PDA

View Full Version : Dress code?

Va Steve
06-01-09, 12:20
I'll be making my first trip to BA in two weeks, and I couldn't find an answer to this questio. What's appropriate dress for a guy during the day and in the evening? Jeans or casual slacks for sightseeing? Do men wear jackets in the evening or a nice shirt and slacks? What to wear for a visit to a tango show?

Thanks.

Joe Hernandez
06-01-09, 12:25
If it's not work related whatever makes you happy, if it's work related probally dress or formal.

If you like to hit the milongas you should be looking at easy fitting shoes and clothes and normally a t-shirt.

Daddy Rulz
06-01-09, 12:51
I'll be making my first trip to BA in two weeks, and I couldn't find an answer to this questio. What's appropriate dress for a guy during the day and in the evening? Jeans or casual slacks for sightseeing? Do men wear jackets in the evening or a nice shirt and slacks? What to wear for a visit to a tango show? Thanks.One of the cool things about BsAs is you can dress as you wish. I would wear a coat and tie or suit to work until you figure that out. As far as day time dress, jeans and t-shirts are fine but you wouldn't feel out of place with slacks and a blazer either. You ask about tango shows, most milongas are fairly casual, but if you're going to a spectacular than I would wear coat and tie.

Artisttyp
06-01-09, 13:57
I'll be making my first trip to BA in two weeks, and I couldn't find an answer to this questio. What's appropriate dress for a guy during the day and in the evening? Jeans or casual slacks for sightseeing? Do men wear jackets in the evening or a nice shirt and slacks? What to wear for a visit to a tango show? Thanks.Try packing for a month. You will see all sorts of looks in BA. My favorite are the old men in their italian tweed countryside look. On the other hand you keep having to remind yourself that this is a city in modern day SA. IMHO the glamour of yeserday is long gone. It is a question of do you want to look like you have money or not. From what I saw that is what people were trying to convey with their style. IMHO not the wisest thing to do while mongering or in SA for that matter.

I am dressing so I don't get overcharged at privados and just formal enough to squeak by in a nice restaurant (People will size you up by your appearance). Otherwise I will be crawling the streets and apts for trash and would like to remain incognito.

Dickies work pants do wonders. They can be a dress pant or jean depends on what type of shirt you wear with it. Wool shirts by "wooolrich" can easily be spruced up to be a dress shirt. Work boots that you can polish and make look like dress shoes. Carhartt " anything"!

With all the luggage restrictions these types of clothing are the only ones versatile enough for me.

Joe Hernandez
06-01-09, 14:12
Do you really get rejected at a restaurant?

Artisttyp
06-01-09, 15:06
Do you really get rejected at a restaurant?No you don't get rejected but that is when I would like to be a little more formal.

Butcher
06-01-09, 16:20
Great advise! Thanks for the info.

Try packing for a month. You will see all sorts of looks in BA. My favorite are the old men in their italian tweed countryside look. On the other hand you keep having to remind yourself that this is a city in modern day SA. IMHO the glamour of yeserday is long gone. It is a question of do you want to look like you have money or not. From what I saw that is what people were trying to convey with their style. IMHO not the wisest thing to do while mongering or in SA for that matter.

I am dressing so I don't get overcharged at privados and just formal enough to squeak by in a nice restaurant (People will size you up by your appearance) Otherwise I will be crawling the streets and apts for trash and would like to remain incognito.

Dickies work pants do wonders. They can be a dress pant or jean depends on what type of shirt you wear with it. Wool shirts by "wooolrich" can easily be spruced up to be a dress shirt. Work boots that you can polish and make look like dress shoes. Carhartt " anything"!

With all the luggage restrictions these types of clothing are the only ones versatile enough for me.

Joe Hernandez
06-01-09, 16:44
No you don't get rejected but that is when I would like to be a little more formal.Me too.

But from my experience about everything is allowed. I know a few restaurants that are not really like that but only a few.

El Queso
06-01-09, 23:47
Really all kinds of dress is acceptable to most people. We were in a very nice place the other night and I was wearing jeans (nice, clean) with deck shoes and a sweater / sweatshirt kind of thing that is casual but nice. I definitely felt under-dressed, but no one stared, or put their hands to their face and gushed "ai que terible!" or anything like that. In fact, I saw more than one group come in who had someone young (say early twenties, late teens) that were in a very raggy-looking t-shirt, shabby jeans and the patent hair on head and face (hard to explain unless you've seen it - a cross between a buck-toothed werewolf and a beaver maybe) with no one making a scene about their appearance.

