PDA

View Full Version : Disguising yourself as a non-Tourist

Quick78
03-04-09, 03:29
From what I've read, it seems you get quoted, double or sometimes triple the price if you:

A) Are an American tourist and / or.

B) Speak no spanish.

I speak Spanish fluently, but what else is needed to have to deal with the overpricing?

Gato Hunter
03-04-09, 10:40
1. Do not wear shorts with socks and sneakers, this is gringo active wear. Also makes you a mark for pickpockets etc.

2. Never tell chicas it is your first time in a club. Tell them you have been there many times with your porteno amigos, if they ask where are they now say home with the novia.

3. Never tell chicas its your last night here. You will not get better send off service.

I have more but these are the big ones. Dressing like the locals helps blend in. I can fit the bill until I speak.

Quick78
03-04-09, 14:39
Thanks Gato, I appreciate the help. Just one question. How do the locals dress? And since we're on the subject. I imagine their must be some kind of dress code for the higher end clubs like Black, right?

Jackson
03-04-09, 16:25
How do the locals dress?Hi Quick78,

The standard Argentine look consists of a rumpled collared shirt, shirt tail out, jeans/pants that appear to have never been laundered, and filthy dirty athletic shoes, combined with a disheveled hair and a two day old stubble.

In other words, the Kato Kaelin look.

In my observation, this combination is apparently correct for any event and in any situation.

Thanks,

Jackson

Argento
03-04-09, 18:19
Hi Quick78,

The standard Argentine look consists of a rumpled collared shirt, shirt tail out, jeans / pants that appear to have never been laundered, and filthy dirty athletic shoes, combined with a disheveled hair and a two day old stubble.

In my observation, this combination is apparently correct for any event and in any situation.

Thanks,

JacksonYea. Without designer stubble you will stand out like dog's balls. So that dishevelled Latin look, so beloved of the advertising agencies promoting masculine fragrances and casual clothes is directed at Latinos; Westerners are the peripheral market I guess.

Argento

Gato Hunter
03-04-09, 21:24
Thanks Gato, I appreciate the help. Just one question. How do the locals dress? And since we're on the subject. I imagine their must be some kind of dress code for the higher end clubs like Black, right?Black is a waste of time, read my postings.

Tessan
03-04-09, 21:47
Thanks Gato, I appreciate the help. Just one question. How do the locals dress? And since we're on the subject. I imagine their must be some kind of dress code for the higher end clubs like Black, right?I have not been to Black this year, but last year I went in with shorts, sneakers and a shirt, they didn't say anything, so I guess there is none. If you look really bad, I guess they will not let you in, but no real dress code is my guess.

Quick78
03-05-09, 03:21
Hi Quick78,

The standard Argentine look consists of a rumpled collared shirt, shirt tail out, jeans / pants that appear to have never been laundered, and filthy dirty athletic shoes, combined with a disheveled hair and a two day old stubble.

Thanks,

JacksonThat's also the look that has been sporting around Miami Beach for quite some time. I wonder if it was due the Argentines bringing that look over, or them ripping it off when they went back? Chicken and the egg scenario.

Hubbster
08-25-09, 19:28
That's also the look that has been sporting around Miami Beach for quite some time. I wonder if it was due the Argentines bringing that look over, or them ripping it off when they went back? Chicken and the egg scenario.You won't get in any clubs dressed like that in MB and you won't be taken seriously either.

As for BA I'm just too big to be taken for a local unless I tell them I'm a rugby player but then my US clothes give me away even though I speak spanish fluently but Arg claim I have a wierd accent