PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu

Quick78
06-11-09, 14:49
I just read this report off yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/un_un_swine_flu

Read farther down to the bottom, as the report mentions Argentina. I just wanted to get the local's take on things down there.

Guiller
06-11-09, 19:35
Quote from the article: "There's much anxiety over how the virus will act in the Southern Hemisphere, because the zone is currently showing a large number of new cases, in particular Australia, Chile and Argentina," Cordova said.

Well, it's winter in the southern hemispherium.

Wild Walleye
06-12-09, 19:05
When you get off the airplane, there is a person handing out masks and they ask that you wear it (I guess through passport control) Considering that they are the type that you tie on, and everyone has bags and stuff in their hands, most people do a pretty half-assed job of putting them on. They thermal screened about every third passenger on my flight (that I could see) I tossed the mask, which I never really got on correctly as soon as my passport was stamped.

I tried not to couch on anyone, but I was making 'oinking" sounds (oh wait, that wasn't at the airport, now that I think of it)

Quote from the article: "There's much anxiety over how the virus will act in the Southern Hemisphere, because the zone is currently showing a large number of new cases, in particular Australia, Chile and Argentina," Cordova said.

Well, it's winter in the southern hemispherium.

Gavinm136
07-04-09, 17:04
I got to Cordoba on the 23rd of June. When we got off the plane every passanger was thermaly screened. And only the people working at the airport had the masks on. Cordoba is really Bad (I work in the entertainment industry) They have canceled 9 of our shows along with all public gatherings, schools are put on break for 1 month. But I have been told the BA is not nearly as bad.

JustGotBack
07-11-09, 15:44
I'm heading to BA soon. What's the current flu situation?

There's really no point in going if the city is shut down.

Artisttyp
07-11-09, 17:11
I got to Cordoba on the 23rd of June. When we got off the plane every passanger was thermaly screened. And only the people working at the airport had the masks on. Cordoba is really Bad (I work in the entertainment industry) They have canceled 9 of our shows along with all public gatherings, schools are put on break for 1 month. But I have been told the BA is not nearly as bad.I was told that the government held back information prior to the recent elections. They didn't want to scare anybody from going out to vote. At least this is what a taxi driver told me. All the new "scare" news really is old news.

I was also told that the numbers are so staggering in the provencia due to the size and number of people vs the city itself.

You will probably catch a cold like I did. Just in case of an emergency ask your doctor for "tamiflu" to bring with you. In order for it to work you need to take it immediately at the onset (time frame 2 days) or else it will not work. I wound up using my pills as a precaution. I don't have swine flu but I do have a nasty cold.

BA will run your ass down. Try to get a good night's sleep or even an afternoon nap. Keep your immune system strong. Bring vitamins and hand sanitizer. When you are in a foreign country it isn't safe to eat raw vegetables but you need to compromise somehow or else your body will fail you. A green based superoods powder would also be very helpful.

I recommend www.iherb.com for your vitamins. Best deal on the net and they are reliable!

Artisttyp

Spassmusssein
07-11-09, 19:45
-reading "Clarin" yesterday I found an article explaining that in GB (this is NOT in Argieland, it is a country called Great Britain) people are meeting to GET INFECTET with "gripe A" (as it is the "Gripe Americana, as til today, no porc has died) they want the infection to be imune after the first infeccion.

Nice idea.

And really, we all have to finish life one day, so I am promoting that ANYBODY (not me) has to wear one of those senseless "barbijos". So I can still show my face.

What posiblamente I will never get in. You love to "bareback". But WITH BARBIJO to avoid a comon flue.

El Queso
07-12-09, 02:55
-reading "Clarin" yesterday I found an article explaining that in GB (this is NOT in Argieland, it is a country called Great Britain) people are meeting to GET INFECTET with "gripe A" (as it is the "Gripe Americana, as til today, no porc has died) they want the infection to be imune after the first infeccion.They sound like candidates for a Darwin Award.

http://www.darwinawards.com/

'Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do.' --Bertrand Russell

El Queso
07-12-09, 23:53
Went and saw a movie tonight in Pilar at the Village Pilar. The Proposal with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. Standard wrong-crossed lovers story, but it was hilarious, at least.

The area where the theater has is like a little mini-mall with a Cuspides bookstore, a couple of restobars, a Burger King, a couple of bigger restaurants and so on. Across the street a Siga la Vaca (I think there's one in the city on the Costenera, good place to eat - all you can parilla with a good salad bar)

The place was PACKED. Could hardly move around. Very little parking and unusually the parking lots are huge. Not too many people worried about the flu it seems, unless they are looking to infect themselves in the latest fad maybe.