I will post about the place in the restaurant section if I can remember the name. It was a very good experience. They had oysters.

Whiskas
06-02-09, 03:14
In fact, I saw more than one group come in who had someone young (say early twenties, late teens) that were in a very raggy-looking t-shirt, shabby jeans and the patent hair on head and face (hard to explain unless you've seen it - a cross between a buck-toothed werewolf and a beaver maybe) with no one making a scene about their appearance.

2.I know what you mean, these breed of spoiled brats with wise ass attitudes.

What the devil happened to men in the world? Most of under 25 guys look like they came out of a thyphoon after an epidemic.

When it comes to dress code I think there are many ways to dress comfortable but with a bit of style. Clean shaven face is a plus in my opinion but hell maybe I'm just getting old and turning into my dad!

Exon123
06-02-09, 12:23
I'll be making my first trip to BA in two weeks, and I couldn't find an answer to this questio. What's appropriate dress for a guy during the day and in the evening? Jeans or casual slacks for sightseeing? Do men wear jackets in the evening or a nice shirt and slacks? What to wear for a visit to a tango show?

Thanks.You should dress to look like Jackson, Always in basic "Black" this is very Argentine.

Exon

BadMan
06-02-09, 16:46
maybe I'm just getting old and turning into my dad!Coming from someone who is currently in his 20's and dresses rather well. I would agree with your statement above.

Or should we all forget the 60's,70's and 80's and all those freaky trends aka bell bottoms, afros, platforms, bowl haircuts, greasers, spandex (yikes) oh and we can't forget the Elvis side burns. I could go on. The 80's to me was like the walk of shame for the fashion industry, I am so glad I was in daipers for most of it. But hey, people were into it back then, who am I to hate on them.

I don't think the way you dress has anything to do with how much of a " man " you are either. It has more to do with personal taste, background, age, social and financial status.

Because if style of dress is any indication of one's " manliness ", then the Founding Fathers would be nothing more than a bunch of wig wearing, cross dressing, cake faced faggots. But that is obviously not the case.

I think the older we get the more we resemble old obsolete programs pining for the days when they were once a useful utility. But it happens to all of us. And there is dignity in recognizing that. Not like Madonna who eternally dresses like she's 18. But then again to each his or her own.

Regards,

BM.

Btw. Do not take offense to the picture, it is only a simple frippery added solely for the purpose of levity and jest.

BadMan
06-02-09, 16:52
The weather is currently very cold, so keep that in mind when packing. Evening jackets and sweaters are a good idea right now.

Other than that, simply dress for the occasion as you normally would in the States. No need to try and " fit in ". But yes, the standard daytime attire here for someone who is not " on the job " is simple slacks or fitted jeans, polo shirt or t-shirt and some nice " clean " kicks aka shoes (sneakers or loafers will do) And like Exon said, you can also never go wrong with black.

Don't forget a comfortable jacket. I usually don't wear jackets, but in this weather, it is advisable.

Regards,

BM

Thanks.

TejanoLibre
06-02-09, 17:20

Thanks.I have only seen (2) nightclubs that have a ¨no jeans ¨dress code that seems to be forgotten the moment that you start speaking english and passing around dead presidents.

You will do just fine with KHAKIS, Corderoys and Jeans that are in good condition.

Avoid tennis shoes for the better dinner dates but NOBODY should ever go to a nice place with a nice girl wearing tennis shoes! If your NOT a rock star you can't pull it off.

Again, these are long haired, unshaven, thick side-burned, blue blazer wearing politicians. And that's the male presidents!

Don't wear a Hawaiian shirt with burmudas and a fanny pack while your walking around Boca at night though!

This is Europe. It's the same but a lot hotter.

As for over-dressing it will never happpen to you.

You will not even get near the beautiful people that actually give a shit what you might dress like!

No Chance!

I don't care what you may have but those people do NOT go out to the same places. It's too dangerous and too below them!

You may get to Jet (but you won't get in) or you may get to Sunset but the REAL girls will NOT talk to you and they won't give a shit about what your wearing!

When I say REAL Girls I mean the Vedettes and the psuedo-celebrities. The girls that only fuck Soccer Players.

Your coming to meet W H O R E S! They will look at your shoes first, then your teeth and then your wallet!

TL.

Don't stress about dress!

Of course I wear austentacious Luchesse ostrich boots with a special order roach killing tip, ripped Levi 501's and a huge State Seal of Texas Belt Buckle!

Works everytime! Throw in a bull-rider's hat and your done!

