PDA

View Full Version : UK Sterling Exchange

Local Lad
08-31-09, 13:18
Whenever I travel to Argentina I always rely on US$ that I bring with me, Credit and Debit cards for cash machines / restaurants. It has struck me that I am changing £ to $ in the UK and then changing $ to Pesos in Argentina. Is it possble to change £ to Pesos once I get to Argentina. I usually change a reasonable amount of $ at the exchange location between security and arrivals at the airport. Or is it the case that £ are not really in demand and you will get a very poor rate of exchange or not be able to exchange at all? Any advice appreciated.

Ian111
08-31-09, 13:29
Last year found an Exchange in a small shopping arcade on west side Av.9 de Julio, just south of Alvear. Nice man in office who rang up for exchange rate which was ok.

Will use him again when we are in BA next month

Seaman
08-31-09, 15:30
At Corrientes, between Florida and San Martin, there are a few "gold" shops. One of them has actually a gold colored front.

That place will happily change your US$ or GBP for a good exchange rate. I normally get at least the rate posted at www.dolarhoy.com. This of course without documents and commission.

Flexible Horn
09-01-09, 05:48
It has struck me that I am changing £ to $ in the UK and then changing $ to Pesos in Argentina. Is it possble to change £ to Pesos once I get to Argentina.I only take £'s as I'm English and have had no trouble changing them into pesos in BSAS. I have used over 10 places in my time the safest, if your concerned I have found is CAMBIO AMERICA, SARMIENTO 501 tel 4393-0081.

You will need your passport.

Lucas90
04-01-10, 00:23
New to the forum, but for any UK travellers, here are some other options from recent experience. On my last few trips I've brought pounds or euros and changed both with no problem at the Banco De La Nation branch at EZE terminal 2 (as you go through customs, before you emerge into the main hall, look to the right and you'll see their counter - usually not much of a queue, you're in a secure area and rates are comparable to what you'll find in town) Avoid the cambios near the bag return - their rates are a massive rip-off. For slightly better rates than be de la N, head for Sarmiento street in Centro (corner with Florida, heading down the hill) There are many cambios here with decent rates. Best I saw last week was Paris Cambio (Sarmiento 299) where I changed pounds (passport needed, open until 5pm weekdays) Puente up the road were matching their rate. It's definitely worth shopping around, as the rates for UK sterling vary significantly. To illustrate, Paris Cambio was offering 5.76 last week, Banco De La Nation (at EZE) 5.70, Banco Meridian 5.61, Metropolis Cambio in Recoleta 5.18 (I used to change pounds in HSBC in Galerias Pacifico in Florida, but last time I went, they didn't recognise the newer 20 pound notes and wouldn't change them. If you don't want to use a cambio and are happier changing in a bank, Banco Meridian (corner of Florida with Peron) is fast & efficient but their rates are a bit lower. Nearer Santa Fe and Retiro, Transatlantic Cambio (San Martin & Alvear) was offering 5.70 recently for UK sterling. I've not found anything competitive in Recoleta, and local bank branches won't do foreign exchange for extranjeros.

UK debit cards will work at the Banelco cashpoints but most seem to have a limit of 1,000 pesos and you'll be hit with bank charges and currency conversion charges. You can make up to three separate withdrawals to get round the limit but you'll get the charges three times over. A good tip is to withdraw 990 pesos to ensure you've got a supply of smaller notes for small outgoings (changing 100 peso bills puts you at risk of the fake note scammers) Suerte!

Flexible Horn
04-02-10, 11:57
The best place I have found this trip to exchange cash £s $s Euros is an exchange place on Corrientes at 520.

In the 3 months I have been here the lowest rate I was given was 5.8 and the highest 6.2.

Their rates match or better the best rate on dolar hoy, I found if I changed larger amounts ie £500 at a time I would be given a better rate.

No passport needed. Just your cash.