PDA

View Full Version : 3D in theaters

El Queso
07-06-09, 15:37
For those of you who like to go to the movies and also like 3D, be careful. The Village cines (there is one in Recoleta that many of you may know of, there is another one out here in Pilar, and a few others here and there) are nice theaters, very modern and comfortable with every amenity one would expect, say, in the States.

However - a touch of the Argentine way of dealing with things may surface.

My wife took her younger sister to see a 3D movie about a month ago (I don't remember which one it was) The cost was 3 pesos in addition to the normal fee. I'm not sure exactly why it's extra, because the theater provides the glasses (they are not the paper ones that we knew in the past - apparently much more well-built) and has someone at the exit collecting from everyone that leaves the theater. In addition, they must have some sort of a chip embedded because they had sensors at the building exit, which my wife reported went off a few times as people tried to leave with the glasses.

But recently, she took her sister to Ice Age 3. She thought it was 3D (thats what the theater advertised) paid the extra, and when she got to the theater, there was no one there giving out glasses. She figured they would come before the movie started and hand them out.

Never happened. The movie started, no glasses, and she said the movie was so dark and blurred that it was almost painful to watch. On exiting the movie afterward, she complained and wanted her money back. The cashier shrugged and said that the movie was in 3D and she apologized for not having the glasses, but according to the cashier, it was still very watchable. What a joke.

We thought maybe that was a one-off thing. Her father and her older sister's kids are visiting for the school vacations for a week, and they were in town and decided to go to Recoleta to see Up in 3D. Same thing happened, but afterward she was told that Recoleta doesn't even have a 3D room, that Pilar is the only one who does.

Wow. But they still showed the movie, dark and blurry. No money back, and had to pay the extra money for 3D even though it didn't happen.

WorldTravel69
07-07-09, 16:17
The IMAX theatre is a bit far, near Vicente Lopez, they show movies in 3D.

Had to think about for awhile. TL, his girlfriend and I saw U2 in Concert in 3D at the theater. I can't remember the name of it. Look in the paper. We took the 52 bus to get there. The same coming back. Two hours to get there from his restaurant and one hour to get back. You can also take the train and then the bus starting from the Retiro station.

For those of you who like to go to the movies and also like 3D, be careful. The Village cines (there is one in Recoleta that many of you may know of, there is another one out here in Pilar, and a few others here and there) are nice theaters, very modern and comfortable with every amenity one would expect, say, in the States.

However - a touch of the Argentine way of dealing with things may surface.

My wife took her younger sister to see a 3D movie about a month ago (I don't remember which one it was) The cost was 3 pesos in addition to the normal fee. I'm not sure exactly why it's extra, because the theater provides the glasses (they are not the paper ones that we knew in the past - apparently much more well-built) and has someone at the exit collecting from everyone that leaves the theater. In addition, they must have some sort of a chip embedded because they had sensors at the building exit, which my wife reported went off a few times as people tried to leave with the glasses.

But recently, she took her sister to Ice Age 3. She thought it was 3D (thats what the theater advertised) paid the extra, and when she got to the theater, there was no one there giving out glasses. She figured they would come before the movie started and hand them out.

Never happened. The movie started, no glasses, and she said the movie was so dark and blurred that it was almost painful to watch. On exiting the movie afterward, she complained and wanted her money back. The cashier shrugged and said that the movie was in 3D and she apologized for not having the glasses, but according to the cashier, it was still very watchable. What a joke.

We thought maybe that was a one-off thing. Her father and her older sister's kids are visiting for the school vacations for a week, and they were in town and decided to go to Recoleta to see Up in 3D. Same thing happened, but afterward she was told that Recoleta doesn't even have a 3D room, that Pilar is the only one who does.

Wow. But they still showed the movie, dark and blurry. No money back, and had to pay the extra money for 3D even though it didn't happen.

Fernando22
07-07-09, 17:31
I never had any problem in any Argentine cine nor in any theatre.

Nor had it any friend that I know.

Looking at many of your reports seems you have an overwelming bad luck with the people around here, El Queso!

El Queso
07-07-09, 18:35
Fernando - when was the last time you went to 3D movie here (which is what the post was about specifically) The truth is, I've seen many, many movies here in Argentina, and never had a problem. The whole thing with the 3D glasses has only happened since they recently started showing 3D movies on occasion.

And actually it wasn't my bad luck because I wasn't there. It was my wife, her younger sister, her older sister, her older sister's two kids, her older sister's two kids' nanny, her cousin, and her father - all of whom are Paraguayans and when talking in Guarani (her father and the nanny don't speak spanish) it is obvious that they are Paraguayan. Was that why they had problems in this particular case? I doubt it - the theater goers were probably mostly Argentinos and they had the same problem.