No bull-shit on the boots! They are the number (1) ice breaker.

Every single girl will look and comment and touch and like, etc.

They do not exist here.

Joe Hernandez
06-02-09, 17:46
If you use an expensive jacket you have to think about the fact it can get stolen, especially in the bars.

I useally use a cheap windjacket that I can leave everywhere and is still there once I go home. The nightlife normally ends somewhere between 4 and 7 at night and it can be pretty chilly then.

I normally go to a upscale bar in Olivos near Sunset and many times the jackets were stolen there. That especially happens in the winter.

I assume this is a problem in every bar in BA.

QuakHunter
06-02-09, 18:08
I have only seen (2) nightclubs that have a ¨no jeans ¨dress code that seems to be forgotten the moment that you start speaking english and passing around dead presidents.

You will do just fine with KHAKIS, Corderoys and Jeans that are in good condition.

Avoid tennis shoes for the better dinner dates but NOBODY should ever go to a nice place with a nice girl wearing tennis shoes! If your NOT a rock star you can't pull it off.

Again, these are long haired, unshaven, thick side-burned, blue blazer wearing politicians. And that's the male presidents!

Don't wear a Hawaiian shirt with burmudas and a fanny pack while your walking around Boca at night though!

This is Europe. It's the same but a lot hotter.

As for over-dressing it will never happpen to you.

You will not even get near the beautiful people that actually give a shit what you might dress like!

No Chance!

I don't care what you may have but those people do NOT go out to the same places. It's too dangerous and too below them!

You may get to Jet (but you won't get in) or you may get to Sunset but the REAL girls will NOT talk to you and they won't give a shit about what your wearing!

When I say REAL Girls I mean the Vedettes and the psuedo-celebrities. The girls that only fuck Soccer Players.

Your coming to meet W H O R E S! They will look at your shoes first, then your teeth and then your wallet!

TL.

Don't stress about dress!

Of course I wear austentacious Luchesse ostrich boots with a special order roach killing tip, ripped Levi 501's and a huge State Seal of Texas Belt Buckle!

Works everytime! Throw in a bull-rider's hat and your done!

No bull-shit on the boots! They are the number (1) ice breaker.

Every single girl will look and comment and touch and like, etc.

They do not exist here.This is hilarious. So sad it is true, though.

Very funny TL.

Jackson
06-02-09, 18:51
The standard Argentine look consists of a rumpled collared shirt, shirt tail out, jeans / pants that appear to never have been laundered, and filthy dirty athletic shoes, combined with a disheveled hair and a two day old stubble.

In other words, the Kato Kaelin look.

In my observation, this combination is apparently correct for any event and in any situation, including television appearances, presidential inaugurations, family weddings, etc., so I don't know why it wouldn't be acceptable for upscale restaurants and clubs.

Thanks,

Jackson

BadMan
06-03-09, 01:20
I like to refer to it as the "Shaggy" look. As in Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Kato was just trying to emulate Shaggy's swag .

In other words, the Kato Kaelin look.Regards,

BM.

Member #3320
06-03-09, 02:55
The standard Argentine look consists of a rumpled collared shirt, shirt tail out, jeans / pants that appear to never have been laundered, and filthy dirty athletic shoes, combined with a disheveled hair and a two day old stubble.

In other words, the Kato Kaelin look.

In my observation, this combination is apparently correct for any event and in any situation, including television appearances, presidential inaugurations, family weddings, etc. So I don't know why it wouldn't be acceptable for upscale restaurants and clubs.

Thanks,

JacksonI agree with Mr Jackson.

Most of the Argentine men in BA dress very very shabby.

Women do have a sense of fashion but still not upto the mark.

The educated college going girls do notice men's shoes pretty much.

If you are meeting some up scale w h o r e s, they would notice your clothes as well and not say anything if you are shabbily dressed. However, if you are wearing something smart / slick, they would give you a compliment or two, which is always heartening if coming fom a good looking woman albeit a w h o r e.

Joe Hernandez
06-03-09, 10:39
I like girls / woman in formal office clothes and there are plenty of them in BA especially in Microcentro. I think they are well dressed in general.

What I hear from American and European girls is that the office guys in general are well dressed and have there shoes cleaned a lot, but it's cheap of course in BA to have your shoes shined.

Hubbster
08-20-09, 21:02
For some reason Argentines don't respect people wearing shorts.

Once I was trying to get into Sodoma w 2 American friends, we were all wearings shorts and the door guy didnt want to let us in. He called the Manager who took 1 look at 3 Americans and almost dragged us in LOL.