Stan Da Man
07-13-09, 17:52
I am going to be in Brazil next week and thought about heading down to BA for a few days. Personally, I fancy the boliche scene in BA. If it has been shut down or diminished considerably due to fear of swine flu, then I probably would not bother.

Anyone have any first hand reports about how the higher end boliches are faring amid all this tumult?

I also have the alternative of returning in August for a week. If memory serves, that would be near the end of winter in BA. I suspect things are likely to be even worse at that time, at least if those who make projections about these sorts of "pandemics" have any science to back them up. What do you guys think? Do you see things getting progressively worse? Are they shuttering more places week-by-week-by-week?

I've heard the government extended school breaks and turned a mid-week holiday into a 4-day weekend to try to head things off at the pass. Still, they've got the highest death toll in South America. That sounds worse than it appears, however. It's still less than a hundred, at least for the "confirmed" count. Given the estimates of the death toll from the "ordinary" flu, BA's experience seems consistently mild like everywhere else, even though there appears to be massive alarm like everywhere else. Will the apparent hysteria subside, or is the sky really falling? If the government starts to force businesses to shut down, I would think that restaurants and boliches would be the first to go. Thoughts?

Md2000
07-13-09, 20:14
I actually also have concerns.

The program that I was going to be a part of has canceled almost half of its activities. Of course that was only half of my intention for coming. I hope my other intention isn't affected as well. Can anyone give me a better run down of the situation of not only the boliches but the regular clubs as well?

Artisttyp
07-13-09, 20:27
I actually also have concerns.

The program that I was going to be a part of has canceled almost half of its activities. Ofcourse that was only half of my intention for coming. I hope my other intention isn't affected as well. Can anyone give me a better run down of the situation of not only the boliches but the regular clubs as well?Privado " Gysells" said they wouldn't service anyone with a cold or cold symptoms. They also mentioned all clients must shower first. I never went back for that reason. Too much hassle.

Right before I left I picked up a cold which I still have. I sounded rather hoarse but still managed to *get by. I was worried that I wouldn't get serviced. I used nose drops to clear my nasal passage and made sure I had a losenger before I went.

It s a tricky question. Things started to heat up as I was leaving. If I was planning a trip to BA at this specific time I would be having doubts. However with some people its not an issue yet. It's hard to tell. I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

El Perro
07-13-09, 20:52
A news item in the BA Herald today indicated that maybe the gripe had reached its peak and was now waning, at least in Capital Federal. As for clubs, I have seen little change in the Triangle. I can't speak for the Recoleta clubs except for the infamous Brut, which remains a den worthy of Sodom and Gomorrah late night. But not for the early to bed or weak of heart.

Cuartito was packed the other night.

I think generally its been a little slow lately what with the combo of gripe and cold weather. Supposed to touch freezing tonight or tomorrow night.

Another thing to consider is that Macri has been the anti-overreacter and not closing anything for the most part in the city.

If I were coming down, I'd come on down.

Wild Walleye
07-16-09, 13:49
I was there several weeks ago as it was starting to spread and they started thermal scanning passengers and asking them to wear masks.

In the name of science, I set out to see if I could ascertain the likelihood of transmission in crowded spaces and then in less crowded more personal spaces with smaller groups (2-3 total) I also researched various modi of transmission, from general social contact (handshakes, kiss on cheek, close discussions in noisy environments) and more direct physical contact including various mucous membranes, lots of saliva and other bodily fluids.

My research project lasted about a week and included many different scientific and gymnastic exercises. Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for the scientific community at large, I was unable to locate a carrier of the gripe or ascertain that any of my methods were successful in determining the modus of transmission.

I did however, reinforce my love for science and highlight the need for ongoing research in the field. I am currently writing up a white paper on my experiences and will be submitting it to Chairman MaObama for government funding of future studies. If successful in obtaining a government grant, I will look to expand my research staff and also include studies of gripe transmission in fine dining and drinking establishments.

I hope some day to be able to demonstrate the safety of both public and private encounters and show that there is an inverse correlation between mongering activities and the gripe.

Please feel free to add any of your own individual research datum and if any of you would like to underwrite the next study, which will be organized as a tax exempt 501(c)3), you can receive the additional benefits of having a full-time wingman and the tax deduction.

Wild Walleye
07-19-09, 03:01
Ok, there might have been a night or two that I had my beer goggles on. I am not sure but maybe I bedded down a madura with an english lilt.

Wild Walleye
07-20-09, 14:19
I comply by avoiding some swine!To avoid nailing pigs. However, there have been a few nights with beer goggles on that I may have risked cavorting with a pig.