PDA

View Full Version : Common law marriages

El Alamo
08-08-09, 10:35
Does anyone know whether common law marriages in Argentina, Brasil or Paraguay are recognized in other countries I. E. Is a common law marriage in Argentina recognized in the United States, or is a common law marriage in Paraguay recognized in Brazil etc.

Thanks

Towncryr
08-08-09, 13:58
I think you'll find it will vary depending on which state you're going to be domiciled in. That is, of course, if O'Bommie the Commie doesn't totally wipe out state bounderies in his (and of course his puppet'ers) quest for the Supreme Soviet of Amerika.

I was a paralegal in Georgia and that state changed the Common Law marriage law about 10+ years ago. The reason was that so many blacks would never get married, a spouse would die and the courts would be clogged unmercifully with those suits.

You'll have to do your specific homework.

I would be interested to know how those catagories of laws are applied in Argentina if anyone has those specifics.

Gracias!

El Queso
08-08-09, 16:04
The US itself does not recognize common law marriages as far as immigration issues go. I know this because I have done some research on getting my wife a visa and ran across what constitutes marriage to the US State Department and the INS.

As far as common-law marriages being accepted for other purposes (alimony, estate inheritance, etc) that can't apply because under common law marriages, whichever state may support it, you both have to have resided in that state for whatever time is required to be considered a common law marriage.

Which means that if you are living outside of the States, common law marraiges in foreign countries do not count as marriages in the States in any fashion.

As far as other countries - I sincerely doubt it.