In nicer parts of town I've gotten dirty looks in shorts, even been cased by security in shopping malls which is pretty hilarious

Hubbster
08-20-09, 21:33
Make sure you dress DOWN. Nothing flashy.

Don't be flashing a gold rolex w diamonds, Gold rings, an iPhone, pricey sunglasses, gold chains, American flags etc.

There are thugs and pickpockets everywhere and these things will mark you as a target instantly.

Also NEVER wear sandals. I got mugged once in BA and after that experience I wear hiking boots or shoes that I can kick some ass in if necessary. I also bought a big gnarly ring good for punching.

RE your wallet, as soon as you arrive at your destination, remove your license, credit cards, passport etc. Anything that would annoy you if swiped. Keep everything else locked up somewhere.

I usually carry a photocopy of my passport which is good in 90% of places and maybe 1 card and some pesos & USD

Slipknot
08-21-09, 10:34
I also suggest carrying 50-100 pesos in small bills in your pocket that is easy to pull out to pay for taxis, buy gum, etc. While in the street. That way you are not having to pull out a wallet / money clip, and have it available for a snatch and grab.

Joe Hernandez
08-21-09, 12:18
For some reason Argentines don't respect people wearing shorts.

Once I was trying to get into Sodoma w 2 American friends, we were all wearings shorts and the door guy didnt want to let us in. He called the Manager who took 1 look at 3 Americans and almost dragged us in LOL.

In nicer parts of town I've gotten dirty looks in shorts, even been cased by security in shopping malls which is pretty hilariousI don't think it's uncalled for that you get rejected for bars / clubs etc if you wear shorts (and sportshoes or sandals?)

Hubbster
08-21-09, 19:04
I can understand clubs and bars but why do shops have to have that silly attitude?

Yes I was wearing shorts but if they paid attention I had a nice shirt on.

Its just goofy sometimes

El Queso
08-21-09, 20:05
I've lived here for three years and I wear almost exclusively shorts in the summer time. I've never once been even questioned or looked at overly-strangely wearing shorts in all this time. They're not gym shorts, to be sure, nor cutoffs or that doesn't look nice.

I might think twice about going into a nice restaurant dressed like that, but even local parillas where people can be a little standoffish, I've never had a problem. I've been to many boliches dressed in shorts.

In fact, much of the younger crowd goes around in ratty or old shorts, crappy t-shirts, long hair, unshaven. I've seen guys as old as their mid-thirties dressed like that.

I don't think one will have much problem in most situations, but there are people who will give someone problems about anything.

Damman
08-22-09, 02:00
Was refused entry to the main club house at the track in Palermo (Hipodromo) because of dress code: no Nikes. They were quite hard nosed about it. Could not pay my way around it. Pissed me off big time. Will have to find another avenue to piss my money away. Only good for one f... a month, what is an old fart to do?

El Jake
08-22-09, 03:01
Well said. Haha. I wear my roach-corner-kickers all over Argentina as well.

Re: the post about respect and wearing shorts. In Latin America, not just Argentina, "boys wear shorts and men wear pants." It's just the way it is. Even in tropical countries where wearing pants doesn't make much sense.

Argento
08-22-09, 04:03
Well said. Haha. I wear my roach-corner-kickers all over Argentina as well.

Re: the post about respect and wearing shorts. In Latin America, not just Argentina, "boys wear shorts and men wear pants." It's just the way it is. Even in tropical countries where wearing pants doesn't make much sense.Just back from the restaurant and the concert from the country band 'The South.' Dress code is anything goes. Singlets, trackshoes, mostly jeans and tops. Really just the same as the equivalent venue anywhere in the western world. Where it gets picky here is when the venue has a few pretensions about status and class. No different really than most places in the world. Try fronting a good quality restaurant in Los Angeles, Dallas or New York in sandles and shorts and they will be all 'booked out'. The difference with Argentina is that there are pretentous restaurants in Bs As that are only that. Pretentous! The food is stock standard Argentine food, no better or worse than 99% of the others. They just think they are better than the rest.

Argento

Hubbster
08-24-09, 02:08
I found the perfect long pants for sweaty summer days.

Nike's Tiger Wood's golf line has very nice dress pants in Dryfit in many colors.

Fantastic in the summer, much better than wool, linen, cotton etc

Davidko45
08-06-19, 13:13
I got to a very good forum. There are many dirty forums on the Internet. Yesterday I walked a lot and made sure for the sake of interest.