PDA

View Full Version : Air Raid Sirens

El Queso
06-14-09, 20:36
This is a question for guys who have lived here a long time, or Argentinos who read this and know, maybe.

Out here in the 'burbs, one can be enjoying a peaceful day, evening, night or early morning, when suddenly you hear this noise, like a quiet horn of some type, building in strength to the point where it is very loud and somewhat distant, and you realize that you are hearing an air raid siren going off. Of course, the first time you hear this, you want to go a window and looked to see if some terrorist (maybe some old ex-Nazi descendant living here?) Is flying overhead and about to drop something deadly on the populace.

It cycles for about two or three minutes, then falls off and dies out, leaving the day suddenly very quiet as nature re-emerges audibly.

Then, after about two or three minutes of tranquility, you can hear the siren starting up again and it goes through its routine once more.

Always comes in twos, as far as I can remember. I suppose that I may have become so used to it by now that it only does it once sometimes?

Anyone know what this is? I suppose I should ask one of the locals, but I don't know the word for siren (Google only translates the Greek myth related "siren", not an air raid siren and "alarma" doesn't seem right) and about the only time I notice it is when I'm in my house - I never think of asking about it when I'm out and about or see a guard walking down the street.

Slipknot
06-14-09, 21:26
I heard the same siren out here in San Fernando the other day, and was told by the locals it was the Bomberos. Volunteer Fire Department.

Wild Walleye
06-15-09, 00:29
I should have warned you all. My friends (thanks Bob) Carla and Sabrina came over last night. The initial low howl was me, the loud screaming sound was Carla (I have a new prosthetic) and the hearty chuckle was Sabrina. I can assure you that Argentina was not being invaded, however, two argies were.

I will try to send out an AP warning in advance of creating a similar disturbance.

This is a question for guys who have lived here a long time, or Argentinos who read this and know, maybe.

Out here in the 'burbs, one can be enjoying a peaceful day, evening, night or early morning, when suddenly you hear this noise, like a quiet horn of some type, building in strength to the point where it is very loud and somewhat distant, and you realize that you are hearing an air raid siren going off. Of course, the first time you hear this, you want to go a window and looked to see if some terrorist (maybe some old ex-Nazi descendant living here? Is flying overhead and about to drop something deadly on the populace.

It cycles for about two or three minutes, then falls off and dies out, leaving the day suddenly very quiet as nature re-emerges audibly.

Then, after about two or three minutes of tranquility, you can hear the siren starting up again and it goes through its routine once more.

Always comes in twos, as far as I can remember. I suppose that I may have become so used to it by now that it only does it once sometimes?

Anyone know what this is? I suppose I should ask one of the locals, but I don't know the word for siren (Google only translates the Greek myth related "siren", not an air raid siren and "alarma" doesn't seem right) and about the only time I notice it is when I'm in my house - I never think of asking about it when I'm out and about or see a guard walking down the street.

AllIWantIsLove
06-15-09, 02:38
This might help:

http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=siren

Out here in the 'burbs, one can be enjoying a peaceful day, evening, night or early morning, when suddenly you hear this noise, like a quiet horn of some type, building in strength to the point where it is very loud and somewhat distant, and you realize that you are hearing an air raid siren going off. Of course, the first time you hear this, you want to go a window and looked to see if some terrorist (maybe some old ex-Nazi descendant living here? Is flying overhead and about to drop something deadly on the populace.