Understand that though I write about these things, I don't hate Argentina nor Argentinos (in fact, for the most part I enjoy living here) and I speak nearly fluent spanish. I write these things so that people who think of moving here (the land of sex is very attractive to many in the States if they can find a way to live here) should understand that they will have to put up with the same sort of stuff if they do so, that being a tourist is WAY different than living here.

In fact, I have a good friend here who is from Holland and he has had many of the same experiences (not the theater, but other things I write about).

I have more than a few Argentino friends who complain about similar experiences in theaters and just about every other aspect of life here. Maybe around half of those friends were, over the last couple of years, trying to immigrate other countries (because they had relatives there) Not to mention many ex-pats who simply don't write about their issues, but we talk a lot. I'm far and away not the only one:)

El Queso
07-07-09, 18:41

Had to think about for awhile. TL, his girlfriend and I saw U2 in Concert in 3D at the theater. I can't remember the name of it. Look in the paper. We took the 52 bus to get there. The same coming back. Two hours to get there from his restaurant and one hour to get back. You can also take the train and then the bus starting from the Retiro station.Yeah it's at Norcenter, across the Panamericana from Unicenter. In fact, we just went to see Transformers there last Wednesday (though it was not in 3D) It's a pretty good place. Unlike most theaters (well, at least the Village theaters, where I go about 98% of the time) they do not have assigned seating, which is not all that good there because the movies are usually quite crowded and you have to stand in line at least 30 minutes ahead of time (the theater says 45 mins) to make sure you get a decent seat. I think they only have one IMax theater, so showings are limited in relation to a regular theater as far as times go, or what is being showed.

There is a new theater at the new Dot Baires mall, which is just inside General Paz, where Panamericana intersects. In addition to regular theaters they also have a luxury theater where you can sit and order food in a nice-sized seat, etc. I'm very interested in trying that out:)

TejanoLibre
07-10-09, 22:41
Yeah it's at Norcenter, across the Panamericana from Unicenter. In fact, we just went to see Transformers there last Wednesday (though it was not in 3D) It's a pretty good place. Unlike most theaters (well, at least the Village theaters, where I go about 98% of the time) they do not have assigned seating, which is not all that good there because the movies are usually quite crowded and you have to stand in line at least 30 minutes ahead of time (the theater says 45 mins) to make sure you get a decent seat. I think they only have one IMax theater, so showings are limited in relation to a regular theater as far as times go, or what is being showed.

There is a new theater at the new Dot Baires mall, which is just inside General Paz, where Panamericana intersects. In addition to regular theaters they also have a luxury theater where you can sit and order food in a nice-sized seat, etc. I'm very interested in trying that out:)Take the 59 bus from La Madelein and it will drop you off in the front row of the I-Max!

A truly worthwhile experience boys!

U2 was like sitting on stage with all the cute Argie girls screaming at you.

The (3) concerts were filmed at River stadium.

It's the ONLY I-Max in S. America.

24,000 watts of sound plus like (36) speakers and sub-woofers that make you want to puke from the compression on your guts!

The dragons flying through the air in Harry Potter made your stomach flaten and you could feel the air as the wings flapped!

They need to turn it up a notch for U2.

The glasses are high-tech. Not the old paper style found inside of your cracker jack's box!

Check it out!

TL.

P. S - How about ¨Deep Throat¨in 3-D. Bettter bring an umbrellla!

Joe Hernandez
07-10-09, 23:11

Had to think about for awhile. TL, his girlfriend and I saw U2 in Concert in 3D at the theater. I can't remember the name of it. Look in the paper. We took the 52 bus to get there. The same coming back. Two hours to get there from his restaurant and one hour to get back. You can also take the train and then the bus starting from the Retiro station.From retiro you go to the Martinez station and walk about 3 blocks (about 300 yards or so) to Avendida Santa Fe, walk across the street and take the 707 with the green plate that says unicentre.

Takes you about 50 minutes to get to Unicenter from retiro at night. I have never been to the IMAX but that should be within walking distance

WorldTravel69
07-11-09, 12:30
Ops, it was the 59. There are two 59s, one does not go the Shopping Center.

The problem is after the show is trying to find the bus stop to come back. When you come out of the Shopping center you must walk to the right. There is a bus stop on the corner, but one time we walked to the station. The station is about 4 or 5 blocks away.

But of course, if you have a car, there is lots of parking.

Had to think about for awhile. TL, his girlfriend and I saw U2 in Concert in 3D at the theater. I can't remember the name of it. Look in the paper. We took the 52 bus to get there. The same coming back. Two hours to get there from his restaurant and one hour to get back. You can also take the train and then the bus starting from the Retiro station.