of just how infrequently chicas turn out to be crooks.

Stan Da Man,

I'd like to suggest to you to read Jacksons report on Irina. And to keep in mind that "Hobbying" can be a very dangerous sport, especially in Buenos Aires.

Here it is enjoy.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/announcement-irina.php

Exon

Sinistra
12-02-08, 08:03
Ex, I read that long, long ago, before my very first trip to Argentina. You know what's most noteworthy about it? That it is one of the only reports on this board -- a board filled with reports on encounters with chicas -- where anyone recounted anything about a chica robbing or attempting to rob anyone.Once as I buzzed Astryd to let me out, she told me that I had dropped my money clip and that I should come up and get it. Also, I once handed Ayi some cash, but a couple of 100 peso notes were stuck together. I didn't notice but she let me know and returned it. There are bad people, but they aren't *all* crack addicts and cutthroats.

Jackson
12-02-08, 14:14
That it is one of the only reports on this board -- a board filled with reports on encounters with chicas -- where anyone recounted anything about a chica robbing or attempting to rob anyone.Hi Stan,

While I don't believe that there's a crime wave going on, I have know of a number of similar "incidences" in the past several years. Unfortunately, in every case the victim was always reluctant to make a report to either the authorities or this forum, generally out of concern for their own personal embarrassment.

That's why I (Note: not the victim) wrote the Irina story.

Thanks,

Jackson