PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Japanese Restaurants in Recoleta?

Jackjack1
01-14-09, 16:04
Japanese, sushi? I'm planning on a trip there in March or April, any recommendations?

Jack

El Perro
01-14-09, 17:22
Japanese, sushi? I'm planning on a trip there in March or April, any recommendations?

JackThere are some decent restaurants, but for the umpteen billioneth time-NO! There is no fucking decent sushi in BsAs. No matter what you hear somebody say-the answer is NO! I have researched it A to Z, discussed it with long time japanese folks who are Argentine residents, and-NO-there is no decent sushi in Buenos Aires. There is not sufficient demand for anyone to go to the trouble of acquiring anything other than whitefish and salmon. Periodically you will hear a story that somebody had some tuna in. I personally have never seen real tuna, much less yellowtail, grouper or anything other than the usual fare. If you plan on eating a variety of sushi in BA-forget it!

El Perro
01-14-09, 17:43
I want to make sure that it is clear that the irritable tone in my post below has everything to do with the sushi issue in BsAs, and nothing to do with Jackjack1, who I am sure is a wonderful individual. I also apologize for the lack of appropriate punctuation in the previous, likely run on, sentence.

I am also really, really pissed off at Al Gore and this whole global warming thing and I want to torture Tipper.

Daddy Rulz
01-14-09, 19:22
There are some decent restaurants, but for the umpteen billioneth time-NO! There is no fucking decent sushi in BsAs. No matter what you hear somebody say-the answer is NO! I have researched it A to Z, discussed it with long time japanese folks who are Argentine residents, and-NO-there is no decent sushi in Buenos Aires. There is not sufficient demand for anyone to go to the trouble of acquiring anything other than whitefish and salmon. Periodically you will hear a story that somebody had some tuna in. I personally have never seen real tuna, much less yellowtail, grouper or anything other than the usual fare. If you plan on eating a variety of sushi in BA-forget it!Before I understood about the appaling lack of Sushi in BsAs I found a servicable Japanese place off of Cramer in Colegiales. It had Tuna, Salmon (of course) Roe, squid, eel, you name it. In addition they had good tempura and terriaki chicken as well. As this was my first try at Sushi in BsAs and I hit a winner I figured there would be an abundance, little did I know.

It is / was (a few years ago, could be closed) between Cabildo and Cramer on either Virrey del Pino or La Pampa perhaps between Ciudad la Paz and Amenabar. It is a small house on the right hand of the street set back in a courtyard which at night has Japanese lanterns. There are rice paper screens and tatami mats inside, the mosas wear kimonos. The eats were good but not cheap, the service impecable.

Like I said, I didn't realize the treasure I had found so I didn't save the location on the hard drive but rather left in ram. I am certain it is between Cabildo and Cramer, I am pretty sure the street runs in the direction from Cramer to Cabildo. I am certain it is not past Jurimento and I am certain it is off of Cramer once it changes from a side street to an Avenue.

I know this sounds like a treasure map to the lost Incan fortune and I wish I could give you better directions but I did a shitload of drugs in the 70s and this is the best I can do.

Jackjack1
01-14-09, 19:23
Sorry, newbie to the ongoings in Buenos Aires. Thanks for the response, I should bring some killer hamachi or toro down with me haha. We can have a sushi party with some chicas!

Jack

Daddy Rulz
01-14-09, 19:34
Sorry, newbie to the ongoings in Buenos Aires. Thanks for the response, I should bring some killer hamachi or toro down with me haha. We can have a sushi party with some chicas!

JackAvoid Sushi in Puerto Madero, your choices are salmon with cream cheese, salmon with cream cheese, salmon with cream cheese, and of course for variety salmon with cream cheese.

Ditch the sushi idea and clog your arteries with the fat of a 1000 vacas.

El Perro
01-14-09, 19:43
Before I understood about the appaling lack of Sushi in BsAs I found a servicable Japanese place off of Cramer in Colegiales. It had Tuna, Salmon (of course) Roe, squid, eel, you name it. In addition they had good tempura and terriaki chicken as well. As this was my first try at Sushi in BsAs and I hit a winner I figured there would be an abundance, little did I know.

It is / was (a few years ago, could be closed) between Cabildo and Cramer on either Virrey del Pino or La Pampa perhaps between Ciudad la Paz and Amenabar. It is a small house on the right hand of the street set back in a courtyard which at night has Japanese lanterns. There are rice paper screens and tatami mats inside, the mosas wear kimonos. The eats were good but not cheap, the service impecable.

Like I said, I didn't realize the treasure I had found so I didn't save the location on the hard drive but rather left in ram. I am certain it is between Cabildo and Cramer, I am pretty sure the street runs in the direction from Cramer to Cabildo. I am certain it is not past Jurimento and I am certain it is off of Cramer once it changes from a side street to an Avenue.

I know this sounds like a treasure map to the lost Incan fortune and I wish I could give you better directions but I did a shitload of drugs in the 70s and this is the best I can do.Ok my friend, I'll take your word for it, but this sounds like an acid flashback to me!

