PDA

View Full Version : Street Protests on Avenida Puyeredon

Gato Hunter
02-26-09, 21:17
What are all of these Doble Mano protests I have been seeing on Av Pyueredon y Juncal (sp)

They have been at it for a few days now. They are really pissed off from the looks of it.

Facundo
02-26-09, 21:43
What are all of these Doble Mano protests I have been seeing on Av Pyueredon why juncal (sp)

They have been at it for a few days now. They are really pissed off from the looks of itA two way street. They are probably protesting the turning of Avenida Puyeredon just for the exclusive use by busses and taxis from Avenidad Puyredon / Las Heras to Puyredon / Cordoba.

Gato Hunter
02-26-09, 21:51
I would of never figured that one out. I thought it meant two hands, and moving more people in the neighborhood from what I saw on todos nosotros and my craptastic spanish skills.

At one point today they were outside of Checkers and Roxanas place with a vengeance. There was a fire truck that I thought was going to start hosing them down.

Facundo
02-27-09, 07:36
I would of never figured that one out. I thought it meant two hands, and moving more people in the neighborhood from what I saw on todos nosotros and my craptastic spanish skills.

At one point today they were outside of Checkers and Roxanas place with a vengeance. There was a fire truck that I thought was going to start hosing them down.Those angry protesters made the front page of the La Nacion. They are pissed because the local government is making Puyerredón into a two way avenue just like it was in the 80's. Also, an additional 2 or 3 bus lines will be able to use Puyerredón directly to cut down on travel time. The protesters see the two way avenue (doble mano) as creating more accidents, pollution, etc. Etc.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1103811&pid=5912292&toi=6256

Gato Hunter
02-27-09, 10:26
I was just walking back from the lavandaria and protesters are mobbing the city workers trying to change the street signs for two way traffic.

There was one group trying to stretch a rather thick logging chain across the street attaching it to two telephone poles on either side of the street. The police stopped them before they could get it all the way across. They had big pad locks on the ends.

MiddleAgeGuy
03-02-09, 10:17
Just read this this morning. Explains all the strange security types, (all women) I saw on the street corners on Sunday morning when I was walking for a few blocks there.

Also, I can't remember if it was 2 way or not before, but around Santa Fe, it turns into 2 way now.

BadMan
03-02-09, 10:43
It used to be a two way street in the 1980's.

It is now a two way street starting at Libertador and ending at Cordoba.

Those that live on the side streets like the idea because it will move the collectivos out of the side streets and onto the main street.

Those living on the main street believe it will increase noise, building vibration, accidents and pollution.

This is being done on a 90 day trial period.

I understand both sides. There is no right or wrong.

Regards,

BM

Gato Hunter
03-02-09, 11:07
In my opinion someone that lives on Azquenaga has more clout than someone on Puyeredon.

Azquenaga now has no collectivos on it, they all run on Puyeredon.

I have also seen quite a few near head on collisions on Azquenaga. People are hauling ass down Vincente Lopez and go to make the right only to meet cars at a red light. Same goes at Las Heras.

The first few days they had traffic police standing on certain corners flagging people down. They had one guy with one of those clicker counters counting people trying to go the wrong way, and another guy in the middle of the street avoiding cars and blowing a whistle. This has now ceased.

I also saw some collectivos crossing the centerline on Puyeredon in traffic.