PDA

View Full Version : Can I get an Argentinian motorbike license?

Mejorahora
12-28-08, 19:20
Hi Guys,

I am a British citizen living in Argentina on a 1 year steady income visa which gives me temporary residency status (I think). I have a full UK car driving license and I want to buy a 400cc motorbike here to do a tour of the country.

Has anone had an experience of taking a motorbike test in Argentina to obtain an full Argentinian motorbike license? Is it possible as a foreigner? Do I need a DNI? Are there any other obstacles I should be aware of?

Cheers for any replies.

Seaman
12-28-08, 19:34
You will need a DNI.

I inquired about the same, and the answer was simple. It is easier to go to a country (home country? Where you can get your license then trying to get it here if you do not have a DNI.

Mejorahora
12-28-08, 19:43
I had a feeling that may be the case. I think I am gonna apply for my DNI tomorrow and see if that alone is enough to allow me to take the test and get a license.

Thomaso276
12-29-08, 08:30
I would go by the Auto Club (ACA) on Libertador for more specifics, including classes for your license. I think it's ACA.com.ar

Daddy Rulz
12-29-08, 16:11
Just carry a couple of these they have always worked for me.

QuakHunter
12-29-08, 16:48
Just carry a couple of these they have always worked for me.I never noticed before that Paul Giamatti was on Argentine Currency. He has since shaved his beard.

Gandolf50
12-29-08, 22:23
No one else has a license so why do you need one? I have been using my US liscense for five years without a problem. I would not worry about it.

Mejorahora
12-29-08, 23:21
No one else has a license so why do you need one? I have been using my US liscense for five years without a problem. I would not worry about it.I know that I can use my UK car driving license here when driving a car, and I have done so on many occasions. But I cannot drive a motorbike above 125cc with my car license in the UK so I am pretty sure that I cannot here either.

I am just a bit worried about the insurance implications. I have been told that insurance cover requires you to be licensed for the vehicle you are driving, if not the insurance is invalid. This could be a problem.

Daddy Rulz
12-30-08, 00:16
Buy a car, get insurance, get in a wreck, have the claim denied.

Thomaso276
12-30-08, 08:08
Check with ACA or join the auto club in your home area and then use the membership here.

Thomaso276
12-30-08, 08:10
Here is the web page for ACA. You see their trucks around all the time repairing broken down cars in traffic!

http://www.aca.org.ar/

Facundo
12-31-08, 08:30
Hi Guys,

I am a British citizen living in Argentina on a 1 year steady income visa which gives me temporary residency status (I think) I have a full UK car driving license and I want to buy a 400cc motorbike here to do a tour of the country.

Has anone had an experience of taking a motorbike test in Argentina to obtain an full Argentinian motorbike license? Is it possible as a foreigner? Do I need a DNI? Are there any other obstacles I should be aware of?

Cheers for any replies.Here are a few things you should know regarding getting a motorbike license in Argentina:

1. You do not need the DNI to get a Class A Motorbike license, there are different classes of licenses (auto is class B1)

2. The visa and previous license will do (license will expire with the expiration of the visa)

3. You have to take a 3 hour theoretical driving class offered free at the registry of motor vehicle,

4. There is a 30 question test you have take. The questions and answers are on the internet. You do not have to take the actual driving test.

5. Documents you will need:

Passport with the visa, residency certificate (certificado de residencia) that you can get at your local police station, libreto de deuda (this is gotten at the registry of motor vehicles in 5 minutos)

6. Read my previous post regarding the steps to take in acquiring a license in Argentina (Acquiring a driving license post number 134)

I'm currently on a one year South American tour and I've been stopped numerous times by the police. They do check your license, insurance, and they will look at closely the registration of the auto or bike. Also, make sure you get from your insurance the insurance certificate to travel in and out of Mercosur countries. Since you are a British Citizen, make sure you get your visas in order before traveling to countries like Paraguay and Brazil.

Since I'm on the road it's difficult to get you more specific information. By the way, there are now community based registry of motor vehicles (there is one in Recolota) so you don't have to go all the way to Lugano.

Suerte.

Seaman
01-03-09, 13:52
The link to the government website regarding licenses:

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas/obr_publicas/lic_conducir/licencias.php?menu_id=6533

Mejorahora
01-28-09, 22:15
Here are a few things you should know regarding getting a motorbike license in Argentina:

1. You do not need the DNI to get a Class A Motorbike license, there are different classes of licenses (auto is class B1)

2. The visa and previous license will do (license will expire with the expiration of the visa)

3. You have to take a 3 hour theoretical driving class offered free at the registry of motor vehicle,

4. There is a 30 question test you have take. The questions and answers are on the internet. You do not have to take the actual driving test.

5. Documents you will need:

Passport with the visa, residency certificate (certificado de residencia) that you can get at your local police station, libreto de deuda (this is gotten at the registry of motor vehicles in 5 minutos)

6. Read my previous post regarding the steps to take in acquiring a license in Argentina (Acquiring a driving license post number 134)

I'm currently on a one year South American tour and I've been stopped numerous times by the police. They do check your license, insurance, and they will look at closely the registration of the auto or bike. Also, make sure you get from your insurance the insurance certificate to travel in and out of Mercosur countries. Since you are a British Citizen, make sure you get your visas in order before traveling to countries like Paraguay and Brazil.

Since I'm on the road it's difficult to get you more specific information. By the way, there are now community based registry of motor vehicles (there is one in Recolota) so you don't have to go all the way to Lugano.

Suerte.Thanks for the info Facundo. It is all spot on! I however couldn't be arsed to take the class, exam and driving test etc and opted for the coima approach. For the sum of 200 pesos I now have a fully legal 'residente extranjero' driving license for motorbikes of any size and car.

Disclaimer: I do not condone the paying of bribes to procur a driving license. It is unethical, wrong and I am a very naughty boy!

Whiskas
01-30-09, 02:13
He who haveth the money maketh the rules. Oh man take it easy greasing hands is just the way things are done in Lat. Am. And many other places including developed countries, but in some cases the fees are much higher and usually invisible when you try to do business. Say a Hail Mary, have a snack and bang a Ho.