Daddy Rulz
01-14-09, 19:51
Ok my friend, I'll take your word for it, but this sounds like an acid flashback to me!I have never drawn anything but a sober breath in La Republica, I promise you it was there, I took Sofi there for dinner.

Juramento why Cabildo is one of the PRIME chica watching spots in the city, if you're really jonesing for raw fish it was worth a quarting search.

Rock Harders
01-14-09, 19:53
Mongers,

Actually, there is a DECENT, not excellent, sushi restaurant in Buenos Aires; it is called Irifune and it is located on Paraguay between Reconquista and San Martin. It is owned by an actual Japanese guy who is usually onsite behind the sushi bar. They almost always have actual yellowfin tuna (red in color) and their food is quite good, although much more expensive than any other sushi place in Buenos Aires that I have been to. I go to this place about once a week (maybe 20 times in all) so this is no "acid flashback". I believe Irifune is ranked 1 or 2 on the guiaoleo. Com website.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

El Perro
01-14-09, 19:57
Mongers,

Actually, there is a DECENT, not excellent, sushi restaurant in Buenos Aires; it is called Irifune and it is located on Paraguay between Reconquista and San Martin. It is owned by an actual Japanese guy who is usually onsite behind the sushi bar. They almost always have actual yellowfin tuna (red in color) and their food is quite good, although much more expensive than any other sushi place in Buenos Aires that I have been to. I go to this place about once a week (maybe 20 times in all) so this is no "acid flashback". I believe Irifune is ranked 1 or 2 on the guiaoleo. Com website.

Suerte,

Rock HardersLooks like ol Doggboy is going to have to eat some crow, but I would prefer that yellowfin. Off to Irifune.

TejanoLibre
01-14-09, 20:43
Mongers,

Suerte,

Rock HardersI have been there a few times and the food was good enough but I must have all you can eat sushi.

I do not like to pay $370.00 pesos and walk out hungry!

They had the fucking heaters on in Sept.

Paid a lot of money to sweat my ass off!

Service was bad. Most likely because I was very loud and obnoxious due to the lack of air-conditioning.

Find out who provides the sushi to the Japanese embassy / embassador's parties amd you will find the best dead fish fuck in town!

See You.

TL

Jackjack1
01-15-09, 00:36
Arigato fellow mongers!

Jack

ComeOnDown
01-15-09, 01:59
Before I understood about the appaling lack of Sushi in BsAs I found a servicable Japanese place off of Cramer in Colegiales. It had Tuna, Salmon (of course) Roe, squid, eel, you name it. In addition they had good tempura and terriaki chicken as well. As this was my first try at Sushi in BsAs and I hit a winner I figured there would be an abundance, little did I know.

I know this sounds like a treasure map to the lost Incan fortune and I wish I could give you better directions but I did a shitload of drugs in the 70s and this is the best I can do.Daddy,

Yes, you are not halucinating, it does exist and I believe the restaurant you are referring to is KITAYAMA. I have eaten here several times and yes it has more variety compared to the average Japanese restaurants scattered all over the city. However, quality and variety comes at a cost and KITAYAMA is more expensive than the average Japanese restaurant.

Address: Virrey del Pino 2448

Between Cabildo and Ciudad de la Paz.

Belgrano C

Nearest subway stop is J. Hernandez of the D (green) Line

Tel. No.: 4788-9955

If possible, call and make reservations as it is not that big of a place.

El Perro
01-15-09, 02:08
So, I tried Irifune tonight. Well, they have tuna and the wasabi was fresh and potent. After that, not impressive. I had the chirashi for 52p. I have had chirashi in many countries, and it changes some no matter where you are, but generally the same. It should be enough food so you are relatively full. I could have eaten three or maybe four of these at Irifune. Very thin slices of fish on a very thin bed of rice. Yes, tuna, in extremely thin slices, with the obligatory salmon and whitefish. Some egg. A small Asahi at 15p.

I'm not surprised and still maintain that the sushi in BA sucks hind tit. I bet Rock Harders has to spend 200-300p here to get anywhere near full, if he is doing just sushi.

Marion70
01-15-09, 17:17
The best Japanese restaurant is away from downtown. It is really original Japanese food and sushi. Yuki.

Address: Pasco 740 - Ciudad de Buenos Aires Tel: 4942-7510

Cheers,

Enjoy

Marion70
01-15-09, 17:26
There are some decent restaurants, but for the umpteen billioneth time-NO! There is no fucking decent sushi in BsAs. No matter what you hear somebody say-the answer is NO! I have researched it A to Z, discussed it with long time japanese folks who are Argentine residents, and-NO-there is no decent sushi in Buenos Aires. There is not sufficient demand for anyone to go to the trouble of acquiring anything other than whitefish and salmon. Periodically you will hear a story that somebody had some tuna in. I personally have never seen real tuna, much less yellowtail, grouper or anything other than the usual fare. If you plan on eating a variety of sushi in BA-forget it!Try Yuki, don't be ass. It was recommend it by the Japanese embassy, but maybe you know more that the Japanese people themselves.

