PDA

View Full Version : Printing e-books or making copy in volume.

Tessan
01-26-09, 17:10
I brought a few e-books with me, when I came to BA. Since I am going to be in BA for 2.5 months, and like to read. I can read them on my laptop ok, but I like to read sitting outside at a café, and it's not safe to sit with your laptop outside. I did so 2 years ago, for a short time, and within 30 minutes, I saw a street guy sneaking up behind me, slowly. I put the laptop away, and he stopped.

The book I want to read is 512 pages long. I had planed to print up one of the books at home before I went to BA, but my printer got screwed up, and kept jamming, and telling me it was out of paper, when it was full.

I went to a local printing store, they told me 50 centavos per page. I ask him, if he does back and front, would it count as one page, he said no, 2 pages. So I am talking about 256 pesos, to print one of the books. I remember WT69 said he has a place that printed back and front, and changed you one page. He does not remember well where that was, I PM him.

Does anyone know of any reasonable priced places to print stuff in volume?

SmilesX
01-26-09, 17:44
Have you thought about investing in a portable reader?

The Sony PRS-500 Portable Reader System costs around us$180 - 300

Tessan
01-26-09, 18:30
I brought a Sony reader over a year ago. I have not used it much, at home I read using my laptop. In NYC I sit outside with my laptop no problem at cafes. Many people do. Never seen anyone try to take one, by force. The Sony reader is bad for PDF. Has 3 sizes for text, and even the biggest is still very small for the PDF. Though it is fine for books in other formats.

I think the reader is as likely to get robed as a laptop. Although losing 180-300 dollars is better then losing over 1000 on my laptop. I did not bring the reader, since the books I have are in pdf format, and the reader sucks for pdfs.

Emory
01-27-09, 13:37
Try the Print House, http://printhouse.com.ar/ They have branches around the city. Last time I checked it was 30 centavos per page for under 30 pages and over was 15, however this was six or seven months ago. If not try all the copy places around the Facultad de Medicina, much cheaper.

Tessan
01-28-09, 18:17
I just talked to them on the phone, for something like 500 pages they will charge 20 centavos a pg, which is much cheaper then the 50 centavos I was quoted in the other place.

There is a place near me on Av. Cordoba 1383. Phone number 4813-8495

Capn Rick
01-29-09, 14:54
A Windows capable phone? If so, you can use the Microsoft Reader app to load and read in comfort. I believe the app is free to download from the MS site. If you have any Windows PDA, the same is possible.

I have 25 Dell Axim PDAs that I bought for my wife to use to help her math students learn computing. If you need one, let me know -PM. Depending on the model, could be around USD100.

I use these PDAs to download talking books which I play in the car on long trips using an FM transmitter to put the sound through my car stereo. Works great.

You are wise to be very careful with a laptop in AR. I use a PDA to check my email in free WiFi zones. Wish I could justify a Windows capable phone, but I find that paying AR20 per 90 days prepaid service is all I need. Can't justify the USD $40/ month for a contract with internet cellular service.

I also have several iPhones for sale. Don't they have a Reader app?

Suerte -Rick