Cheers

Daddy Rulz
01-15-09, 17:52
Try Yuki, don't be ass. It was recommend it by the Japanese embassy, but maybe you know more that the Japanese people themselves.

CheersThis is the second post for this tool. He shoots off his mouth without knowing the subject, anybody who knows Dogg understands that he was venting a bit, but in a good natured way. Of all the mongers who post on this board Dogg is most likely one of the most affable, well regarded and tolerant of people.

If Exon can't call this tool a cocksucker, well, well, that just like what's happened to Nascar since Ironhead died. Nothing but PC caca.

Mis dos centavos.

El Perro
01-15-09, 18:25
This is the second post for this tool. He shoots off his mouth without knowing the subject, anybody who knows Dogg understands that he was venting a bit, but in a good natured way. Of all the mongers who post on this board Dogg is most likely one of the most affable, well regarded and tolerant of people.

If Exon can't call this tool a cocksucker, well, well, that just like what's happened to Nascar since Ironhead died. Nothing but PC caca.

Mis dos centavos.Very nice words from Daddy and appreciated. I made my response to this idiot before I read this mistake?;) I will say this-my definitive response that there were / are no decent places for sushi in BsAs has certainly produced a number of possibilities to prove me wrong. So, a definite positive and I may eventually thank this Marion70 dude. Or not.

An addition posted Friday the 16th, early in the morning-Marion70 is dead on about his recommended restaurant Yuki. So, I am officially retracting my reference to him as an "idiot". He is certainly not an idiot as regards his knowledge of Japanese restaurants in BsAs. Good on ya, Marion70 !

El Perro
01-15-09, 18:31
Duly noted COD and thanks for the post. I will hit this place soon and make a report. I will also try out the Yuki place touted by Marion70, even if I only look at the menu.

Daddy,

Yes, you are not halucinating, it does exist and I believe the restaurant you are referring to is KITAYAMA. I have eaten here several times and yes it has more variety compared to the average Japanese restaurants scattered all over the city. However, quality and variety comes at a cost and KITAYAMA and is more expensive than the average Japanese restaurant.

Address: Virrey del Pino 2448

Between Cabildo and Ciudad de la Paz.

Belgrano R.

Nearest subway stop is J. Hernandez of the D (green) Line.

Tel. No.: 4788-9955

If possible, call and make reservations at it is not that big of a place.

Jackson
01-15-09, 18:40
If Exon can't call this tool a cocksucker.DR,

Exon is welcome to call Marion70 anything he wants, including a cocksucker or a motherfucker.... IN A PRIVATE MESSAGE!

Thanks,

Jackson

El Perro
01-15-09, 19:23
It is 7:20pm in good ol BsAs and your intrepid sushi trooper, Doggboy, has reservations for uno at Yuki for 8pm. I leave momentarily for this recommended joint in Congreso and will hop on a bus with which I am unfamiliar and take a chance.

Report to follow.

El Perro
01-15-09, 23:32
Yes! A diamond in the RUFF! Much thanks to Marion70 and I retract my rude and crude reply to his post. In his post Marion70 refers to this place as "original". A better translation for speakers of english would be "traditional". A beautiful little restaurant on a nondescript street in Congreso, without sign or any advertisement. You must ring a bell for entrance. Very traditional japanese decor, very stylish and basic, and exactly what Doggboy likes. Small. Very good service. No bullshit. I sat at the small bar and ordered a basic sashemi boat and had them add on a bowl of rice. Already in love as I can see the variety of fish in front of me. Much to choose from. From abalone to octopus. Professionally done and presented. Accompanied by an Asahi. Presented with an appetizer, gratis. 3/4 of the way through the meal I had done my bowl of rice. The sushi barman sets more rice in front of me. I had not asked for it. A first in my experience. The fish is fresh, as is the wasabi.

Unfortunately, my spanish remains mediocre. But, the fellow who cuts the fish and appears to be the owner, indicated this place was founded by his father some 40 years ago. I can understand why the Japanese embassy would recommend this place. Light years better than any other place I have been to in BsAs. No comparison. Forgive me, but still not up to snuff compared to a few top rate places in the states and elsewhere, but that is a very picky criticism on my part. Damn good, and for Buenos Aires, pretty close to a miracle.

El Perro
01-16-09, 01:07
Any chicas?El Sid-60p for the sashemi, I think they added in 9p for the unlimited rice and 15p for the Asahi. In and out for 84p and I left a righteous tip. I'm guessing the approximate same meal at my fav place in Miami Beach would have been about $35US. Better in Miami Beach, but not by a whole lot.

No chicas. This is a quiet, relaxed but formal, traditional, small, Japanese restaurant. It is all about the food and heritage.

Don't go in there with your dick hanging out and two 100p notes between your teeth.;)

El Perro
01-16-09, 10:28
Damm, I wanted some Japanese geisha girls! None available in the back room? Sayonara, SidIt is a short cab ride from San Telmo. I guess it is in Congreso, though I saw somewhere, where somebody listed it as being in San Cristobal? On Pasco, between Independencia and Chile. A nothing little street.